You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LordBodoM

Some players...

15 comments in this topic

[17PRO]
Players
24 posts
9,556 battles

I just had an awesome match wich we won after a full 20 minutes of pure effort, concentration and skill.

Both teams were giving their best and no one played dirty. The game could have gone either way.

I'm convinced that I contributed alot to tip the balance in our favor, aspecially in the last few minutes, when every HP counted.

When you get 5 + votes on your karma after the game, as a CV (!), you know you did well.

And still, this happened when i got back to port: A player from my team started to rant at me in a PM.

I try to play all ships but with a slight favor to cv's, so i'm no stranger to ranters, reports and being blamed for all that goes wrong.

Most of the time these are dd-mains and/or players with little or no experience in CV gameplay, so that's like blaming the gods for a lightningstrike.

This dude however had plenty xp with higher tier cv's, so he should know what their strongpoints and ,more important, their limitations are.

I presume he got killed by an enemy dd and blamed me for not giving him the support he demanded.

He should know better but i'll state some facts and peculiarities of cv's for those who do not.

I'm posting this here, allthough it is partly about cv's, but it is directed to ALL players.

- There are (mostly) 12 players in a team. Sometimes you are important, often you are not.

- We can only command 1 squadron at a time so we can't be everywhere at the same time.

- It takes time to switch planes and get them where they are needed. I can't 'warp' them instantly to the other side of the map.

- I see your request for support, you do not need to spam it. Every request will be considered but if you are not a priority at the time, though luck.

- We have limited fighters so we have to choose carefully where and when to deploy them. I tend to save a few for later in the game when they really matter.

- Priorities change constantly. It can happen that I ack your request but change course along the way because something else gained Prio1.

- We tend to view the bigger picture of a battle so we sometimes do stuff you don't understand. Live with it or ask me after the battle why i did something.

- A very common case is this: 2-3 ships are closing in from a flank wich you so nicely attend me to by clicking like a madman on said region, yet i send my planes the other way, to a single target further away.

Having somewhere to run to is imprtant so sometimes i need to clear a flank first before i can engage the main threat. And yes, 90% of the time i consider my own safety Prio1. A dead CV cannot Support anyone.

- SPOTTING, also a major issue. I will spot as much as i can but it is not always worth it. Spending 5 minutes searching for a single dd while i could help secure an entire flank is often a waste of valuable time.

- CV's are the last ships to even see a dd. Air detection range is 2.5km average while sea-levels are +/- 6Km. Often the attack run is longer than the view range so we have to start the attack before we see it or we overshoot.

So, unless said dd is already spotted by someone else or makes mistakes like firing or sailing in a straight line (or is, like, French) it is close to impossible to hit it with most planes. So when an enemy dd who knows what he/she is doing uses its smoke and agilty to the max, i'm not going to spend half the match trying to kill him when i can be of more use elsewhere. Also, don't ask me to attack a flotilla with contains one or more of the following: Halland, Minotaur, 3 massachusets bunched up, etc, Just don't.

- Many more but you catch the drift, i hope...

ALSO: When you insult me for 5 minutes because i killed you and you end up in my team the next round, guess the odds of me complying to your demands...

Sorry for the long post.

Ow yeah, the stats of the match this post started with:

2020-12-31 (1).png

2020-12-31 (2).png

2020-12-31 (3).png

2020-12-31.png

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Players
314 posts
7,504 battles

Too many players subscribe religiously to the "reddit says CVs ruin the game for everyone", without knowing the facts.

Overpowered is being confused with omnipotent, 2 very different descriptions.

Are CVs strong, some overpowered in some situations, undoubtedly.

Can they dominate both sides of a map at the same time and do everything other players want, not a chance.

The hatred of a class of ship in a digital pixel game leading to abuse of other players just trying to enjoy a different method of playing is embarrassing and childish.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[NECRO]
Players
669 posts

Despite WG's best efforts to create instant unicums by providing new players with the finest ships money can buy and direct access to the highest tiers where they can develop outstanding skills by facing the toughest challenges, you will still encounter one or two players who failed their weekend crash course in "become-a-pro". Do not despair, because WG are utterly dedicated to constantly creating additional opportunities to spend money to reach the TX training ground asap, so those few exceptions with subpar skills will soon be nothing more than a sad memory.

