You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nexio_

Help me pick a cruiser line, please

31 comments in this topic

[ATEEZ]
Players
47 posts
1,307 battles

ey, I just can't choose a cruiser line for the life of me. I finally decided on a BB line (Russia, then France), but not cruisers. So many choices!

I only grinded out the Japanese cruisers and (regrettably) got the Zao a while back, so I'm definitely not new to how cruisers work. Islands, kiting and all. Do note that I'm also interested in the T5-T9 experience too, not just the T10! I don't have mountains of free XP to use :cap_haloween:

I have a few options floating around in my head but can't settle on one. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Italy (apparently it's bad and relies too much on the enemy making mistakes..? Currently on the Trento, doesn't seem like too bad of an experience, pulling my weight in T8 matches even. what I like about this line is that SAP can land some huge alpha hits, and that just like the Japanese line, they're focused on maneuverability and kiting. Is it really *that* bad? I even hear that Venezia has powercrept my poor ancient Zao..)

2. Russia (IFHE mandatory? It takes ages for me to get a 10pt captain.. Not idea if I should go CL or CA. Apparently Tallinn and Riga are trash and Petro is easily countered by a competent player? A lot of conflicting opinions. As for CL, the Dmitri Donskoi grind worries me a little. Love the sound of fast cruisers with a great shell velocity, burning down enemy with HE.)

3. USA (sometimes I make them work, sometimes I don't. Only went for CA line and currently on the Baltimore. Sold it because I just can't grasp it at all, and again, Buffalo grind worries me. Also heard that DM really suffers in the current meta and gets dunked by overmatching BBs and MvR 24/7. CL is something to consider, but Seattle seems to be a lemon too.. I just think they're not for me, I prefer more action focused gameplay that keeps me engaged. I sit near islands bow on and I just get burnt down. Seriously don't grasp them at all.)

4. Germany (seems to be a pretty solid pick, but the T7-T9 portion worries me. Yorck because T7 is overall a terrible tier for matchmaking, Hipper because it's regarded as hot trash by many others, and Roon because it also gets quite some flak from others. Seems to be a beefed up Nurnberg with bigger guns at T9 though..?)

I considered the French, but after I saw how the Henri accelerates? Just no.... I'd rather have a nice reward waiting for me at the end. UK sounds great, but I'm too bad for the CL line and the CAs seem very mediocre, borderline just bad from what I hear?

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
2 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

ey, I just can't choose a cruiser line for the life of me. I finally decided on a BB line (Russia, then France), but not cruisers. So many choices!

I only grinded out the Japanese cruisers and (regrettably) got the Zao a while back, so I'm definitely not new to how cruisers work. Islands, kiting and all. Do note that I'm also interested in the T5-T9 experience too, not just the T10! I don't have mountains of free XP to use :cap_haloween:

I have a few options floating around in my head but can't settle on one. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Italy (apparently it's bad and relies too much on the enemy making mistakes..? Currently on the Trento, doesn't seem like too bad of an experience, pulling my weight in T8 matches even. what I like about this line is that SAP can land some huge alpha hits, and that just like the Japanese line, they're focused on maneuverability and kiting. Is it really *that* bad? I even hear that Venezia has powercrept my poor ancient Zao..)

Can't help you there, i don't have it, they are trash and a lot to work for just for Venetia

2. Russia (IFHE mandatory? It takes ages for me to get a 10pt captain.. Not idea if I should go CL or CA. Apparently Tallinn and Riga are trash and Petro is easily countered by a competent player? A lot of conflicting opinions. As for CL, the Dmitri Donskoi grind worries me a little. Love the sound of fast cruisers with a great shell velocity, burning down enemy with HE.)

Don't, i like buddy and Shchors a lot and i play them a lot Donskoi have better armour and comes with a heal, the only meh thing in that ship it's the 12 sec. reload time. Don't miss out Moskva

3. USA (sometimes I make them work, sometimes I don't. Only went for CA line and currently on the Baltimore. Sold it because I just can't grasp it at all, and again, Buffalo grind worries me. Also heard that DM really suffers in the current meta and gets dunked by overmatching BBs and MvR 24/7. CL is something to consider, but Seattle seems to be a lemon too.. I just think they're not for me, I prefer more action focused gameplay that keeps me engaged. I sit near islands bow on and I just get burnt down. Seriously don't grasp them at all.)

