You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

More is less (the upcoming Commander Skills Update 19 -> 21 points - most current "reference" builds will simply cost more in new system for same functionality and will deplete great deal of resources and cause months / years of unnecessary grind)!

119 comments in this topic

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,119 posts
22,884 battles
10 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

So... please someone convince me that WG thought this through before forcing us to adopt this "upgrade"

Well, they did thought this through. But the base idea was not improving the game, but rather making the game more frustrating and not fun to play.

In the end, the whales and unicums will adapt, the new players are the ones that get the shaft.

• Cool 17

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,081 posts
18,883 battles

Hi all,

10 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Well, they did thought this through. But the base idea was not improving the game, but rather making the game more frustrating and not fun to play.

In the end, the whales and unicums will adapt, the new players are the ones that get the shaft.

The 0.1% will, possibly, shrug this off... but the rest of 99.99% players will have months and years of grind suffer... :Smile_amazed::Smile-angry:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
2,185 posts
3,922 battles
16 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

How is this "improvement" of any sort? :Smile_izmena:

Isn't the answer clear and obvious?

More money for WG. This looks like a pure and simple cash grab  Just like the Research Bureau.

Also looks like WG are trying to force change the meta by slapping their ideas of how a ship should be played on everything. Most players won't go with anything else, as they don't have the knowledge or experience to do anything else. They may turn to the CC's for guidance, but the big ones are in it for their own viewing figures, so builds / playstyles will be focused on making them look good.

At some point I expect to see every premium they have ever created offered up again as a viable option if you choose the right skills and play it as WG want you to.

• Cool 15

[-RNR-]
Beta Tester
1,379 posts
16,338 battles

WG stance is simple, pay more. I think the only reason for this change is to force ppl to spend dooblons for captain xp

• Cool 16

[KAKE]
Players
2,790 posts
6,795 battles

Yeah, it's been pretty obvious from the start that this is just about the same performance costing (an insane amount of) more exp. I don't know where it was stated (dev blog or a forum post from one of the CMs IIRC) that a 19 point captain is going to be as effective as before, but that's just straight up bull:etc_swear:.

And with what some of the new skills (and loss of skills for some classes) are likely to do to the meta (oh hello there, even more backline camping BBs), the game is just going to become less fun as well. I'm fascinated by how it's possible to create such a lose-lose situation for the entire player base. Experience players are going to be put off by the even more boring meta, and newer players are going to become put off by a seemingly endless game of catching up.

I'm at the stage where I'm getting pretty tired of this game, so I'm just going to reset all of my skippers and then leave the game alone. We'll see if WG comes to their senses at some point and essentially rework the rework again to something that's more exciting for veterans and less off-putting for fresh players. I have my doubts.

• Cool 4

Players
1,077 posts
18,199 battles

Give me a "M"!

Give me an "O"!

Give me a "N"!

Give me an "E"!

Give me a "Y"!

• Cool 5
  • Funny 10

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,769 posts
25 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Discussion

So... please someone convince me that WG thought this through before forcing us to adopt this "upgrade"... I have no words left... :Smile_amazed::Smile-angry:

As expected and noted before - its a cash grab + investment into future cash flow as premium time and premium ships just became much more valuable for any player and especially those that are more likely to spend then to grind which are the WG most favorite part of the player base anyhow...

• Cool 5

[-WHO-]
Players
129 posts
10,629 battles

This is just poor game economy design, One that confuses and creates frustration and not opportunity. It usually happens when a game developer depleted his ideas of monetization from a leading virtual currency and can't add anymore currencies with out confusing the players even more and making the ladder too steep so players loose interest in climbing it. 

From my years of experience I never seen a game company so hated for its game economy like WG (and i have seen my share of hated companies like EA) .

Been playing WOWS for a year they totally lost it. In the beginning i really appreciated their game economy now I think it crossed too many lines and the level of frustration it creates must wake the game developers. 

• Cool 6

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,526 posts
27,760 battles
46 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

5% of 5000 Captain XP = 250 Captain XP

From 19 -> 21 = 1.200.000 Captain XP

1.200.000 / 250 = 4.800 battles

So... player would need staggering 4.800 battles in order to upgrade just one single Captain from 19 -> 21... simply unbelievable...:Smile_izmena:

Only true if player wants to go from 19 to 21 with just elite xp. You forgot regular captain xp accumulated while grinding 5% extra.

Math should be: 1 200 000/ 5 250 = 228,57 battles to get 21 pointer

Otherwise good points.

• Cool 6

[_I_]
Players
1,023 posts
20,812 battles

It's going to be grand to play thunderer with sniping module indeed. Eventhough I prefer balancing on spotrange. Clearly one has to adapt these days. Maybe we can have 11 thunderers on each team blobbed together, to "counter" CVs and sniping at eachother?

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,163 posts
14,981 battles

WG clearly want 'fresh blood' to play WoWS and they are doing their upmost to upset the existing player base out of the game.  They, probably, are amazed that the CV rework etc hasn't done this already.

