You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nexio_

How do you actually play Georgia?

26 comments in this topic

[ATEEZ]
Players
47 posts
1,228 battles

I can't make the thing work for the life of me, and I pretty much have no other options when it comes to FXP and credit earning.. People just "just flank" but won't that just get me blapped in the broadside right away? I also get a lot of overpens which really frustrates me. Should I just hang back at like 15km and take opportunistic shots? I don't know.

Here's my cpt build so far: PT AR SI FP AFT

• Cool 1

Players
7,085 posts
11,512 battles
4 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

I pretty much have no other options when it comes to FXP and credit earning..

any low/mid tier ship makes you more credits when you do decent compared to a badly played T9.

5 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

People just "just flank" but won't that just get me blapped in the broadside right away? I also get a lot of overpens which really frustrates me. Should I just hang back at like 15km and take opportunistic shots? I don't know.

Upload a few replays, its impossible to judge what you are doing wrong and/or give advice based on just that 1 sentence of yours + your stats in Georgia. You might be too aggressive, you might be too passive, you might do either in the wrong situation, you might shoot the wrong targets, you might be in the wrong position - list goes on.

• Cool 1

Players
1,148 posts
23,750 battles

You play Georgia like you stole it. Full flanking speed, look for broadside targets and cruisers you overmatch. The guns are only 6, but they have good dispersion and penetration values and you will often get 20k+ salvos.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SHAFT]
Players
11,684 posts
9,730 battles

Regardless of which BB we talk about, you generally dont want to sit where all your other friendly BBs sit. That can be hard at times, because BB players are like sheep and they gather in one spot. Most of the time, everyone likes to go to the either mapborder, so they cant get flanked (in their minds). Then you can also just stay central, because you can shoot them in their sides.

Overextending early on will get you killed in any ship. You pretty much need to look for an opening, if the enemies are strong on your side, you wont get a chance to flank them. At best, you can move yourself into a position, where the enemies will show you broadside (preferably, because you are one and your teammates should be many) or they atleast show broadside to your teammates while they angle against you.

The bigger issue i see is, that you barely played T7 BBs, and then jumped into T9.

image.thumb.png.f1bffbdba2ddb47f384ad3f0bc876156.png

There is not much difference in damage between your T5-7 BBs and Georgia. While your midtier results are not bad, you kinda went out of your league with Georgia.

The easier option would probably be, to grind yourself a techtree T9 BB to get more games especially on T7-8. 1000 games is not much to be playing a T9 BB.

Or as @ForlornSailor said, upload some replays.

• Cool 4

[ATEEZ]
Players
47 posts
1,228 battles

34 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

There is not much difference in damage between your T5-7 BBs and Georgia. While your midtier results are not bad, you kinda went out of your league with Georgia.

The easier option would probably be, to grind yourself a techtree T9 BB to get more games especially on T7-8. 1000 games is not much to be playing a T9 BB.

Or as @ForlornSailor said, upload some replays.

You bring up a very good point about me jumping into T9 without any experience, that's probably why I just always potato in the Georgia.

I really don't like the idea of playing at T7, because the matchmaking is horrible there, always uptier to tier 9 where you are just target practice. Most of the time I just play Narai to grind through to T8. No idea if I'm suffering from some sort of bias, but my T7 matchmaking experience has been nothing but terrible and I actively dread playing it in randoms. T6 doesn't seem as bad, though.

As for T8, I'll see what I can do. It's either grinding the Soviet BBs to the Vladivostok or French BB to Richelieu currently, unless I change my mind. I hear many recommendations for USN BB, but the New Mexico and Colorado are the opposite of fun gameplay. I actually wouldn't mind them as much if the T6 and T7 matchmaking wasn't so brutal, but oh well. As for IJN, I was considering to grind them (first BB line I ever started!) They suit my criteria of accurate and big punchy guns, but I hear Nagato is tied with Colorado for being the most powercrept BB in the game so that's going to be fun I guess :Smile_hiding:

What line would *you* personally suggest for learning BB gameplay, though? I'd be down to suffer through the New Mexico and Colorado (operations are always a thing!), and I hear a lot of good things about the North Carolina being a decent all-round BB learning platform. 

