Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NobleRipper

Sunken Port Idea

26 comments in this topic

[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts

I've clearly been reading too many shipwreck books lately, as I've gotten around to thinking that it would be cool to have an underwater 'port' for the game client.

Essentially it would be some kind of sea-bottom location (lots of variation around the world so plenty of choice for the devs), with ships showing up as if they had sunk and settled in the seabed so they'd be still, like in Fjords etc. and effectively buried up to the usual waterline for convenience's sake; it would be rather resource-intensive to give each and every ship a 'sunken wreck' appearance just for the one port, but I imagine that a lot could be done with the lighting engine with shifting colours and shadows to evoke the right atmosphere; the port could have a day-night cycle where the ambient light from above gets dimmer but the various flora and fauna on the seafloor start to show off their bioluminescence, as a neat extra touch. There are already ports with distinctive lighting schemes, so it presumably shouldn't be too hard to come up with something interesting.

As far as flag animations etc. go, I imagine that it could be fudged to appear as if they're simply swaying in the currents; the flags still flap in the Spaceport so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

And yes, it would seem incongruous for apparently intact ships to be sitting on the seabed, but there are already various fantastical and/or stylistic ports around, so why not? It would be no stranger than seeing Bismarck moored next to London Bridge really, and in any case if subs are eventually going to make it into the game (although WG seem a bit vague on the timetabling there at the moment), it would be good for them to have a port to show them in their natural element.

Plus singing lobster, obviously.

• Cool 17
  • Funny 3

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,231 battles

Davy Jones's Locker port? Would work nicely with those "From the Bottom of the Sea" camos that Bismarck and Hood (I think) have....

• Cool 3

[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

Davy Jones's Locker port? Would work nicely with those "From the Bottom of the Sea" camos that Bismarck and Hood (I think) have....

Had the Bismarck one in mind when I was writing it (as that's the one that can be got from the collection, which I'll soon have completed).

Also if WG picks it up, would be interesting to see it work with my other big idea of introducing airships to the game; sunken Zeppelins anyone? :Smile_trollface:

Players
7,648 posts
39 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

Had the Bismarck one in mind when I was writing it (as that's the one that can be got from the collection, which I'll soon have completed).

Also if WG picks it up, would be interesting to see it work with my other big idea of introducing airships to the game; sunken Zeppelins anyone? :Smile_trollface:

Hehe.. not sure how Zeppelins would work underwater but... we could see whales in their natural habitat. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
6,069 posts
23,198 battles
3 hours ago, NobleSauvage said:

Plus singing lobster, obviously.

...and a bare-breasted mermaid (Dasha in costume?)

with at least D-Cups

Or maybe variable size boobies, depending what class is currently displayed... A for DD, B for Cruiser, C for BBs and DD for CVs...

• Funny 4

Players
2,775 posts
21,129 battles
3 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

...and a bare-breasted mermaid (Dasha in costume?)

with at least D-Cups

Or maybe variable size boobies, depending what class is currently displayed... A for DD, B for Cruiser, C for BBs and DD for CVs...

Shouldn't it be Flat - A for CVs given they are flat tops ;)

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
6,069 posts
23,198 battles
5 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

Nah.. has to be biiig... 'cause WG obviously CVs are the biggest thing since pre-sliced packed bread :cap_cool:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
43 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

Flat tops, but full and shapely curved bottoms ;)

*Ahem*

Was also thinking there could be some other shipwrecks around the place, for scenery: HMS Victoria would be an interesting one.

• Funny 1

Players
3,184 posts
15,235 battles
4 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

i'm sure the community would complain if we got our own port :Smile-_tongue: mind the BOOBS one might be interesting...

• Funny 1

Players
2,775 posts
21,129 battles
16 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

Flat tops, but full and shapely curved bottoms ;)

*Ahem*

Was also thinking there could be some other shipwrecks around the place, for scenery: HMS Victoria would be an interesting one.

I see you are a man of culture ;)

Also good taste with the Victoria, add the ghost of Admiral Tryon still stood aboard and I’m with you. 

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
Just now, lovelacebeer said:

I see you are a man of culture ;)

Yep, just like mould ;)

Just now, lovelacebeer said:

Also good taste with the Victoria, add the ghost of Admiral Tryon still stood aboard and I’m with you. 

Always liked that one! Anyone else know any really interesting wrecks they could include? :)

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,231 battles
32 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

Always liked that one! Anyone else know any really interesting wrecks they could include? :)

The SS Richard Montgomery. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

It's a World War 2 Liberty ship that was wrecked in the Thames in WW2. It's about a quarter of a mile off the coast of Sheppey, and still contains around 1500 tons of explosives. The explosives are becoming unstable, and could detonate, resulting in a tsunami that could swamp Sheerness and cause millions of pounds worth of improvements. 

• Cool 1

[LX]
Players
435 posts
23,716 battles

You could have a wrecked freighter to find your daily crates from.

Instead of torpedo polisher & deck sweeper you could have some divers searching for all that loot.

Diver gives a couple of tugs on a rope to signal the salvage vessel above to hoist the crate from cargo hold of the wrecked freighter.

Once hauled on deck of the salvage vessel you get to see the goodies.

