You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Sinksalot

Most Noob Friendly Class + Tier

27 comments in this topic

Players
617 posts
4,093 battles

Hi guys,

I've been away from this game for a bit, never really indulged much in random battles anyway and so I'm looking for a bit of insight into what you guys might recommend as a class and tier to cut ones teeth into this game. I have some experience so not a completely hopeless and that would be limited to the very basics such as being reasonably accurate at leading shots, a reasonable insight into what each class should be doing for it's role and knowing where to hit ships citadels and using correct ammo types. So far as map positioning goes, understanding why I should go to one place and not another, why I shouldn't this and that, I really don't have a clue.

So I'd like a tier where I'll avoid a completely noob environment where I might wrongly learn to play and pick up really bad habits and at least play a somewhat applicable ship to higher tiers so what I do learn will actually be beneficial to make a much painless transition to higher tiers when I finally feel I'm knowledgeable enough. I've a decent selection of ships and so what you might recommend I'll possibly have or at least already unlocked.

Thanks.

Edit- Oh and btw, not CV's. That would just be an airplane game attacking ships and I'm looking for the good old fashioned art of shooting ships with guns from another ship, or torpedoes etc.

• Cool 1

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
2 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

So I'd like a tier where I'll avoid a completely noob environment where I might wrongly learn to play and pick up really bad habits

Ill give you something to start: stop shooting your own teammates. I think that qualifies as a "bad habit"

• Funny 2

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
28 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

So I'd like a tier where I'll avoid a completely noob environment where I might wrongly learn to play and pick up really bad habits

T5/T6/T7 is where you actually learn something, T8 is where you start facing people you probably don't want to face yet.
Couple of solid tech tree ships at those tiers
T5 Konigsberg
T6 Budyonny
T7 Gadjah Mada (probably wait with that, destroyers aren't very new player friendly)
T7 Fiji (maybe also wait, not an easy ship to play)
T7 Sinop

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
825 posts
3,938 battles

Stick to T5 and probably BBs. They are the most forgiving, and at T5 you get a nice mix of T4 (very forgiving) and T7 (much less so) games.

[SM0KE]
Players
7,547 posts
16,172 battles
58 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

So I'd like a tier where I'll avoid a completely noob environment

My (mediocre player) tips/pointers:

• Go for at least T5 (assuming you have 'good enough' captains available i.e. 10 points+); below that you'll face the T4 CV plague, which'll mean wasting a lot of time being plane fodder, and most missions start at T5.
  • If you haven't already, clear out your high tier snowflakes (at least) in Coop; whilst starting again is laudable, you don't want to waste these annual rewards. Try and do at least the new Strasbourg time-limited campaign too - a freebie T7 premium BB is not to be sniffed at.
  • Play all the classes (yes, even CVs a bit); it'll remind you what everything can/can't do, and what they're trying to do. It'll make life easier in whatever favourite class you settle on.
  • Play Ops (well, maybe not Newport); they're an efficient way to remind yourself about aiming, angling, and other stuff like that. Plus, you're doing it in an environment that requires a bit more thought than Coop.
  • As to specific ship suggestions: the US and IJN (all classes) are a good place to start, as they are the 'standard' nations that are the freest from weird gimmicks and whatnot (perhaps avoid the new US fatties, unless you want to 'better contemplate the infinite' as it were).
  • After that, it depends a bit on which class(es) you like; the KM DDs are worthwhile for the smoke/hydro combination, and the RN DDs are good too. Russian cruisers are a worthwhile pick, with their railguns and radar (T8+). KM BBs are fun if you like brawling, and the French are quite interesting too. Everyone has their favourite though, so maybe muck about with as many as you can (everything up to T6 is pretty cheap to research/buy, if you don't have them already).
  • Most usefully, try and division with some experienced players, and ideally use voice comms - they'll be able to point out errors and make suggestions that should speed up your re-acquisition of skills etc.
  • Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,235 battles

French and German Battleships, old chap. Speed, armour, guns. No glaring flaws - the only limit, really, is the Captain.  The German ones, especially - everything just works. You even get things like torpedoes and hydro, and there are lots of fun Premiums and Armory ships in both lines. Start at Tier VI in both lines. 

If you must play cruisers, take the US CL line. New York is a US Battleship, but the sentiment of the song - if I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere - applies to these ships. Lots of guns but hard limits and tough lessons to learn about positioning, cover, and angling which will serve you in good stead for other lines. Do not progress past Tier VIII until you own, and enjoy, all the iterations of the Omaha and the Brooklyn. 

Destroyers? British ones. Wiggle. Dodge. Hide. WG is trying its hardest to make DD play not fun, but these are still fun. 

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,977 posts
21,241 battles

I'd recommend the tiers III - V as those tiers have still some of the "magic" of olden days (minus the CVs).