I'll see if I can get some replays. :)

Players
7,085 posts
11,512 battles
49 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

No idea if I'm suffering from some sort of bias, but my T7 matchmaking experience has been nothing but terrible and I actively dread playing it in randoms.

No bias, its true. As T7, you will see T9 in atleast 3 out of 5 games, might be closer to 4 out of 5 at this point. An its true, as a T7 ship, you are more than crippled compared to T9 ships, goes for each and every class. I dont play T7 randoms anymore and I dont blame other for making the same decision.

So thats the state of the game right now, once again. You cant learn the game on mid tiers and when you skip that area, you are having trouble fitting in high tiers, which is no wonder. I dont know how WG thinks, this will play out, but they dont see a problem, apperently.

• Cool 4

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,509 posts
11,035 battles
54 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

Trump tried exactly this by telephone... :Smile_trollface:

You won the internet mister.

Also my favourite part from that call:

"You must be a good lawyer. You have a nice last name" :D

• Funny 3

[SHAFT]
Players
11,684 posts
9,730 battles
44 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

You bring up a very good point about me jumping into T9 without any experience, that's probably why I just always potato in the Georgia.

I really don't like the idea of playing at T7, because the matchmaking is horrible there, always uptier to tier 9 where you are just target practice. Most of the time I just play Narai to grind through to T8. No idea if I'm suffering from some sort of bias, but my T7 matchmaking experience has been nothing but terrible and I actively dread playing it in randoms. T6 doesn't seem as bad, though.

As for T8, I'll see what I can do. It's either grinding the Soviet BBs to the Vladivostok or French BB to Richelieu currently, unless I change my mind. I hear many recommendations for USN BB, but the New Mexico and Colorado are the opposite of fun gameplay. I actually wouldn't mind them as much if the T6 and T7 matchmaking wasn't so brutal, but oh well. As for IJN, I was considering to grind them (first BB line I ever started!) They suit my criteria of accurate and big punchy guns, but I hear Nagato is tied with Colorado for being the most powercrept BB in the game so that's going to be fun I guess :Smile_hiding:

What line would *you* personally suggest for learning BB gameplay, though? I'd be down to suffer through the New Mexico and Colorado (operations are always a thing!), and I hear a lot of good things about the North Carolina being a decent all-round BB learning platform. 

I'll see if I can get some replays. :)

Yes, i know, T7 MM is absolutely horrible these days (so its not only you^^). But you can still learn something from it, f.e. what T9 BBs can or should do. If you see T9 when playing T7, that also means you will probably be toptier when playing T9. The difference between lowtier and toptier is, that if you are lowtier, there really is not much pressure on you. You wont need to do much carrying, essentially you are competing against the enemy lowtier ships, and if they dont care much about anything, you can atleast play your own role.

As an anectode, i remember being in T7-9 MM, and our T7 Cruiser decided not to play because he was lowtier. The enemy T7 Cruiser decided to play, and focused our DD. Enemy T7 Cruiser helped win the game, ours helped lose the game. No ship is useless, but you need to find your role.

Contrary to that is being toptier. You need to perform well quite often and carry a lot. If 1 or more toptier ships fail to perform, its usually a steamroll loss. Thats what we can see on T10 these days, where a lot of bad players dont know how to perform, and they cause roflstomps all the time.

If you want to learn more how to play Georgia, you should be looking at other similar BBs lines, French would actually be a good idea for that. They tend to have a ton of games - but they are smaller in caliber. They require you to shoot broadsides to work well. Starting T8, they also get access to speedboost, which means they are also good flankers - same as Georgia. The difference is ofc the guns. Georgia has few, but large caliber ones. Georgia rewards good aim, while the french BBs are more like shotguns, especially Lyon and Alsace.