Balti can be awesome, Buffalo it's exactly the same but with more guns, they say it's has a different play style, but you can have the same firepower than Balti with only half of the guns or you can opt for the different playstile, just don't be greedy nor reckless and you will be fine

4. Germany (seems to be a pretty solid pick, but the T7-T9 portion worries me. Yorck because T7 is overall a terrible tier for matchmaking, Hipper because it's regarded as hot trash by many others, and Roon because it also gets quite some flak from others. Seems to be a beefed up Nurnberg with bigger guns at T9 though..?)

exactly that. As long you don't be in the head lines and be one more in the landscape you will be fine, i like my Roon and it's still stock with a 7 point captain, last time i played it i ended up in top of scoreboard

I considered the French, but after I saw how the Henri accelerates? Just no.... I'd rather have a nice reward waiting for me at the end. UK sounds great, but I'm too bad for the CL line and the CAs seem very mediocre, borderline just bad from what I hear?

Don't play much, honestly, too many buttons to press

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
8,249 posts

Germans are ok, Hindi and Roon are ok as keepers, if you want some silver ships lower you can get a T7 or 8 ship quite quickly, now of those...

T4 - french dugay truin and ijn kuma

T5 - ijn furutaka and konigsberg

T6 - german nurn is not a bad ship, leander and la galusoniere are even better, pepsi is ok if you are carefoul

T7 - ijn myoko and rn fiji are excellent, surrey is ok as well as new orleans

T8 - balti is excellent as well as chapa and tallin in respective roles

Also Drake in T9 is magnificent

• Cool 1

[_I_]
Players
1,509 posts
21,537 battles
1 hour ago, Nexio_ said:

UK sounds great, but I'm too bad for the CL line and the CAs seem very mediocre, borderline just bad from what I hear?

Minotaur is just awesome. Go with default range, it forces you to stick close to the action. 

Mino also teaches you that mistakes are punished :D

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles

1. I dont think the italians are bad. If you know where to aim, they are good even on midtiers. If you can make them work, dont be discouraged to not go further only because others tell you not to. I think Trento even is the worst of them all.

Zara has decent midsection armor, which lets you bounce all BB shells except for Georgia and Musashi.

2. The midtier ones used to be quite strong, but now they arent nearly as good anymore when being uptiered against T8 or T9, since you cant pen BBs even with IFHE. Chapa is also good thanks to its Radar. Donskoi is a bit more tricky if you want to use its radar, most people tell you not to, but its possible. Nevsky is... dunno, weird? Its not bad, but somehow might aswell just take a Wooster.

Tallinn is hot garbage, Riga bit better, Petro best of the 3. But i dont think its anything special in randoms, its just a competetive meta ship.

3. Most of the US CAs are good imo. Seattle is probably the worst tho. Buffalo can be strong, but needs more skill, you really want to use all your guns, otherwise you lose too much firepower due to the slow reload. DM is really good and so is Wooster. Helena suffers the same way as other T7 CLs, because when uptiered, it cant pen BBs with HE.

4. TBH, id rather pick the Frenchies then, instead of germans. If you look for nice ships outside of T10, the French Cruisers can definetely deliver. Algerie is maybe a bit weaker than the others, but still ok, CM i consider the strongest T8 silver Cruiser in terms of firepower. Also, Henri works perfectly fine. The issue you heard of, is people who used to accelerate/decelarate at 16+km, and managed to dodge BB fire with ease, cant really do that anymore due to the nerf. You can still play with Henri, same way as any other open water Cruiser like Zao, Venezia and Hindenburg.

• Cool 4

[THESO]
Players
5,181 posts

Each line has its ups and downs.

Pick something and just stick with it.

I had fun with russian line, american is also pretty solid. French and Italian wasnt so much fun for me, but that's just a personal preference. RN CL line is heavily smoke depending and unforgiving. CA.. pretty weak grind. Germans are ok, but I had trouble with T6 and T9 (back turret setup). But the Hindy is pretty good.

