You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sunleader

Massive Balance Changes with Captain Skill Rework.

47 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,181 posts
9,978 battles

So. This is not a Secret. And many have already Noticed it.

But with the Captain Skill Rework. There will also be some Potentially Massive Changes to the Balancing of the Game.

Including massive Changes to the Balancing of many Premium Ships.

Supercruisers are getting a Massive Nerf.

The New Cruiser Skills are not only mostly not very Fitting for their Class. But they also lose Access to some of the Extremely Importand Survival Skills now Found only on the Battleship Class.

Most Notably.

Superintendend which means they no Longer get 1 Extra Consumable of each Type Including the Heal.  (Edit: Scratch this one. They only Changed the Name. So I didnt see it lol)

And Fire Prevention Expert which means they no Longer get the additional Protection from Fire Damage to which they are very Vulnearble as they get BB Class Fires.

This Nerf due to being Skill Based. Also Affects all Premium Supercruisers.

Anti Aircraft Skills for Cruisers and BBs are getting a Considerable Buff.

For Cruisers this is the most Impressive.

The T3 Skill which Increased Continues AA Damage by 10% is now a T2 Skill. So it is 1 Point Cheaper and its Buff to Continues AA Damage is Increased from the Former 10% to a Whopping 25%.

However it Only counts inside the Active Sector which means it now Requires an Active Element.

It also Adds an Additional Explosion of Flak.

The T4 Skill which Formerly only Increased the Damage of Flak by 15% has now increased that Buff of 15% to 20% for the Flak and has on top added a Buff for the Continues Damage of AA by a whopping 20%.

That Means that a Cruiser which Formerly could only Buff his Continues AA by 10% and his Flak Damage by 15% through Skills.

Can now Buff his Continues AA by 20/45% (Base and Sector) and his Flak Damage by 20% +1 Flak Explosion.

BBs however are also getting Buffed.

BBs for example now get a T2 Skill for 10% Continues and 10% Flak Damage.

As well as a T3 Skill for 25% Continues Damage in Priority Sector and 1 Additional Flak Explosion.

DDs have their Anti Aircraft Skills Completely Removed.

Yep. You Heard Right. DDs are having ALL of their Anti Air Skills Removed.

They can no Longer have an AA Build. (Poor Halland)

They do get 2 Skills which have AA Buffs as Minimal Effects.

One being Adrenaline Rush which Works the same as Before but is now more Expensive.

T3 instead of T2 Skill.

And Fearless. Which gives some Combat Buffs in Certain Situations.

And Passively Increases the Flak Explosions by 1 while also Increasing Detectability by 5%.....

Aircraft Carriers are Pushed more Towards Attacking Battleships and Cruisers and also get more Options for Intercepting Enemy Aircraft Carrier Squadrons.

They Receive Skills that Actively Reduce Torpedo Protection and Increase Damage of AP Weapons.

On Fighters they get a T1 Skill that Increases the Covered Area for Fighters.

On T2 a Skill that makes Fighters React Faster but Last Shorter.

On T3 a Skill to gain Additional Fighter Consumables.

And on T4 a Skill which MIGHT be a Game Changer. Because its Exact Details are not Yet known.

This Skill Changes how Fighters Work. They can no Longer be Destroyed by a Counterdeployment of Fighters by the Enemy CV.

In Exchange they cannot Spot enemy Ships anymore.

However. Their Patrol Radius is Increased by a Yet not Announced amount of Kilometers.

If this Increase for example was 2km their Patrol Radius would be Increased by 66%. Over 70% if the T1 Skill is Used as well.

Which means they would Cover an Area of over 10km in Diameter. Making Allowing a Teams CV to not just be much more Likely to Punish the Enemy CV for Attacking his Fleet. But Potentially even causing the Fighters to Engage BEFORE the Enemy CV reached his Target and thus Decrease his Ability to Score Effective Hits.

The Game is Moved more Towards Continues Flak again.

In Additional to the above Mentioned Changes to Cruisers and BBs which gain alot of Buffs to Continues AA.

Aircraft Carriers gain Additional Protection against Heavy Flak.

Aircraft Carriers also Gain 2 Skills which Help against getting by Heavy Flak.

One T4 Skill which Reduces the Damage Taken from Heavy Flak by 33% (Which will mostly Help Newbe CV Players as Veterans Rarely get hit by These)

And One T2 Skill which gives an Additional Repair Consumable for Aircraft Squadrons that have Repairs Available to them.

Cruisers no longer get the Option of Full Secondary Builds.

But at the same Time. All Cruisers get a Buff to their Passive Secondaries.