For learning BBs, id say pick Germans. They have advantages and disadvantages. You will survive longer in a bad situation than other BBs, so it might give you more opportunity to learn something. The best way to learn is, to reflect on your own game after it ended (or when you died).

Why did you die?

Did you survive but lose?

Could you have done something differently to not die or to not lose the game, like being too aggressive or too passive?

Question yourself when you didnt have a good game, regardless of win or loss.

Grinding in Operations does have pros and cons. Its easier ofc. But you also dont learn anything. So its really a double-edged sword, which can hurt your learning curve.

NC is a good BB, no doubt. But its actually not that easy to play. The armor is not the greatest. If you show too much side, you will get citadelled. Also the shells are really slow, i think they are the slowest in the game. So it requires a good lead or a good guess where the enemy ship will be when your shells land.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,821 posts
25,507 battles

@title :Smile_child:

91ca7860-7dc2-4bee-bfca-1e8c1c8d8009_tex

the rest for u got ngh folks 4 :Smile_great::Smile_bajan2:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,116 posts
5,687 battles
1 hour ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

Trump tried exactly this by telephone... :Smile_trollface:

And failed. :3

48 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

Also my favourite part from that call:

"You must be a good lawyer. You have a nice last name" :D

Well, I presume his logic is "If you have the Reichtangle as a lawyer, you should be great at overruling and subverting local democracies". :P

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[ATEEZ]
Players
47 posts
1,228 battles
29 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

For learning BBs, id say pick Germans. They have advantages and disadvantages. You will survive longer in a bad situation than other BBs, so it might give you more opportunity to learn something. The best way to learn is, to reflect on your own game after it ended (or when you died).

Why did you die?

Did you survive but lose?

Could you have done something differently to not die or to not lose the game, like being too aggressive or too passive?

Really? I heard Germans are one of the worst BB lines, about to get even worse with the captain rework due to one of the main gimmicks(secondaries) getting nuked to the ground. I hear they teach bad habits, but I guess after 1k games I definitely know that showing broadside gets you blapped like no other :) In fact, I have the Bismarck researched but never really played it yet due to credit shortages and me in general being satisfied stopping at T8.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,684 posts
9,730 battles
2 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

Really? I heard Germans are one of the worst BB lines, about to get even worse with the captain rework due to one of the main gimmicks(secondaries) getting nuked to the ground. I hear they teach bad habits, but I guess after 1k games I definitely know that showing broadside gets you blapped like no other :) In fact, I have the Bismarck researched but never really played it yet due to credit shortages and me in general being satisfied stopping at T8.

They work quite well if you build them for tanking. They have superior armor compared to all others.

Here is why i think, german BBs can teach new players something:

You can only learn so much from dying too fast, something which can happen in many other BBs. You make a misplay - you get punished (atleast on hightiers). With german BBs, you can get away with a misplay better, thus you actually get more gametime. I think thats a reason, why we see so many passive BBs on hightiers. They only learned, moving forward = dead BB. So their answer is, to sit in the back. Dying too early is basicly the same as camping in spawn the entire game: You dont learn how to read the game. If you take a more active role, you will understand when to be agressive or when its time to wait a moment.

Another positive thing for the germans is, they hardly care at all if they are uptiered. Their armor is so good, that they can withstand T8-9 ships. You could do the same with russian BBs, but i think they might teach bad habits instead. You only need to know: Dont show broadside, when playing russian BBs, and everything is fine. While at the same time, their guns tend to be superior to other BBs. Izmail could be a candidate to learn something. It has decent armor, but you only have 1 turret facing forward. So you kinda need to show some side in order to use all your guns. And Izmail can definetely get citadelled if it shows too much side. After Izmail, russian BBs can just be played laying anchor bow on and shoot stuff.

https://wows-numbers.com/de/player/541882298,Nexio_/

f.e. looking at your stats, you tend to do better in german BBs than with others. T5-7, you have more damage and better WR than in the other BBs. While the samplesize is rather small, i think its still an indication that they really are not that bad for a new player.

