Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Axl06

How to get better at World Of Warships?

13 comments in this topic

[NAPOL]
Players
37 posts
637 battles

I know that there are plenty of videos on how one can get better at the game, but my question is a bit more specific. I have made a lot of rookie mistakes and have ended up with the following ships: Zara, Prinz Eugen, Atago, Queen Elizabeth, North Carolina, Gaede and Weser. As one can see this is a mess (considering I’m terrible at the game). My question is what to continue grinding and what to put on hold as well as what to do with high tier premiums that are too hard to play (for me that is)?

[CATS]
Players
28,818 posts
15,115 battles
  • play different lines from the beginning
  • then focus on Tier V to VI, maybe VII until you have 1000 matches
  • look what works and what does not
  • decide from there
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SHAFT]
Players
11,684 posts
9,730 battles

Go back to T3-6, any ships will do. You basicly didnt grind those tiers at all (in randoms that is) so you basicly missed everything that you should learn.

When you did grind T8 ships, you can try to play the T8 premiums aswell, hopefully with now better knowledge.

Normaly it would be easier to get a feel for the game in protected MM, but you went way past that already. Its only for 200 games. You have mostly bots, but atleast a few humans in there aswell. Also, you wont get bothered by CVs as much, if at all. So it might be less fun at times, but the longer you stay around T4 the more you can learn. Mistakes are punished way less than on higher tiers. Also your survivability is very low, and so is your damage, so i assume you overextend from the start and then you just die. If you die so early every time, you can hardly learn anything.

• Cool 2

Players
7,085 posts
11,512 battles
42 minutes ago, Axl06 said:

My question is what to continue grinding and what to put on hold as well as what to do with high tier premiums that are too hard to play (for me that is)?

Grinding / continuing grinding is the least you want to do now. Did you sell all other ships? big mistake aswell. Dont sell ships. This attitute of "oh I got the next higher ship, which is much better, so lets sell the old crrp (also I need the credits to buy the next ship)" is where the mess starts. You keep the ships, you earn the credits on them to buy the next ship - WITH all modules.

Now the most viable thing is to play the lowest ship you have and make credits there. Learn that ship, and the class, learn learn learn. That would be Queen E. Dont move away from it unless you have atleast a 55% WR on the ship and way above servers average damage.

Ontop: watch youtube, watch twitch. check the "how to play" and/or replay analysis of f.e. flamu. there you will see and get explanations of the mistakes people make in detail.

• Cool 2

[I-J-N]
Players
5,671 posts

Zara is a good ship (for a cruiser), North Carolina is a good BB, too. There's too ways you can look at this, either play the ships you have to their strengths, or try to play ships that cater to your best playstyle and approach to the game. While it is a good idea to play a lot of mid tiers (if for no other reason but the that seems to be the 'sweet spot' for the game mechanics), remember that the high tiers essentially have a different meta (inferior IMHO), so you will have to learn to master that quite separately from the mid tiers.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,395 posts
14,928 battles
35 minutes ago, Axl06 said:

I have made a lot of rookie mistakes and have ended up with the following ships: Zara, Prinz Eugen, Atago, Queen Elizabeth, North Carolina, Gaede and Weser.

My suggestions fwiw are similar to @ColonelPete's:

