Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldschoolGaming_YouTube

What to do with 1 M Free XP?

38 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,309 posts
13,214 battles

Hi,

So I gotten 1 M Free XP again and not really sure how to spend it wisely, specially with the upcoming Captain reworks. I have most of the good ships already that you can get with Free XP exept the 2 M ones (Småland etc). I play most cruisers and DDs so im looking at Ägir and Freisland. Freisland seems pretty good but the whole no torps thing puts me of a bit. Seen a lot of crazy videos about Ägir and its secondarys but seem to remember it being nerfed (and not sure how it will do after C-rework.....). Not really that impressed with the 2 IJN cruisers with their 20 km torps etc.

Now I havent really been interested in Research bereau before, but is it possible to spend a million free XP there and maybe get a ship (not really sure how RB works to be honest)

Any new Free XP ships announced on the horizon?

What are your suggestions?

Players
467 posts
11,780 battles

I have the same question, but for 2 millions.

I already own every free xp cruiser and the Nelson

I dislike dd, except for ijn, and the only ijn dd that costs 2M is worth more or less 2K free exp.

So, what to do?

Is there any Hope that a  new tier X will be put in sale for free exp soon?

Beta Tester
2,703 posts
7,748 battles

Friesland is fine, but be sure you have a 10(+) pt captain for it. I started with a 6pt captain and the spotting distance disadvantage is killing. Once you have the rate of fire upgrade and sneaky skills, excellent gunship for both hunting DDs and keeping BBs on fire. Got over 200 hits in some matches.

High arc at even modest ranges though. Think Bogatyr.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,526 posts
16,116 battles
3 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

What are your suggestions?

Mediocre player view:

• If you can get enough Free XP before she gets removed, get Smaland; although egregiously over-priced, she is very good (and great fun). If you dig DDs.
  • Otherwise, it's probably sensible to wait and see what the captain rework ends up doing/causing; that assumes you have the patience - it'll probably take several patches before things fully settle down, although I don't expect this to be a coq-eurpe on the scale of the CVs (as it doesn't fundamentally change the game mechanics like the reework did).
  • Speaking of the captain rework, that 1 million Free XP is most of what's needed to get a 19 point captain to 21 points (assuming WG don't remove their heads from their nether regions, and set the xp costs for the extra two points in line with the existing curve), if you can't do it by other means - basically, Captain XP - although that does seem rather a waste.

As to the RB, you could use it to reset a line, but doing that entirely with Free XP is a bit wasteful - IMO - (and it can be fun mucking about with some of the mid-high tier ships again); the compromise I tend to go with is to Free XP everything that doesn't award you RP, and start playing from T5, whilst also using Free XP to unlock modules, so avoiding having to play things stock. I should mention that I have good captains for all the ships I intend to play this way, so avoiding having to retrain anything, and making playing these ships more fun (as I don't ever have to play with a sub-par captain).

I probably wouldn't actually buy anything from the RB yet though - again, until we see the exact damage that the captain rework will wreak.

• Cool 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,393 posts
31,582 battles

With Captain rework, cruisers would not be able to buff secondaries is any meaningful way. Both Agir and Friesland are decent but there are better ships around.

Only one of the Japanese cruisers is for FXP, T9 Azuma and she doesn't have torps. Yoshino, with torps, is for coal.

You can reset a line for a x2 bonus, research it again with FXP, wait about month and half for the next x2 bonus, reset line again and use the rest of FXP and some grinding, as 1 mil FXP is not enough for two research, to get 40k RP. T9 Paolo Emilio is 43k RP, but every month you can get 1.2k RP just by doing daily missions. So with collecting x2 bonus and with some RP from the side you can get a Paolo Emilio. 

There is no new ships announced for FXP. T9 Marco Polo, Italian BB, and T10 Vampire Episode II are candidates but no news for now.