Back in the days, i started myself with german BBs, while many others i only played the lower tiers. Bayern, Gneisenau, Bismarck and GK were my first BBs for each tier. Bismarck and Missouri i almost got at the same time, and i still remember one of my first Missouri games. While i knew about overmatch in general (that it exists) i didnt know how that works on hightiers. So i shot a Montana in the bow with my Missouri, and dealt 0 damage. Lesson learned. On midtiers its different, as many BBs can overmatch one another, so its more a trading HP thing than outplaying the opponent. On hightiers, you get outplayed if you dont know how stuff like that works.

• Cool 2

[TF]
Players
99 posts
1,886 battles

That's an interesting topic, I do have similar issues in T9 and T10 because these tiers play quite differently from T6-8. Games are more static somehow, you can't afford to take much risks, you get punished easily by HE spam or focus fire if you overextend, overmatch by 457/460mm guns can cripple you, etc. And staying back will only get your team killed.

So I'll follow it, anything that applies to georgia will probably work on iowa and thundy also :Smile_veryhappy:

In my case, I enjoy more T8...

[ATEEZ]
Players
47 posts
1,228 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

https://wows-numbers.com/de/player/541882298,Nexio_/

f.e. looking at your stats, you tend to do better in german BBs than with others. T5-7, you have more damage and better WR than in the other BBs. While the samplesize is rather small, i think its still an indication that they really are not that bad for a new player.

Back in the days, i started myself with german BBs, while many others i only played the lower tiers. Bayern, Gneisenau, Bismarck and GK were my first BBs for each tier. Bismarck and Missouri i almost got at the same time, and i still remember one of my first Missouri games. While i knew about overmatch in general (that it exists) i didnt know how that works on hightiers. So i shot a Montana in the bow with my Missouri, and dealt 0 damage. Lesson learned. On midtiers its different, as many BBs can overmatch one another, so its more a trading HP thing than outplaying the opponent. On hightiers, you get outplayed if you dont know how stuff like that works.

thanks a lot for actually going in depth and looking at my stats to judge ! :) 

I'm actually now tempted to continue my German BBs and continue on with Bismarck and maybe just get to the GK by casually playing. I do remember having more fun with German BBs overall than any other BB line so here's that :) 

I'm concerned about how the captain rework will affect them. Won't their brawling potential(the entire point of the line afaik) be severely reduced with the secondary nerf coming from the rework? Or is the whole secondary nerf thing just blown out of proportion and isn't *that* bad? I know you really shouldn't rely on secondaries to actually do damage, they're just a nice bonus to set things on fire and shred DDs, but still. I did see you say that to just go with a tank build, but I think secondaries would be more fun when I get the opportunity to use them. Again, I understand that you shouldn't yolo to secondary range to just use them :) 

Players
7,085 posts
11,512 battles
37 minutes ago, meuhbat said:

So I'll follow it, anything that applies to georgia will probably work on iowa and thundy also :Smile_veryhappy:

Well, not necessarily. They have different strenghtes. Iowa is one of the few "classic" battleships, talking about the playstyle. The speed is an advantage compared to NC but can get you into trouble aswell - when you overextend.

8 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

I'm actually now tempted to continue my German BBs and continue on with Bismarck and maybe just get to the GK by casually playing. I do remember having more fun with German BBs overall than any other BB line so here's that :) 

Bismarck is one of those ships, that scale very bad. Meaning: you get into a T10 game, you struggle. At the same time, when you are Bismarck in a heavy T6 game, you are a monster. One challenge is, to play accordingly. Took me some time, especially with Bismarck, to get there.

