Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bindolaf_Werebane

Question about captain XP ahead of changes

7 comments in this topic

Players
829 posts
8,035 battles

Straightforward question.

I have about 600k captain xp accumulated. Should I spend it now to train up some captains, or hoard them? 

P.S. I will never have enough to promote one captain to 21.

Thanks.

Players
3,184 posts
14,794 battles
11 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

I have about 600k captain xp accumulated. Should I spend it now to train up some captains, or hoard them? 

Thanks.

your commanders will not gain anything by increasing them now, so it's probably best to wait until after the patch to see what you do with/where you place the commanders.

• Cool 1

[ALYEN]
Players
2,597 posts
4,358 battles
37 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Thanks.

I am spending my ECXP as I go .... I rarely have more than 100k at a time ... I don't see a reason to not spend them ...

• Cool 1

Players
829 posts
8,035 battles
23 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

I am spending my ECXP as I go .... I rarely have more than 100k at a time ... I don't see a reason to not spend them ...

Retraining, mostly, when switching ships. I'm f2p, remember ;)

[SM0KE]
Players
6,934 posts
15,447 battles
1 hour ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Should I spend it now to train up some captains, or hoard them? 

I'm taking the 'hoard' approach:

• For a start, I think I'll have enough to get at least one 19 pointer to 21, and want to experiment with a few 'full' builds during the free reset.
  • Secondarily, until we actually get to grips with the rework, we won't know definitively what works and what doesn't (where are the noob traps, for instance); if you apply captain xp to a specific captain, it's locked there, whereas you have more flexibility if you keep it in the general pot. It might be the case that you inadvertently apply it to a captain who becomes of less use after the rework.
  • The new patch kicks in on Thursday; nothing much will be messed up by waiting for a few days.

(Edit for stupid spelling mistake!)

• Cool 1

[ALYEN]
Players
2,597 posts
4,358 battles
2 hours ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Retraining, mostly, when switching ships. I'm f2p, remember ;)

yep, mostly for the same ....

• Cool 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
2 hours ago, Salentine said:

best to wait until after the patch to see what you do with/where you place the commanders.

Actually moving your captains around now will save you doubloons, I moved 30 captains around in anticipation of the changes, retraining is completed for free when 0.10.0 goes live, saved me 1.500 doubloons even with the one month long 90% discount on retraining.

To answer OP - Smartest way to use captain XP in my opinion is as follows
- Have one good destroyer, one good cruiser and one good battleship at every tier (T5 and up) with a good captain (L15+)
- After that, spend all your captain XP getting one or two captains to max level - In a premium or permacamo ship you enjoy.

This way you always have what you need for ranked/clan battles at any tier and you turn your favorite ship(s) into elite XP farms.

The shortest path to good captains in good ships is getting rid of ships and captains you don't need, you don't need 50 ships with 50 captains. A small fleet with high level captains is always better than a massive fleet with lower level captains, not just because you have higher level captains, but also because you know your ships better.

Especially now because they're about to let you salvage 25% XP of captains you don't need anymore, get rid of boats you don't play and 12pt captains you don't need.
So like, my only T7s are Gadjah Mada, Fiji and Sinop with max level captains. My only T8s are Lightning, Baltimore and NC with max level captains etc. Super easy to keep high/max level captains if your fleet is small. And that doesn't mean stop grinding, just keep grinding to collect T10s for annual supercontainers.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Sign in to follow this