Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thiextar

The cost of the new captain skills in context

35 comments in this topic

[-AP-]
Players
2,972 posts
7,161 battles

Just thought id post this if anyone was wondering why they are really making a commander skill rework.

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts

Is the answer "to make us grind"?

No suprise there :)

In couple of years expect another increase in points...

• Cool 2

[ZED]
Players
17 posts
13,847 battles

Next step: introduce xp boosters so you can buy them.

It's all about the old WOT tricks applied to WOWS now. But then WOWS doesn't have the player base of WOT and it will never will. Most likely it will end up like WOWP in a few years.

• Cool 8

[CATS]
Players
30,923 posts
15,691 battles
14 minutes ago, enzo1484 said:

Most likely it will end up like WOWP in a few years.

Most games end up like WoWp after a few years, some even sooner.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[OCTO]
Players
484 posts
20,475 battles

I already stopped worrying about 'grinding' in this game. I have no interest in steel reward clan battle ships or competitive and now I will not even consider the extra 1.2 M exp required for 21 point captains from my 19 point captains. I have 225 ships in port at the moment......so quite a few captains at various skill levels. 

I think I will sell the tech tree ships I don't really play at tiers 3-9 and keep all tier 10's and then I have enough credits to not have to worry about anything. I guess I am not the kind of player they want logging on anymore.

This game is beginning to make tanks look like an easy grind.

HOW ABOUT MAKING THE GAME FUN TO PLAY?

HOW DOES THIS 'IMPROVEMENT' MAKE THE GAME ATTRACTIVE TO NEW PLAYERS?

They only people who will benefit from this update will be the hardcore clan battle players who mount all the economic flags/camo's and rake in commander XP every clan battle session (1/2  million commander XP every session might be a guess). So basically the rest of the player base is at an even bigger disadvantage. 

• Cool 10

[RODS]
Players
1,807 posts
7,821 battles

Honestly its gonna take ages to even get to the first 21 p captain

I have 228k Elite captain points and 211k FXP

Will be lucky if I have 2-3 21 pointers in a years time

[2PTS]
Players
266 posts
42,621 battles
3 hours ago, Gudgeon said:

I think I will sell the tech tree ships I don't really play at tiers 3-9 and keep all tier 10's and then I have enough credits to not have to worry about anything. I guess I am not the kind of player they want logging on anymore.

205 ships in port and this ammount of credits any ideas what to do with all these credits? LOOOOL

image.png.ff7b5663745f7a41a33b731f5975d549.png

WG Staff
2,492 posts
926 battles
1 hour ago, Ronchabale said:

Honestly its gonna take ages to even get to the first 21 p captain

I have 228k Elite captain points and 211k FXP

Will be lucky if I have 2-3 21 pointers in a years time

While 19 skills Captains will remain strong, this new system will grant players the possibility to have more simultaneous active skills, achievable through a fair effort.

Also, an additional 5% of Elite XP will be earned by all commanders with less than the maximum amount of skill points, which will help players in the process of leveling up.

• Boring 4
  • Bad 14
  • Angry 2

[ROUGH]
Players
423 posts
19,058 battles
51 minutes ago, surfer_gr said:

205 ships in port and this ammount of credits any ideas what to do with all these credits?

Starting with 0.10.0 you will be able to "convert" credits into elite commander XP - by repeatedly purchasing 6-point commander and then dismissing him for 25% of his xp.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
165 posts

I dont understand why people are whining about ' grinding ' the extra points. You get them simply by playing. I for one am happy I will have another goal to aim for, it keeps me interested. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
5,661 posts
22,485 battles
6 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Most games end up like WoWp after a few years, some even sooner.

Even though that is it true, is not a reason to not try to keep it from happening.

12 minutes ago, T0L0S said:

I dont understand why people are whining about ' grinding ' the extra points. You get them simply by playing. I for one am happy I will have another goal to aim for, it keeps me interested. 

I don't understand why people are happy with just "grinding" in a game, without been able to achieving something really meaningful/funny/important/(insert anything of worth here).

And it's nice for YOU that stuff like this keeps YOU interested. But people are different, y'know... some might have to have higher expectations on games ^^

Like... expecting fun and engaging gameplay... Balanced game mechanisms and stuff

• Cool 8

[NEXT]
Players
119 posts
8,332 battles
Vor 43 Minuten, T0L0S sagte:

cause the captains are not getting better with the extra 2 points. u will end up with the same captain builds then before. they take u away one skill/the "perfect" captain (since u miss 2 points) and force u  to grind for this one skill/"perfect" captain again.

its like u have achieved/bought an BMW M4 and then after some time the company says "here we take u the M4 away, but u get an 440i instead, but with some grinding/paying u can get the M4 back".

thats whats happening here.

• Cool 9

[SM0KE]
Players
6,892 posts
15,440 battles
4 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

While 19 skills Captains will remain strong, this new system will grant players the possibility to have more simultaneous active skills, achievable through a fair effort.

Well, I have to admire your persistence in adhering to the party line!

Sadly, you are - of course - being disingenuous: whilst you can have more active skills at once ('fair effort' is nonsense, incidentally: 1.2 million xp to get the extra two points, versus around 1.7 for the preceding 19?!), that doesn't mean those active skills will be any good.

Allow me to illustrate, with a fairly unremarckable captain build (DD), which will probably still be a viable pick after the rework:

image.thumb.png.0bf03577686b0ed1c3b957856535cd5b.png

This costs 19 points. Under the new system, PT moves to costing two points, and AR moves to three; so, initially, my 19 pointer is significantly less good than presently (everyone else is in the same boat too, I accept). Once I apply the entirely unacceptable 1.2 million captain xp to get this captain to 21 points, I can have exactly the same build again, or rather a slightly nerfed version (because BFT gets nerfed).

