Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ColonelPete

German DD split, Soon

131 comments in this topic

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Mini-cruisers, no smoke, 150MM hard hitting AP. So basically tiny nurnbergs with better concealment and no citadel, that actually sounds interesting.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
Just now, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Mini-cruisers, no smoke, 150MM hard hitting AP. So basically tiny nurnbergs with better concealment and no citadel, that actually sounds interesting.

It will really depend on how good the concealment is and how good the AP is. Also id like to know about the speed.

But one thing seems to be more and more clear: WG doesnt want DDs to have smoke any longer. Well, except Yolo Emilio...

• Cool 3

[_PDW_]
Players
115 posts
15,165 battles

I hope WG realizes that the French DD line works thanks to their speed and damage saturation mechanic and the European  DDs have a repair.

We will see if the new German DDs will be OP at start and get nerfed in the ground later or if they will be dead on arrival and forgotten.

• Cool 8
  • Angry 1

[CATS]
Players
32,510 posts
16,285 battles
6 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Soon or 'soon'?

I'm beginning to sound way too Korean... :Smile_unsure:

They will be the next line after RM BB.

They will not be easy to play. One could call it an advanced line.

Not sure that the gimmick is viable as gunduells with cruisers in a DD are usually not a good idea.

They will be good for finishing cruisers, but probably nothing more.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Players
7,639 posts
2 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

It will really depend on how good the concealment is and how good the AP is. Also id like to know about the speed.

But one thing seems to be more and more clear: WG doesnt want DDs to have smoke any longer. Well, except Yolo Emilio...

I don't mind the smoke per se, (:Smile_trollface:) but I wish it were implemented somewhat more realistically than it is.

As to the DD's, when it comes to torpedo builds, concealement is vital, but less so for gun builds. Hybrid builds are somewhat problematic, though.

• Cool 1

Players
2,139 posts
14,860 battles
4 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

AP that will only work against a few ships that you do not want to trade with in the first place. If they have average DD speed, they will be the equivalent of the US BB split line, eating damage like there is no tomorrow but with the hp of a DD.

• Cool 7

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

That last thing about limiting ships to 1 or 2 of the same ship in clan battles was music to my ears. Always hated the 'meta' and everyone spamming a bunch of the same ship with one CV.

• Cool 3

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
3 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Well CVs don't like DDs with smoke so DDs should not have smoke.

Exactly, smoke allows them to delay death-by-plane for about a minute, this is unacceptable.

• Funny 2

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles

One thing I will say about smoke: Nothing effs up your team more, than a DD, that doesnt know how to use its smoke. Ive seen entire flanks beeing rofl stomped simply because one DD doesnt understand spotting. Like panic smoke against a radar cruiser, sit in smoke, die, then the enemys use that nice smoke cover to destroy the flank while beeing dark and their DD provides the spotting. So smoke is a heavily skill depended mechanic and acts as a force multiplier. maybe WG saw this and, well, thats why it needs to go... or they just like planes go brr and DD go boom.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,518 posts
24,080 battles
15 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

They will not be easy to play. One could call it an advanced line.

Not sure that the gimmick is viable as gunduells with cruisers in a DD are usually not a good idea.

They will be good for finishing cruisers, but probably nothing more. 

So in short another "set sail for fail" line that is underpowered and boring to play?

• Cool 7

[CATS]
Players
32,510 posts
16,285 battles
6 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

So in short another "set sail for fail" line that is underpowered and boring to play?

We will see. Depends how strong the gimmicks are and/or if they change something. But it would be strange if the DD had guns with stronger AP than the KM CL, as the DD 150mm guns were historically weaker.

UK DD smoke with less charges could be an idea.

• Bad 1

Players
1,792 posts
18,901 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, ForlornSailor sagte:

One thing I will say about smoke: Nothing effs up your team more, than a DD, that doesnt know how to use its smoke. Ive seen entire flanks beeing rofl stomped simply because one DD doesnt understand spotting. Like panic smoke against a radar cruiser, sit in smoke, die, then the enemys use that nice smoke cover to destroy the flank while beeing dark and their DD provides the spotting. So smoke is a heavily skill depended mechanic and acts as a force multiplier. maybe WG saw this and, well, thats why it needs to go... or they just like planes go brr and DD go boom.

True, I had a Kiev in ranked yesterday that smoked within spotting range of my Orkan. He didn't saw sh*t anymore, his team had no more vision either and then we sank him.

