Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[2DIE]
Players
8 posts
3,458 battles

Hi!

I'm quite an inexperienced player, yet to get my first T10 (I'm just a few k exp away from it).
I have 5k steel and 120k coal, meaning I'm very close to getting almost any coal ship, provided I use my 25% coupon.

Which ship should I buy? I've been thinking about Georgia or saving just a little bit to get Marceau, but Flint also sounds like a really fun option. I play mostly cruisers and destroyers, but higher tier BBs are really enjoyable, too. 
Quite frankly, the only reason I didn't grind BBs is the abysmal speed of low tier - BBs, but that is not a concern when discussing Tier IX ships.

Or maybe should I save my steel and grind coal for another few months instead?

Thnaks for help,
Jowiszowy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
5,143 posts

Save steel. Its the second most valuable resource (first would be research points).

 

As for the coal ships go watch a few YT vids on each and then decide for yourself.

 

Also keep in mind, that several will get removed from the armory soon...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BIF]
Players
523 posts
6,466 battles

Flint gonna lose AFT and BFT in the upcoming captain skill rework, so it gonna have basically a range of a DD after that ( 11-ish km ).

 

Georgia is the fastest battleship in the game, almost can reach 40 knots, good credit earner as a T9 premium, only 6 457 mm guns, but those are very accurate, she has very good secondarys too.

 

Thunderer is a long range sniper and HE spammer with 8 very accurate 457 mm guns.

 

Check out this link on the NA forums, LittleWhiteMouse has an excellent list of all premium ships :

 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/210980-mouses-catalog-of-ship-reviews/

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
5,143 posts
1 minute ago, K82J said:

Thunderer is a long range sniper and HE spammer with 8 very accurate 457 mm guns.

 

I think saying that Thunderer is HE only is kinda doing the ship wrong. AP is just as strong, hell I use AP way more than HE.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
38 posts
6,563 battles

The tier 10s are special ships - effectively premiums but without a baked-in credit bonus. Tier 9s are true premiums but their permanent camouflage is better. What this means is that the tier 9s are better credit earners, but tier 10s earn more xp due to their tier, all being equal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles

DONT get Flint. seriously, it will be garbage in like 10-11 days when the next patch hits.

Georgia gets removed in like 5-6 weeks or so (patch should be 18.02). Wouldnt recommend Marceau, its not an easy ship to play well. Georgia tends to have the same issue tho, if you arent good to begin with. Faster ships tend to get you into trouble faster.

 

I see you have been playing Scharnhorst and Tirpitz. Did you like those? Then Pommern could be a good choice.

Would be nice, if WG would have more decent midtier coalships available...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[2DIE]
Players
8 posts
3,458 battles
Just now, DFens_666 said:

DONT get Flint. seriously, it will be garbage in like 10-11 days when the next patch hits.

Georgia gets removed in like 5-6 weeks or so (patch should be 18.02). Wouldnt recommend Marceau, its not an easy ship to play well. Georgia tends to have the same issue tho, if you arent good to begin with. Faster ships tend to get you into trouble faster.

 

I see you have been playing Scharnhorst and Tirpitz. Did you like those? Then Pommern could be a good choice.

Would be nice, if WG would have more decent midtier coalships available...

Scharnhorst is fun, Tirpitz I only played when i got a "test drive", I recall it being nice to play, but didn't have much time to play it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WDG]
Players
121 posts
9,254 battles

If you want strong TX ship for coal, take Thunderer before she is gone. Georgia is fun as well, but some people who play this game way better than most of us do say that Thunderer is best BB in game. Misconception is that it is only long range HE spammer. I played lots of battles in Thunderer in previous and current Ranked and there we some battles when I did not send single HE salvo. Maybe because people think it is OK to show broadside to Thunderer ;) She is not a brawler with soft armor and easy to get citadel, but I managed to sneak around some rocks to deliver lots of hurt on close range as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THIR]
Players
965 posts
4,701 battles
19 minutes ago, K82J said:

Thunderer is a long range sniper and HE spammer with 8 very accurate 457 mm guns.

And this right here is the reason why we had the ship in the armory for this long in the first place. People criminally misplaying it.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
4,403 posts
16,401 battles

I feel like I shouldn't recommend Thunderer to someone who doesn't yet have a tier ten but the ship is so good.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RODS]
Players
1,962 posts
7,828 battles

Everyone hates the Thunderer for a reason

HE/AP sniper god

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[2DIE]
Players
8 posts
3,458 battles

I haven't seen any opinions on Moskva/Salem/Yoshino. Are they at least decent? I wasn't really considering Salem, because it's so similar to Des Moines, which I'm about to get anyway

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RODS]
Players
1,962 posts
7,828 battles
36 minutes ago, Jowiszowy said:

I haven't seen any opinions on Moskva/Salem/Yoshino. Are they at least decent? I wasn't really considering Salem, because it's so similar to Des Moines, which I'm about to get anyway

 

All decent ships

U can ge the Des Moines 10km radar, same ship as Salem from the normal tech tree (The Salem has less range on its radar 8.5km but it does have a better heal ) 

Moskva.. Decent ship but no wow factor in hugging the island corners

Yoshino..  I dont have the Mega Zao myself, saving my coal in case something else turns up so.. naa..

 

I´d go for the Thunderer before it disappears 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,047 battles
7 hours ago, Jowiszowy said:

Or maybe should I save my steel and grind coal for another few months instead?