• Play some 'vanilla' examples of each of the classes, from the beginning, and take your time over it; US, and IJN are good places to start, as they were the first nations in the game, so their gameplay is pretty much free from weirdness.
  • I wouldn't blame you for getting to tier IV as quickly as possible though; the plague of T4 CVs is still a problem, and most T3s have an entirely torrid time against them. T4 isn't much better, to be honest, but that's the last tier with +1 MM, and it isn't a bad thing to be forced to focus on your anti-plane kung fu, even if it's frustrating. If you have a 10 point captain (or better) available, perhaps jump to T5; although you start to face +2 MM (hence the need for the captain), the threat of the T4 CVs lessens a bit, and you rarely face more than one T6 CV at once.
  • Once you're in the mid tiers, stay there for a bit, to practice against all the threats that get fiercer at high tiers, but are somewhat less powerful and/or frequent lower down; also, you want to try and gain as good an understanding as possible of what all the classes are up to, even if you end up focusing on a particular favourite (for example, after you've played a torp DD for a bit, you'll never drive your BBs in a straight line - at constant speed - again). Hydro turns up quite early (on cruisers), and the first DD gets it at T5; the first radar ships are a couple of T7 premiums; better to learn against them, where you're mostly dealing with small numbers, rather than at higher tier, where you may face - say - two or three radars, and all manner of powerful hydro, and all at the same time.
  • Concentrate on getting a few decent captains; as you go higher up the tiers, this becomes more important, as they do make a difference. Bear in mind that the (probably bad) captain rework is coming soon; although there is a lot wrong with it, it will give you a free captain respec, so you can reset any captains that you make a pig's ear of (for the duration of the respec). If you are unsure of what your captains should look like, in terms of build, ask on here (but expect different opinions in some cases).
  • When you've got your initial lines to T5-7(ish), perhaps apply some self-assessment: are you happy to go to higher tiers, or do you want to practice more at mid tiers first? If the latter, perhaps do some of the other lines, so avoiding boredom; Germans are worth a look, as are some of the RN lines (DDs especially), and maybe the Russian cruisers.
  • With regards to what to do with your existing higher tier ships: play T6 and T7 in Ops (perhaps avoiding Newport), and play the rest in Coop, until you're content that your skill-set has caught up. Atago is an excellent trainer for your IJN cruiser captains, and Eugen does something similar for the higher tier Germans; even the xp from Coop will make a small difference.
  • Try and find some experienced players to division with, ideally on voice comms - they can provide you with helpful real-time hints and tips.
  • Perhaps play Bronze Ranked: there are plenty of weak players in there already, and it's easier to keep track of what's going on with the small teams and small maps. Bow out, if you find it too painful though; I'd perhaps view it as a way of gently testing how your skills are coming on against more powerful ships, but fewer of them compared to Randoms...
  • Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,196 posts

@OP My advice is this...

First a side not - you can play a bit of Ops to get a feel for handling of a T6/7 ship you intend to use for learning (I suggest T7) practice some angling (it can be done in ops to a degree) as well as precision aiming to take out targets (ie how to devstrike a broadsiding enemy or punish a bowtanker by overmatch) then you can go back to randoms and start there...

Now Ncal prob isnt the best option to learn play due to the MM issues although she isnt a bad ship as such, I would suggest you grind IJN BBs by using basic camos and no flags (ok you can use money gain flags) up to the Nagato and then stay with her for a while say maybe 2-300 games in her or so, she is kinda the prototype BB, then you should grind the Russian cruiser line up to Schors and for DDs you might want to grind RN line up to the Jervis and do the same there, yes the T7 gets shafted by the T9 MM quite a lot but still its not really different then T6/8 situation...

After that is done you can decide which class you want to further first, in said class you should either continue the line you started or grind some other nation up to the T10 (dont use free XP unless its to unlock the upgraded modules on the ship) and then repeat with cruisers and DDs, after you have at least 3 T10s you can go up the CV line, german is as good as any only you will stay at T8 for longer instead of T7 as there is no T7 cv, after all this is done you should sit at about 3k matches or so and you can take it from there...

• Cool 2

Players
1,370 posts
4,516 battles
2 hours ago, Axl06 said:

My question is what to continue grinding

The answer is nothing, you grind nothing do what colonelpete said, anyone that went from being trash to being good will tell you thesame. This chart is my winrate, I was at 45% for literally years playing the game on and off because I did exactly what you did : Ploughed through a couple of lines in a matter of days and spammed high tier games where I was a useless punching bag and a burden to my team.

The only thing I achieved doing this was ruining two thousand T10 games where I did not belong. I was miserable because I was bad, everyone was outplaying me, my team was miserable because they had to carry me, they were mostly nice enough to not mention it. It's impossible to play around half a dozen long duration 12KM radars if you haven't learned how to deal with Belfast short duration short range radar at T7. You are not going to dodge Halland torps if you can't dodge visby torps, you will eat them and you will die. Because he took the time to learn to launch them and you did not take the time to learn to dodge them. You'll die, you'll suck and you'll be miserable.

Last summer I decided to switch things up, play a ton of different lines up to T7 to learn all about the ships, how they're played. You go from T5 to T6 once you feel like you're one of the better players on your team consistently at T5, you go from T6 to T7 when you feel you're consistently one of the best players in your team at T6 etc.

My winrate and all other stats took off like a rocketship, my solo winrate at T9/T10 has been around 60% for months, I'm a unicum kitakaze player, apparently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My only regret in world of warships is playing high tier too soon and too long. Don't do it, you'll end up a useless potato with 39% winrate, garbage player rating and ten thousand games played at T10 because you never learned the basics, you'll just make the same mistakes over and over.

You need to play all the ships and classes to be any good at anything, you can't be a good top tier BB captain if you've barely played destroyers, because you don't understand the ship that can wreck you. When you're playing north carolina you have no idea what a lightning might do to you, because you've never played one, you have no idea what a Fiji might do to you and how, because you've never played one, you have no idea why in gods name a Hindeburg wants your upper belt so badly, it's a cruiser, it should be terrified of you, it isn't, play one and you'll know why.