I thought the introduction of subs was going to be the end of the road for me but this change looks like it's done the job on me - fancy having to get another 2 captain tiers to maintain the existing performance of a 19 point captain.

• Cool 4

[HOO]
Players
2,185 posts
3,922 battles
3 minutes ago, Profilus said:

You forgot regular captain xp accumulated while grinding 5% extra.

I fully expect to see a Clan building to boost this,

Plus Flags and camo's.

• Funny 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,163 posts
14,981 battles
21 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

The 0.1% will, possibly, shrug this off... but the rest of 99.99% players will have months and years of grind suffer... :Smile_amazed::Smile-angry:

Only to find that WG introduce something else that makes the grind even longer - more captain tiers above 21?

• Funny 2

[THIR]
Players
948 posts
4,665 battles

At least for DDs the problem could be easily solved by moving Last Stand to the first row like it was already done for cruisers. Then bring back BFT to 10% faster main battery reload and we could recreate the majority of builds that we used since the original skill rework although for one point more (20 total). This way the new rework would at least not feel like a total ripoff.

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,119 posts
22,884 battles
7 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

WG clearly want 'fresh blood' to play WoWS and they are doing their upmost to upset the existing player base out of the game.  They, probably, are amazed that the CV rework etc hasn't done this already.

I thought the introduction of subs was going to be the end of the road for me but this change looks like it's done the job on me - fancy having to get another 2 captain tiers to maintain the existing performance of a 19 point captain.

The problem with this is that WoWS is a niche game with a niche audience. So when they drive away their existing customers, not many new ones will come to the game.

• Cool 6

[TORAZ]
Players
491 posts
26,605 battles

lots of good stuff could've been done to improve the game and the new/veteran player experience, most of what I saw in this rework does the exact opposite.

side note: can we all take a moment to appreciate the buff CVs (especially FDR) will be getting.....disgusting. 

• Cool 16

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,163 posts
14,981 battles
9 minutes ago, Stormhawk_V said:

At least for DDs the problem could be easily solved by moving Last Stand to the first row like it was already done for cruisers. Then bring back BFT to 10% faster main battery reload and we could recreate the majority of builds that we used since the original skill rework although for one point more (20 total). This way the new rework would at least not feel like a total ripoff.

It's a shame they don't have a proper test server to try out such things.  Then again WG have introduced changes to the game in the past that the CCs and testers told them would not work.

3 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

The problem with this is that WoWS is a niche game with a niche audience. So when they drive away their existing customers, not many new ones will come to the game.

I'm sure the 'magic spreadsheet' has the answers!

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,081 posts
18,883 battles

Hi all,

18 minutes ago, Profilus said:

Only true if player wants to go from 19 to 21 with just elite xp. You forgot regular captain xp accumulated while grinding 5% extra.

Math should be: 1 200 000/ 5 250 = 228,57 battles to get 21 pointer

Otherwise good points.

Yep... if you play directly that captain then 228 battles (with supposed average of 5.000 Captain XP per game which is very very very optimistic)...

But who can sustain the drain of flags... nobody has limitless supply... :Smile_izmena:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
303 posts

Personally i am more disappointet about the reducion of viable non standard builds due to the unnecessary increased point cost or nerfing of many skills and the introduction of skills ranging from stuff thats bad for the gameplay or even full blown point traps for newbies which makes the additional grinding just a cherry on top of the pile of more build diversity that is not existing.

• Cool 1

[DK-CP]
[DK-CP]
Players
17 posts
9,405 battles
4 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Yep... if you play directly that captain then 228 battles (with supposed average of 5.000 Captain XP per game which is very very very optimistic)...

But who can sustain the drain of flags... nobody has limitless supply... :Smile_izmena:

Leo "Apollo11"

correct, but you also need to take into account that now, you can grind these captains on all types of ships (if you have prem. ships in these types), so in theory that specific captain is more versatile, and can be used more. 

[WRV]
Players
184 posts
514 battles

95% of the playerbase doesn't have a single 19 point captain, so its a cry out of the upper 5%

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[NECRO]
Players
3,082 posts
Vor 39 Minuten, Leo_Apollo11 sagte:

but the rest of 99.99% players will have months and years of grind suffer... 

Or they will take a break from WoWs until WG have "adjusted" this mess multiple times and there can be some certainty that they are finally done with it, which might take months, and then either play only casual or reduce their captains to a number which they can manage to level without a perpetual grind.

• Cool 2

[ALYEN]
Players
2,579 posts
4,340 battles
2 minutes ago, Adm_Andre said:

95% of the playerbase doesn't have a single 19 point captain, so its a cry out of the upper 5%

I don't think you understood the point here ... equivalent captain builds parameter wise are getting MORE expensive, so even those with 14-16 point captains only will struggle as they will lose efectivity after the change ...

• Cool 7

[NECRO]
Players
3,082 posts
Vor 32 Minuten, BrusilovX sagte:

Only to find that WG introduce something else that makes the grind even longer - more captain tiers above 21?

God-Admiral? :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1