Out of all T10 silver cruisers I like Zao, Hindy and Petropavlovsk the most (I prefer open water play. HIV is a bit weird to play for me as I get penned a lot when kiting ...  and Venezia has funky smoke and inconsistent sap on anything but dds)

But like I said... Its very subjective.

Oh and a happy new year to all. About time 2020 gets one shotted.

• Cool 1

Players
23 posts
8,609 battles
1 hour ago, Nibenay78 said:

Minotaur is just awesome. Go with default range, it forces you to stick close to the action. 

Mino also teaches you that mistakes are punished :D

I'd hope the Neptune would have done most the teaching :)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[_I_]
Players
1,509 posts
21,537 battles
51 minutes ago, Angry_Penguin18 said:

I'd hope the Neptune would have done most the teaching :)

It works exactly the same, except both mino and the enemy has more firepower :D

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,236 posts
10,695 battles
10 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

I'd get soviet CA because petro is the only TX CA with armor

And by far the most boring to play with a trash tier 8 and meh tier 9.

French or german would be my picks if you just want a good enough line to play. Germans get that 1/4 HE with some decent ships that culminate in a good all rounder in the Hindenburg.

France has a meh tier 10 IMO but some great ships at tier 6-9 so you should be happy with those. And the Charles Martel is an amazing tier 8 and a definite keeper.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,226 battles
10 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

And by far the most boring to play with a trash tier 8 and meh tier 9.

A Tier VIII which is about to be significantly buffed. It's not as if Tallinn's AP is weak - I think it's the best performing light cruiser AP in the game - but the pen is going to be buffed by 14%, which is nonsense for a gun of that calibre.

Players
10,676 posts
12,156 battles
14 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

Italy cruisers get better the higher tier you go - not only because ships improve (mostly in salvo weight) but more and more enemies you see utilize all-or-nothing armor, which is very vulnerable to SAP ammo.

Russian light cruiser line is solid, though their size and absolute lack of agility can backfire on you when it comes to shell/torpedo evasion. They are almost universally fast, clocking up to 36kts. IFHE isn't that needed, maybe on tier 6-7 to help against cruisers when uptiered, otherwise you dismantle cruisers and burn down BBs.

US heavies are solid, if short ranged and bound to island camping. But then, very few cruisers can actually dare and sail at open waters given how increasingly punishing BB guns get. Light cruisers... Helena used to be a monster, Cleveland is okay, Seattle is straight downgrade over Cleve (and then Cleve in return isn't really an improvement over Helena), while Worcester is invalidated by Des Moines, which can HEspam just as well and have nasty AP to work with, as well much more useful turret layout.

German cruisers are very solid pick as well - Yorck after repeated buffing seems actually better than Hipper. Hipper isn't that bad, but she's as exciting to play as last year snow, Roon quirky turret layout can be an issue at times but otherwise she's demo version of Hindenburg, while Hindenburg is one of the best general purpose cruisers at T10 - heavy salvo, fast reload, consistent HE, surprisingly good firestarting and violent AP whenever you get broadside to work on.

French cruisers peak at Charles Martel, Saint Louis is hardly an improvement over her, while acceleration and IFHE nerfs left Henri in somewhat bad state. Shame, because Frenchsters were an actually viable pick for open water shenanigans with their great range, engine boost + double rudder build

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
5 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

A Tier VIII which is about to be significantly buffed. It's not as if Tallinn's AP is weak - I think it's the best performing light cruiser AP in the game - but the pen is going to be buffed by 14%, which is nonsense for a gun of that calibre.

I dont think that buff means much. (also i think it got already buffed this patch).

Against Cruiser, the pen was already sufficient to citadel them at almost any range. Maybe at maxrange, its now possible if they are slightly angled, but i dont know about that one. Still the issue is, that the dispersion is just worse than from other Cruisers.

Against BBs, you probably can now citadel some at 4-8km, depending on the ship. Easy fix for the BB? Dont show broadside, because when they start to angle, the pen wont be enough anymore. And Tallinn clearly has not the armor to sustain being that close to a BB. Hipper has it much better, as it can bounce 381mm caliber shells, while Tallinn can not.