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
17 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Now I havent really been interested in Research bereau before, but is it possible to spend a million free XP there and maybe get a ship (not really sure how RB works to be honest) 

At best you can get 40k RB points for 1,35~ million or so (Free XPing IJN gunboat line is 670k i think). And you need to get the reset bonus each time, so if you reset now and again in a month (or whenever the bonus resets) would get you 20k for each reset. Might or might not be enough for a ship, depending which you would want to get.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,309 posts
13,214 battles
9 minutes ago, Figment said:

Friesland is fine, but be sure you have a 10(+) pt captain for it. I started with a 6pt captain and the spotting distance disadvantage is killing. Once you have the rate of fire upgrade and sneaky skills, excellent gunship for both hunting DDs and keeping BBs on fire. Got over 200 hits in some matches.

High arc at even modest ranges though. Think Bogatyr.

I got good captains to put on her but still so underwhelmed by the ship. Even watched Superunicum videos on Yt and till not exited over it. Bad concealment, only 2 turrets, if 1 gets knocked out your down 50%, no torps, no heal .....!?!

High arcs as you say.... Didnt really like playing Fletcher and Gearing because of that arcs.

7 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Mediocre player view:

• If you can get enough Free XP before she gets removed, get Smaland; although egregiously over-priced, she is very good (and great fun). If you dig DDs.
  • Otherwise, it's probably sensible to wait and see what the captain rework ends up doing/causing; that assumes you have the patience - it'll probably take several patches before things fully settle down, although I don't expect this to be a coq-eurpe on the scale of the CVs (as it doesn't fundamentally change the game mechanics like the reework did).
  • Speaking of the captain rework, that 1 million Free XP is most of what's needed to get a 19 point captain to 21 points (assuming WG don't remove their heads from their nether regions, and set the xp costs for the extra two points in line with the existing curve), if you can't do it by other means - basically, Captain XP - although that does seem rather a waste.

As to the RB, you could use it to reset a line, but doing that entirely with Free XP is a bit wasteful - IMO - (and it can be fun mucking about with some of the mid-high tier ships again); the compromise I tend to go with is to Free XP everything that doesn't award you RP, and start playing from T5, whilst also using Free XP to unlock modules, so avoiding having to play things stock. I should mention that I have good captains for all the ships I intend to play this way, so avoiding having to retrain anything, and making playing these ships more fun (as I don't ever have to play with a sub-par captain).

I probably wouldn't actually buy anything from the RB yet though - again, until we see the exact damage that the captain rework will wreak.

Småland would be great but wont have time to do it.

It would feel such a waste just to spend it all to get a former full captain back up to full, its a retarded thing WG is pushing on us.

I guess I will keep it and wait and see.

6 minutes ago, fumtu said:

With Captain rework, cruisers would not be able to buff secondaries is any meaningful way. Both Agir and Friesland are decent but there are better ships around.

Only one of the Japanese cruisers is for FXP, T9 Azuma and she doesn't have torps. Yoshino, with torps, is for coal.

You can reset a line for a x2 bonus, research it again with FXP, wait about month and half for the next x2 bonus, reset line again and use the rest of FXP and some grinding, as 1 mil FXP is not enough for two research, to get 40k RP. T9 Paolo Emilio is 43k RP, but every month you can get 1.2k RP just by doing daily missions. So with collecting x2 bonus and with some RP from the side you can get a Paolo Emilio. 

There is no new ships announced for FXP. T9 Marco Polo, Italian BB, and T10 Vampire Episode II are candidates but no news for now.

I guess I just have to wait and grind some more....

• Cool 1

[NA-TO]
Players
115 posts

Smaland, her toolkit is phenomenal, I went all out grindfest to get her, wasn't too interested in the Hayate as it doesn't have anything special.

Friesland is fun but unless you div up with a good torp boat it struggles to perform, has a great team smoke though.

• Cool 2

Players
4,887 posts
21,308 battles
35 minutes ago, dunbine said:

I have the same question, but for 2 millions.

I already own every free xp cruiser and the Nelson

I dislike dd, except for ijn, and the only ijn dd that costs 2M is worth more or less 2K free exp.

So, what to do?

