You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SpinWeb

Losing Streaks

53 comments in this topic

[ERAGE]
Players
4 posts
1,961 battles

Can someone explain to me why when I reach 48 or 49% I start to get losing streaks that pull me back down to around 44%.  I then manage to get back to 48% and the losing streaks start again.

I have also noticed that when I get a new ship, the first 10 or so games are almost all winners and I may get to 60, 65%  after 25 games, and then I'm dragged down to 44% and the cycle begins.

I've attached an example from today.

Thanks

LOSE.jpg

[CATS]
Players
28,849 posts
15,115 battles

Because you play a Tier you are not ready for.

• your total winrate does not fluctuate like that
  • daily winrate fluctuations like that are a sign of consistency (my daily winrate fluctuates between 0% and 100%)
  • stay at Tier V and VI and you will impove your winrate
  • increase your Tier when you feel comfortable with the results you had before

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[UA-NF]
Players
482 posts
7,983 battles

In general, winrate fluctuates for everybody. May depend on time of the day. There are lot of divisions and CVs in evening hours. May depend on a day of the week, for some players WR goes up on weekends/holidays, for others it goes down. Depens a lot if there's clan battle or ranked season currently going. Cause many stronger players are busy there and not playing randoms. Depends if there's some ingame event going. When there's new ship line to grind you can have surplus of good players on certain tiers. And that's not counting personal factors.

In short, if you have a winstreak, doesn't mean you got better. And if you are on loss streak, doesn't mean your skill dropped. Personal rating is a better indicator of skill. If you win, but your PR doesn't go up, you are just getting lucky.

• Cool 1

Players
7,098 posts
11,515 battles
38 minutes ago, SpinWeb said:

Can someone explain to me

Certainly. These are your stats: https://wows-numbers.com/player/558520962,SpinWeb/

image.png.12408140b2cc976acec46a9e02393c3a.png

You deal more damage on T4 then you deal on T7, f.e.

Almost half of your T10 games are played with a BB. For that, 53k damage is extremly low. You simply dont conribute enough, the higher tier you play. Since you played *almost only T10 today - you lost a lot.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
5,412 posts
21,859 battles
39 minutes ago, SpinWeb said:

Can someone explain to me why when I reach 48 or 49% I start to get losing streaks that pull me back down to around 44%.  I then manage to get back to 48% and the losing streaks start again

and

3 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Certainly. These are your stats: https://wows-numbers.com/player/558520962,SpinWeb/

image.png.12408140b2cc976acec46a9e02393c3a.png

You deal more damage on T4 then you deal on T7, f.e.

Almost half of your T10 games are played with a BB. For that, 53k damage is extremly low. You simply dont conribute enough, the higher tier you play. Since you played only T10 today - you lost a lot.

Solution: please play more T10 and buy premium ships, -time and tons of all available flags to become a premium player and to get rewarded by WG with no more losing streaks... promised...

:cap_cool:

• Funny 4

Players
1,405 posts
4,527 battles
42 minutes ago, SpinWeb said:

Can someone explain to me why when I reach 48 or 49% I start to get losing streaks that pull me back down to around 44%.

Because, contrary to what many tell themselves so they don't cry themselves to sleep at night, the game gets progressively harder as you go up the tiers, you can clearly see with each tier your stats are worse than the tier before. When you go up a tier, your winrate takes a hit, this applies to everyone, you went up too many tiers too quickly so your winrate takes a hammering when you play those higher tiers, you skipped content, you skipped a big chunk of the learning process.

I hate to break it to you but 44% at T9 does not mean you're 6% worse than average, 44% means you're so useless that you, despite being only one ship on a team of twelve, manage to reduce the chances of winning for your team by 12% (the difference between 44 and 56)

I know this because last year my stats looked exactly like yours when I had about 1800 games, I took a step back, realized "I do not belong in T9/T10" and started fresh. I listened to someone, don't remember who, might have actually been Colonelpete. Play T5 until you're consistently one of the best players on your team, then move up to T6, repeat all the way up to T10.