So, the sequence of events will be as follows:

1. 19 point captain gets noticeably weaker (along with everyone else).
  2. I have to waste 1.2 million captain xp.
  3. I now have a slightly weaker captain than I had before; I have gained nothing, and lost 1.2 million captain xp.

Yes, I could have spent all the 21 points on most/all of rows 1 and 2, so giving me more skills than I have now, but that doesn't mean such a course would be remotely sensible. Hence, you are being disingenuous.

If you (WG) had made the costs of the extra points conform to the existing graph (as opposed to the massive spike it looks like you're going with), your case would have been reasonable; the game needs to evolve and I have no problem with changing the captain skills per se (yes, there are plenty of Richard moves in there, most notably significantly ruining many cruisers, especially the 'supers', but they can be fixed/improved on), but robbing your existing players, and making the old lags almost impossible to catch for newbies is exceptionally poor.

• Cool 19

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,721 posts
11,786 battles
5 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

Also, an additional 5% of Elite XP will be earned by all commanders with less than the maximum amount of skill points, which will help players in the process of leveling up.

Of course there are gonna be more skills active if you take 1 skill that we have now and make 3 new ones out of it... And also making it more expensive as costing more points... Or you cannot even have them on certain ships... This is just BS right here...

• Cool 5

[NECRO]
Players
3,082 posts

It is pretty futile to have 5 skillsets (yeah, I am including the sub skills in advance) if you have to pay a fortune every time you switch ships if those ships are peasant tech tree ships, or invest heavily in non-tech tree ships. It's a  win-win for WG, and this is the only reason they are introducing this. "Yeah, you can have so much more - but you need to pay to be able to actually use it."

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,892 posts
15,440 battles
19 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

non-tech tree ships

I hope my general views on the captain rework are self-evident from my various posts on the subject, but there are one or two positives, and the way the new captains will interact with premiums/event ships is one of them.

One of the reasons I've picked up several 'clone' premiums over the years (BF ships, ARP etc.), is the multiple 'first win' bonus thing for maximising xp gain (Captain XP in particular); with the new captains having a skill-set for each class, we can now do the same thing across different classes too. This also isn't exclusively the preserve of the whales either - there can't be too many players (apart from absolute newbies) who don't have at least a handful of premium/event ships via the various free means (missions, coal, Free XP etc.), and can now get the most out of them with fewer captains than before.

I'm painfully aware that the bulk of the captain rework is best described by means of my, erm, more Anglo-Saxon-derived vocabulary, but this is one positive aspect...

• Cool 1

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,623 posts
9,647 battles

Another commander rework when the submarines come. 

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts
6 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

No offense, but you could try to "sell" that to some of the new players m'kay? They might buy it.

Some of us here have been around since the start....

I need 21 pts (or even that's not enough) to have identical builds as I have now. So we can see through the dirty glass just fine in order to figure out the real reason.

And as for alternative builds... very poor choice.

I was pro for the rework, but I expected the real reason would really be variety. But it turns out just to be another xp (in this case elite cmd xp) sink and a higher bar (more grind).

This must came out from the same people who figured out NTC aka research buiro.

• Cool 5

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,975 posts
13,778 battles
5 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

No offense, but you could try to "sell" that to some of the new players m'kay? They might buy it.

Some of us here have been around since the start....

I need 21 pts (or even that's not enough) to have identical builds as I have now. So we can see through the dirty glass just fine to figure out the real reason.

And as for alternative builds... very poor choice.

But... But...

SecOnDariEs wiLL ShoOt oN BoTh SidEs

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts
4 minutes ago, kfa said:

But... But...

SecOnDariEs wiLL ShoOt oN BoTh SidEs

Was still in "mobile" editing... please include it :)

yeah about that one... no words :)

[MAS-X]
Players
463 posts
11,780 battles

Still, this means we have to grind, grind and grind even more

I have enough elite cap exp to make cunningham a level 21, then i guess i will grind, grind and grind to help the many other weaklings of level 19 to reach cunningham's level...

It will be a long cruise and somehow i am loosing my mood to leave the port

[WTFNO]
Players
688 posts
12,179 battles
7 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

No.

As pointed above, PT and AR, two extremely common skills, now cost 1pt more each.

And 1.2 million, what the bloody fck is that, seriously ?

• Cool 3

Players
1,742 posts
23,058 battles
7 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

Sorry, but thats a lie. you made good skills like AR just more expensive. There is no gain.... esp. not in extra skills. 

IF you really wanted to allow us more skills you would have made mandatory or extremely popular skills cheap (like Last stand and CE). THEN we would have had a chance to experiment with diverse builds! Also in by doing so (making CE cheap) you would have shortened the gap between vet players and newbies.

So, no, this skillrework is just a more grind-work.

• Cool 12

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
165 posts
7 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Even though that is it true, is not a reason to not try to keep it from happening.

I don't understand why people are happy with just "grinding" in a game, without been able to achieving something really meaningful/funny/important/(insert anything of worth here).

And it's nice for YOU that stuff like this keeps YOU interested. But people are different, y'know... some might have to have higher expectations on games ^^

Like... expecting fun and engaging gameplay... Balanced game mechanisms and stuff

But the game play doesn't change, and it isn't grinding, as you are getting captain xp just by hitting battle. I never said anything about my expectations of the game, but its nice you made a false assumption.  

Sign in to follow this