• Cool 3

Players
2,775 posts
21,129 battles
45 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

As a general background I would love to see various ships of the Russian fleet from the battle of Tsushima. 

However if it were to be a specific ship I would have to go for the SS Athenia certainly the first British but I believe the first ship of WW2 to be sunk on the 3rd September 1939.

BF0615A1-CE61-4A19-91EE-16E1BC984919.jpeg

• Cool 1

Players
699 posts
5,022 battles

If WG do this, they should model ships that famously disappeared, and have them lying on the seabed nearby - ships such as USS Cyclops and SS Waratah.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,231 battles
11 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

If WG do this, they should model ships that famously disappeared, and have them lying on the seabed nearby - ships such as USS Cyclops and SS Waratah.

Now, there's an internet rabbit hole. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cyclops_(AC-4)

Named for the Cyclops, a primordial race of giants from Greek mythology, she was the second U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name. The loss of the ship and 306 crew and passengers without a trace some time after 4 March 1918 remains the single largest loss of life in U.S. Naval history not directly involving combat.

Ships in the class: 

USS Cyclops (Ac-4) lost without trace between Brazil and the USA, 1918.

USS Proteus (AC-9) was sold on 8 March 1941, became part of the Canadian Merchant Navy, and was lost at sea without a trace, probably in or near the Caribbean Sea, sometime after 25 November 1941.

USS Nereus (AC-10) was sold to the Aluminium Company of Canada on 27 February 1941. She was lost without a trace after departing Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on 10 December 1941, with a load of bauxite ore (for making aluminum).

USS Jupiter (AC-3) was converted to an aircraft carrier between 1920 and 1922 and was recommissioned as...

(Bulk carriers are infamous for sinking due to catastrophic hull failure. Check out the wiki pages on the MV Derbyshire and the SS Edmund Fitzgerald for more information...)

• Cool 3

[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
3 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

The SS Richard Montgomery. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

It's a World War 2 Liberty ship that was wrecked in the Thames in WW2. It's about a quarter of a mile off the coast of Sheppey, and still contains around 1500 tons of explosives. The explosives are becoming unstable, and could detonate, resulting in a tsunami that could swamp Sheerness and cause millions of pounds worth of improvements. 

Yes, love it! Maybe for festive occasions they could have an incendiary or two going off every now and again ;)

1 hour ago, Pametrada said:

Well now, if we're going for infamous disappearances, can't go wrong with Surcouf...

• Cool 2

Players
699 posts
5,022 battles
14 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

. The explosives are becoming unstable, and could detonate, resulting in a tsunami that could swamp Sheerness and cause millions of pounds worth of improvements. 

Ohhh very cheeky! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 2

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,385 posts
9,814 battles

Sunken Port

That would fit with the current state of the game which is sinking down like a rock.

• Funny 2

Players
699 posts
5,022 battles
On 1/10/2021 at 11:34 PM, invicta2012 said:

Now, there's an internet rabbit hole. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cyclops_(AC-4)

Named for the Cyclops, a primordial race of giants from Greek mythology, she was the second U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name. The loss of the ship and 306 crew and passengers without a trace some time after 4 March 1918 remains the single largest loss of life in U.S. Naval history not directly involving combat.

Intriguingly, it is possible that the wreck of the Cyclops was seen during the search for the lost nuclear submarine USS Scorpion, in 1968. One of the search ships detected a large wreck with its sonar and a diver was sent down. On his return to the surface, he reported a ship with a large number of gantries along its deck. On being shown a photo of the Cyclops, he was certain it was the same ship. The position matched the track Cyclops would have taken, so it was marked with a buoy, and the search for the submarine continued. Some years later, an expedition was mounted to visit the location and find the wreck, but the buoy had long since gone, and the ship they found was not the same one as seen before. The disappearance of  USS Cyclops shared top billing with Flight 19 in Charles Berlitz's books about the so-called Bermuda Triangle ( something he himself invented ).

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
16 hours ago, Pametrada said:

Intriguingly, it is possible that the wreck of the Cyclops was seen during the search for the lost nuclear submarine USS Scorpion, in 1968. One of the search ships detected a large wreck with its sonar and a diver was sent down. On his return to the surface, he reported a ship with a large number of gantries along its deck. On being shown a photo of the Cyclops, he was certain it was the same ship. The position matched the track Cyclops would have taken, so it was marked with a buoy, and the search for the submarine continued. Some years later, an expedition was mounted to visit the location and find the wreck, but the buoy had long since gone, and the ship they found was not the same one as seen before. The disappearance of  USS Cyclops shared top billing with Flight 19 in Charles Berlitz's books about the so-called Bermuda Triangle ( something he himself invented ).

Hope noone minds the self-bump, but the thought occurs that having shifting light/current conditions which can alternately hide and reveal different wrecks (instead of the usual small boats/planes buzzing about) would be a cool feature, and add a little mystery ;)

Also, in terms of real-world places that would be strong candidates, Ironbottom Sound would be a natural.

• Cool 1

[ELEC]
Players
919 posts
5,404 battles

I think that, the way things are with this game right now, WG might introduce a map which is basically a giant a s s-crack.

Sign in to follow this