This will Hurt mostly Siegfried and be a Buff to most other Supercruisers.

As Secondaries on all Cruisers Including non Supercruisers. Will mostly get a Decent Buff to their Range without any Skill Costs.

While Ships like Siegfried which had a very High Base Range for Secondaries will be Nerfed by this. Because they lose the Option for Skills that would make these Secondaries Accurate and Longer Ranged.

Funny Enough.

Ägir thanks to this will actually have a Limited Return of its Secondaries.

Because with the Module it can now once more go a Range of 9.5km for its Secondaries.

As despite not having the Skill option for 20% Range. It gets a massive Buff to the Secondaries Base Range.

Siegfried meanwhile alos goes to that 9.5km for its Secondaries. But it could reach 11km before so it turns out as a Nerf for it.

However. In General this Gives almost all High Tier Cruisers the Option to Mount the Secondary Range Module. Granting them Ranges 8-9km for their Secondaries without any Skills used.

Meaning that for Cruisers this might actually be a Benefit. As their Accuracy is Generally Superior already thus not getting much use out of the 7% Dispersion.

Making it a Fairly Cheap Option for them to Mount the Secondary Module and get some Secondary Utility as they dont really lose anything from doing it.

German Battleship Secondary Builds. MIGHT BE Dead.

The Might be is because there is Rumors that German Battleships might get a Buff to their Secondary Accuracy to Compensate for the Losses Incured by the Skill Changes.

The Skill Changes itself concern this mostly on the Manual Secondary Skill.

Which is now giving only 35% Accuracy Bonus instead of the Whopping 60% it had before.

But therefore no longer Stop Secondaries from Firing at other Targets.

This of course is much more of a Nerf than a Buff. Because Secondary Accuracy is so Incredible Horrible. That without the 60% better Accuracy. They hit almost Nothing.

And thus while now Potentially in some Situations Firing in 2 Directions. They have Effectively Halfed the Damage Output towards the Target Aimed for.

The non Selected Target wont even get the 35% so even if you Assume both Sides of Secondaries Firing. The Total Damage Output of Secondaries thanks to the Horrible Accuracy is Reduced by about 20-30% thanks to this Change.

However. As said above. There is Rumors that German Battleships might get their Base Accuracy Buffed so they Reach Comparable Levels as before.

Therefore this one is a bit up in the Air.

So what do you think of that guys ?

Are these Balance Changes Intentional or just down to WG not Realizing the Wider Ranging Effects ?

Also. Do you think this will Change the Meta Considerably ?

Edit:

Oh and Pls note.

I am Human. As such I might have Missed a Big Effect.

Feel Free to Share if there is a Balance Change I overlooked.

Note tough. Only Bigger Changes.

Not "Oh this Skill Changed by 2%" or stuff like that ^^

• Cool 9

[PUPSI]
Freibeuter
12,272 posts
7 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Superintendend which means they no Longer get 1 Extra Consumable of each Type Including the Heal.

what about "Provident" (only for cruisers btw, not BBs)?

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,181 posts
9,978 battles
13 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

what about "Provident" (only for cruisers btw, not BBs)?

Oh your Right lol

My Mistake. Gonna Scratch that above.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,119 posts
22,884 battles
36 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

German Battleship Secondary Builds. MIGHT BE Dead.

Not really, they get a nerf though:

Spoiler

German Tier VII–X battleships

• Secondary battery accuracy has been increased.

Thanks to this change, the secondary battery accuracy of German battleships with the “Improved Secondary Battery Aiming” skill will increase by 50%.

So you are getting 10% accuracy less than now.

What is dead and buried is any reason to use secondaries on the French BBs. Even with the improved range they won't be hitting anything, as the +35% buff from ManSec is a joke.

And those were the secondaries that got the pen nerf before. Idiotic.

Cruisers no longer get the Option of Full Secondary Builds.

Graf Spee can get its secondary range up to almost 7km. So putting the secondary module on it might be meme worthy.

Siggy nerf sucks, but Ägir effectively is the better secondary ship now. Of course you're a tool if you push in a supercruiser now.

[NECRO]
Players
3,082 posts

"Balance"? I have been looking in vain to find this elusive state in WoWs... maybe the title should rather be "massive imbalance changes". 😂

• Cool 2

Players
194 posts

what bothers me the most is that prem ships get their gameplay changed and all you get is stupid smiles and meaningless statements from dynamic duo or trio or who cares how many of them there are ...

• Cool 5

Players
6,594 posts
4 minutes ago, hypsar said:

what bothers me the most is that prem ships get their gameplay changed and all you get is stupid smiles and meaningless statements from dynamic duo or trio or who cares how many of them there are ...

