Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ocsimano18

My Kure Dockyard Ship

23 comments in this topic

Players
2,436 posts
9,587 battles

Cost: ~35,000 doubloons

Stage: Hull assembled

Spoiler

047611FF-118A-4445-B131-6C0F9772AAF6.jpeg

Can you guess the ship?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BIF]
Players
526 posts
6,619 battles
9 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Can you guess the ship?

Kure dockyard is a big hint :) What scale and manufacturer ?

Players
7,659 posts
26 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Yamato.

The diagram is a dead giveaway. I assume OP left it there as another clue.

[D3V1L]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
201 posts

where are the blue neons on those 35K doubs??!!

Players
2,436 posts
9,587 battles
10 hours ago, K82J said:

Kure dockyard is a big hint :) What scale and manufacturer ?

Hasegawa 1:450

9 hours ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Yamato.

Bingo!

9 hours ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

The diagram is a dead giveaway. I assume OP left it there as another clue.

Yep.

9 hours ago, Thorsvald said:

where are the blue neons on those 35K doubs??!!

Phew, I missed that. :fish_nerv:

• Cool 2

[NORAY]
Players
325 posts
6,541 battles
39 minutos antes, Ocsimano18 dijo:

Hasegawa

Im new in this. I have seen a Shima from Hasegawa... are they products good?

Players
2,436 posts
9,587 battles
16 minutes ago, Bender76048k said:

Im new in this. I have seen a Shima from Hasegawa... are they products good?

I'm also new to this. I chose it over Tamiya, because of much less parts (282 vs. 1500) and better pricing. I found the quality of the plastic parts excellent, they fit together nicely. Also the assembly manual is superb. I bought the recommended paints and they look more real than the ones suggested by Tamiya.

• Cool 2

[NORAY]
Players
325 posts
6,541 battles
56 minutos antes, Ocsimano18 dijo:

I'm also new to this. I chose it over Tamiya, because of much less parts (282 vs. 1500) and better pricing. I found the quality of the plastic parts excellent, they fit together nicely. Also the assembly manual is superb. I bought the recommended paints and they look more real than the ones suggested by Tamiya.

Thanks so much!

[H_FAN]
Players
2,890 posts
50,284 battles
9 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Hasegawa 1:450

Bingo!

Yep.

Phew, I missed that. :fish_nerv:

8 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Welcome to the kit world, I have built at least 200 Model kits, approx 125 after 1988 when I took a more serious approach nearly all boats.

If it is the kit I am famliar with from Hasegawa it is probably a reissue from 70s or so. They had some in the 1:450 scale but most companies today which issue new ship kits are in the 1:700 or for the large kits 1:350.

It is often quite large not enterily logical pricing for the newbie.

But a few tips:

Ship that are a lot cheaper are often reissues from old tooling, the waterline series started I think in the 70,s where the IJN and some other ships were divided between Aoshima (generally the worst), Fujimi, Hasegawa and Tamiya (best generally). Now after then some new releases most have been retooled with new far higher standard during the last 20 years or so. I discount the newbie kits and deformed Chibu Maru etc because I do not care abou them.

The new kits might be easily 3x expensive. But they have generally far sharper tooling, finer details, and are often sold with photo etch etc which make them even more expensive + that  it apart from these 4 exist far more manufacturers and often limited runs with special details. I have several Fuso and Nagao/mutsu kits from various years in their service before rebuild and adding of AA mounts etc, f.e. Fuso in say 42 and final 44 config. 

Now I have stocked up at least 150 kits but I sadly do not have had time to build much of this newer generation incl a few of the 1:350 but most are 1:700. I started already in the 90,s to order kits from  Japan as there are some that are difficult to find elsewhere + more expensive if ordered in Europe.

Well this can be far longer, if you want to know more I might be able to answer  , but I only build IJN.

• Cool 4

[BIF]
Players
526 posts
6,619 battles

Here is a modeler called Ebroin painting his Yamato in WoWs camo. He is building an awesomely detailed Tirpitz too.

• Cool 2

[H_FAN]
Players
2,890 posts
50,284 battles
18 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

We mostly had.. Revell kits...