You're at a crossroads 600 games in, you're going up the lines way too fast, this is when you decide : Do I want to be a 42% WR 300PR 10K games potato or do I want good clans asking me to please join them and play clan battles with them.

I went from being called a potato to people randomly messaging me after I beat them senseless asking if I would please join. By doing basically what Colonelpete said you should do. Took me 6 months.

You're lucky, you're asking this question 600 games in, I asked it 2.000 games in, some people play 20.000 games and never ask themselves if maybe they suck because they skipped content.

WR.JPG

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
1,370 posts
4,516 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

I wouldn't blame you for getting to tier IV as quickly as possible though; the plague of T4 CVs

Also this, when I say git gud at T5 before going to T6, git gud at T6 before going to T7, I should have added, do not play T1/T2/T3/T4 - The game starts at T5 for everyone and it ends at T7 for you, for now anyway.

T1/T2/T3/T4 is world of warship's equivalent of an anus. All you'll see down there is

- Drunk people from great clans, divisioning up in meme-boats on discord to beat people up.
- Frustrated CV players spamming T4 CVs to beat up noobs without AA on their ship.
- Statpadders genociding bots after 21h to fluff stats.
- Bots after 21h.

You will learn nothing there because you'll either beat up bots or get beat up by CVs, by statpadders or by drunk discord divisions. Become the best T5 player you can be with many different ships, move up to T6, repeat before moving up to T7. The step up to T8 is the hardest.

Here's some wonderful low tier tech tree ships you could aim for, my personal favorites, still play them, I even dump millions of elite xp on them so I can play them with 19pt captains.

T5 CA : Konigsberg
T6 CA : Budyonny
T6 CA : Pensacola
T7 DD : Gadjah Mada
T7 CL : Fiji
T7 BB : Sinop

You'll probably want to keep some good low tier stuff anyway with the new ranked system being random tiers which change frequently.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
1,370 posts
4,516 battles
2 hours ago, Axl06 said:

I have made a lot of rookie mistakes and have ended up with the following ships: ...

North Carolina

Sir, this is blasphemy, North Carolina is a vessel for gentlemen of wealth and taste, it is the battleship of choice for connoisseurs of fine ships, you almost have to wear a fedora and drink wine when playing it. Getting it was most certainly not a mistake. Playing it this soon though, big mistake. If there's one battleship in the game that's hot garbage if you don't know what you're doing but finger-licking good if you do know what you're doing, it's north carolina.

So just a quick example of something you can't possibly know : North carolina has the slowest shells in the game but also the hardest hitting and most accurate shells in T8, this means the guns are by far the hardest to aim, but for someone with really good aim, NC guns are the best T8 guns. It has an all-or-nothing armor scheme, meaning if you show any kind of side, the ship is terrible, if your situational awareness is perfect, it's super tanky.

It can brawl better than most brawlers but only if you execute it perfectly by making use of its superior firing angles, something many don't even realize is a crucial thing on a ship - because all they look at is damage per minute and how thiccccc the armor is. You'll learn all this, about any and all ships, if you don't skip low tiers. When you go into a fight knowing a lot of about all of the ships, you'll have all the information to git gud.

indeed.png

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,395 posts
14,928 battles

BTW @Axl06 another reason to spend time at T5+ (as opposed to T4): you can do most of the missions; the current Strasbourg campaign is worth doing, as that a) gets you a T7 premium BB (for Narai, at the very least), and b) unlocks the second Xmas campaign that gives you a bunch of T5 silver ships (and 6 point captains and permaflage for same), which might save you some time and silver. You don't have long to complete this second campaign (assuming you don't buy Strasbourg up front), but several of the ships are pretty decent e.g. T-22, and Furry Taco...

Players
871 posts
5,798 battles
1 hour ago, Axl06 said:

I know that there are plenty of videos on how one can get better at the game, but my question is a bit more specific. I have made a lot of rookie mistakes and have ended up with the following ships: Zara, Prinz Eugen, Atago, Queen Elizabeth, North Carolina, Gaede and Weser. As one can see this is a mess (considering I’m terrible at the game). My question is what to continue grinding and what to put on hold as well as what to do with high tier premiums that are too hard to play (for me that is)?

My approach - because I went at it the same way; results so far: On NA (which I started the moment I decided to take a fresh approach), I am at a 52% WinRate, and on EU I have dragged my rate up from barely 45% to 47.7%.

