Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SkollUlfr

should "captain skills" even be allowed in competitive modes?

10 comments in this topic

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

since that seems to be a point of contention, neutralising this time/grind gating system in ranked and competitive parts of the game would seem to be an obvious solution.

making these modes specifically about the ship, the equipment choices and the player ability.

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,927 posts
15,447 battles
18 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

neutralising this time/grind gating system in ranked and competitive parts of the game would seem to be an obvious solution.

<hordes of vodka purveyors and ladies of negotiable affection in the environs of WG's office burst into tears>

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

<hordes of vodka purveyors and ladies of negotiable affection in the environs of WG's office burst into tears>

they can switch to tequila. it will go with the salt dunes.

• Funny 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles

Ranked is just like randoms, only with smaller teams.

Modes, that can be called competetive, like CBs, are only played by a minority of players anyway, so why would that matter actually? I dont think most people complain about the captain rework, because they dont have 21pt captains in CBs. And most competetive players actually have the resources to buff captains to 21 points. I could get 5 right away with the elite commander XP i have stacked (which i wont btw).

Whether you use a 19 or a 21 pt captain might just be the difference of having a 2nd 2pt skill or not, at worst its a 2nd 3pt skill. If you wanna take 3 4pt skills you need 18 points, which leaves you with 3 points till 21. So you either could take a 3 pointer or one of each 1+2 point skills. I doubt that 1 skill makes the difference between do or die.

• Cool 2

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles
2 hours ago, LemonadeWarriorITA said:

Lets not make the game even more shallow...

this is exactly what 'competitive' does though.

takes the most 'OPtimum' ships, in the most 'OPtimum' combination, backed up with the most 'OPtimum' skill combination that a players exp can get for that ship.

resulting in the same few ships, with the same few builds, camping the same few islands.

what im pointing out here, is that removing captain perks from competitive would sidestep the 'grind' of levelling those captains. 

weegee could even give access to versions of the ships with those buffed mechanics built in for the purpose of the competitive modes.

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,459 posts
7,192 battles
6 hours ago, SkollUlfr said:

this is exactly what 'competitive' does though.

takes the most 'OPtimum' ships, in the most 'OPtimum' combination, backed up with the most 'OPtimum' skill combination that a players exp can get for that ship.

resulting in the same few ships, with the same few builds, camping the same few islands.

No, it is not.

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles
5 minutes ago, LemonadeWarriorITA said:

No, it is not.

the constant arguing about over represented ships, with common 'optimised' builds, producing battle replays of ships slowly creeping around islands for 15+ minute matches doesnt exist then?

[TFSB]
109 posts
1,986 battles

There's alot of competetion with the commander points aswell. The ship itself is designed to be good at specific things. The commander points however, can help you "repurpose" the ship, and fit it to your playstyle, to some degree. So I wouldn't take the commander away, as the small boosts can make a huge difference. Thats just my opinion though :cap_like:

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles
15 minutes ago, Immoxb said:

The ship itself is designed to be good at specific things. The commander points however, can help you "repurpose" the ship, and fit it to your playstyle, to some degree.

i understand this.

it just doesnt mesh with years of reading threads saying specific skills are must have vs trash in context of selected ships, resulting in distillation of what look like very few builds for those ships.

even discussions about limiting teams so they cant use multiples of the same ship.

Sign in to follow this