You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Northern_Nightowl

Help for choosing a ship (Thunderer vs. Georgia)?

24 comments in this topic

Players
100 posts
4,687 battles

Hello,

given that I'll only manage to collect the coal for one of them before their retirement from the armory, either USS Georgia or HMS Thunderer, I'd like to collect some opinions which may be the best investment. There's no point in saying "use doubloons", at this moment, I won't do that.

Of course, I'm aware of the reviews from LittleWhiteMouse about these ships, but it would be great to have some more personal point of views as a help for building my opinion.

I personally prefer precision (less dispersion) over damage potential, loading speed over damage potential, gun range over barrel numbers and resilience / durability as a must. Speed would be a nice-to-have.

I'll be pleased to read your thoughts!

Regards, Nightowl

[SM0KE]
Players
6,879 posts
15,435 battles
22 minutes ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

I'm a DD main, so tend to view BBs as targets, but my perspective is as follows:

• Thunderer is the duller of the two, although it gets less dull if you are adept at using the right ammo (you see a lot of them spamming HE from the map borders, which is a complete waste).
  • Thunderer, being T10, gives access to some modes that require a T10 (although the next Clans is apparently T9).
  • Georgia, as a true premium, is the better earner of the two; she does apparently have a higher skill floor though.
  • Georgia is very useful for doing missions in Coop, due to having excellent secondaries, plus the speed boost can get you into position before too many of the opposing bots are wiped out by your DDs.

If I could have just one, it would be Georgia, as - IMO - she's more fun (but I do have a lot of T10s, so for me the 'access to T10 modes' isn't relevant).

If they weren't about to be removed, I would make the usual comments about not getting premiums above the level you've got to with your silver ships; in this case, go for it - if you need to, you can always play them in Coop while the skill-set catches up.

Full disclosure: I very rarely play BBs against real people (the last time was grinding Izumo en route to Yamato, if memory serves), so you'll need others to tell you which one is objectively better, from a performance perspective. I'm also assuming that you have a 'good enough' captain to put in either of them.

Players
3,575 posts

Just my humble opinion, out of the two,for me it has to be the Thunderer, I just cannot get on with the Georgia, a case of too fast for it's turret traverse to keep up, but as I say that is just me, others seem to love it.

• Cool 1

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

Thunderer is more of a snipe-from-range sort of deal; it's armor scheme makes it fairly unsuitable for brawling. Georgia, on the other hand, sports a low but accurate set of guns as well as decent secondaries and good speed, and while she's also quite vulnerable if she gives too much side, she can do some nice pushes, flanking maneuvers etc. A really big difference here, however, is simply their tier difference - t9 MM is, and plays quite differently to t10, so it comes down to whichever you prefer, really.

IMHO the Thunderer is objectively the stronger ship, while Georgia is more fun. Ofc, fun is highly subjective, so ymmv.

• Cool 4

[NEXT]
Players
118 posts
8,316 battles

When u want a fun ship, which also needs some skill to play good, then take the georgia. Its a lot more fun then the thunderer, especially when there is no cv i  game and u can flank with secondary build.

I play both ships with over 150k average in randoms, but the damage i do in georgia is much much more satisfying then the backline shooting with the thunderer. Just my 2 cents 

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,732 posts
15,095 battles

My biggest problem with the thunderer is the easy mode sit at 20km firing HE and 100k comes up very quickly.

Using AP though is where it shines. Third most accurate battleship after Slava and Shikishima combined with fast reload makes Thunderer very good at capitalising  on mistakes.

I think it fits your wish list quite well.

Georgia is a great ship though, nearly as accurate, swapping rudder shift for outright speed and improved heal for fast reload heal. It also has a little more armour but still a vulnerable citadel.

Both are great but Thunderer is never bottom tier!

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
2,193 posts
12,822 battles
10 hours ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

Hello,

given that I'll only manage to collect the coal for one of them before their retirement from the armory, either USS Georgia or HMS Thunderer, I'd like to collect some opinions which may be the best investment. There's no point in saying "use doubloons", at this moment, I won't do that.

Of course, I'm aware of the reviews from LittleWhiteMouse about these ships, but it would be great to have some more personal point of views as a help for building my opinion.

