You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GargencUA

About the purchase of strasbourg

28 comments in this topic

[ALTAY]
Players
38 posts
14,066 battles

Hello,

If i buy Strasbourg with doubloon and then complete Strasbourg campaing, what will i have? Dobloon for Strasbourg or Credit?

Thanks in advance...

Players
1,088 posts
7,459 battles
3 minutes ago, GargencUA said:

Hello,

If i buy Strasbourg with doubloon and then complete Strasbourg campaing, what will i have? Dobloon for Strasbourg or Credit?

Thanks in advance...

You should receive doubloons in compensation. You will get 9500 doubloons according to the article. The amount of doubloons is roughly the cost of a T7 BB (without Port Slot). 

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-events/premium-shop-0912/

You can obtain flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fapremium_1d0cabf1997104fd727039ab9c098192VII Strasbourg by completing the final mission of the "In Pursuit of Strasbourg" campaign, which will become available on January 11. However, if you purchase this French battleship right away, you'll be able to start completing the missions of the "Ships and Fates" campaign that require Strasbourg. This way, you'll have more time to collect all the campaign rewards, including ships with permanent camouflages, special Commanders, and Santa's Gift containers. If you complete the "In Pursuit of Strasbourg" campaign later on, you'll receive 9,500 doubloons as compensation for the ship, a Port slot, and the Winter Holiday permanent camouflage.

• Cool 6

Players
1,088 posts
7,459 battles
2 minutes ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

Pretty sure you'll get credits. 

You will get doubloons.

• Cool 2

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,235 battles
2 hours ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

Oh wow that's generous. 

Indeed. The value of a Tier VII Battleship in doubloons. Mean old WG, we wanted a Dasha Calendar and a complementary Thunderer as well.....

[OHRIP]
Players
1,198 posts
9,930 battles

You only need Strasbourg so it doesn't Makarov your shortlist in December. Otherwise it's crap.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
4,415 posts
16,500 battles
56 minutes ago, Dampfboot said:

You only need Strasbourg so it doesn't Makarov your shortlist in December. Otherwise it's crap.

I quite like it. It’s reload booster can make it quite fun when these low tier cruisers Turn in front of you. When you face a sinop, you do realise that they have every advantage against you.

Worth the grind as there is plenty of fun to be had but probably not worth buying outright.

However, buy it now and receive the doubloon value on completion of the campaign. As well as using the 200xp mission and allowing much quicker access to the second campaign.

[WTFNO]
Players
40 posts
4,799 battles
18 hours ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

Oh wow that's generous. 

No, it's just good business sense. If you get dubs back instead of credits, a lot more people will buy Strasbourg for doing the campaigns. If you only got credits back, those extra people would not spend any money at all. (The people who buy Strasbourg and complete the campaign are essentially buying 9500 dubs they otherwise wouldn't have bought.)

• Boring 1

Players
1,038 posts
6,089 battles

I have a lot of games in the Dunkeke, which is an acquired taste at tier 6. Its main strength is being crap enough to be ignored/underestimated and then lolpenning broadsides with high pen rifles. This kind of works on a good day at t6 mm. The idea of playing a glorified dunkeke at t7 mm makes me shudder. It’s not going to be even good against cruisers without overmatch, so you will be even more dependent on enemies misplaying to get anything done. It also has the same problem as the Nelson, i.e. all forward firepower is pointless if your ship’s bow is made of wet tissue paper. Overall seems to be on track to become the weakest t7 bb.

• Cool 1

Players
3,274 posts
24,001 battles

Title says it all.

It is an easy grind. So just grind it in case it ends up on some shortlist some day, then never touch it again except for snowflaking.

Do not give WG any money, least of all for THIS.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,235 battles
51 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

It’s not going to be even good against cruisers without overmatch, so you will be even more dependent on enemies misplaying to get anything done.

I think that shows just how degraded BB play has become - we're getting back to arcade mechanics where every hit must do major damage or it's regarded as sub-par.

1 hour ago, arttuperkunas said:

It also has the same problem as the Nelson, i.e. all forward firepower is pointless if your ship’s bow is made of wet tissue paper.