:Smile_hiding:

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,745 posts
15,129 battles

Siegfried goes from a very interesting cruiser to a boring one.

WG could easily have given it a base secondary range and dispersion buff to make it's secondaries equal to now. 

Siegfried gets a double nerf with this and the fire prevention change.

If all I can do with it is back line snipe, there are much better ships for that. My Thunderer and Slava can even benefit from that silly marksman skill.

I would love my RP back! (I know that's not going to happen)

Players
6,594 posts
3 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Siegfried goes from a very interesting cruiser to a boring one.

WG could easily have given it a base secondary range and dispersion buff to make it's secondaries equal to now. 

Siegfried gets a double nerf with this and the fire prevention change.

If all I can do with it is back line snipe, there are much better ships for that. My Thunderer and Slava can even benefit from that silly marksman skill.

I would love my RP back! (I know that's not going to happen)

Dont get pleb ships, only spend resources on the best shipbuilding the world has to offer, the legends of Soviet shipbuilding! :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 3

[NECRO]
Players
3,082 posts
Vor 18 Minuten, Karasu_Hidesuke sagte:

Dont get pleb ships, only spend resources on the best shipbuilding the world has to offer, the legends of Soviet shipbuilding! :Smile_trollface:

Have you noticed that so far no dockyard event has featured a stronk Soviet ship? I guess they are still looking for the blueprints of those legendary dockyards where all those battleships were built. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 3

[SHAD]
Players
3,745 posts
15,129 battles
30 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

Oh, you fell for the RB trap...:Smile_teethhappy:

RB trap, coal trap, doubloon trap....

All the same. 

The WG trap.

• Cool 4

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

the titanic deck band argues furiously over the position of deck chairs.

3 hours ago, Sunleader said:

This Nerf due to being Skill Based. Also Affects all Premium Supercruisers.

due to clunky fire mechanics that weegee apparently dont want to fix. or are having trouble getting solutions past corporate.

Anti Aircraft Skills for Cruisers and BBs are getting a Considerable Buff.

the squad vs aa thing needed a major change to make activatable skills important again.

though i can see this causing yet another round of "tuning" due to t10 cv... existing, and screwing up the damage range in a way that screws up lower tiers.

i guarentee this isnt matched by weegee removing fighter spotting from cv the same as they did to cat fighter for cl/ca.

this could help the fun at low tier with all the pre-dread dakka boats, but it wont. its probably only applicable at t8+ because weegee have conceptualisation problems.

This of course is much more of a Nerf than a Buff. Because Secondary Accuracy is so Incredible Horrible. That without the 60% better Accuracy. They hit almost Nothing.

this is literally only an issue at tiers the game is already broken, since only t8+ got any real boost from sec skills. but as i see a lot of t8/9 due to +2 mm, it might solve some issues for mid tier vs high tier.

on the plus side this is a buff to dd's since they wont get mauled quite as hard, when caught inside 2ndry range of a t8+ bb.

Are these Balance Changes Intentional or just down to WG not Realizing the Wider Ranging Effects ?

its likely that many devs do realise, but are hamstrung by corpo numpties.

the game is pretty easy to explain when you take general concepts presented in new ideas, but then 'filter' those ideas through a cheese grater of monetisation policy.

weegee know the campy 20 minute games are boring, and have said they desire faster paced games, so they want methods to get there. this rework being an example.

but obvious solutions contradict monetisation policy of "drive players to t10" so implanted ideas contradict current gameplay. 

but they cant complete shaft low and mid tier, as that is the welcome mat. so they make it good enough to get the hooks in, but annoying enough to make players feel pressured to not be bottom tier by power disparity.

so he spam and cv are used to force cl and dd to move, but instead of moving, players camp harder, because weegee dont want to fix the shell ballistics problem driving camping in the first place.

its a little known true fact, that 2.5x velocity, laser guided shells, are player skills, not game mechanics.

maybe we are going to get a proper rework of fire/flood and module damage next.

[SPURD]
Players
864 posts
6,559 battles

Hm, supercruisers nerfed... Except Azuma! Because she doesn't want to tank anything anyway before the flank is won. 

Dunno if any of the replacement skills are of much help though.

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
6 hours ago, Sunleader said:

So what do you think of that guys ?

Significant buff to DDs, they can no longer waste skillpoints on skills that don't work.

• Funny 4

Players
6,594 posts
1 minute ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Significant buff to DDs, they can no longer waste skillpoints on skills that don't work.

