Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NikolayKuznetsov

Massa 20% better than NC?

11 comments in this topic

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Deciding if I want to get Massa before it's gone. I know looking at the averages on warships is pointless, it doesn't factor in recent changes to ships, doesn't factor in the fact that many people just grind through NC with a 9pt captain and never spend any real time in her. But none of this applies to how the top 5% does in both ships, that should be an actual indication of the potential of both ships. The top 5% does 20% better in Massa across the board, winrate, damage, K/D and XP. The gap between them in recent weeks on maple is even greater.

269512379_MASSAVSNC.thumb.JPG.c6b0f30d821fefaa427008ee910c8a91.JPG

Is settling with NC as a go-to T8 BB a mistake? Is NC really 20% weaker? I have Georgia and Ohio as my go-to T9/T10 BBs so the different build is not an issue, I don't mind the 13K doubloons either. I must say seeing a premium ship outperform her tech tree sister ship by 20% across the board isn't a pleasant sight, I typically mock people claiming pay to win, this does actually look like pay to win, am I missing something here? Can I pay to win 20% more?

[CATS]
Players
31,090 posts
15,723 battles

Chosing a %-bracket does not change the fact that premiums like Massa are played by more experienced and skilled players.

Comparing them would only work if you looked at the same players, that played the ships during the same time, with similar experienced captains.

One of Massas biggest assets is the fast cooldown on the heal. That makes Massa great at pushing weak spots of the enemy.

[H-O-E]
Players
344 posts
24,870 battles

Get it, her real trick is the fast reuse on the heal. The ship performs well in random and competition mode. Bonus good AA and secondaries. ( i dont use manual secondaries).

I have in Massa 67.47% win rate  in 83 games( my highest in a BB) and i am an average player.

[BOATY]
Players
1,055 posts
15,545 battles

Couple things to consider here.

1. NC has been in the game since Beta thus has a ton more games played in it.
  2. NC is also a line ship available to everyone thus more games played in it.
  3. Massa has great secondary's thus it can easily pad its damage stats where most NC players tend to bow tank in reverse looking for good broad shots and thus not get nearly as much damage.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles

5% for NC is actually a larget number than 5% for Massas.
According to proships Unicum rating, this is last month

image.thumb.png.138756da601a2fdceb83da1625587a9e.png

The numbers are Players / Battles / WR / XP / Damage / Kills /spotting damage.

So there is a difference, but not 20%

If we look at wows.numbers, there are 14700 players in the Massa ranking, but 82700 for NC. So top 5% means 735 players for Massa and 4135 players for NC. If you compare top 25% (3675 players) Massa vs top 5% NC you get

image.thumb.png.92447427c602fb6d58ea01605bc8fed2.png

image.thumb.png.e3439816f0f1f780f85a2ed6ce99221c.png

Seems to be rather balanced, alltho these are alltime stats, so might favour NC actually a bit. Id rather go by Proships last month rating, whch indicates Massa is better.

Here are my personal random stats

image.thumb.png.24048634231244d31f8b73dd296c8e6f.png

And ranked

image.thumb.png.497b57b21a2b1e8d384822ab7d0fa612.png

NC is definetely good, its just different. I actually had much better stats with NC, but at the end of the grind, i had steamroll wins which lowered my avg damage a lot. If you want a midrange BB, take NC. Massa is stronger in close engagements, probably weaker when facing T10...

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
10 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Comparing them would only work if you looked at the same players, that played the ships during the same time, with similar experienced captains.

Did that too, compared their stats from the same players who are top 5% with both ships.

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
4 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

5% for NC is actually a larger number than 5% for Massas.

I didn't think of that, there's about 5X more NCs than Massas. So then ...
The 20% powergap for the top 5% is explained by the top 5% Massa players being a more select group?
The 20% powergap in maplesyrup is explained by, I guess by people mindlessly grinding through NC?
The 20% powergap for individual players who are top 5% with both ships is explained by what? Them having played NC years ago maybe?

[CATS]
Players
31,090 posts
15,723 battles
6 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Did that too, compared their stats from the same players who are top 5% with both ships.

• you have to add the stats up of these players to get a valid sample
  • you have to remove the battles where NC was not fully upgraded
  • you would have to make sure they are played around the same time as comparing battles when a player is new with battles he did two years later is not really valid
  • you would have to filter out battles where the difference between captains is too great, no use comparing a 8 point captains with 19 point captains

[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles

Massa also encourages a playstyle for being closer to the enemy, at which point you can exert a lot more influence on what happens around for instance a cap.
The secondaries are fluff imo, but the bad gunnery at range forces you to be somewhat more close, while the heal strongly encourages you to keep it up.
All in all this boat is very well suited for influencing the front lines.
Good concealment and maneuverability, great torp protection, nigh impossible to citadel at short ranges while also being a relative small'ish BB (in size) helps further in that department.

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
27,079 battles

It has been the recent policy from WG in the last years, to make premium ships better than their silver counterpart, with only a few exceptions.

As you yourself said:

" I have Georgia and Ohio as my go-to T9/T10 BBs".

Not Iowa and Montana, their silver counterparts.

Players
1,884 posts
23,214 battles

I dont think you can compare both ships in a fair way. 

First and foremost since NC is a silver ship from one of the oldest lines and this influences winrate due to powercreep, accessability etc. 

That said, NC is an excellent ship if played like an conventional BB. 

Massa has a lot of benefits over NC but lacks its insane tight dispersion. I dont think you will find no better dev.strike-machine at t8 then NC. 

Sign in to follow this