LOL

• Cool 1

[THIR]
Players
910 posts
4,488 battles
14 minutes ago, LordBodoM said:

- CV's are the last ships to even see a dd. Air detection range is 2.5km average while sea-levels are +/- 6Km. Often the attack run is longer than the view range so we have to start the attack before we see it or we overshoot.

So, unless said dd is already spotted by someone else or makes mistakes like firing or sailing in a straight line (or is, like, French) it is close to impossible to hit it with most planes.

:Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 3

[SPURD]
Players
730 posts
5,595 battles

Are you sure you didn't mean to type "Every 300 PR DD player is god and I should listen to their tophat monocle advice and criticism!"?

[R3B3L]
Players
1,111 posts
31,510 battles

@LordBodoM

I would like to add my view as a not-anymore-CV-player: I never expect support from my CV because I am aware of the limitations you stated.

Exceptions are when I am the only DD in team or when I try to cap.

If I request AA-cover I accept a "Negative!" for answer. There are many reasons why you can not assist, be it other prio or fighters are used up.

What makes me sad are two situations I had yesterday:

A CV gave fighters to his divi-mate in Massachusetts which wasn´t even attacked, while our Kagero is L4Dead.

Or the guy that gave me constant fighter-cover (I was in Halland) while the Yugumo was constantly attacked... 🤷‍♂️

• Cool 1

[SWAMP]
Players
682 posts
3,671 battles

I find the fighters are quite limited in their ability to provide AA early on. It helps in the late game when for instance you have a key allied ship that must not go down, but other than that I prefer using fighters to proxy-spot a flank while I head of spotting the other flank, or early on near the entrance point to a cap (the entrance for the red DD). Nothing is as frustrating (as a DD) as having to either delay going into the cap or lighting yourself up to the enemy team during the first 2 minutes of the game, telling everyone on the red team where you are situated.

• Cool 1

[17PRO]
Players
24 posts
9,556 battles
1 hour ago, Itwastuesday said:

Are you sure you didn't mean to type "Every 300 PR DD player is god and I should listen to their tophat monocle advice and criticism!"?

It is a well known fact that every team is made up 12 players who all claim the other 11 are absolute morons.

• Funny 1

[CHAR]
Players
159 posts
2,469 battles

2 hours ago, LordBodoM said:

- There are (mostly) 12 players in a team. Sometimes you are important, often you are not.

Kind of. The CV will always be the most important and his target(s) the least important.

- We can only command 1 squadron at a time so we can't be everywhere at the same time. 

Right, I can only command one ship at a time, and if my ship could also only be damaged by passive damage, zip about with 200 knots and replenish its HP indefinitely, I think the other players in the game might complain.

- I see your request for support, you do not need to spam it. Every request will be considered but if you are not a priority at the time, though luck.

You are the only real counter to the enemy CV, so it's your job to keep it at bay.

I'm not bothering with answering all the other stuff. It has all been said a thousand times. Here's the gist:

Passive damage is dumb, there's little you can do against planes by shooting better or using your consumables in a smart way. There's little you can do to dodge their attacks either.

CVs encourage clumping, camping and disincentivize flanking making the game more boring. Overall they force a much more defensive playstyle, which there is already enough of in the game.

Ship fighters are somewhat buggy and very unreliable.

AA specialization is broken because you gimp your ship if the enemy has no carrier or it doesn't attack you.

CVs break spotting in a fundamental way (see point 2 as well).

CVs counter specific ship classes more than others, diminishing those classes' ability to influence the game.

Overall, an untouchable enemy that is only affected by passive damage, can only be somewhat countered by playing in a boring way and breaks multiple rules of the game is just poor design. If carriers had been suggested, developed and internally tested by any other studio, they would have been scrapped from the get-go and we might not have ever heard of their existence in the first place.

WG obviously won't remove them because mighty spreadsheet says that you're having fun, most we can do is complain and report.

• Cool 3

Players
424 posts

Some players think you have 50 squadrons out at the same time and can place a fighter plane above every player in a matter of seconds.

they also think that as soon as they request fire on a target your planes teleport there and provide fire support. They don’t realize or take into account travel time. Are you in B striking a BB? You are a moron because you should have been in C striking a BB. And if you are in C you are still a moron.

Bad bomb drop rng? You are a moron

you avoid striking a group of 5 ships due to AA? You are a moron.

is the enemy DD staying close to a Wooster for AA support? You are a moron.

if you are a CV and don’t insta kill the team in the first 5 seconds you are a moron and deserve a report.