The old Missouri from the 60s in scale fit to box and the Blucher in 1:720 yes, and some other existed Of their newer kits Emden fe in 1:350 I have no experience with. Many German WW1 ships have arrived and some RN WW1 too a neglected subject previuously. I have Kongo in WW1 config. + Mikasa ofc. from various manufacturers. Revell was at hand in Sweden too together with all the Airfix 1:600 models most from the 60,s, of which I have built most some 2 times but they do not live up to any serious standard today and it is easier to build waterline models even though many of the 1:700 are delivered with underwater part today (often sold as special) variant.

If you are really after difficult and rare subjects there are the resin models also but i have abstained from those though I have a few like 18 class and a few others, have not tried to build yet. They are expensive.

Perhaps Hellers large 1:400 is also remembered by some. Railings in plastic.......

• Cool 1

Players
7,659 posts
36 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

The old Missouri from the 60s in scale fit to box and the Blucher in 1:720 yes, and some other existed Of their newer kits Emden fe in 1:350 I have no experience with. Many German WW1 ships have arrived and some RN WW1 too a neglected subject previuously. I have Kongo in WW1 config. + Mikasa ofc. from various manufacturers. Revell was at hand in Sweden too together with all the Airfix 1:600 models most from the 60,s, of which I have built most some 2 times but they do not live up to any serious standard today and it is easier to build waterline models even though many of the 1:700 are delivered with underwater part today (often sold as special) variant.

If you are really after difficult and rare subjects there are the resin models also but i have abstained from those though I have a few like 18 class and a few others, have not tried to build yet. They are expensive.

Perhaps Hellers large 1:400 is also remembered by some. Railings in plastic.......

I recall Hellers.. but at the time I was more into plane kits than ships. Probably Airfix kits, at least the paints etc. were either Airfix or Humbrol.

[LSCA]
Players
2,029 posts
15,005 battles
21 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Hide contents

Can you guess the ship?

plastic toy

Players
2,436 posts
9,587 battles
11 hours ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

We mostly had.. Revell kits...

I built an 1:700 Revell Musashi as a warm up. It cannot be compared quality wise. The parts just do not fit. Also small models are harder to assemble, as you cannot hold the parts easily in your hand. Also, you need keen eyes.

• Cool 1

Players
2,436 posts
9,587 battles
11 hours ago, Gnirf said:

Well this can be far longer, if you want to know more I might be able to answer  , but I only build IJN.

Have you built the Tamiya Yamato? I read that it takes 200 hours.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,890 posts
50,284 battles
25 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Have you built the Tamiya Yamato? I read that it takes 200 hours.

I do not doubt if you are methodic and depending on paint , photoetch etc. I have not built that. Mostly I built 4-5 1:700 kits at the same time , sometimes if I build CVs I prepare (or have prepared earlier) the aircraft separately.

I do not put that much effort in a kit as I build more for numbers, but the reason for 4-5 at a time is because I invested in Airbrush so it makes sense to paint several ships in same stage at the same time f.e. you paint all bottoms, decks at the same time and so on.

Likewise the aircraft fo a CV, spray the body colour (as Its IJN grey or green) and then paint the cowlings , windows, hinomarus (dotted by cut ink? pen). now there is often decals provided for the aircraft and flight deck markings though I generally mask and spray the flight deck.

Now when Wows and other duties have came through I spend more of my spare time with these rather than building kits, last 5 ships wre finished 5 years ago after say 7 years on the stocks!.

With a cat now residing in my space there is also more difficult to build and store between sessions. 

In the late 80;s I joined IPMS Swedish Branch for some years and bought some Scale Models International (or something like that) and Fine Scale Modeller magazines. Few however were about ships. I have  a good book Ship Models from Kits by David Griffith which i found useful. I could not build to this pro standard but you could pick up tips here and there.

Have you seen this website?

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewforum.php?f=17

[TRID]
Players
293 posts
5,630 battles

Players
2,436 posts
9,587 battles
[TRID]
Players
293 posts
5,630 battles
1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I could spend hours in places like that:cap_win::cap_like:

I've been to Munich a couple of times, loved the city and surrounding area (went on trips to Neuschwanstein Schloss, Oberammergau, King Ludwig's Linderhof palace), and of course enjoyed the different Bier Halle.

I hope to go back to this museum someday...when we can do things like that again.

Edit: Just looked up the link...I've been there! Clearly missed the Bismark model at the time :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this