I was 45% WR last year, now i've enjoyed around 60% solo WR at T9/T10 for the last one thousand games or so. Please take the advice, I didn't want to hear it either -I'm not that bad, I can learn in high tier- Yes you are, you really are that bad and no you can't, you can't learn at high tier, you'll just make the same mistakes over and over, getting your a$$ kicked repeatedly doesn't let you learn anything. I did what you do until I was tired of getting my shlt kicked in and listened to this advice, I've been enjoying the game far more since and my stats are going up at an almost humorous pace.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[SPURD]
Players
743 posts
5,652 battles

The Thunderer is not the most high impact battleship unless you use it's combination of mobility and excellent guns to kill priority targets. Blapping a DD and taking 40k damage in return from all the xxx_sniperbismark_420's is more value than farming 100k fire damage on battleships from the safety of the next map. Not that I know you're doing this, but many Thunderer drivers seem to. 

• Cool 5

Players
1,405 posts
4,527 battles
1 minute ago, Itwastuesday said:

xxx_sniperbismark_420

Spilled my coffee on that one, jerk. My wife has to clean this up you know

• Funny 6

Players
3,601 posts
14,275 battles

What you SHOULD be asking OP, is How can I improve? And will you, the forum help me?.

You'll find plenty willing and able. GL o7

• Cool 3

[BOATY]
Players
802 posts
15,089 battles
13 minutes ago, Bear__Necessities said:

What you SHOULD be asking OP, is How can I improve? And will you, the forum help me?.

You'll find plenty willing and able. GL o7

This is very true. On NA I had a bit of help and I was at like 45% with 7k games and since then have risen to 53% all because I asked for help and people gave it.

• Cool 2

Players
1,405 posts
4,527 battles

I like using radar as an example because it's simple and does a great job of explaining why this advice is so important.

-At T7 there's 3 radar ships with what, 8km range? 20 second duration? All 3 of them are premiums, they're pretty rare, and yet even one of them has incredible impact on T7 games.

-At T10 does anyone even know how many radar ships there are? 12km range short duration, 10km long duration, 12km long duration. There's often six radars on each team.

You played 50 tier 7 DD games, your stats indicate you never got used to playing around a single belfast, but you're stinking up five hundred T10 games dying in shima/halland trying to play around half a dozen nevsky's and Des Moines. It's like my daughter just started to walk and I ship her to the olympics to try and break Usain Bolt's record. She can try, bless her for trying, but she'll just stand there and eat her boogers.

I'm saying it like this because I truly wish someone was this blunt to me a year ago when I was ruining hundreds of T10 games in my Grozovoi, I literally ruined thousands of people's evening because I made them try to win impossible games. You suck, go back to T5, you'll enjoy T10 so much more if you don't skip tiers.

If you insist on playing top tier when you're not ready, please don't do it in a destroyer, you're punishing 11 other people on your team over and over again because your little boat decides who wins and you don't know how to play it. If you want to be a top tier potato, do it in a battleship, at least your team still has a chance that way.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[IBAN]
Players
163 posts
4,432 battles
3 hours ago, SpinWeb said:

I start to get losing streaks

If you lose more than 3 times in a row then take a break for a bit. This will;

1. Stop frustration from impacting your game play and fun factor

2. Allow you to try again when conditions in game might be more favourable to you

Consider checking your Captain and Ship builds to ensure they will give your play style the best opportunity to succeed. 

Try to get your Captains and Upgrades to max capacity ASAP (if not already) as these all add extra boons.

I don't really follow the 'break rule' as I find it interesting to see how long these losing streaks can go (my record is 16) but when I have trialled it it seemed to work .. at least for me.

• Cool 2

[LSCA]
Players
1,507 posts
12,275 battles
4 hours ago, SpinWeb said:

Can someone explain to me why when I reach 48 or 49% I start to get losing streaks that pull me back down to around 44%.  I then manage to get back to 48% and the losing streaks start again.

