Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ocsimano18

Fen Yang Reviews

43 comments in this topic

Players
10,377 posts
12,044 battles

TL;DW

Remove anything that makes Akizuki class an effective ship while keeping all the negatives of the hull:cap_tea:

• Cool 9

[-TPF-]
Players
4,669 posts
19,137 battles

I can never get to the end of Carbine Carlito's videos. It's that soothing Irish accent - it turns WoWS into ASMR and I always fall asleep before he gives his conclusions.

• Funny 4

Players
3,203 posts
18,610 battles
48 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I can never get to the end of Carbine Carlito's videos. It's that soothing Irish accent - it turns WoWS into ASMR and I always fall asleep before he gives his conclusions.

I watched 8 seconds and I'm already so annoyed I will wait for other reviewers.:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,938 posts
20,778 battles

So essentially, Fen Yang is Mui Pfui.

• Funny 5

[-TPF-]
Players
4,669 posts
19,137 battles
20 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Mui Pfui

I'm up for that. The camo should look like this. A whole squadron of them.... :cap_wander:

267426918_Fenyang.thumb.jpg.19bfbe8c0df6efee63dc6a295043a628.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[CAIN]
Players
4,938 posts
20,778 battles
15 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I'm up for that. The camo should look like this. A whole squadron of them.... :cap_wander:

267426918_Fenyang.thumb.jpg.19bfbe8c0df6efee63dc6a295043a628.jpg

Ohhh, i wants them Mui HUIs!

...or, as they are called around here: Nom Noms. ^^

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles

4,5 second reload on these guns? Sorry but that, and the Asashio style torps is a deal breaker for me.

EDIT: Doesn't come with the 30mm base pen either. That puts her squarely in the nope category for me.

Players
1,575 posts
17,990 battles

There is also a video from NoZoupForYou, which was so bad that I revoked my YT subscription.

I mean FY trades away not only a ton of dpm thanks to the reload nerfs, any chance to ward of an enemy CA/CL (on top of DDs) from rushing its smoke due to the torps not being PA DWT but Asashio DWT torps, but also loses the HE penn rule that WG implemented into any IJN DD running the 100mm guns.  So you need IFHE to even pen T8-10 DDs hulls. Which means that not only do lose a ton of damage potential vs CA/CL (and BBs with IFHE chosen), you also need a DD captain that has no synergy with pretty much any other PA DD. And given that PA only has DDs as researchable ships, that's quite bad with how the Rework will change the commander+premium ship interaction.

And despite all that, the sum of NZFYs video was basically "a ton of pros, but as a major con some lacklustre mobility"... WTF! The mobility is better than Akizuki (same shitty turning circle, but superior rudder shift), how can that be a con? And how can he not list the loss of 13mm of HE pen as a major downside of that ship?

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
2 minutes ago, Khaba_Gandalf said:

And how can he not list the loss of 13mm of HE pen as a major downside of that ship?

More like 16mm as a lot of folks run IFHE on the Aki, myself included, and that's how much you lose with IFHE on both..

[THIR]
Players
949 posts
4,682 battles
21 minutes ago, lafeel said:

4,5 second reload on these guns? Sorry but that, and the Asashio style torps is a deal breaker for me.

Base reload is 5,2 seconds by now iirc.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
6 minutes ago, Stormhawk_V said:

Base reload is 5,2 seconds by now iirc.

Ooof, just gets worse..

[R3B3L]
Players
1,421 posts
32,685 battles
12 minutes ago, Khaba_Gandalf said:

a video from NoZoupForYou, which was so bad that I revoked my YT subscription.

how can he not

NZFY is a lost case, I unsubbed long ago. He hasn´t been up to date for a long time. And since his wife gave birth to twins (which is a great thing) he is only mumbling about how deprived of sleep he is. And oh my kid is on the lap, ha ha ha oh it make this and it makes that ha ha ha aw cute. He basically makes a family-blog, dunno why he even bothers putting "wows" in the description.

Back to the ship; they should have kept it a Akizuki while putting it on T9. Freemium-for-Pan-Asia-problem solved imo. And I would have gladly unlocked it by some currency. In this state I a praying to not get it from a crate.

• Cool 2

[IDDQD]
Players
752 posts
15,492 battles
8 minutes ago, lafeel said:

More like 16mm as a lot of folks run IFHE on the Aki, myself included, and that's how much you lose with IFHE on both..

Akizuki is DD hunter, IFHE build means no RPF and choices between SE, BFT and DE becomes semi-must. With 12.5km range and most BBs will have 38mm+ decks (except UK and FR, but those don't like to play close enough)

since the change to base pen, i found IFHE build on Aki suboptimal and even on Kita, because you have to trade it for something better. Haragumo is viable, but not that great either as your targets are limited, and running crazy stuff like AFT or Range mode make even more sacrifices

• Cool 1

Players
10,377 posts
12,044 battles
8 hours ago, RAYvenMP said:

Akizuki is DD hunter

No. She and following ships are closer to citadelless cruiser, both in DPM and in handling.

Try "hunting down" DD that almost universally outspots you and outruns you:cap_tea:

Players
1,077 posts
18,199 battles
10 hours ago, Khaba_Gandalf said:

There is also a video from NoZoupForYou, which was so bad that I revoked my YT subscription.