22 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

I'm concerned about how the captain rework will affect them. Won't their brawling potential(the entire point of the line afaik) be severely reduced with the secondary nerf coming from the rework? Or is the whole secondary nerf thing just blown out of proportion and isn't *that* bad? I know you really shouldn't rely on secondaries to actually do damage, they're just a nice bonus to set things on fire and shred DDs, but still. I did see you say that to just go with a tank build, but I think secondaries would be more fun when I get the opportunity to use them. Again, I understand that you shouldn't yolo to secondary range to just use them :) 

I dont think the captain rework will have that big of an impact - but take that from a guy, that isnt a fan of secondary builds. I have them on exactly 2 ships, thats Gneisenau and Massachussets. I used to play like 10 random games Bismarck with secondary setup and I couldnt make it work or better: the problem was, I was not used to how I usually am able to tank / deal with incoming damage. Then I switched to a tank build on Bismarck and results improved instantly. The same problem I kinda face with Massa: When in randoms, and my other BBs are useless, I cant step in to slow down a lemming train walking all over us. Again, it might be me. At the same time, ill say this: In an environment with smaller teams, like ranked right now, Massa works awesome. Same should apply for Bismarck with a secondary build, but I dont feel like changing the build just to test, especially since I have Massa ready to go.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,684 posts
9,730 battles
26 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

2017 when i mostly played the german BBs (T6-8) i played Gneisenau and Bismarck with Secondaries. But that were different times. T7-8 are the only tiers, where i would consider a secondary build, maybe even only T8 due to T7 MM being so bad.

I hated FDG with secondary build, so i skipped it, but it also got buffed several times since then. Didnt like secondary GK either, switched to tankbuild = much better. If you really want to go close to brawl, you still have secondaries. Using german secondaries at 10-11km is usually not something you can rely on anyway. If its a BB, chances are you can just rush it and kill it. If its a Cruiser, you should be able to kill it with guns. Dont count on them to work against DDs anyway, you have more problems if a DD is so close that you could shred him with secondaries (or no problems at all if the DD is bad). Most people will assume, that you are a secondary build BB and try to escape you anyway, ontop of having that stale campy meta on T10.

If you go for a tankbuild, not much will change for you when the captain rework hits. Ill look into it once its here, but i see a possibility for a secondary/tank hybrid, where you want to be in secondary range of a ship to get a buff for your mainguns. Essentially you would want to have as much range as possible, but forego the manual secondary skill (in the rework that is), because the benefit is not good enough.

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,509 posts
11,035 battles
6 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

I can't make the thing work for the life of me, and I pretty much have no other options when it comes to FXP and credit earning.. People just "just flank" but won't that just get me blapped in the broadside right away? I also get a lot of overpens which really frustrates me. Should I just hang back at like 15km and take opportunistic shots? I don't know.

10 pt cpt play: Not good not terrible

https://replayswows.com/replay/118873#stats

Players
1,370 posts
4,516 battles
4 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

They are not the worst, they have the lowest skill floor and the lowest skill ceiling, they're the opposite of say, british light cruisers, or basically any destroyer. They limit what a good player can do, because it does not have the tools, but they also limit how much a below-average player gets punished. They are essentially battleships with trainer-wheels because mistakes that get you deleted in any other battleship, will only result in a bloody nose. From over-extending and having a near invulnerable citadel, being covered in thiccc plating to having insane hydro that lets you avoid torpedoes with ease. Good player does not need turtleback because he'll rarely show side, does not need hydro because he'll have a good idea of when and where torps will be coming from.

Despite all this they can actually carry games in the right hands because they're so goddamn tanky, nothing is harder to deal with on the front line, so like a new player in a German BB will sit in the back and "snipe" (Dreadful accuracy, worst ship to do this with, don't do this in any BB but for the love of god please don't do it in Germans) - A good player that wants to play these ships as intended is on the front line and can single-handedly lock down a cap or crucial area of the map.