I might suggest getting one of the 'about to be removed' ships, but don't use your steel to get it; get a bit more coal, as steel is too valuable to waste (perhaps unless you don't have enough coal on the very last day before one of the discontinued ships is removed).

 

As mentioned elsewhere, T9s are 'full' premiums and are better earners, whilst the T10s give you access to certain events etc. (such as Gold Ranked, if you care about that), while still being pretty decent earners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[2DIE]
Players
8 posts
3,458 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

I might suggest getting one of the 'about to be removed' ships, but don't use your steel to get it; get a bit more coal, as steel is too valuable to waste (perhaps unless you don't have enough coal on the very last day before one of the discontinued ships is removed).

 

As mentioned elsewhere, T9s are 'full' premiums and are better earners, whilst the T10s give you access to certain events etc. (such as Gold Ranked, if you care about that), while still being pretty decent earners.

I'll have my first T10 in a few days, so I assume access to ranked isn't going to be a huge problem.

I see that Thunderer and Georgia will be gone sooon, are there other such ships too?
And it really is a bummer that Flint is getting nerfed because of captain skills, I was really hyped up for her

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,047 battles
2 hours ago, Jowiszowy said:

I see that Thunderer and Georgia will be gone sooon, are there other such ships too?

Smaland is the other one that springs to mind (although she's Free XP - a lot of it!), but there might be something else that I've forgotten...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,083 posts
7,363 battles
4 hours ago, Jowiszowy said:

I'll have my first T10 in a few days, so I assume access to ranked isn't going to be a huge problem.

I see that Thunderer and Georgia will be gone sooon, are there other such ships too?
And it really is a bummer that Flint is getting nerfed because of captain skills, I was really hyped up for her

 

 

Ships that will be taken out

 

Thunderer and Georgia for coal

Smaland and Alaska for Free XP

Massachussets for doubloons / cash

 

In the slightly more distant future: Somers (for steel).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
219 posts
1,737 battles
12 hours ago, Stormhawk_V said:

And this right here is the reason why we had the ship in the armory for this long in the first place. People criminally misplaying it.

Yes, AP is great. I delete the cruisers consistenly with it. I only really use HE on bow on battleships, DDs or the angled targets with good armor on low HP. As far as I noticed HE is really the most effective early on in the game to set a few perma fires. Once the game approaches its end you would be a terrible player not to use the AP instead most of the time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,005 posts
6,007 battles

You shouldn’t be playing the georgia or thunderer as a noob with no t10 experience, but doesnt mean you shouldnt get them for later.

 

Georgia is a fun ship but a bit difficult to play well unless you are a good player. Also needs at least a 14 pt captain to do a secondary build. Thunderer is dead easy to play decently but requires some skill to excel at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
43 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

You shouldn’t be playing the georgia or thunderer as a noob with no t10 experience

I'm a huge proponent of this advice but to be fair Thunderer is very much the exception. About 30 games in T4 is all the experience you need to do reasonably well in that thing. Load HE, sail along the J-line for a point and click adventure. It's the most played ship in the game, thousands of satisfied customers can't be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Of the currently available coal ships I say Georgia or Pommern for an interesting T9 battleship for two reasons :
- There aren't many interesting T9 battleships
- T9 premiums have real premium economy (farm credits)
I'd say Georgia because that's getting removed, you'd have plenty of time for Pommern if you want both.

Thunderer on the other hand does not have real premium economy

Every time you play it there's 14 other people in your match playing it

There's many good/interesting T10 battleship alternatives

At anything other than maximum range it's a crappy ohio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
56 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

Thunderer is dead easy to play decently but requires some skill to excel at.

 

13 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I'm a huge proponent of this advice but to be fair Thunderer is very much the exception. About 30 games in T4 is all the experience you need to do reasonably well in that thing. Load HE, sail along the J-line for a point and click adventure. It's the most played ship in the game, thousands of satisfied customers can't be wrong. 

 

If you use damage as a measurement, then yes. However, most of those maxrange HE slingers have the worst WR in Thunderer. They deal like 50-80% more damage, but manage to lose more games...

I think its highly likely for someone with no TX experience to fall into the same trap. Because overextending with Thunderer will result in getting blapped. Thats why i really dont like to recommend Thunderer, its way too easy to take the convenient way, spamming HE for 100k damage from maxrange and getting 40% WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SPUDS]
Players
413 posts
12,439 battles

Get Thunderer, its the most broken Ship of them and it will get removed. There are also no big changes on the horizon for it. 

 

And for everyone else, does it matter that he is new in T10? Randoms are a lost cause anyways with WGs whole direction of the game. 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts

@OP In general I would say save steel, HOWEVER I suggest you get Thunderer before she is removed, she is a surprisingly flexible ship and quite accurate guns for a BB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
3,513 posts
27,685 battles

*sigh*.... here we go again:

 

NONE! plz first off stay on tier like 3-5 and learn the game. in any higher tier game atm u're sadly more like a burden to ur team. on the other hand lol, no one cares/there's plenty of such folks around. nevertheless, in ur own interest i only can endorse to stay on lowers 1st off.

higher tier play might not be that njoyable while being farmed all the time. take ur time to progress and in the end my bet is u'll have more fun/less frustration and an overall quicker progression.

 

so might get one ship which is shortly to be removed and keep it in ur port until u kinda master a similar techtree ship u grinded out the "grindy" way.

 

2 cts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×