1. Do not sell or shelve your current ships if you like playing them: Personally, I like Atago and Prinz Eugen. Just play them in Co-op. They are good ships to grind missions and campaigns (hello cruiser torp hits!), and generally fun to play.
  2. Make use of all game modes:
    1. Co-op: Bots are stupid, but IMHO there are a few positives about Co-op (and why I play it so much):
      1. It is generally a relaxed, fairly salt-free mode, easy to play even when you are NOT able to fully concentrate like you need in randoms (if you want to do well and improve).
      2. Bots CAN aim! So you can actually learn quite a bit about angling your ship properly in Co-op at a fairly quick pace.
      3. You can familiarize yourself with the ballistics of all your various ships.
      4. You can just play, fool around and get familiar with the sailing characteristics of your ship.
    2. Operations: Bots are smarter than in Co-op. Some operations (Op Newport, to a lesser degree Raptor Rescue) can be fairly tricky to do well in. 
      1. Ops are a great way to earn commander XP and grind credits. What I did (on EU) is get myself a 19 pt captain on Scharnhorst, and use Scharnhorst thereafter to earn Elite Commander XP that I can use to boost my other captains. Note that this can become quite grindy. You can use the T6 scenarios in the same way.
    3. Randoms: This is where you learn to play against other humans. It is the most challenging environment.
  3. Do NOT Free XP ANYTHING
    1. You need to get familiar with the ship. 
    2. It forces you to pace yourself, and prevents yourself from rushing up the Tech Tree (what you have currently identified as a problem).
    3. Playing stock ships, though often at a massive disadvantage compared to fully upgraded ships FORCES you to learn how to play that ship at a disadvantage, and it will punish every mistake you make. 
    4. Free XP can be used to get Premium ships for free (only 1 credit). Use it for that.
  4. Play across all lines
    1. Play across all lines for all nations until say T5 and or T6, and stay there for a while. It makes you learn each ship class and their characteristics, which can be of use both when playing them AND when facing them.
  5. .If you do not have the credits, you are not good enough
    1. I have taken this from Wookie_Legend (a Canadian streamer), and he has a point there. You should at least be good enough at a tier to consistently make money, and NOT be short of credits.
  6. Only advance if you fairly consistently rank in the top of your team
    1. This is a personal thing. For me, I will not consistently play a ship line a tier higher until I can fairly consistently rank in the top 5 of my team (and preferably top 3); i.e. I am playing a lot of T5 Kongo, am now playing a bit more T6 Fuso in Randoms, and even though I have T7 Nagato in port, I have yet to take out the latter in Randoms. 
  7. Watch streamers
    1. Personally I have found a number of streamers that I like, and it has provided me with a pleasant community (something social in these times) while also being able to learn from them. Many are quite helpful (showing builds, explaining why), and even deliberately and accidentally in running in game conversation/chat provide quite a few tips and tricks.
    2. Many streamers have their own style of play, something that can be very helpful as well.
    3. I know there are streamers out there that do game-reviews (aka you send in replays of your game, they provide analysis). This seems to be more of a North-American thing. I know Lord_Zath does it, I have seen InGeneral do it as well. They generally make sure (and their communities as well) that those sending in replays are NOT flamed in chat, and if they catch someone out, they generally come down on them like a ton of bricks. The few occasions where someone was made fun of (in chat or in stream) in a form of positive banter it was a long term participant who usually also is a (very) good player (60+ % WinRate, KOTS participant and so on). Mind you that on occasion their assessment might be harsh, but normally they will also explain WHY they say what they do. It helps - when submitting a replay - if you give pointers with the submission or in chat if there is anything you want to have looked at in particular.
  8. Self-assess
    1. When a game goes particularly bad or particularly good, try to assess what you did right and or wrong (and what others did right and or wrong).
  9. Use online resources
    1. Use the forum
    2. There is also the Help-Me discord, run by very good players (most of them unicums and tournament participants). They can give tips, tricks and builds, and also do video-analysis for you. With your submission explain your situation. Note that their comments can be rather direct. 
  10. Set yourself goals
    1. Try to work on certain things of your play in your game, like staying alive, reading the mini-map, capping / contesting caps, that kind of thing.
  11. LEARN TO READ THE MINI-MAP!!!

• Cool 1

Players
1,370 posts
4,516 battles

Also join a clan with people slightly better than yourself and play with them/learn from them. Clans with really good players won't play with you, clans with players on your level or worse won't teach you anything.

Also watch Flamu, ignore his "hear ye hear ye, wargaming killed a puppy, the end is nigh" rants, just watch how he plays, he's majestic at the game and at explaining what he's doing and why.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Sign in to follow this