It's a lot narrower than Nelson, which means you can work the belt more easily. Going directly nose-in doesn't work well with 26mm armour, as people are finding out. (Hint: it's not Richelieu). Flamu says to play it as a cruiser, which makes sense - against Tier IX opposition the armour scheme is more reminiscent of a well-armoured cruiser like Drake than it is of a BB. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,038 posts
6,089 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

I think that shows just how degraded BB play has become - we're getting back to arcade mechanics where every hit must do major damage or it's regarded as sub-par.

It's a lot narrower than Nelson, which means you can work the belt more easily. Going directly nose-in doesn't work well with 26mm armour, as people are finding out. (Hint: it's not Richelieu). Flamu says to play it as a cruiser, which makes sense - against Tier IX opposition the armour scheme is more reminiscent of a well-armoured cruiser like Drake than it is of a BB. 

I dont disagree with any of that. Of course a good player can make any ship work, and the angled belt of any ship will bounce anything. The point is that pretty much any other t7 bb can be and will be better in the hands of an equally capable player. This thing seems pointless, as you can already experience the same gameplay with much more forgiving mm with the Dunkeke. Going into t9 matches (as you will constantly do with t7 mm) with this pos... yeah, no thanks.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,235 battles
11 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

The point is that pretty much any other t7 bb can be and will be better in the hands of an equally capable player. This thing seems pointless, as you can already experience the same gameplay with much more forgiving mm with the Dunkeke. Going into t9 matches (as you will constantly do with t7 mm) with this pos... yeah, no thanks.

The appeal of the ship is not being a generic Tier VII BB. Which is why it's not in the Tech Tree line, where Lyon provides something more reliable to play. I don't think people are buying it to excel in the Meta, they're buying it because they like French battleships, non-paper designs, and something you have to think about and make work, rather than E-Z overmatching BBs. By all means skip and it and play something else if that doesn't appeal. 

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
2 hours ago, arttuperkunas said:

It’s not going to be even good against cruisers without overmatch, so you will be even more dependent on enemies misplaying to get anything done.

The same can be said for a lot of french BBs, but thats not really an issue.

I think the bigger issue is, that T7 MM is just garbage these days.

• Cool 2

Players
3,604 posts
5 hours ago, Dampfboot said:

Yeah I watched this video too, just why this ship is this bad and in the game baffle's me, straight off the bat it needs buffs, and they want money for this thing, lol WG this time you can run and jump.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
28,209 battles
5 hours ago, gopher31 said:

When you face a sinop, you do realise that they have every advantage against you.

Comrade, you have quite the nerve trying to compete against the glorious Soviet ships!

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
1,671 posts
19,543 battles
7 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Flamu actually says "Skip this ship."

As we say in Germany: Flamu says a lot when the day is long.

Owning the Strasbourg I found his review biased, besides the point and as lurid as ever. Strasbourg is not a bad ship and being for free, i.e. a fair grind, it is a way better deal than the dockyard ships.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
3,274 posts
24,001 battles
Vor 23 Minuten, HMS_Kilinowski sagte:

Owning the Strasbourg I found his review biased, besides the point and as lurid as ever.

So you're going to argue against the facts?

Like,

- frequently uptiered and up against Tier IXs

- overmatched by very many other ships

- very thin plating offering very little protection even against cruisers

- Edit: forgot "cannot overmatch a great many other ships, not even many cruisers, since the gun caliber is even smaller than on the French tech tree silver BB"

- and of course, the main point, pure carrier bait.

According to my statistics, on average, Tier VII gets a CV in 50.3% of battles on the EU server. A French BB might get a bit fewer if my conjecture about the matchmaking is anything to go by, since the nationality mirroring means no French CVs can ever be roped in to make up the numbers. (I call it the Friesland effect.) On the other hand, on the NA server, my Lyon got 18% more CVs than my KGV, so ymmv. In any event, up against any semi-conscious CV, you are taking it up the bunghole and that is that.

Beta Tester
950 posts
3,535 battles

The ship is crap no seriously crap , You get overmatched by nearly everything , Tanking bow on is a joke I take 8-9k salvos on a regular basis even when angled , You cant even disengage as your concealment is so crap.

