You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bubba_S

New ranked is breaking the game

64 comments in this topic

[BW-UK]
Players
81 posts
23,611 battles

Hi fellow players!

I have been playing this game for over 5 years. I am 45 years of age, father of 3, married and self-employed.

Its a really fun game and I love playing with you guys, even when there is a momentairely rant etc in the heat of battle!

After grinding all lines and getting all ships and buying all the Premium ships and tons of containers, doubloons etc, the end game for me has been ranked and to some extension CB. 

I have ranked out more than 10 times in both long and sprints. The stats for ranked are gone so I can't be presise.

With the new ranked you have killed the ranks for likes as me

1. There isn't time for the likes of me to play ranked. Removing nightplay has twarted me. Making sprint with only one week duration means there is no real time to play rank out. 

If I tried I would have to sacrifice my marriage, disown my kids and shaft my work for living. That is not an option. It is not only me but several in my clan feel the same. 

2. Having continous ranked sprint seasons and a "whole season" with short breaks between will wear out the players. With the old ranked system you played intensely for 5 weeks and after that you could chill in randoms and restore yourself and keep the will to play the game.

Now I predict mass burn-out and ranked to be washed out and pointless.

3.  I hear you say: Just stop and play at bronze... just play every second ranked sprint etc... Bronze is no challenge.... even coop is more fun.... (if ever coop was fun...) so this is not a good replacement.

4. Businesswise... how are WG gonna keep profit when they alienate the players that has the founds to support the game. Once a WG employee explained the Puerto Rico grind was made for the disabilled and unemployed to have a challenge...

I am not going to go further into that, but do WG think bots and such will fund this game? I am NOT calling for PLAY TO WIN actions in the game,  but some resonable and sound events in this game.

I know this is a test season. I hope it will not stay in this state as it will kill the fun over time for a lot of players like me. 

Salut from Bubba-S

• Cool 22

Players
7,658 posts

I can't even manage Bronze, because every few days WG kicks the ladder and I tumble back down to rank 7. This is pathetic, as in the old ranked system I could reach rank 15 playing half asleep, rank 10 with a little more effort, and even reach rank 7 if I was lucky and willing to try hard enough.

Thanks WeeGee, for ruining yet one more game mode. :Smile-angry:

• Cool 4

[LSCA]
Players
2,029 posts
15,005 battles
26 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

I can't even manage Bronze, because every few days WG

yes if you play one time at week

Players
511 posts
8,203 battles

Yes it's too time consuming. 40-50 battles for silver league is too much. But on other side in may dissuade bad players from even trying higher leagues. 

• Funny 1

Players
7,658 posts
8 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

yes if you play one time at week

I played every day initially when it started. I peaked at rank 3 in Bronze league. Admittedly, was so frustrated after about five days of trying to reach rank 1 that I gave up. Then came the reset, and I was back at rank 7 and never looked at it since then.

Is this 'working as intended'?

1 minute ago, Perekotypole said:

Yes it's too time consuming. 40-50 battles for silver league is too much. But on other side in may dissuade bad players from even trying higher leagues. 

Depends on your definition of a bad player. I am below average, yet was able to get a sense of achievement with the old ranked system which I'm now denied. If WG planned to get below average to average players out of ranked altogether, why bother with three tier league system at all, unless it is set up for some other reason.

• Cool 1

[LSCA]
Players
2,029 posts
15,005 battles
2 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Is this 'working as intended'?

yes, resets every week

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
50 minutes ago, Bubba_S said:

3.  I hear you say: Just stop and play at bronze... just play every second ranked sprint etc... Bronze is no challenge.... even coop is more fun.... (if ever coop was fun...) so this is not a good replacement. 

Cant we go more into detail why this is bad?

Because, i dont see an issue with this. I have no intention to leave bronze. Going to silver (or even gold) means, you have to play MUCH more and for what actually? Rewards are a joke, they actually are a joke if you intend to play 6 weeks bronze in a row for ~70+ battles or so (depending on luck). Thats 70+ battles for 2400 steel and some doubloons (doubloons are nice tho). Now if you go to silver, you probably need 100-150 games in 6 weeks, and if you wanna do gold, i think you will end up with 350-400 or so over the cource of 6 weeks if you are reasonably good.

56 minutes ago, Bubba_S said:

2. Having continous ranked sprint seasons and a "whole season" with short breaks between will wear out the players. With the old ranked system you played intensely for 5 weeks and after that you could chill in randoms and restore yourself and keep the will to play the game.

You can still do that? Just go ham on one season, and then ignore the next 2. Then rinse repeat. I mean, if you want to play a lot of games in 5-6 weeks time and take a break, you can still do that. I dont intend to play a spint every week. Maybe ill do next week, or maybe not. What am i missing if i dont do it? 400 steel and 200 doubloons... hardly a big loss.

The question is, can you play 15 games per week to get through Bronze or not? You have 20k battles on your acc, i really dont see how this is an issue. Just forget gold league exists and you are fine.