Regarding the video/german DD announcement: Think we have to wait for the stats (concealment, speed, hp and torpedoes) to see how much mileage they create beyond trying to be counter vs the class that counters them (light cruisers).

Fun fact about that DY reward ship: It's french, ZF-2 is the German name for the L`Opiniâtre captured 16% finished in Bordeaux. The original design would have been six 130mm guns in dual mounts, along with a 3/2/2 torpedo setup with the triple launcher sitting in a central position and the double ones only being able to launch towards their respective side. The germans then tried to finish the ship but due to a lack of parts it was intended to change the arnament to five 128mm guns (2/1/1/1) and a pair of quad torpedo launchers. 

That one could have some potential if it has french speed and reload booster combined with 128mm guns that should have 32mm pen and good AP damage numbers.

Sources:

https://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/captured/destroyer/zf2/index.html

http://www.navypedia.org/ships/germany/ger_dd_zf2.htm

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
3,521 posts
27,785 battles

just why i have the line "the worst out of both worlds" in mind? :Smile_unsure:

• Cool 6
  • Funny 4

[NECRO]
Players
4,477 posts

So after threatening us with the new captain skill thing which pretty much kills tech tree ships for me, they offer more superfluous tech tree splits. Pass.

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,518 posts
24,080 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

We will see. Depends how strong the gimmicks are and/or if they change something. But it would be strange if the DD had guns with stronger AP than the KM CL, as the DD 150mm guns were historically weaker.

UK DD smoke with less charges could be an idea.

They have to. While Reddit already found out the designs are all historical, I remain very skeptical after WG effectively bungled British CAs and American alternate BBs.

The ships will need either smoke or a solid heal. Because if they continue the typical German DD design ingame they won't be fast or stealthy. And that's a death sentence with all the buffs CVs are getting with the skill rework.

PS: I really want to be hyped about them. The T10 is the Spähkreuzer design.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,140 posts
6,610 battles

Was really starting to wonder when Le Hardi was going to make it's way in game.

Ironic that it does so as a German ship, but I'll take it.

What on Earth am I referring to I hear you ask? The ZF2.

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,827 posts
12,204 battles

Soooo... They are pushing the Commander Rework meanwhile they basically tested nothing... And the community said that it brings only bad things... Community Contributors also warned this is not going to be good... But WG doesn't care...

German DDs: So they are gonna have no smoke, hydro and AP with AA booster. Let's have a look, shall we? Most of the DDs working now: Brits due to their insta eff you CV smoke, frenchies due to their ability to dodge at max speed or long smoker DDs. These have none. :D So you are not gonna live for long. But I suppose you will do a lot of damage, right? Yes, as we know well that cruisers and BBs are playing close to the enemy and they broadside a lot. Nooo they are not bow on and reverse on DPM monsters which instakill ya, oh nooo, why are you even saying this? Then their AA is gonna be Godtier, right? Sergei, what do you think? Haha, DD goes bumm, no planes lost. QUALITY.

I am sure these DDs are gonna be "fun" and successful...

Total and absolute failure. WG business as usual. Meanwhile the highly demanded Bathtubs are still not gonna happen...

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[R3B3L]
Players
1,505 posts
4 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

the typical German DD design ingame they won't be fast or stealthy

13 minutes ago, Khaba_Gandalf said:

Think we have to wait for the stats (concealment, speed, hp and torpedoes

according to the data on the link you provided it looks bad:

uff.jpg.d3c5b226dc9a0e6e256d14192870de96.jpg

In this case I hope WG goes the less historikal akkurate way.

Players
47 posts
7,027 battles
3 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Was really starting to wonder when Le Hardi was going to make it's way in game.

Ironic that it does so as a German ship, but I'll take it.

What on Earth am I referring to I hear you ask? The ZF2.

Wiki says: 

ZF2[edit]

The hull of the French Le Hardi-class destroyer L'Opiniatre was captured intact and 16% complete in Bordeaux. The Kriegsmarine intended to complete her for service. Since French armament was not available, and for standardisation with the rest of the German Navy, 127 mm guns and German pattern torpedo tubes were ordered. Work proceeded tardily until all progress was abandoned in July 1943. The hull was eventually broken up on the slip[13]

[DREAD]
Players
11,253 posts
7,643 battles
49 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

That is actually an interesting playstyle! Looking forward to play these!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[NECRO]
Players
4,477 posts
Vor 4 Minuten, Humorpalanta sagte:

I am sure these DDs are gonna be "fun" and successful...

I would have rather suggested a "German BB with accurate guns" split...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Sign in to follow this