One of the worst ships ever in Wows it might be free but shite your never going to play this pile of crap.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,235 battles
13 minutes ago, MacFergus said:

One of the worst ships ever in Wows it might be free but shite your never going to play this pile of crap.

Why not? It's not like Dunkerque has it any better - bad concealment on even smaller maps, and there are still plenty of ships at Tier VI with 380mm guns or more which will overmatch her bow/stern. 

Regarding every new ship as the worst one since the last one is becoming a bit of a cliche. Apparently Florida was awful. California unplayable. Poltava not even worth mentioning. And yet they all seem to be performing just fine. Strasbourg's soft shell might be a problem from time to time, but it's worthwhile if you like the national style.

Beta Tester
950 posts
3,535 battles
33 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Why not? It's not like Dunkerque has it any better - bad concealment on even smaller maps, and there are still plenty of ships at Tier VI with 380mm guns or more which will overmatch her bow/stern. 

Regarding every new ship as the worst one since the last one is becoming a bit of a cliche. Apparently Florida was awful. California unplayable. Poltava not even worth mentioning. And yet they all seem to be performing just fine. Strasbourg's soft shell might be a problem from time to time, but it's worthwhile if you like the national style.

Because the Dunk is a tier lower and that counts for a lot where the Strassturd is concerned , Good luck bouncing CA shots bow on because even they can pen you from the front.

Georgia and JB will tear you a new arsehole.

[THESO]
Players
1,671 posts
19,543 battles
On 1/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

So you're going to argue against the facts?

Like,

Not at all. I am just using my own mind instead of blindly parroting an authority.

- frequently uptiered and up against Tier IXs

So are all T7 BBs. That is not an argument against the Strasbourg specifically but against most T7 ships. Most T7 DDs and cruisers don't uptier well due to the lack of the concealment mod. Very few T7-BBs can compete when uptiered. The few that can are separated into those that can do damage and those that can tank. Every T7-ship is a compromise when uptiered that needs to be played carefully and consciously.

- overmatched by very many other ships

- very thin plating offering very little protection even against cruisers

That is true. Strasbourg gets overmatched because it has 26mm of armor all over. Flamu makes this sound special. It is not. Nagato, Colorado, KGV and DoY all have 26mm all over. Other ships like California or Lyon - don't know about all the premium ships - got 26mm plating on bow, stern and/or the upper belt. Nelson regularly gets citadelled through the nose. It has a huge citadel that almost covers the entire width of the ship. You can't miss it. Strasbourg has a box half the width of the ship and considerably lower above the water line. Nelson still is considered one of the best T7-BBs.

- Edit: forgot "cannot overmatch a great many other ships, not even many cruisers, since the gun caliber is even smaller than on the French tech tree silver BB"

The main point Flamu did not even mention: Strasbourg is a fire-starter. Effectively it starts more fires than any other T7-BB. According to the wows fitting tool, it starts 2.32 fires per minute, compared to 2.39 on the King of fires George V. Add in the dpm-surplus of the reload booster and it bests KGV. In one aspect Flamu was right: You play it like a cruiser. You stay mobile, you spam nose in targets and you prepare for them being fed up and turning, so you can punish them. Everybody who tries to bow-tank in a Strasbourg "cause frontal turrets" ofc will get slapped and blame the ship.

- and of course, the main point, pure carrier bait.

According to my statistics, on average, Tier VII gets a CV in 50.3% of battles on the EU server. A French BB might get a bit fewer if my conjecture about the matchmaking is anything to go by, since the nationality mirroring means no French CVs can ever be roped in to make up the numbers. (I call it the Friesland effect.) On the other hand, on the NA server, my Lyon got 18% more CVs than my KGV, so ymmv. In any event, up against any semi-conscious CV, you are taking it up the bunghole and that is that.

Nagato, Ashitaka, Colorado, Nelson, KGV, they all get a similar amount of plane kills as the Strasbourg. To be fair, the Strasbourg really doesn't have good AA. It's playstyle however partially mitigates that weakness. Since you play it like a kiting cruiser, the Strasbourg is moving full speed most of the time, so it can dodge way better than e.g. a stationary Sinop. Also the dispersion and arcs are not bad. I play the Strasbourg a bit like an Azuma, at longer range. Not only can you dodge shells better, but CVs don't like to fly through many AA bubbles, just to strike a ship in the back of the line.

