Server Restart - On the 17/09 the server will be unavailable for 1 hour Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
VedranSeaWolf359

Why next update isn't v1.0.0.0?

32 comments in this topic

Players
192 posts

I on begin of 2020 I hope that in 2021 game will finally become v1.0. Why next update isn't  v1.0.0.0?

if WG continue to use 0.10.0.0., 0.10.1.0. etc game will never get v1.0. I think that WoW grow enough in last 5 years that it can become v1.0.0.0

[CN_]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
2,477 posts
7,270 battles

What's the problem if the version is 0.10.0 or 0.11.0? WG just decided to use that versioning, it doesn't change the content of the game. There is simply no need to release a version 1.0, the game has left beta years ago. They just use an uncommon versioning pattern.

• Cool 1

Players
3,184 posts
15,177 battles
29 minutes ago, VedranSeaWolf359 said:

I on begin of 2020 I hope that in 2021 game will finally become v1.0. Why next update isn't  v1.0.0.0?

if WG continue to use 0.10.0.0., 0.10.1.0. etc game will never get v1.0. I think that WoW grow enough in last 5 years that it can become v1.0.0.0

and what difference does it make?

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,372 posts
11,264 battles

Because generally the farther to the left the number is, the more important or big the update is....I guess WG wasn't quite ready to implement a second CV rework or gods forbid an engine optimisation this time yet.

[CATS]
Players
32,385 posts
16,184 battles
53 minutes ago, VedranSeaWolf359 said:

Why next update isn't v1.0.0.0?

Because after 9 comes 10, not 0.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 2

Players
692 posts
5,022 battles
1 hour ago, VedranSeaWolf359 said:

I agree - it's a scandal. We should all storm the WG offices and demand ONE.

• Funny 1

Players
1,994 posts
10,721 battles
1 ora fa, VedranSeaWolf359 ha scritto:

because they forgot numbers.

Here they are: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
5 hours ago, VedranSeaWolf359 said:

This is not how versioning of software works. The dots aren't there to make it easier to count the digits, they separate bigger and smaller revisions. There are some variations to the  convention, but one thing to be said for sure is that dropping 1 at the beginning would never be caused by the number on the second place getting to some arbitrary big number.

With 4-part version number and a product that isn't meant to be backwards compatible, the typical numbering could be probably deciphered more-or-less as follows:

full_release_number - huge landmark

major_version - big change that fundamentally alters the game

minor_version - notable changes were made, some things are different

patch - tiny changes, maybe cosmetics, probably no noticeable functional changes, maybe with the exception of some hotfixes

If there was concern for backwards compatibility, then "patch" would imply no functional changes, "minor version" would mean changes/additions that shouldn't break old compatibility/integration while "major version" might. So, basically, as long as you'd have the same "minor version", you probably shouldn't notice any difference and if you have the same "major version", difference might be noticeable, but shouldn't break anything from what was already working. Still, this convention isn't always adhered to that strongly AND in case of WoWs there seems to be the general assumption that everything runs on current version - which kind of frees the devs to have the numbers mean whatever they want them to mean. But it should still follow the overall pattern that you just increment the lowest applicable number until you reach a change/landmark that requires incrementation a step higher.

As a result, most likely there would be two situations that might prompt bumping us to a version 1.0:

a) The game changed in such a fundamental way that all the earlier changes were just a build-up. Perhaps if the engine got a complete overhaul or something like that?

b) WG decided that "this is the TRUE release" and affirmed that everything before that was pretty much a very, very extensive open beta and now the game is in a final enough state to mark this transition with a "big version number 1".

PS: Please note that the above is pretty general in nature. Originally just wanting to make my point that this is not a system where you go to 9 (or any other arbitrary number) and then automatically "move up the ladder" to the more meaningful digit. Unfortunately, I got careless and ended up writing quite a lot - but this doesn't mean that I performed an in-depth analysis of version numbering in WoWs, so bear in mind that this is still at the level of first impression based on my overall experiences with software numbering :Smile-_tongue:

[THESO]
Players
5,137 posts

Also dont forget the legal aspect.

As long as they keep the game in beta, they can change things without any major consequences (that affects refund policy greatly for example...).

Now use your imagination.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
32,385 posts
16,184 battles
40 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Also dont forget the legal aspect.

As long as they keep the game in beta, they can change things without any major consequences (that affects refund policy greatly for example...).

Now use your imagination.

The game is out of beta, officially...

Changing version numbers is of no legal consequence in that regard...

• Bad 1

[THESO]
Players
5,137 posts
39 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

The game is out of beta, officially...

Changing version numbers is of no legal consequence in that regard...

Apparently I was not invited to the "release party" :)

Game being in constant development and version number, would suggest it's still in beta.

Apparently its not.

[CATS]
Players
32,385 posts
16,184 battles
22 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Apparently I was not invited to the "release party" :)

Game being in constant development and version number, would suggest it's still in beta.

Apparently its not.

World of Warcraft is changing for over 10 years. Still beta?

Most online games have to change all the time or they go under. Players want new content.

Players
2,726 posts
21,048 battles

WG seem to want to keep update 1.0.0 for a really major change. If we take the example from World of Tanks a game that launched in 2010, they didn’t get to update 1.0.0 until March 2018. Even then that update was for when they moved away from the Bigworld engine. 

Eventually we will get update 1.0.0 here on WoWS but it will be for something that WG consider suitably big. 

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
3,504 posts
27,609 battles

afaik 1st number only changes with major tech changes, like f.e. using a new engine/translating/rebuilding the game into a new technical environment. everything directly gameplay related, as cv rework, would be to find in the 2nd figure, and so on (as described).

2cts

[THESO]
Players
5,137 posts
46 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

World of Warcraft is changing for over 10 years. Still beta?

Most online games have to change all the time or they go under. Players want new content.

Adding content is something different, than changing game mechanics.

I can name several players, that joined the game for RTS CV play alone, spent hundreds of euros only to get their sold gameplay completely removed.

[CATS]
Players
32,385 posts
16,184 battles
Just now, nambr9 said:

Adding content is something different, than changing game mechanics.

Word of Warcraft changed the mechanics all the time. 

[THESO]
Players
5,137 posts
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Word of Warcraft changed the mechanics all the time. 

Can not judge, never played WoW.

[BOATY]
Players
1,311 posts
16,528 battles

I hate to be the message in this but F it. Version identification has little to no bearing on release status and or legal implications toward fraud. Version designations are mostly arbitrary and determined by the developers and hold no legal basis or are required to conform to a standard. 0.9.12.0.3246976 is build number and nothing more.

• Cool 2

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
771 posts
5,736 battles
2 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Can not judge, never played WoW.

oh man ,oh man, the pinnacle of the games