Tier III is still faster paced, where a patient and observant player can do really well, while tiers 4 and 5 are the most fun, forgiving and educational. Unless you have the misfortune to run into a TV-VI seal clubber division with CVs.

The educational part is divided in 2 sections: observing and avoiding the mistakes other players do, and more importantly when you face TVII, where you learn very quickly that things you got away with in TV will get you killed.

Recommend lines at those tiers: 

US DDs - Clemson and Farragut are very good 

IJN BB - Myogi is a meh-boat but Kongo is still good (maintain angling, use superior speed)

KM BBs - Konig and Kaiser are good ships at those tiers, although a bit boring to play

US  CLs - Phoenix and Omaha are fast and nimble floating citadels that are massively fun if you keep a keen eye on enemy BBs and use their reload between shots to maneuver. The tier 3 St. Luis is still a good ship and even after all these years didn't lose anything of its charme.

• Cool 1

Players
795 posts
29,815 battles

Low Tier (Tier 1-4): You have protected Matchmaking and therefore can only meet Ships that are one Tier higher unless you division with a higher Tier Ship (Fail Division).

You will rarely see Veteran Players and the Tactics are not that Important down here. This is a good Tier to start.

Mid Tier (Tier 5-7): You have no longer protected Matchmaking and you can run into Veteran Players but you also meet alot of Players that are also quite new.

Here you can see how well your Tactics work and how good you understand the different Ships/Classes of Ships.

This is a good Tier to train yourself for High Tier.

US Battleships can teach you very well how to play Battleships

Cruisers: You can´t do much wrong with US or Japanese Cruisers. You can use the other Nations as well. Only British Cruisers are not that Beginner friendly.

Destroyers: German and British Destroyers are quite nice, but you can also learn with Us, Russian or Japanese Destroyers.

Just make sure you have last Stand and when you reach Mid Tier you should have Concealment Expert as Captain Skills

[TACHA]
Players
1,595 posts
18,284 battles

Tier 3 St Louis - fun to play, teaches you how to angle and position - very forgiving so you are unlikely to die when you make a mistake. Disadvantage is that it is slow but this stops you racing ahead too quickly! 

[RODS]
Players
1,969 posts
7,828 battles

Tier 5-6 BB:s are probably the easiest to play

Tier 5 Kongo, König, Iron Duke

Tier 6 Fuso, Bayern, Normandie

[NED]
Players
2,201 posts
8,526 battles

Tier 4-5 any higher and your going up against tier 8 those ships are significantly stronger.

Players
1,069 posts
9,310 battles

Yes, play tiers 4 and 5. The three-man König, Kuma, Clemson divisions are just newbies for sure and if you see any ships with silly names like Kamikaze or Vampire, don't worry. They're just meme ships driven by 3-point captains. Two CVs you say? Don't worry, your side has two carriers too! It's all good fun, really, you'll see!

Sarcasm off: avoid low tiers like the plague. Personally,  I only play 9 and 10 if I can help it.

Players
966 posts
6,026 battles

tier 5/6/7 are peak warships.

battleships being the easiest class.

below that the ships are poor, above that you get the broken mess of t10.

Players
617 posts
4,093 battles

Thanks guys,

I totally get what you're saying and in ways this all makes every tier unappealing to play lol!. Lower tiers are weak to seal clubbing and play a bit differently perhaps to how the game plays at higher tiers which is bad for me to learn. Mid tiers lose the +1 tier MM and instead have to face +2 tier ships. Higher tiers are well, higher tiers full of expert players that know this game inside out from playing it over and over so that's gonna be rough too... basically no tier is good for a noob to learn?

Ok, but from all that... the general advice is to go with BB's, this is good, I can work with that and to maybe stick around T4-T7, fine. 

Would you guys think that maybe playing a T4 BB would be sensible since well, it's both a BB and is the highest lower tier(if that makes sense) featuring the +1 tier MM? Of those T4 BB's, which one stands out as offering something noob forgiving, such as being a bit tanky, reasonable gun performance and maybe a little bit of AA to make a Hosho focus some other BB first?

Clan Test Coordinator
391 posts
19,794 battles

-snip-

Would you guys think that maybe playing a T4 BB would be sensible since well, it's both a BB and come with +1 tier MM at worst? Of those T4 BB's, which one stands out as offering something noob forgiving, such as being a bit tanky, reasonable gun performance and maybe a little bit of AA to make a Hosho focus some other BB first?

There kinda is no AA in T4. Playing a BB in T4 more or less teach you how to try to interact with CV's. "Reasonable" gun performance is found in RU BBs.

