Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bacho_PL

NATIONAL FLAGS on European and Panam and Commonwelth vessels

20 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts
7,766 battles

(I'm new on forum so sorry if my subject is in wrong place)

In my opinion in common trees like Europe, Panam or Commonwelth vessel should have at rear its orginal nationall flag:

Swedesh, Australian, Austro-Hungarian, Polish Argentinian etc.

In soviet tree vessel itself keeps orginal flag from the period of time. 

Would be nice and more historical if they would do so with common trees.

I really prefer playing more historical vessels than some transformers, octopus, dragons etc.
Derar players what is your opinion abot that?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,389 posts
14,914 battles
19 minutes ago, Bacho_PL said:

In my opinion in common trees like Europe, Panam or Commonwelth vessel should have at rear its orginal nationall flag:

What, a bit like this:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2b7113eeb5b2f1042f7a61b98408df2f.png

(Haida)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.10ceaff722e138d676f18fc799cfcec0.png

(VU)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.569e970f4fe608afc2551d1657e416e9.png

(Blysk)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e20e8c690a2c893312da83b5fd492dbf.png

(Smaland)

If you haven't found it yet, the national flags can be mounted from the very bottom of the 'flags' tab in the 'exterior' screen...

• Cool 6

[R3B3L]
Players
1,110 posts
31,476 battles

In short:

Spoiler

change_national_flag.jpg.74df5e603ae6db1a8a276a5e5f2b9350.jpg

In case you mean the historically correct flags like "German Cross" etc - won´t happen since WG fears hates avoids everything from the past, except glorious Hammer&Sickle

• Cool 4

[UNNF]
Players
176 posts
15,331 battles

WG priority as a profit company is to collect as many as possible historically accurate and still legally valid European or other currencies from the player' s wallets, pockets, cards, etc.

Then if you are lucky you can get Admiral Makarov :cap_cool:

• Funny 1

[CKBK]
Players
307 posts
13,205 battles

There are mods for this, use them instead.

[RODS]
Players
1,590 posts
7,701 battles
18 hours ago, Bacho_PL said:

Would be nice and more historical if they would do so with common trees.

Yes

I really prefer playing more historical vessels than some transformers, octopus, dragons etc.

Couldnt agree more

Derar players what is your opinion abot that?

Think there are mods that hide them from view while keeping perm camo benefits

At least it works for your own ships

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,767 battles
11 hours ago, Miki12345 said:

There are mods for this, use them instead.

Don't even need a mod. The national flags are in game.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,389 posts
14,914 battles
1 hour ago, Bacho_PL said:

embarassing

Not at all - there isn't any reason to be rummaging around down there; it's not like most of the tech trees have options of that sort.

:Smile_honoring:

[NOWH]
Players
862 posts
6,026 battles
18 hours ago, VIadoCro said:

In case you mean the historically correct flags like "German Cross" etc - won´t happen since WG fears hates avoids everything from the past, except glorious Hammer&Sickle

not like they have a choice.

the number of people on this forum happy to go full snowflake calling others racist/fascist/ismist should tell you how dire the world has gotten.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,794 posts
12,260 battles
56 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

not like they have a choice.

the number of people on this forum happy to go full snowflake calling others racist/fascist/ismist should tell you how dire the world has gotten.

What irks people the most (at least around central and eastern Europe) isn't even the fact of shying away from the war-time symbols of German and Japanese navy, even though the latter is a bit silly since while Japan itself has changed its flag, Japanese navy marine self-defense force literally still flies the flag in question - so it's not historical, it's modern naval flag of a democratic country, making censoring it is a huge f*ck-you to the Japanese. Still, I'm not going to get offended on behalf of the Japanese here - what I (and, as mentioned, many people from central Europe) have the bigger problem with is that the other totalitarian regime - just as bad as the banned two - is cuddled and cherished, its blood-stained symbols emphasized F*CKING EVERYWHERE.

It would be ok if all these symbols were "banned".

It would be ok if German and Soviet symbols were "banned", with Japanese being exempt from that due to being modern symbols that don't just stand for the specific dark period in history.

Finally, it would be ok (and that would be my personal preference) if all these symbols were allowed as historical symbols that simply belong on historical ships...

But "banning" symbols of some criminal regimes while celebrating these belonging to another criminal regime is a clear statement by the company that "unlike the foreign monsters, OUR criminals are ok". Basically, through this particular discrimination when it comes to totalitarian symbols, Wargaming symbolically condones the monumental Soviet war crimes. Which is, you know, not very nice for some people from certain parts of Europe. Especially people who can, on personal level, just look into the history of their family and find a couple dead bodies with Soviet bullets in the back of the head. Happens to be the case for me, in fact - one family member was an officer taken POW and killed in Katyń, while another... well, let's just  say that if Soviets were a bit more competent about catching civilians they wanted to murder, my chances of complaining here now would've been cut short two generations ago.

But sure, let's celebrate the hammer and sickle while banning Swastika and Rising Sun! Uncle Stalin was such a great guy!