I mean don't get me wrong. Some of Flamus points are absolutely valid and correctly observed. But he craves attention, so he likes to create drama and be very binary in his judgement.

The Strasbourg is a ship with weaknesses, but if you play it right, it has an impact on the game. It's currently my highest damage T7-BB and even Flamu gets almost 200k damage in his review. It's basically a free ship. If anybody still thinks you should skip the grind, as Flamu suggests, worship your god and do so.

• Cool 2

Players
3,274 posts
24,001 battles
Vor 46 Minuten, HMS_Kilinowski sagte:

(uptiered)
So are all T7 BBs. That is not an argument against the Strasbourg specifically but against most T7 ships.

Only that most (all?) others are a lot tankier and perform way better as BBs when uptiered.

Not the least because every single one has bigger guns and all except Ashitaka have a lot more AA. Most have more than twice the dps, some almost five times as much.

Not that any of that is enough, any semi-competent CV will still get a strike off, but it will make them choose Strasbourg over other targets and they might even get multiple strikes off against her.

Zitat

Very few T7-BBs can compete when uptiered. The few that can are separated into those that can do damage and those that can tank.

Oh great, Strasbourg gives a whole new category: Those that can do neither.

Mold breaking! Paradigm-shifting!1 :Smile_trollface:

Zitat

Nelson still is considered one of the best T7-BBs.

Because it can do damage because of its bf guns, and tank damage bc of its new-ship printer. Besides twice the AA dps.

Don't look now but Strasbourg has none of those things. Only squishiness, poor stealth and some speed.

Zitat

The main point Flamu did not even mention: Strasbourg is a fire-starter. Effectively it starts more fires than any other T7-BB. According to the wows fitting tool, it starts 2.32 fires per minute, compared to 2.39 on the King of fires George V.

Great. But if you insist on playing Tier VII to start fires, you might as well use just about any actual cruiser, and have an easier time surviving in some of them, if because of nothing else than stealth and agility. Plus they have more damage output.

Zitat

In one aspect Flamu was right: You play it like a cruiser.

He said "You have to play it like a cruiser." If you insist on playing it at all. Because it leaves no other options, because it fails at everything that makes a BB.

Zitat

Nagato, Ashitaka, Colorado, Nelson, KGV, they all get a similar amount of plane kills as the Strasbourg.

Because all but complete potato carriers avoid them, especially if there is a Strasbourg around they can pick on instead, because all the others have much more dps.

Zitat

I mean don't get me wrong. Some of Flamus points are absolutely valid and correctly observed. But he craves attention, so he likes to create drama and be very binary in his judgement.

Yeah, a garbage promo premium BB is garbage. Real show stopper. Who woulda thunk. And there is absolutely nothing else happening in the game right now that he could grab a lot bigger headlines with if that was the main intention here. Oh wait.

Besides, grabbing attention is a vital part of his job description, so that is actually a compliment.

Zitat

It's currently my highest damage T7-BB

Super. Only that is not the point of using a BB. Their role is to tank damage and threaten others with their alpha in order to gain map control. None of which Strasbourg can do. And if you insist on comparing it to cruisers - whose actual role it is to do a lot of damage - then how does the damage done stack up to your best cruiser? For a fair comparison?

Zitat

It's basically a free ship. If anybody still thinks you should skip the grind, as Flamu suggests, worship your god and do so.

I don't mean to defend him, in fact I've gone off him quite a bit, but your arguments are far-fetched and fail to hold up. They make you sound jealous of the attention he supposedly gets. Which is very little, compared to what he could get if he were streaming a game that was actually popular. Especially considering he actually puts in some effort to deliver quality YT reviews, in contrast to most other WoWs streamers and youtubers.

Also to my mind, he doesn't even suggest to skip the grind, he suggests to skip playing it, and at any rate, skip paying actual money for it. And I agree with that.