You mean, you can't have a generic DD build, you have to focus on each ship's strengths and weaknesses?

• Funny 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
6 hours ago, Sunleader said:

Supercruisers are getting a Massive Nerf.

They will burn more sure, but the only viable tactic for an ibuki fighting a kronshtadt will remain "be very quiet, hope he doesn't see me, OH GOD IT'S SHOOTING ME"

Supercruisers.JPG

• Funny 1

[ZEN]
Players
1,444 posts
14,932 battles

Also Cruisers loose Preventative Maintenance, only BBs and DDs get it, which doesn't make sense as the skill is least important on BBs as they rarely loose engine or rudder or main guns (unless French), also Cruisers loose access to the Vigilance skill which was super important for the Hydroless Italian cruisers.

All gunboat DDs get nerfed as the replacement for BFT costs the same but has half the bonus and if you want a 10% bonus it only applies when spotted and makes your detection worse.

Cruisers have 3 pointless skills buffing torpedoes which are a secondary armament at best which goes against WG's reasoning on the Hybrids don't get access to aircraft skills cause they are a secondary armament, so why do cruisers get 3 pointless skills and loose so many important ones?

There is more BS to add but it has already been given as feedback to WG and as such was ignored...

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,745 posts
15,129 battles
3 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Hm, supercruisers nerfed... Except Azuma! Because she doesn't want to tank anything anyway before the flank is won. 

Dunno if any of the replacement skills are of much help though.

And she gets an extra heal to say nope to fire damage

Players
10,374 posts
12,044 battles

5 hours ago, hypsar said:

tenor.gif

• Funny 4

[NMA]
Players
129 posts
4,792 battles
39 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Cruisers have 3 pointless skills buffing torpedoes which are a secondary armament at best which goes against WG's reasoning on the Hybrids don't get access to aircraft skills cause they are a secondary armament, so why do cruisers get 3 pointless skills and loose so many important ones?

This also made me chuckle, the whole captain skill change is being brought to us as a rework of existing skills to "diversify" the skill builds, yet Weegee bring skills like those which will be DoA, who is ever going to use them?
Then they further reduce the options to choose skills by sorting them by ship type, diversifying, my ***.
In the end you'll get pretty much same cookie cutter builds we have now, just with more sniping less brawling, and they will cost 21 points instead of 19, so people can grind the huge exp wall, get impatient and pay the $$ for it.

I just dislike when you're being treated like idiot.

• Cool 6

[PWN3D]
Players
66 posts
3,935 battles

Cruisers without some fire protection or a massive boost on recharging time for the repair parties are going to be fleeting floating tinderboxes. 

• Cool 1

[EX-TH]
Players
42 posts
7,973 battles

well, the game desperately :cap_book:the change... check the evidence (attached) Irony off

What I mislike besides those things most people concur is that they ignored unique commanders which were bought with money aka dubloooons :cap_money:. Some of the unique abilities just vanished like Ovetchkins ExpMarksman for DD, Bert Dunkirks smoke screen expert for Cruiser, Do Rang demo exp nerf...

FLINT = ATLANTA same basic guns/grenades (of course other differences) but FLINT receives no range change as „seems“  good enough. Yeah she will have an intensive surveillance, but both got already hit due to IFHE change. Furthermore the CV rework nerfed theirs former excellent AA-capability above average; HOODs too.

Other Premiums, Freemiums and Special Ships receive a totally different play style now best case or just loose formerly advertised powers. Some Ships and Captains now obviously loose essential capabilities (the super cruiser survivability discussion may be even aside).

After the CV rework refunds were offered (player decision) but now?

25CE9332-B2FA-4913-8EBC-C901B19D68D7.jpeg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[NMA]
Players
129 posts
4,792 battles
22 minutes ago, ThePeperich said:

FLINT = ATLANTA same basic guns/grenades (of course other differences) but FLINT receives no range change as „seems“  good enough. Yeah she will have an intensive surveillance, but both got already hit due to IFHE change. Furthermore the CV rework nerfed theirs former excellent AA-capability above average; HOODs too

Don't you just love how they put it up on sale for coal since it was going to get indirectly nerfed with the skill changes? Had to try milk the last out of that asset going like "BUY the STEEL LEGEND for coal now!" 

• Cool 2

[ZEN]
Players
1,444 posts
14,932 battles
50 minutes ago, bakmaita said:

Don't you just love how they put it up on sale for coal since it was going to get indirectly nerfed with the skill changes? Had to try milk the last out of that asset going like "BUY the STEEL LEGEND for coal now!" 

That's why I got Neustrashimy instead...