They also get a bad reputation because they're noob-friendly, new players tend to like them, so if you see someone doing potato things, it's often in a German BB, the ships aren't actually bad. Well the T9 probably really is.

Secondary spec Germans were always for-fun builds, they were never actually good, secondary nerf should not affect them in a meaningful way. Even a well played secondary build German was getting the vast majority of the work done with main guns. These main guns get significant buffs with the rework, especially within the ranges where German BBs are most effective.

[ATEEZ]
Players
47 posts
1,228 battles
3 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

2017 when i mostly played the german BBs (T6-8) i played Gneisenau and Bismarck with Secondaries. But that were different times. T7-8 are the only tiers, where i would consider a secondary build, maybe even only T8 due to T7 MM being so bad.

I hated FDG with secondary build, so i skipped it, but it also got buffed several times since then. Didnt like secondary GK either, switched to tankbuild = much better. If you really want to go close to brawl, you still have secondaries. Using german secondaries at 10-11km is usually not something you can rely on anyway. If its a BB, chances are you can just rush it and kill it. If its a Cruiser, you should be able to kill it with guns. Dont count on them to work against DDs anyway, you have more problems if a DD is so close that you could shred him with secondaries (or no problems at all if the DD is bad). Most people will assume, that you are a secondary build BB and try to escape you anyway, ontop of having that stale campy meta on T10.

If you go for a tankbuild, not much will change for you when the captain rework hits. Ill look into it once its here, but i see a possibility for a secondary/tank hybrid, where you want to be in secondary range of a ship to get a buff for your mainguns. Essentially you would want to have as much range as possible, but forego the manual secondary skill (in the rework that is), because the benefit is not good enough.

Decided to bite the bullet and grind the credits to buy the Bismarck. Hope I won't regret it! :D

It seems like a pretty fun ship, and the concept of hanging back until there's an opening to push in and get up close sounds great to me. I'm building full secondaries, but if that doesn't work I have another captain I can spec for a regular tank build. :) 

Players
3,475 posts

The thing what kills the ship, she has a speed boost which is nice but  can get you into trouble quite easily, each and everytime, the turret traverse kill it stone dead, actually sold it on my alt, may do the same thing here on this one,for credits and FXP, my go to ship would be the Lion which may seem odd to many, possibly FDG, maybe even Mushashi on a bad day, never the Georgia, buff that turret traverse, and we are cooking on gas, but that I doubt will ever happen.

• Cool 1

[NOSUB]
Players
298 posts
14,719 battles

Georgia, GOD blessed! The most powerful ship in the right hands, the favorite, most enjoyable and the funniest, not a good armor scheme but impressive speed and laser gun.
You have to calculate the battle, find a good position (flank position), feel the moment and deal your damage to enemy, don't get close and don't be far away, always be ready to run away, for me kiting the best option

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5cc184d38c88b6bdbcb30d3efc58fbf3.jpg

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,042 posts
12,266 battles
20 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

I usually play mine a bit careful at start and then more and more aggressive as the game goes on. I have quite a selection of videos of successfull games in Georgia on my channel if you want to check them out (linked below), also showcase my build for the ship and captain. Georgia is one of my Top 5 ships and the biggest thing for me is that Georgia has the possibility to turn almost any game around if played right (which often happens in my videos). Also great at getting "free" DD kills with secondary build. 

[UNNF]
Players
180 posts
15,351 battles

Hm, you make me think :cap_old:

I usually play my Georgia with a bottle of nice red wine : Mavrud, Bordeaux, Merlot or Pinot Noir with some sheep & goat cheese around  :cap_cool:

Amazing ship, strong is weak word to describe it . And this speed :cat_cool:

Players
1,370 posts
4,516 battles

Just be mindful of where you go, easy on the gas pedal, a battleship being the fastest ship in the match can be brilliant, but it can also get you killed, fast.
Pay more attention to the minimap than you would in any other BB