I know I’ve been the moron many times

[JRM]
Players
7,195 posts

Basic problem is that there are loads of utter potatoes that need to be carried by their teams but they are convinced they are good and basically the most important member of team that should have the right to order everybody around...

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
3,947 posts
19,851 battles
2 hours ago, LordBodoM said:

So, unless said dd is already spotted by someone else or makes mistakes like firing or sailing in a straight line (or is, like, French) it is close to impossible to hit it with most planes.

Strange .. the odd times I play CV the enemy DDs are usually the first to be spotted and sunk. :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[17PRO]
Players
24 posts
9,556 battles
2 hours ago, lup3s said:

Strange .. the odd times I play CV the enemy DDs are usually the first to be spotted and sunk. :cap_hmm:

It all depends on the speed of your planes and wich dd are in play. It used to be too easy, i agree, but since the reduction of the Air-Detection range some ships are only visible when you are almost on top of them.

Kaga, for example, is easyer to engage dd's with than the Lexington. A Fantasque is easyer to spot than a Lightning. I had rounds where i killed 3 dd's in 2 minutes and i had games when I couldn't hit Jack crap.

I'm not complaining about all of this, btw. I was only pointing out rude behaviour and wild expectations.

• Funny 1

[RODS]
Players
1,594 posts
7,703 battles
6 hours ago, LordBodoM said:

I just had an awesome match wich we won after a full 20 minutes of pure effort, concentration and skill.

Both teams were giving their best and no one played dirty. The game could have gone either way.

I'm convinced that I contributed alot to tip the balance in our favor, aspecially in the last few minutes, when every HP counted.

When you get 5 + votes on your karma after the game, as a CV (!), you know you did well.

And still, this happened when i got back to port: A player from my team started to rant at me in a PM.

I try to play all ships but with a slight favor to cv's, so i'm no stranger to ranters, reports and being blamed for all that goes wrong.

Most of the time these are dd-mains and/or players with little or no experience in CV gameplay, so that's like blaming the gods for a lightningstrike.

This dude however had plenty xp with higher tier cv's, so he should know what their strongpoints and ,more important, their limitations are.

I presume he got killed by an enemy dd and blamed me for not giving him the support he demanded.

He should know better but i'll state some facts and peculiarities of cv's for those who do not.

I'm posting this here, allthough it is partly about cv's, but it is directed to ALL players.

- It takes time to switch planes and get them where they are needed. I can't 'warp' them instantly to the other side of the map.

- We have limited fighters so we have to choose carefully where and when to deploy them. I tend to save a few for later in the game when they really matter.

- Priorities change constantly. It can happen that I ack your request but change course along the way because something else gained Prio1.

- We tend to view the bigger picture of a battle so we sometimes do stuff you don't understand. Live with it or ask me after the battle why i did something.

- A very common case is this: 2-3 ships are closing in from a flank wich you so nicely attend me to by clicking like a madman on said region, yet i send my planes the other way, to a single target further away.

Having somewhere to run to is imprtant so sometimes i need to clear a flank first before i can engage the main threat. And yes, 90% of the time i consider my own safety Prio1. A dead CV cannot Support anyone.

- SPOTTING, also a major issue. I will spot as much as i can but it is not always worth it. Spending 5 minutes searching for a single dd while i could help secure an entire flank is often a waste of valuable time.

So, unless said dd is already spotted by someone else or makes mistakes like firing or sailing in a straight line (or is, like, French) it is close to impossible to hit it with most planes. So when an enemy dd who knows what he/she is doing uses its smoke and agilty to the max, i'm not going to spend half the match trying to kill him when i can be of more use elsewhere. Also, don't ask me to attack a flotilla with contains one or more of the following: Halland, Minotaur, 3 massachusets bunched up, etc, Just don't.

- Many more but you catch the drift, i hope...

ALSO: When you insult me for 5 minutes because i killed you and you end up in my team the next round, guess the odds of me complying to your demands...

Sorry for the long post.

Ow yeah, the stats of the match this post started with:

2020-12-31 (1).png

2020-12-31 (2).png

2020-12-31 (3).png

2020-12-31.png

Haha

I hate :etc_swear:ing CV:s but..

Dont worry about the whiners