I have also noticed that when I get a new ship, the first 10 or so games are almost all winners and I may get to 60, 65%  after 25 games, and then I'm dragged down to 44% and the cycle begins.

Thanks

LOSE.jpg

i see same crap yesterday

Players
1,405 posts
4,527 battles

Players that are playing at an appropriate tier also get losing streaks because : Bad luck => Frustration => Bad play.

You fix this by taking a break or playing a ship that never fails to put a smile on your face. If you play enough you'll find at least one.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,738 posts
10,363 battles

@SpinWeb show us some replays so we can give useful and practical advice instead of generic answers. :) 

• Cool 2

Players
1,405 posts
4,527 battles

What a helpful community, honest good cop/bad cop advice and people reaching out offering to analyze replays. We're too good for this world.
Well not me, obviously. But everyone else, so sweet.

• Cool 1

Players
158 posts
19,505 battles

I took my time and checked your stats on wows-numbers.
Mate. The only ships where you have even remotely acceptable stats are all below tier 5.
You are absolutely under-performing. Don't blame WG or your teams. Read about the game, watch tutorials and streamers.
47k average damage on Vladivostok, for example. That's just really bad. I have nothing against you, but you are way over your head 
with playing high tier ships while attempting to skip mid tiers and buying/using a bunch of premium ships.

You played 18 battles with Sinop with 900 personal rating, and barely 50k damage average. Sinop is probably the most imbalanced ship at tier 7, or in top 3.
And with those 18 battles, you reached Vladivostok and are now at Sov.Soyuz? Come on.

Sit back, relax, spend some time learning and not spamming games mindlessly. Win rate and streaks come from your performance, 
not server or other players.

• Cool 1

Players
1,405 posts
4,527 battles

I'm jealous, wish I made a topic like this a year ago and got this many brutally honest answers. My potato days would have been over sooner :fish_cute_2:
You're one lucky potato. Good luck sir, and godspeed!

• Cool 2

[SWAMP]
Players
685 posts
3,674 battles
13 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Players that are playing at an appropriate tier also get losing streaks because : Bad luck => Frustration => Bad play.

You fix this by taking a break or playing a ship that never fails to put a smile on your face. If you play enough you'll find at least one.

Hosho for me.
If I'm getting bad luck with potatoes and I play worse as a consequence, I'm gonna repay those potatoes by clubbing their sorry asses for a game or two.

Hosho, relieving stress for me since the rework of 2019. :cap_win:

• Cool 1

[SH33P]
Players
214 posts
14,512 battles
13 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

@SpinWeb show us some replays so we can give useful and practical advice instead of generic answers. :) 

This

[SHAFT]
Players
11,702 posts
9,731 battles
54 minutes ago, SpinWeb said:

I think you focus too much on getting a cap (same with Halland). Check the DD lineup from the enemies, the Shima was spotted early on, so you can know the Öland was in your cap. You can spot him for your team, he doesnt even have smoke to disengage. If it gets too hot, smoke up.

Also, if there is radar on the enemy team, dont just sit in the cap. Ideally you want to sit close to an island, where you can hide behind in case something radars. If you sit in the open, and you get radared, you need to run away before you either can get into safety or run out of the radar zone. I didnt like you sitting there during the radar at all. that was 100% luck that you barely lost any health. You do that against decent players = it will hurt.

Spoiler

shot-21_01.06_19_21.57-0873.thumb.jpg.34027c37d3b91f03735e3fe231287859.jpg

you throw too many torps just randomly, which have a low chance to hit anything. At the time i took the screenshot, there was maybe one chance to hit the DM, if you threw the torps right away, but you missed that opportunity. You threw them anyway. in that situation, imagine you are the DM: Would you, while being spotted, sit with your Cruiser in the open? Essentially, thats what the DM would need to do in order for him to catch those torps. Slow down, or turn around - thats pretty much never gonna happen.