• Cool 4

[NOWH]
Players
862 posts
6,026 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

But "banning" symbols of some criminal regimes while celebrating these belonging to another criminal regime is a clear statement by the company that "unlike the foreign monsters, OUR criminals are ok".

it really isnt.

the governemtns that banned/want to ban the swastika around the world, want communism themselves. nothing to do with weegee in this case. if anything, the reality is that former soviet nations more strongly oppose communism than the nations that are currently infested with soviet fetishists.

[CKBK]
Players
307 posts
13,205 battles
14 hours ago, TheBrut3 said:

Don't even need a mod. The national flags are in game.

Not all are, and some are historically different from the ones in the game. That also extends to some camos.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,794 posts
12,260 battles
14 hours ago, SkollUlfr said:

it really isnt.

the governemtns that banned/want to ban the swastika around the world, want communism themselves. nothing to do with weegee in this case. if anything, the reality is that former soviet nations more strongly oppose communism than the nations that are currently infested with soviet fetishists.

WG originates from the post-USSR countries (Belarus, more specifically). Also, your entire post strongly implies that you don't have a... let's mildly call it "a limited idea of what you are talking about". But let's leave it at that, this is hardly the place to delve into political stuff regarding who does or doesn't want communism (and/or what that would even mean in the first place).

[GEUS]
[GEUS]
Players
349 posts
11,799 battles

The weird thing I've noticed is that the national flag is only really effecting me. Prior to obtaining my Friesland, all Frieslands I've seen in game had the Pan-European flag. When I finally had enough freexp to obtain the Friesland, and changed the Pan-European flag for the national flag, every other Friesland I see in game is also wearing the national flag. However, my clanmates, who have not obtained the Friesland, still see the Pan-European flag, even on my ship, while I equipped the national flag.

So it works differently from the other flags one can mount on a ship. And I think that's a silly system. If I see change the flag on my Friesland, shouldn't everyone see that flag, on my ship? 

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
5,659 posts
55 minutes ago, Purnylla said:

The weird thing I've noticed is that the national flag is only really effecting me. Prior to obtaining my Friesland, all Frieslands I've seen in game had the Pan-European flag. When I finally had enough freexp to obtain the Friesland, and changed the Pan-European flag for the national flag, every other Friesland I see in game is also wearing the national flag. However, my clanmates, who have not obtained the Friesland, still see the Pan-European flag, even on my ship, while I equipped the national flag.

So it works differently from the other flags one can mount on a ship. And I think that's a silly system. If I see change the flag on my Friesland, shouldn't everyone see that flag, on my ship? 

That sounds very odd.. almost as if it is some kind of a in client mod we are talking about here. I remember one time asking what ensign people saw on my Swedish DD which supposedly had the Swedish ensign equipped, but my flag mod was outdated so it showed me the RN ensign instead. They responded saying they saw the Swedish one, though but I have no idea if they had chosen to equip their Swedish DD's with that one or even if they had any, IIRC they didn't play the Swedish ships in that battle themselves.

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
201 posts
15 hours ago, SkollUlfr said:

it really isnt.

Well, It's a mistake in your POV, let me explain it for you to take in consideration, as I'm half Ukrainian and i can explain a bit of how things are saw in a eastern POV.

USSR is not just Stalin, but most of the feelings against "old history" came because of Russia, and Russian nationalism that ruled over the USSR (despite Khrushchev and Gorbachev) but there is tons of people that are proud what they achieve as a country. At this time most of the symbol banning spreading in old soviet republics has been triggered because of the expansionism of Russia (as it was in the USSR) not just because people feels USSR just as an evil regime.

And my mother's country is the best example that things are not that simple in Eastern Europe.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,389 posts
14,914 battles
2 hours ago, Purnylla said:

If I see change the flag on my Friesland, shouldn't everyone see that flag, on my ship?

I agree, but if the contrary is in fact happening, I can take a guess as to why: I don't remember the detail, but around the time that the PA ships first turned up, I vaguely recall some Chinese (as in the usual China that we mean when we say 'China') folk got their knickers in a twist over having the Taiwanese flag in game, as they view the latter country as belonging to them, and not as an independent nation.

It wouldn't surprise me if WG decided to take the 'easy life' (and 'easy money' too, of course) route, and hide scary Taiwanese flags from easily distressed Chinese folk...?

On reflection, it's probably just as well that Tibet isn't known for its navy...

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
5,659 posts
4 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I agree, but if the contrary is in fact happening, I can take a guess as to why: I don't remember the detail, but around the time that the PA ships first turned up, I vaguely recall some Chinese (as in the usual China that we mean when we say 'China') folk got their knickers in a twist over having the Taiwanese flag in game, as they view the latter country as belonging to them, and not as an independent nation.

It wouldn't surprise me if WG decided to take the 'easy life' (and 'easy money' too, of course) route, and hide scary Taiwanese flags from easily distressed Chinese folk...?

On reflection, it's probably just as well that Tibet isn't known for its navy...

I assume that by 'the usual China' you mean Red China. A slight correction, though, hope you don't mind. The 'alternate' flag is not the Flag of Taiwan, but of the Republic of China. Taiwan has no official flag of its own, AFAIK. And.. to split hairs even further, it is, of course, more specifically the naval ensign of the Republic of China. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,389 posts
14,914 battles
7 hours ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

A slight correction, though, hope you don't mind.

I don't mind at all!

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this