Is there any Hope that a  new tier X will be put in sale for free exp soon?

If you like IJN DDs Hayate is great.

• Cool 2

[NORAY]
Players
324 posts
6,489 battles
28 minutos antes, Europizza dijo:

If you like IJN DDs Hayate is great

After the intial hype (hayaaaateeee) do you think the same about the ship? Im near 2M and I'm dubium, 

[NA-TO]
Players
115 posts
47 minutes ago, Europizza said:

If you like IJN DDs Hayate is great.

I can't see it being 2mill FXP better than the silvers, yes it's a better torp boat than the Hara but not as good a gunboat and harder hitting, less detectable torps but a launcher short of the Shima and less range.

Beta Tester
2,703 posts
7,748 battles
1 hour ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

I got good captains to put on her but still so underwhelmed by the ship. Even watched Superunicum videos on Yt and till not exited over it. Bad concealment, only 2 turrets, if 1 gets knocked out your down 50%, no torps, no heal .....!?!

High arcs as you say.... Didnt really like playing Fletcher and Gearing because of that arcs.

Hydro and long lasting smoke are good combi. Turret rarely gets knocked out tbh. Very good standard AA as well, with boost too. Sometimes 15+ air kills without getting damaged and the CV doesn't come near anymore.

Concealment is good enough once you got the upgrades. Lot of fire chance too.

[SHAD]
Players
4,410 posts
16,429 battles

Friesland will be less affected by the skill rework.

Agir will be on of the many supercruiser shaped fires.  Both are good ships but Frieslands combination of hydro, smoke and dpm make it a fierce cap contestor.

• Cool 1

[PHL]
Beta Tester
378 posts
21,684 battles

If you don't really need/want one of the existing ships, I would just wait & save.

With two FXP ships removed, another (two?) will be available in a few months. Maybe these are more interesting?

• Cool 1

[UNNF]
Players
277 posts
18,821 battles

I have both Friesland and Agir and they are both great ships.

Do not get tricked by the two turrets only on Friesland : it is a little monster that can eat you alive in no time :cap_old:

Agir is pure fun as well, you can engage Bbs , Cruisers & Dds and take them down , strong guns, good fire starter, great AP shells, decent secondaries, strong hull, hydro, AA - I love it.

With skilled commander both Agir and Friesland are very good ships !! :cap_cool:

• Cool 2

Players
4,887 posts
21,308 battles
1 hour ago, Bender76048k said:

After the intial hype (hayaaaateeee) do you think the same about the ship? Im near 2M and I'm dubium, 

Yes I still like it. Its my favorite IJN together with kita and harugumo. I have 68% WR with about 45 battles. I find it still very enjoyable to play her, and she might be not all that on paper, she hits hard when she's enabled by proper play. Weirdly enough I decided not to grind the Smalland. Every time I see that ship she is way more situational and a bit toothless in mid and end battles fighting cruisers and battleships when the DD battles are over. Hayate might be less powerfull at start but she is is a way bigger power and threat to cruisers and battleships throughout the entire match, at least according to me. This is only random though, she is not a competetive boat 

Worth 2M? Nothing is. Only if you have it laying about and have all the 1M ships you want. I dont regret spending it at all though and that says a lot.

• Cool 3

Players
467 posts
11,780 battles
2 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Yes I still like it. Its my favorite IJN together with kita and harugumo. I have 68% WR with about 45 battles. I find it still very enjoyable to play her, and she might be not all that on paper, she hits hard when she's enabled by proper play. Weirdly enough I decided not to grind the Smalland. Every time I see that ship she is way more situational and a bit toothless in mid and end battles fighting cruisers and battleships when the DD battles are over. Hayate might be less powerfull at start but she is is a way bigger power and threat to cruisers and battleships throughout the entire match, at least according to me.

[THESO]
Players
824 posts
3,922 battles
11 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Worth 2M? Nothing is.

Depends on what you get out of it though.
Småland is already my second most played ship, and looking to be number one very soon.
2M very well spent I'd say, and would in hindsight do it again 10/10.

