Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

[SOLVED] Can't watch replays any more

23 comments in this topic

Players
3,274 posts
23,754 battles

Hi,

of late, I can't watch replays any more because for some reason, my PC has started refusing to open those with any other program than Avidemux, which then promptly crashes. The filetype .wowsreplay seems set to that program as default instead of WoWs, no idea why. Even if I specifically select the WoWs .exe, it still tries to use Avidemux.

And it (viz the Windows 7 OS) also refuses to let the filetype be reset to a different standard program than Avidemux, for some reason.

If anybody has a fix for that, I'd be eternally grateful.

• Cool 1

Players
2,745 posts
24,559 battles

Same-ish here. 

The odd thing is, sometimes they work, somtimes not... drives me mad.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles

Make a shortcut for your wows.exe and drag the replay file ontop of it.

That should work.

Players
3,274 posts
23,754 battles
Vor 16 Minuten, DFens_666 sagte:

Make a shortcut for your wows.exe and drag the replay file ontop of it.

Nope, that just opens the WGC, which then fails to open the replay but just sits there.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
1 minute ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Nope, that just opens the WGC, which then fails to open the replay but just sits there.

I guess you had the WGC running already?

Ive been doing that for quite some time now.

- Start the WGC

- go to my replays folder and drag a replay file onto the shortcut i have in the replays folder.

Works perfectly

:cap_hmm:

Players
3,274 posts
23,754 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, DFens_666 sagte:

I guess you had the WGC running already?

Nope. If anything the process was running invisibly in the background.

But even if I shut the WGC process down in the taskmanager, dragging the file on the shortcut then just brings the WGC back up.

[RODS]
Players
1,962 posts
7,828 battles
2 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Hi,

of late, I can't watch replays any more because for some reason,

hmm..

And it (viz the Windows 7 OS)

Win 7.. 

also refuses to let the filetype be reset to a different standard program than Avidemux, for some reason.

If anybody has a fix for that, I'd be eternally grateful.

Sounds to me that u found the issue

• Boring 1

[THESO]
Players
5,139 posts

Start / Programs / Default Programs / Set Associations

[THESO]
Players
5,139 posts
1 minute ago, snadge666 said:

I have never been able to watch replays, always stuck on start screen.

Mods cause that. Don't know which one...

Players
3,274 posts
23,754 battles
Vor 52 Minuten, nambr9 sagte:

Start / Programs / Default Programs / Set Associations

Yeah as I said, that does not work. I can reset the association just fine and it keeps opening the replays with Avidemux anyway. It refuses to actually accept the reset. Next time opening that menu, it is back at Avidemux again.

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
44 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Are you trying to get hired by Wargaming player support?

But that's actually why it gets stuck, whenever I want to watch a replay, I uninstall my mods before even trying, I know replays don't work with mods enabled. I can't be bothered to find out which one either so I just uninstall and reinstall them all.

• Cool 1

Players
3,274 posts
23,754 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, NikolayKuznetsov sagte:

I know replays don't work with mods enabled.

Since when?

I have been having this issue only for maybe two, three patches now but before that, they played just fine with my mods installed.

(I mean quite apart from the fact the mods only could take effect if the client actually started and tried to play the replay, which - in my case - it does not.)

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
3 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Since when?

I have been having this issue only for maybe two, three patches now but before that, they played just fine with my mods installed.

Since two or three patches ago kek

[THESO]
Players
5,139 posts

Are you trying to get hired by Wargaming player support?

Why are you asking on forum then?

Go write a ticket on support page if you dont want my help...

Players
3,274 posts
23,754 battles
Vor 1 Minute, nambr9 sagte:

Why are you asking on forum then?

There was a time when there were actually knowledgeable people here.

Zitat

Go write a ticket on support page if you dont want my help...

I did. A minute after posting.

Don't have any expectations though.

[THESO]
Players
5,139 posts
1 minute ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

There was a time when there were actually knowledgeable people here.