I personally prefer precision (less dispersion) over damage potential, loading speed over damage potential, gun range over barrel numbers and resilience / durability as a must. Speed would be a nice-to-have.

Regards, Nightowl

Its a good question and one that is pretty hard to answer, since they both are really strong and good ships. Whichever you choose you probably wont be disappointed. 

I have them both and I play them both a lot. First of, 2 completely different playstyles. Georgia is good at all ranges but she shines at close brawling/flanking. Thunderer is a backline sniper. Georgia is harder to master so if you are not very good at BBs and analyzing the situations, knowing when to push and when to hold back, I would say Georgia gonna be harder for you. Thunderer is easy peasy. You can stay at the back lines and nuke cruisers with your AP or just burn down bow in BBs with you HE. 

That said, im a pretty decent player and I have a lot of great and fun games of Georgia on my channel with lots of fun DD secondary kills, Krakens, medals, damage etc etc. Thunderer I have NONE!! I dont know if that boils down to me fitting better with the Georgia aggressive playstyle or what.

Still I would say that Thunderer is the most powerfull and forgiving one, best stats on paper, and a sure place in everyone's port, but Georgia is just sooooo much fun.

If you want to get inspired, here are some examples.

Thunderer is also Broken A-F with Cunningham as commander since you get Witherers every game which gives you an extra heal. Also the most consistent and accurate BB, so if you are good at aiming.....

Players
557 posts
5,012 battles

It’s almost like we’ve had this question on the forum before...

I wish these were collated with 10% of the diligence with which cv threads end up in the pinned toilet thread.

For what it’s worth, Georgia is going to end up on the loot crate wish list, with things like Musashi and Missouri.  Cheaper to buy now than with lootboxes :)

Beta Tester
807 posts

If you want to help your favourite CV player, then pick the Thunderer and remove AA from every and all pesky ships, so your glorious CV player can get some damage.

As a side bonus, using His Majestys HE shells against pesky DD's, will also remove their ability to throw evil fish at you.

But do remember, if you're ever within fish range..... you're too close.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
720 posts
4,859 battles

In addition to what the others have said: Thunderer is widely regarded as one of the best BBs in game, for all the reasons mentioned. 

Georgia is quirky, gimmicky, fast, and hard hitting. 

Players
1,328 posts
20,941 battles

Out of the two I only have Thunderer. I agree with the others that her very nature pushes you unconsciously towards the dull long-range HE spam. OTOH, her accuracy makes her able to nail DDs with relative ease (and an assured 5k damage per landed HE salvo hurts the little ones a lot) and smack out of the water full HP RN CLs with the AP (while playing radar Minotaur, the only ships experience has taught me to fear killing me in a single blow no matter the situation are Ohio, Slava and Thunderer).

If you know where to aim and are good at predicting the target's manoeuvres, she's certainly very strong, although being truly useful requires you to play at a range of  13-20km (out of her 26.5km maximum; notice it's basically "if any DD can torp you or secondaries start firing, you're too close; if a Shima's eel can't reach you, you're too far" ), and I'm probably being generous with that distance, while switching ammunition instead of going one-size-fits-all.

Salute.

[E-R-A]
Beta Tester
324 posts
9,162 battles

22 second reload, running AR(pre-captain skill update). With good aa+aa defensive consumable, a meaty heal, good rudder shift and nimble(for a bb) with it. Oh and stock 24km gun range.

You can still get hit hard if you show your side, but thats what angling is for.

69 games so far, 110k avg dmg, and im a very casual player with 57% wr in this ship.

And its t10, without referring to my notes it probably earns credits better than the georgia.

*22 second reload*! :cap_rambo:

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Both powerful but I say Georgia because :
-It's not boring, Thunderer is.
-It's not being spammed as hard.

-It can actually print credits as a true T9 premium.
-It's tied with Musashi as the best T9 BB, there aren't any really good T9 Tech tree BBs that compete.
-Doing 40kt in a battleship is hilarious.

Thunderer won't make you money, you'll be bored sitting in the back and there's tech tree T10 BBs that are as good if not better.
Also Ohio exists, it's a bit less effective than Thunderer at long range but at mid-close range it's twice the ship Thunderer will ever be.