• Cool 4

Players
7,658 posts
Just now, gabberworld said:

yes, resets every week

I didn't mean that, I meant if the idea was to frustrate people to persuade them to give up ranked, or,  specifically, certain type of players.

[BW-UK]
Players
81 posts
23,611 battles

Cant we go more into detail why this is bad?

Because, i dont see an issue with this. I have no intention to leave bronze. Going to silver (or even gold) means, you have to play MUCH more and for what actually? Rewards are a joke, they actually are a joke if you intend to play 6 weeks bronze in a row for ~70+ battles or so (depending on luck). Thats 70+ battles for 2400 steel and some doubloons (doubloons are nice tho). Now if you go to silver, you probably need 100-150 games in 6 weeks, and if you wanna do gold, i think you will end up with 350-400 or so over the cource of 6 weeks if you are reasonably good.

You just answered it yourself...  You are lowering yourself to confide in bronze because you don't have the time to spend in silver and gold...  

• Cool 1

[LSCA]
Players
2,029 posts
15,005 battles

6 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

I didn't mean that, I meant if the idea was to frustrate people to persuade them to give up ranked, or,  specifically, certain type of players.

it  should not be easy you know? after all you can get doubloons at rank 1

• Bad 1

Players
3,309 posts
10,874 battles
5 minutes ago, Bubba_S said:

You just answered it yourself...  You are lowering yourself to confide in bronze because you don't have the time to spend in silver and gold...  

and that is a bad thing....how exactly?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
8 minutes ago, Bubba_S said:

I still dont understand why this is bad? Its not like, that they are the holy grail of awesome play. People have been complaining left and right about bad play in Silver, heck even in gold. Ive seen <50% players spam games and reach Gold already. Trying to outrun the bots and bad players by going into gold is just a fantasy. There are 3 more weeks to go, every week more bad players will go into silver and gold, making the level of play even more infuriating.

This week in Bronze was actually kinda hilarious :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
7,658 posts
12 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

it  should not be easy you know? after all you can get doubloons at rank 1

I've played the old style ranked for several seasons, what I'm saying I could achieve something then, and what I'm thinking if someone thought that it was too easy then as it allowed me and other more or less average players achieve something other than heightened levels of frustration and disappointment.

[LSCA]
Players
2,029 posts
15,005 battles
4 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

I've played the old style ranked for several seasons, what I'm saying I could achieve something then, and what I'm thinking if someone thought that it was too easy then as it allowed me and other more or less average players achieve something other than heightened levels of frustration and disappointment.

dunno where is the problem really , i made bronze at first day

• Bad 1

Players
7,658 posts
Just now, gabberworld said:

dunno where is the problem really , i made bronze at first day

I didn't. I got too many strings of bad matches, and I'm never the one to save the star. Possibly, as in the old system, if there hadn't been a weekly reset, and if I had kept pushing and pushing, I might have eventually reached Bronze rank 1.

[BW-UK]
Players
81 posts
23,611 battles

Bronze league will always have less of a challenge as gold even u have potatoes in gold aswell

Beta Tester
3,794 posts
17,101 battles
37 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Rewards are a joke, they actually are a joke if you intend to play 6 weeks bronze in a row for ~70+ battles or so (depending on luck). Thats 70+ battles for 2400 steel and some doubloons (doubloons are nice tho). 

I agree with you in everything, but the rewards in Bronze being crap. 

The 2.400 steel and 1.200 Doubloons for the season in Bronze are just really convenient to get.

While in the old system it was possible to get more steel per game, it was much more frustrating and exhausting to grind through in a relatively short time frame. 

Sure, in the old system you could also just get R5 and earn even more steel per game without much effort. But I think over the year you can get more steel with the new system in comparison to that. 

So for casual Ranked play I wouldn't consider the rewards bad. 

[SVX]
Players
1,476 posts
17,638 battles

i play on gold and i think its quite easy to play ranked tbh ranked 5 stars today!

[TC1S]
Players
2,655 posts
13,972 battles
7 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

The 2.400 steel and 1.200 Doubloons for the season in Bronze are just really convenient to get.

Yes, and that's why my suspicion that the bronze rewards will be nerfed, and the silver/gold ones buffed (but only a little), so to force everyone into that pepegafest.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,794 posts
17,101 battles
9 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

Yes, and that's why my suspicion that the bronze rewards will be nerfed, and the silver/gold ones buffed (but only a little), so to force everyone into that pepegafest.

Unfortunately, I expect the same. 

But the current Bronze is nice casual gameplay for good rewards. I hope they just nerf the doubloons, not the steel. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,588 posts
1 hour ago, Perekotypole said:

Which is only going to negatively impact queue times and will make you play against same FDR player every game...

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
1 minute ago, Saiyko said:

Definetely sounds like something WG would do, thats why i expect that aswell. I even think they will butcher bronze rewards completely.

12 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

I agree with you in everything, but the rewards in Bronze being crap. 