Did this a long time ago. His reviews could be written by WG PR department.

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,141 posts
22,942 battles
12 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Ohhh, i wants them Mui HUIs!

Well, you don't want to say that in Poland. :Smile_trollface:

10 hours ago, Khaba_Gandalf said:

Wow, never thought I'd see someone who was still subbed to him. I don't wish that guy anything bad, but gung-ho fanboyism went out of style long time ago.

And about the topic at hand, I'm not surprised the ship is bad. WG likes to overvalue DefAA, so Fen Yang never had a chance to be good. And with the bad primary armament, it's not going to be average either.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[IDDQD]
Players
752 posts
15,492 battles
2 hours ago, Panocek said:

No. She and following ships are closer to citadelless cruiser, both in DPM and in handling.

Try "hunting down" DD that almost universally outspots you and outruns you:cap_tea:

6.1km (irrc) is very solid concealment, paired with RPF, 100-300m difference wont save the other DD from getting spotted also, especially when you know what direction are they comming from. IJN torp line DD could be the only one challenging , but luckily , most of them love to go solo/yolo at flanks for easy prey.

Yes, you are not fast, but you dont have to chase ships you can kill in 15 seconds, right? And they gonna spend 10s out of those 15 just in to attempt to turn

you are free to play your Akizuki as you want, just remember that each Aki played as cruiser is one extra DD for the enemy.

if you opt to play IJN daka line as cruiser,  you will often find yourself in a position that you can't deal with DDs, you can't reach the BBs and cruisers will either spam HE from safe position/range or they will have radar, hence you won't be able to influence the game at all.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts

IDK I kinda always try to force caps in zuki and kita and when I have to retreat start fires on bbs, now Feng might actually be interesting to play, kinda like the zuki of yee olden times just with derpier fish...

[IDDQD]
Players
752 posts
15,492 battles
4 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

IDK I kinda always try to force caps in zuki and kita and when I have to retreat start fires on bbs, now Feng might actually be interesting to play, kinda like the zuki of yee olden times just with derpier fish...

Feng will certainly be worse Aki. Guns not good enough for knife fights and torps with not enough range to reach BBs.

she might perform worse in T10, but more flexible in T6 maybe (defAA for smoke DD will be fun for T6 CVs)

too bad she did not get 5.8 or 5.9 conceal, as thats kinda tied with pan-asian line gimmick

• Cool 1

Players
10,377 posts
12,044 battles
40 minutes ago, RAYvenMP said:

6.1km (irrc) is very solid concealment, paired with RPF, 100-300m difference wont save the other DD from getting spotted also, especially when you know what direction are they comming from. IJN torp line DD could be the only one challenging , but luckily , most of them love to go solo/yolo at flanks for easy prey.

Yes, you are not fast, but you dont have to chase ships you can kill in 15 seconds, right? And they gonna spend 10s out of those 15 just in to attempt to turn

you are free to play your Akizuki as you want, just remember that each Aki played as cruiser is one extra DD for the enemy.

if you opt to play IJN daka line as cruiser,  you will often find yourself in a position that you can't deal with DDs, you can't reach the BBs and cruisers will either spam HE from safe position/range or they will have radar, hence you won't be able to influence the game at all.

Then you discover Cossack being a thing - 5.5km concealment, handles like a dream with decent speed + Engine Boost, similar smokes in operation, actually outguns Feng and have hilariously fast reloading torps to boot.

• Cool 3

[IDDQD]
Players
752 posts
15,492 battles
2 hours ago, Panocek said:

Then you discover Cossack being a thing - 5.5km concealment, handles like a dream with decent speed + Engine Boost, similar smokes in operation, actually outguns Feng and have hilariously fast reloading torps to boot.

so you decided to play Akizuki as cruiser-like HE spammer because there is a chance you will go against Cossack?

what you quoted was my Akizuki post, not Feng. Feng won't outgun Cossack, but Akizuki will, and further he runs/kite the better for Akizuki

• Cool 1

Players
1,575 posts
17,990 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, Aragathor sagte:

Wow, never thought I'd see someone who was still subbed to him. I don't wish that guy anything bad, but gung-ho fanboyism went out of style long time ago.

What can I say do my defence? xD

Think I have ~130 YT subscriptions (most of them not wows related), unless a video triggers you like that one did you sometimes forget to hit the unsubscribe button and if it isn't that active anymore anyway, it flies beneath ones radar so to say...

Vor 3 Stunden, Aragathor sagte:

And about the topic at hand, I'm not surprised the ship is bad. WG likes to overvalue DefAA, so Fen Yang never had a chance to be good. And with the bad primary armament, it's not going to be average either.

True, if it had the regular pen with slightly worse reload (say half a second) or simply the old 1/4 pen, I would have maybe picked her up. But yeah, the DEFAA tax is real. 

Players
2,588 posts
19 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

I watched 8 seconds and I'm already so annoyed I will wait for other reviewers.:Smile_hiding:

I watched 25 more and started looking around for piece of rope...

• Funny 3

[BOBS3]
Beta Tester
519 posts
19,230 battles

Really needs that pen buff, I blinsided a kagero and got into auto spot range and struggled to put it down with the HE, should have been over in 3 salvos, took more and gave someone else time to secure the kill too.

Sign in to follow this