I guess if you are toptier vs T6-7 BBs, it can be awesome, but otherwise still garbage. And if you can close the distance towards the BB you always had torps anyway.

[TOHOU]
Players
432 posts
5,240 battles

Pensacola is actually a beast with ap xD, has weak armor tho and slow turret traverse , at least you can slot hydro, first i hated that ship but i liked her more and more especially in operations , also easy to lob shells over small islands

Players
4,896 posts
21,316 battles

Id go with the UK light cruiser line, all T6 plus ships are fun and great. You are here to learn right? After that, ze Germans. A bit different, surprisingly powerful in practica actually. Not all ships are great but the Hindi is my favorite regular silver cruiser of them all.

• Cool 1

[BOATY]
Players
1,345 posts
16,693 battles
15 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

I think I can help you.

shot-21_01_01_05_51.31-0950.thumb.jpg.775ad2bad3dd26dc769d2ddc02829fdb.jpg

First thing I would like to do is dispel some of your pre conceived notions as these tend to make any effort futile as you are already defeating yourself.

1.Italians are a great line. Get the special commander for it though as this will make it even more powerful in so many ways if you are willing to put in the effort every match.

2. Russians do not need IFHE. Not even the CL really needs it and to be honest is a huge mistake to take it. Russian Cl at t10 can get a fire chance of 17% on a reload rate of 5.3s with 19km range. So what this means is you are a really annoying long range kiting ship that can operate well in advances and retreats and if you play the shim alternating between these two directional modes you can be a rather annoying thorn in most battle ships sides. Also 30mm he pen is fine as superstructures are generally less then 20 on all ships. The CA which is really closer to a Super cruiser is probably one of the most broken cruisers in the game that anyone can get. Its AP makes it more akin to say a Stalingrad, however since it is a cruiser it doesnt get the super cruiser dcp cooldown issue.

3. Des Moines has been a staple in this game since day one and will keep being one for 3 reasons. Rapid fire 8inch guns, 10km radar, and super heavy ap that has great pen angles that pretty much makes any soft angling by a cruiser pointless. The Worcester use to be an amazing anti air/ anti dd platform but both their communities cried and complained and nerfed it into the same relevance as the Atlanta. If you can master the terrain game you can eaisly make every other ship you can hits life a living hell, that is until the commander tree rework and then you are nothing more then a fragile aa platform that will get nuked in the first 5 minutes of the game when you are trying to support your team.

4.Germas are probably the best of all worlds combined when it comes to cruisers. Your AP is strong. Your HE is consistent and your armor is surprisingly durable at range

5. UK cl is a high skill ship, not for the fait of heart. UK CA is a very rough ship to play at t10, however if you play it similar to how you play say a IJN cruiser and most super cruisers you can easily do some extreme damage. Sadily though the UK Ca is extremely inconsistent.

6.The French are not bad at t10. In fact if you have the skill and practice it can do some disgusting things, like draw 4million potential damage and take none of it. It is however a high skill ship that will require some advance combat tactics and or a div to really make it shine.

Now I would caution you as coming soon the Commander skill rework is coming and Cruisers in general are gonna be shat on so keep that in mind.

As long as you practice and make a greater effort in fighting cruisers and dds and less of an effort damage farming on BBS you can easily turn any cruiser into a nightmare that can easily swing a game or recover your team from a loss.

• Cool 1

Players
2,810 posts
24,692 battles
15 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

At 3:

DM is still one of my favorite cruisers, if not even my absolute favorite. MvR got nerved so it might be a bit more random if you get your 20k chunk. 

Imho its worth to suffer through Balti and Buffalo. Maybe find a divison Partner (best case DD Main) who is willing to smoke you up. Eases the grind a lot. 

At 4:

York and Hipper are trash and quite the pain to grind. But Roon is great and fits perfectly in the high Tier kiting Meta with its turret layout.  Its worth it. 