While in the old system it was possible to get more steel per game, it was much more frustrating and exhausting to grind through in a relatively short time frame. 

Sure, in the old system you could also just get R5 and earn even more steel per game without much effort. But I think over the year you can get more steel with the new system in comparison to that. 

So for casual Ranked play I wouldn't consider the rewards bad. 

It really is a double edged sword imo. Thats why i said, doubloons are nice. If you want camos/signals, its not so nice because they basicly removed them completely apart from the few camos. Not a big issue for me, but WG seems to have lowered the camos/signals rewards everywhere, which means at some point i might run out. And i believe most people dont have so many camos/signals in stock in the first place.

In the end it depends, how many seasons per year we will get. Maybe 6? So thats 6 weeks per season then 2 weeks off and start again. If id go for R1 every week, it would be roughly 70 games/2 months. So 420 games per year. I only ever had 488 games in the old ranked version (thats with sprints!) over 4 years.

And i couldnt even afford a steel ship playing the entire year... yeah im not exactly impressed. I still think its too much effort for too little rewards. Well, its not much effort, but if you consider playing 400 games over the entire year for 14k steel, when a ship costs like 20-24k with coupon?

To me, CBs would be a better option. More fun (ok, not with CVs tho..., but in general), less time consuming, more steel + other rewards. Imagine, if you would do ranked and CBs at the same time? I wonder if they will change something in that regard :cap_hmm:

Beta Tester
3,794 posts
17,101 battles
15 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

In the end it depends, how many seasons per year we will get. Maybe 6? So thats 6 weeks per season then 2 weeks off and start again. 

The whole point of the new system is that there will always be Ranked available.

I don't think there will be actual brakes between the seasons. 

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
Just now, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

The whole point of the new system is that there will always be Ranked available.

I don't think there will be actual brakes between the seasons. 

Didnt they say there will be short breaks? Can mean everything ofc, could be 2 days till a patch hits or something...

Players
1,088 posts
7,459 battles
1 hour ago, Bubba_S said:

Hi fellow players!

I have been playing this game for over 5 years. I am 45 years of age, father of 3, married and self-employed.

Its a really fun game and I love playing with you guys, even when there is a momentairely rant etc in the heat of battle!

After grinding all lines and getting all ships and buying all the Premium ships and tons of containers, doubloons etc, the end game for me has been ranked and to some extension CB. 

I have ranked out more than 10 times in both long and sprints. The stats for ranked are gone so I can't be presise.

With the new ranked you have killed the ranks for likes as me

1. There isn't time for the likes of me to play ranked. Removing nightplay has twarted me. Making sprint with only one week duration means there is no real time to play rank out. 

If I tried I would have to sacrifice my marriage, disown my kids and shaft my work for living. That is not an option. It is not only me but several in my clan feel the same. 

Now I predict mass burn-out and ranked to be washed out and pointless.

4. Businesswise... how are WG gonna keep profit when they alienate the players that has the founds to support the game. Once a WG employee explained the Puerto Rico grind was made for the disabilled and unemployed to have a challenge...

I am not going to go further into that, but do WG think bots and such will fund this game? I am NOT calling for PLAY TO WIN actions in the game,  but some resonable and sound events in this game.

I know this is a test season. I hope it will not stay in this state as it will kill the fun over time for a lot of players like me. 

Salut from Bubba-S

I see your points, and understand where you are coming from, though I can easily think of counter arguments:

1. Time slot: I can see where you are coming from, though I can see a number of factors coming into this: Player pool, match making and level of competition depending on the time you play. For many, ranking out was NOT an option any way, due to time constraints. I already see the issue when playing fairly early morning in the weekend (same players in consecutive games on a few occasions).

2. Continuous ranked sprint: This might be true for you, but I would guess there were quite a few people around for whom the old set-up did not work at all. Just talking from personal perspective, there would be NO WAY at all where I would be able to come close to ranking out, or being able to consistently put in the number of games required to come close to ranking out. Note that in the past, quite a few people would have to choose between ranked or playing for missions and directives (let alone clan battles). For me, traditional ranked would be unfeasible for me to play at all. 

3. Bronze is no challenge etc.: Then move on to silver, and go from there. You have a week.

4. Alienating the player base that supports the game: I have no idea what the numbers were for WG, but my guess is that you as an individual might actually be in the minority. Just from what I have seen:

• Ranked turning (extremely) toxic very quickly due to all kinds of pressures to advance from what I have seen as an outsider. My first impression - at least for Bronze - is that toxicity is less.
  • A lot of people seem to have considered ranked becoming extremely stale and boring.
  • Many WoWs streamers getting turned off in ranked, and simply deciding that either ranked is a necessary drag (my viewers expect it from me), just not advance beyond something like T10, or setting themselves additional challenges to keep things interesting (play a different ship every game and such a thing).
  • I think you could well be VERY wrong about what aspect of the player base is actually supporting the game.

WG changing up ranked could well be the result of ranked itself being in trouble (dwindling numbers, the massive toxicity, and so on).

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2