After you got the cap, you ran into B, which was pretty much a suicide. I dunno if you thought your Alsace's would win the fight up north against the 2 BBs? highly unlikely, Musashi will get huge damage on an Alsace regardless of angle, and they just died. I think you should have looked for an angle to torp the enemy BBs, just an alternative idea here, because you ran away from your flank for no reason imo.

Spoiler

shot-21_01.06_19_25.29-0626.thumb.jpg.159896a38d7e73f685eba420f69560b3.jpg

When you got towards B, there was the shima fighting your Asahio. Why not turn a bit south and use all guns? Also NEVER leave the island cover when the CV is literally ontop of you. The shima smoked up, he could farm you, the CV could easily strike you, 2 more ships could shoot you aswell.

You could have smoked up aswell, instead you kept going.

Spoiler

shot-21_01.06_19_30.17-0209.thumb.jpg.461163d60ca910b5ff732877f1aca5f9.jpg

The idea going on the flank to torp the BBs there was not bad. But you went way too close to them, so you got spotted when you came around the island. Why didnt you just turn away, atleast try to outrun the Thunderer?

Instead, you turn back in, and thats the deathsentence right there. Either take a safer approach so you cant get surprised, or go full balls in and rush him around the island (but thats not that great of an idea in a DD which has no smoke, as worst case scenario, you remain spotted and die)

First i thought, i didnt want to watch it, because in a win, there is often not much to say what should be done. But after watching the DD replays, i figured, maybe its worth it afterall:

Spoiler

shot-21_01.06_19_34.53-0389.thumb.jpg.0be4185a5fbf50473eee953d080cfd0b.jpg

Why run behind the island? There are basicly 2 T8 ships fighting you. What should they do worst case? Unless you show flat broadside, Monarch can hardly punish you. If at all, he might just shoot HE and you should win that one EASILY. Staying a bit more outside would have been a good choice, because you could have spanked the Hindenburg from there. What should he do when he is committed? Turn around? Just hold your fire in that case. When he turns, smack him with AP. Patience is necessary for good BB play.

Also, if you shoot Cruisers, just stick to AP. The Hindenburg wont mind if he loses a few k HP when you hit him with HE, but he does mind getting smacked with AP. Atleast against the Balti you switched back to AP and citadelled him, so that proves my point.

Spoiler

shot-21_01.06_19_35.43-0160.thumb.jpg.1be03dee528a6092bc94afd20237b62b.jpg

Still too passive, your teammates already steam ahead from behind, you keep going the wrong direction. There is nothing on that flank except 2 BBs, which cant hurt you much if you are angled. Angled meaning, you can just go bow on and it wont hurt much if at all. Monarch most likely uses HE, but it should takes minutes before he could kill you - a fight, which you would win anyway + you had more team backup. Imagine if your other side would lose the fight, because they were outnumbered.

• Cool 2

[TSSU]
Players
189 posts
21 hours ago, SpinWeb said:

Thanks

LOSE.jpg

Because you don't have premium account? :D My win rate is always 10% higher while under premium... just chance of being on better team i guess. 

• Funny 3

[SPURD]
Players
743 posts
5,652 battles
16 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I'm jealous, wish I made a topic like this a year ago and got this many brutally honest answers. My potato days would have been over sooner :fish_cute_2:
You're one lucky potato. Good luck sir, and godspeed!

I think I did, maybe on discord, but unfortunately patience can't be taught :fish_happy:

On topic : just in my short experiences of the Thunderer, I head for open waters as much as possible because then I can shoot at anything, draw fire I can dodge and if things get hairy I can go dark. Also that large butthole map is the worst and I steer away as far as possible from the west side of it, often times there's a ship or no ships there and you waste so much time driving around it. The gap between it and the central cliff is also a somewhat decent place to head for to get some kind of firing solutions.

Thinking about it, it would be so great if some good player could review the maps and mark some decent positions and routes in them for the sake of improving general levels of play.

• Cool 1