Players
1,039 posts
6,089 battles

For BBs I recommend the USN and Japanese lines. Generally quite strong boats that teach you the fundamentals of BB play, but not particularly challenging to sail. IMO Russian and French BBs are more difficult to play, for very different reasons. Russian boats require thorough knowledge of angling/armor and positioning because of weak broadsides and short range, and French BBs require good situational and map awareness to be played well due to their role as flanking BBs and their weak armor and bad guns (i.e. you have to strike a balance between getting close in order to hit anything and not getting focused and HE spammed to death because of crap armor). While RN BBs can be easy, do not recommend them for learning the game, as they can be played decently without understanding anything about shell choice or aiming (due to mindless HE spam).

German BBs I am not experienced with, but I don't recommend for the same reason as RN BBs. They appear to teach bad lessons, as noob German BB players sail around broadside due to their turtleback. This is a very bad lesson for high tier gameplay.

As for tier, I recommend tier 5-6. You could do worse than the Texas if you're willing to fork over some bucks, as it can at least defend itself against bad CV players due to ridonkulous levels of short range AA, so you will at least not be the juiciest target on the map. Tier 7 is to be avoided due to badly broken matchmaking right now :(.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
4,112 posts
23,043 battles
12 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Would you guys think that maybe playing a T4 BB would be sensible since well, it's both a BB and is the highest lower tier(if that makes sense) featuring the +1 tier MM? Of those T4 BB's, which one stands out as offering something noob forgiving, such as being a bit tanky, reasonable gun performance and maybe a little bit of AA to make a Hosho focus some other BB first?

Probably the Kaiser in my opinion

[UNNF]
Players
277 posts
18,924 battles
3 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Thanks guys,

I totally get what you're saying and in ways this all makes every tier unappealing to play lol!. Lower tiers are weak to seal clubbing and play a bit differently perhaps to how the game plays at higher tiers which is bad for me to learn. Mid tiers lose the +1 tier MM and instead have to face +2 tier ships. Higher tiers are well, higher tiers full of expert players that know this game inside out from playing it over and over so that's gonna be rough too... basically no tier is good for a noob to learn?

Would you guys think that maybe playing a T4 BB would be sensible since well, it's both a BB and come with +1 tier MM at worst? Of those T4 BB's, which one stands out as offering something noob forgiving, such as being a bit tanky, reasonable gun performance and maybe a little bit of AA to make a Hosho focus some other BB first?

High level tiers full of expert players you say :cap_old: Like the Thunderer in tier 10 yesterday with 1000 battles of total cruising around :cap_hmm:  

In theory they should be full of ( not expert ), but more experienced players in reality - No. 

Yes I'm an old fart. Join old farts gamers on Facebook :) - Meme by  killernemo :) Memedroid

You already have more than 3000 battles , so you should know the basics by now. Tier 4 is not a bad place to start and Battleships are the more forgiving and tolerant to mistakes. Get Kaiser ( strong German BB with very good AA for tier 4, so Hosho will think twice before going after you ) . Tier 5 - 7 is also good, many strong Battleships in this tiers. Get the German and Russian BBs first as they are very tough cookies :cap_cool: That should be a good start for you. Good luck !

Players
1,995 posts
10,850 battles
16 ore fa, Sir_Sinksalot ha scritto:

Hi guys,

I've been away from this game for a bit, never really indulged much in random battles anyway and so I'm looking for a bit of insight into what you guys might recommend as a class and tier to cut ones teeth into this game. I have some experience so not a completely hopeless and that would be limited to the very basics such as being reasonably accurate at leading shots, a reasonable insight into what each class should be doing for it's role and knowing where to hit ships citadels and using correct ammo types. So far as map positioning goes, understanding why I should go to one place and not another, why I shouldn't this and that, I really don't have a clue.

So I'd like a tier where I'll avoid a completely noob environment where I might wrongly learn to play and pick up really bad habits and at least play a somewhat applicable ship to higher tiers so what I do learn will actually be beneficial to make a much painless transition to higher tiers when I finally feel I'm knowledgeable enough. I've a decent selection of ships and so what you might recommend I'll possibly have or at least already unlocked.

Thanks.

Edit- Oh and btw, not CV's. That would just be an airplane game attacking ships and I'm looking for the good old fashioned art of shooting ships with guns from another ship, or torpedoes etc.

carriers

[SPURD]
Players
924 posts
7,500 battles

Kongo! Best low tier BB because it has an engine. The following death pagoda is pretty funny too and the line culminates with a good ship.

Cruiserwise I hated everything but KM and USCL. DD wise they're all more or less fun T4-6

Players
1,039 posts
6,089 battles
25 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Kongo! Best low tier BB because it has an engine. The following death pagoda is pretty funny too and the line culminates with a good ship.

Cruiserwise I hated everything but KM and USCL. DD wise they're all more or less fun T4-6

Kongo is good, as is the whole ijn bb line. The only one I disliked was Nagato due to firing angles and fragility, but it’s nit a bad ship. Kongo, Amagi, Izumo and Yamato are all very strong.