[SPURD]
Players
860 posts
6,511 battles

I'd advise you to get Georgia for all the reasons mentioned in this thread (especially the tier difference, man T10 is terrible these days) and grind out Conqueror if you want to spam HE and Yamato if you want to be a sniper. 

Then again, Thunderer is the most maneuverable and stealthy 457's battleship at TX and AFAIK it has an unique heal that heals more citadel damage than other battleships, so it can be very fun played aggressively. 

[RONIN]
Players
599 posts
4,975 battles
On 1/15/2021 at 11:45 PM, Northern_Nightowl said:

Hello,

Regards, Nightowl

if you like HE and fire as BB choose Thunderer

if you like ultra nice AP shells with some nice secondarys and speed booster choose Georgia

I have both, and i enjoy Georgia much much more then Thunderer

Players
115 posts

Get Thunderer because you can always get Georgia from Santa crates, Thunderer you can not. *Plus you can out right buy Georgia right now, Thunderer you can't.

Players
58 posts
1,939 battles

I recently gotten georgia myself , had the thunderer for a while , of the 2 thunderer is definitely stronger also anyone playing it as a pure HE spammer is doing it wrong , load that AP and make them cruisers cry or any broadside for that matter . 

The accuracy can be similar if georgia has the 11% module but with only 6 guns it derps way more than thunderer . Both have special heals but georgia has the better one . 

The fun part with georgia is the speed but that can be a curse if used too eagerly , while it takes one out of trouble it will also get one into trouble really quickly .

Both are good ships georgia is harder to play but can be very rewarding , thunderer is "easier" but that's if you stay at 20km spamming HE and that's just wrong . 

Now I've rambled enough and it's still early on in the morning , I'd say get the thunderer as it's much stronger tier per tier .

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts
1 hour ago, ZombieOnWoWs said:

because you can always get Georgia from Santa crates

anchorman-steve-carell.gif

[TFSB]
109 posts
1,986 battles

The georgia is more of a U.S brawler, with some insanely good guns (IMO). While georgia is moving up close, with hard-hitting guns, the thundered tend to stay a bit more ranged, (And also tends to use HE???) 

I do not own any of the ships, but I've played with and against them, soo many times. 

Hope you get to pick the right one for you :cap_like: 

[LSCA]
Players
1,648 posts
12,974 battles
On 1/16/2021 at 10:29 AM, gopher31 said:

My biggest problem with the thunderer is the easy mode sit at 20km firing HE and 100k comes up very quickly.

only kremlin self have over 100k hp, your 100k is nothing, if you tell 200k then that is another story

Players
557 posts
5,012 battles
33 minutes ago, Immoxb said:

The georgia is more of a U.S brawler, with some insanely good guns (IMO). While georgia is moving up close, with hard-hitting guns, the thundered tend to stay a bit more ranged, (And also tends to use HE???) 

I do not own any of the ships, but I've played with and against them, soo many times. 

Hope you get to pick the right one for you :cap_like: 

Georgia is not a brawler, its armor scheme and glacial turret traverse are not suited for that role. You see a lot of Georgias brawl, and they almost inevitably get blapped in the first few minutes.

That’s part of why the Georgia has a bit of a skill floor, its playstyle is unique. If anything, good Georgia play requires opportunism and an excellent eye for the game, seeking broadsides and knowing the oerfect moment to push even more than other BBs. Not a forgiving ship.

[_VI_]
Beta Tester
702 posts
2,279 battles

Is Pommern worth a look? I'm close to the coal required now and am after a T9 or T10 battleship. I think I'd prefer T9 as T10 matches just aren't that much fun. 

I guess I could always hold out and see if an Italian T9 battleship is available for coal soon. 

[LSCA]
Players
1,648 posts
12,974 battles
58 minutes ago, damo74 said:

Is Pommern worth a look? I'm close to the coal required now and am after a T9 or T10 battleship. I think I'd prefer T9 as T10 matches just aren't that much fun. 

I guess I could always hold out and see if an Italian T9 battleship is available for coal soon. 

problem with tier 9 is that you can easily meet tier 10 ships, i personally not like tier 9 at all