I did. A minute after posting.

Don't have any expectations though.

See I might know how to fix your problem.

But I decided not to try to help you because of your shitty attitude.

Go edit your registry on your own.

Players
1,384 posts
22,121 battles

I also still use Windows 7 in the gaming machine and run Avidemux there from time to time but have always been careful not to make file associations when not needed. Was there a chance either you or someone else tried to "watch" the replay with Avidemux and failed, yet got the file extension hooked? Anyway, you could try setting it manually via Regedit as @nambr9 suggested. As for how to do it, follow the instructions indicated in this Stack Overflow thread. I've looked at my own registry and the value of the entry to edit looks like this (the italics are just to cover any path you may have):

"%myOwnPathToTheWOWSInstallationFolder%\WorldOfWarships.exe" "%1"

Salute.

P.S.: What I've ran into while checking if I had the same issue is that the replays from current game version don't allow me to quit them via Escape and Leave Battle, I had to open the Tasks Manager in order to kill the process.

• Cool 1

Players
3,274 posts
23,754 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, Estaca_de_Bares sagte:

It worked!

Turns out the path in the registry was still the one from my previous client installation for the EU client, which I uninstalled when they made the change that you could once again play different regional servers with the same client instance.

I hate Microsoft so so much. How they manage to achieve so little with so much money and all the ressources in the world will forever remain beyond my understanding.

[THESO]
Players
5,139 posts
7 hours ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

I also still use Windows 7 in the gaming machine and run Avidemux there from time to time but have always been careful not to make file associations when not needed. Was there a chance either you or someone else tried to "watch" the replay with Avidemux and failed, yet got the file extension hooked? Anyway, you could try setting it manually via Regedit as @nambr9 suggested. As for how to do it, follow the instructions indicated in this Stack Overflow thread. I've looked at my own registry and the value of the entry to edit looks like this (the italics are just to cover any path you may have):

"%myOwnPathToTheWOWSInstallationFolder%\WorldOfWarships.exe" "%1"

Salute.

P.S.: What I've ran into while checking if I had the same issue is that the replays from current game version don't allow me to quit them via Escape and Leave Battle, I had to open the Tasks Manager in order to kill the process.

Why did you do it?

Not even a thank you :) So much for his "eternal gratitude" :)

[ALYEN]
Players
2,978 posts
4,452 battles
5 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

It worked!

Turns out the path in the registry was still the one from my previous client installation for the EU client, which I uninstalled when they made the change that you could once again play different regional servers with the same client instance.

I hate Microsoft so so much. How they manage to achieve so little with so much money and all the ressources in the world will forever remain beyond my understanding.

Let's be honest, the replay feature is not really rock solid. There should be an option in WGC to associate the replays to WoWs client so they open properly. As any normal program has (the mentioned Avidemux I think has that too).

• Cool 1

Players
3,274 posts
23,754 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Hugh_Ruka sagte:

Let's be honest, the replay feature is not really rock solid.

Well yes, it is completely wonky. That does not let Microsoft off the hook though.

Zitat

There should be an option in WGC to associate the replays to WoWs client so they open properly.

There should be mandatory programming standards, set and enforced by the operating system and its manufacturer for such things.

By way of illustration, I have a similar issue with the VLC media player on this machine, which is my preferred video player and which I'd of course like to be associated with all video files. It isn't though, Windows refuses to let it be associated with .mkv and maybe other file types. Now here I was, thinking I could apply my new-found wisdom to the VLC issue in the same way. Turns out though the registry keys in question look totally different, besides there being some additional folders like HKCR\MKVFILES and HKCR\VLC.mkv, neither of which contain a simple file path which some innocent user could just simply and easily fix if it was broken by setting it manually to vlc.exe

But that seems really more and more off topic here so I'll stop now.

mkv1a.jpg

mkv1b.jpg

mkv1c.jpg

mkv1d.jpg

mkv2.jpg

Sign in to follow this