Meanwhile, both Smolensk and Thunderer (both bought by the much less valuable coal resource) are rusting in port.

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles

I got Friesland for quite a while and im not happy with her. You want to go for enemy DDs - Z-46 can do the same. And because of no torps every other DD is better than Friesland in almost any other situation.

Also it amazed me, how many enemys understood, they are facing a Friesland, when you smoke up to farm them. The number of BBs and cruisers, that turn straight into me, even speedboosting, because they knew, they dont have to fear torps, amazed me. Pretty fast you are left with the decision "well either I hope my tiny guns somehow kill this 75% health BB in the next 20 sec or ill have to dissengage now" because else he will spot you, the latest when your smoke dissapears.

Ägir on the other hand - was the best thing to get during the 3x3 clanbrawl. Havent played Ägir in randoms yet, but that alone was worth it. Its super fun to rush stuff down, even 1vs2, and just beat them with tankiness and the torps. I used a secondary build and it was pretty good against all targets, espc. against DDs.

The Research Bureau... is prolly an option, when you really want one of the ships there. I cant comment much on the, not a fan of resetting lines and I can do without those ships I think.

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
5 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

Småland is already my second most played ship, and looking to be number one very soon.

Eventhough I spend the 2M for Smaland aswell, Id still agree that no ship is worth it. Imagine how many resets you could push through with 2M free XP. or you could unlock 3 complete silver lines from T1 to T10 with 2M free XP. That kinda puts it into perspective.

Players
4,887 posts
21,308 battles
11 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

Meanwhile, both Smolensk and Thunderer (both bought by the much less valuable coal resource) are rusting in port.

I woudnt spend 2m on any ship I have, silver, premium or special, so its relative to me. I had 2m and was simply irrationally curious for the Hayate everyone was dissing. Thats just my inner salmon swimming against the strwam. I bought the Thunderer too after avoiding it 3x before. I regret falling for the urge, I wont be playing it much.

I am at 1m fxp now, and decided yesterday I wont try to grind the Smalland, with forementioned reasons. Happy for you, not worth a grind for me :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
824 posts
3,922 battles
1 minute ago, ForlornSailor said:

Eventhough I spend the 2M for Smaland aswell, Id still agree that no ship is worth it. Imagine how many resets you could push through with 2M free XP. or you could unlock 3 complete silver lines from T1 to T10 with 2M free XP. That kinda puts it into perspective.

I'd still be stuck without a Småland though, a ship I have ridiculous amounts of fun with.
Prolly could have done a few resets, but the only ship that remotely interests me there is Ohio, and I don't really BB much as I find the gameplay too boring.
And since the game is ultimately about having fun for me, I'm well happy with the purchase.

[THESO]
Players
824 posts
3,922 battles
3 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I am at 1m fxp now, and decided yesterday I wont try to grind the Smalland, with forementioned reasons. Happy for you, not worth a grind for me :cap_like:

That's fine.

Currently at 800k something myself, with nothing I really want to spend it on atm.
Gonna hold onto it until something fun comes along, but am prepared to fork out another 1,2M if needed as long as I get something that rivals Småland in the fun department. :-)

• Cool 1

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
25 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

I'd still be stuck without a Småland though, a ship I have ridiculous amounts of fun with.
Prolly could have done a few resets, but the only ship that remotely interests me there is Ohio, and I don't really BB much as I find the gameplay too boring.
And since the game is ultimately about having fun for me, I'm well happy with the purchase.

Yea, ultimatly, this is the core of the truth. As long as you are having fun, everything is worth it. Its not like we can take our free XP and buy a car in real life for it. So we dont really "lose" anything and argueing, something isnt worth it, is always questionable. It might ofc be a point, if you want any other ship or think about saving the free XP, because you speculate, there will be a new free XP ship soon, which you then cant get, because you threw out your free XP... stuff like that. But yea, Id still advice against the Friesland, she is too one-dimensional. If anyone wants to farm fires, you can play Tashkent, which is a better DD in all regards.

Sign in to follow this