Hinden is a great ship after the latest buffs and if you are able to get your hands on Lütjens put him there. With his skill procced (which is easy) and AR at half health you get base Cleveland reload with HE that can pen everything. I personally run it with IFHE but only because I hate Kremlins so much. 

Sidenote: Ever considered Wooster? The way there is rather painful but imo that ship is still worth it.

• Cool 2

[ATEEZ]
Players
47 posts
1,307 battles
51 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

I think I can help you.

shot-21_01_01_05_51.31-0950.thumb.jpg.775ad2bad3dd26dc769d2ddc02829fdb.jpg

First thing I would like to do is dispel some of your pre conceived notions as these tend to make any effort futile as you are already defeating yourself.

1.Italians are a great line. Get the special commander for it though as this will make it even more powerful in so many ways if you are willing to put in the effort every match.

2. Russians do not need IFHE. Not even the CL really needs it and to be honest is a huge mistake to take it. Russian Cl at t10 can get a fire chance of 17% on a reload rate of 5.3s with 19km range. So what this means is you are a really annoying long range kiting ship that can operate well in advances and retreats and if you play the shim alternating between these two directional modes you can be a rather annoying thorn in most battle ships sides. Also 30mm he pen is fine as superstructures are generally less then 20 on all ships. The CA which is really closer to a Super cruiser is probably one of the most broken cruisers in the game that anyone can get. Its AP makes it more akin to say a Stalingrad, however since it is a cruiser it doesnt get the super cruiser dcp cooldown issue.

3. Des Moines has been a staple in this game since day one and will keep being one for 3 reasons. Rapid fire 8inch guns, 10km radar, and super heavy ap that has great pen angles that pretty much makes any soft angling by a cruiser pointless. The Worcester use to be an amazing anti air/ anti dd platform but both their communities cried and complained and nerfed it into the same relevance as the Atlanta. If you can master the terrain game you can eaisly make every other ship you can hits life a living hell, that is until the commander tree rework and then you are nothing more then a fragile aa platform that will get nuked in the first 5 minutes of the game when you are trying to support your team.

4.Germas are probably the best of all worlds combined when it comes to cruisers. Your AP is strong. Your HE is consistent and your armor is surprisingly durable at range

5. UK cl is a high skill ship, not for the fait of heart. UK CA is a very rough ship to play at t10, however if you play it similar to how you play say a IJN cruiser and most super cruisers you can easily do some extreme damage. Sadily though the UK Ca is extremely inconsistent.

6.The French are not bad at t10. In fact if you have the skill and practice it can do some disgusting things, like draw 4million potential damage and take none of it. It is however a high skill ship that will require some advance combat tactics and or a div to really make it shine.

Now I would caution you as coming soon the Commander skill rework is coming and Cruisers in general are gonna be shat on so keep that in mind.

As long as you practice and make a greater effort in fighting cruisers and dds and less of an effort damage farming on BBS you can easily turn any cruiser into a nightmare that can easily swing a game or recover your team from a loss.

this is a huge help, thank you :) I think I'll go Italian, as I'm enjoying myself with the Trento. Feels like Japanese cruisers but with way slower torps and SAP. :P

[ATEEZ]
Players
47 posts
1,307 battles
31 minutes ago, Prophecy82 said:

At 3:

DM is still one of my favorite cruisers, if not even my absolute favorite. MvR got nerved so it might be a bit more random if you get your 20k chunk. 

Imho its worth to suffer through Balti and Buffalo. Maybe find a divison Partner (best case DD Main) who is willing to smoke you up. Eases the grind a lot. 

At 4:

York and Hipper are trash and quite the pain to grind. But Roon is great and fits perfectly in the high Tier kiting Meta with its turret layout.  Its worth it. 

Hinden is a great ship after the latest buffs and if you are able to get your hands on Lütjens put him there. With his skill procced (which is easy) and AR at half health you get base Cleveland reload with HE that can pen everything. I personally run it with IFHE but only because I hate Kremlins so much. 

Sidenote: Ever considered Wooster? The way there is rather painful but imo that ship is still worth it.

(sorry for double post mods)

I never really thought about it as I don't see it being talked about much, makes me have the feeling that's something wrong with it in the current meta. The line itself looks pretty fun to me except for the Seattle. I like the idea of parking up behind an island and just raining HE like a machine gun on my enemies. I know I'm kinda contradicting myself - I said I prefer more action packed gameplay rather than static island gameplay, but I think machine gunning my enemies more than makes up for it. ;) Heard amazing things about Helena and Cleveland!

Players
2,810 posts
24,692 battles

I like the idea of parking up behind an island and just raining HE like a machine gun on my enemies. I know I'm kinda contradicting myself - I said I prefer more action packed gameplay rather than static island gameplay, but I think machine gunning my enemies more than makes up for it. ;) Heard amazing things about Helena and Cleveland!

If you dont want, you dont have to... 

Wooster is imo better suited for kiting then DM... but I would always prefer an island. Yet you can go open water with wooster. 

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Players
1,239 posts
23,043 battles

Maybe I'm biased, but I think the Italians are very good if you don't ask too much of them.

They lack utility (radar, hydro...), but they can blap DDs and BBs with SAP and easily citadel cruisers with those accurate AP shells. Sansonetti with Expert Loader (and the perks for extra range and reload) is a great captain for the line.

The concealment is bad, and until the Venezia (reinforced lower belt) the ships are fairly squishy, but they're also maneuverable and they can smoke up to make otherwise dangerous turns. Just be mindful of your smoke firing penalty.

As for the USN, the T9s are just bland.

The Buffalo has an uncomfortable turret arrangement and, unlike the Baltimore, she can't stealth-radar. The Seattle is nothing special. Indeed, they're almost the only ships in the line (aside from the Dallas) that were never actually built.

Des Moines and Worcester are worth the grind though, imho, and Baltimore and Cleveland are nice as well, if you want to stop there.

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
2 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

Heard amazing things about Helena and Cleveland!

Helena was borderline OP before the IFHE rework. These days - meh. And it will become worse. Cleveland is problematic because of the current meta, where BBs often stay out of your range and if you try to get to them, a CV will teach you, what it means to play a cruiser these days. DM and Worcester need experianced captains (as in the player) to be really effective but then they are super strong.

Italian cruiser line starts to get interesting at T8 with Amalfi. Its also nice to use AP with that thingy. Venezia is absolutly OP if used right.

18 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

I considered the French, but after I saw how the Henri accelerates?

French cruiers are still my favourite amont the silver lines. Besides radar Mino, which is crazy in a division with a DD. But Henri ranks high among the top 3 silver cruisers for randoms in my book. About the germans, I full agree with what @Prophecy82 said. Roon and Hindenburg suit the current meta very well (as does Charles Martel - Saint Louis & Henri btw) and you cant go wrong if you know how to play them.

• Cool 2

Players
8,474 posts
9,386 battles

USN CA line is strong with some skill at positioning to stay alive, but can't say any ship after Omaha felt bad. And they got a good set of tools to get the job done. 

German is ok, jack of all trades designs that rely on their decent damage and survivability to matter. Apartfrom Hipper, pretty ok. USN for AP is imo way stronger, as is for HE half the time, but for just casual farming and burning, the Germans are pretty solid. 

Italians aren't bad, but depend on skill a lot. With enough skill, this line imo is the most consistent line I ever played, where tier and such doesn't matter, you do your damage and there is no fire rng. Just proper target selection. 

British heavies are good, don't just write them off. Range and speed might seem challenging, but the repair, concealment and having typically a decent set of guns can go a long way. Just, there's two kinds of Drake/Goliath players: those that need a superheal to hopefully survive the double/triple cit from bad positioning and then die a salvo later and those that just do not seem to ever die and end the match with an easy witherer and dreadnought. 

[BOATY]
Players
1,345 posts
16,693 battles
3 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

this is a huge help, thank you :) I think I'll go Italian, as I'm enjoying myself with the Trento. Feels like Japanese cruisers but with way slower torps and SAP. :P

later on it will get a decent dispersion and the smoke gimmick is a great get out of dodge tool. If you get a chance to get into the super cruisers Alaska is great as is Agir. Stalingrad is well broken.