Feline_Scholar

New ranked battles = discrimination for disabled players!

45 comments in this topic

Players
33 posts
4,400 battles

I loved the old ranked season and ranked sprint but this new rework has overlooked disabled players such as myself who can’t play as many games as necessary

to rank out before the time limit expires and resets me back to rank 7.  I personally only play ranked when I feel well enough and can play to decent standard as I know people take it more seriously than random battles and can get frustrated when someone like myself no matter how unintentionally  lets the time down and they lose a star.  

Where in old ranked I could take my time over a few weeks and dip in when I was up to playing well I now feel discriminated against because I can’t play enough games within the time limit and punished for my disability.  I feel disappointed that wargaming have not thought about its disabled players or those with busy lives and effectively excluded us from getting past the bronze league.  I have spoken to a few disabled players and they feel the same way we have been over looked for the elite players.  I would therefore ask wargaming to rethink the resetting of time limit.

• Cool 14
  • Boring 3

[PWN3D]
Beta Tester
709 posts
19,417 battles

I do not have  a disability but as a clan leader, I can say that is obviously an issue for some of my members and I would expect that there are far more playing elsewhere in the game.  Is WG (inadvertently) breaking its own T&C's by testing this style of Ranked?

• Cool 5

[PWN3D]
Players
6 posts
15,150 battles

Yes the new rank system is too short for players who can't play everyday, for whatever reason.

• Cool 4

[PWN3D]
Beta Tester
709 posts
19,417 battles
3 minutes ago, ARESGB said:

Yes the new rank system is too short for players who can't play everyday, for whatever reason.

but that is  a feature of the new system (perhaps deliberate to encourage additional play) not a barrier to certain parts of the WOWS community.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
11,762 posts
9,748 battles
1 hour ago, Feline_Scholar said:

excluded us from getting past the bronze league

Why do you want to go there tho?

Thats why they made a 3-league system, so people who play only a few games (or those who are not good at this game), can stay in bronze to get a few rewards there. By going to Silver and gold, you have to play MUCH more, and the rewards you get compared to Bronze are miniscule.

I agree, that effortwise its worse than before, but if you cant play that many games to begin with, i doubt you will notice much of a difference. Just try to get 3/6/8 wins in Bronze per week, so you get Steel. If you get to R1 in Bronze, you get Steel+Doubloons. If you cant get a few wins per week, where would that have left you with the old system?

1 hour ago, Feline_Scholar said:

I personally only play ranked when I feel well enough and can play to decent standard as I know people take it more seriously than random battles and can get frustrated when someone like myself no matter how unintentionally  lets the time down and they lose a star.  

Again, thats why we have 3 leagues now. Supposedly, better players should advance into Silver and Gold league, so that you have different types of skills in each league. Ofc that doesnt work really, but you cant feel more discouraged when the others around you have the same skill level as you.

Even if you would try to advance into silver, you would probably get no rewards at all under the current system...

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Players
1 post

It is case quite often, that some events are not finishable, when your game time is limited. And it won't change, no matter what WG do. WOWS is not the only thing in the world.

I believe, that WG should consider helping disabled with their matters with the game, I thinkk the game can be good help with releasing their stress.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-OOF-]
Players
345 posts
6,504 battles
2 minutes ago, janstr_steel said:

It is case quite often, that some events are not finishable, when your game time is limited. And it won't change, no matter what WG do. WOWS is not the only thing in the world.

I believe, that WG should consider helping disabled with their matters with the game, I thinkk the game can be good help with releasing their stress.

why should every event be completable with any amount of time no matter how small? The people who can't spend enough time for these events are missing out but there will always be people that miss out on events, that's pretty much by design.

Players
33 posts
4,400 battles

My point is with old ranked people could progress with this reset feature it doesn’t allow people to go at there own pace.
For a lot of disabled players myself included it feels very much that wargaming has not thought the time limit reset though and therefore discriminated against us as well as those with limited time to play – not everyone can spend all day grinding some people have jobs and family’s and also the restricted hours is hard for those who play later in evening or early morning due to real life commitments. I do not see the point of example getting to rank 4 only to get reset to rank 7 its demoralizing.   

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Players
33 posts
4,400 battles
47 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Why do you want to go there tho?

Thats why they made a 3-league system, so people who play only a few games (or those who are not good at this game), can stay in bronze to get a few rewards there. By going to Silver and gold, you have to play MUCH more, and the rewards you get compared to Bronze are miniscule.

I agree, that effortwise its worse than before, but if you cant play that many games to begin with, i doubt you will notice much of a difference. Just try to get 3/6/8 wins in Bronze per week, so you get Steel. If you get to R1 in Bronze, you get Steel+Doubloons. If you cant get a few wins per week, where would that have left you with the old system?

Again, thats why we have 3 leagues now. Supposedly, better players should advance into Silver and Gold league, so that you have different types of skills in each league. Ofc that doesnt work really, but you cant feel more discouraged when the others around you have the same skill level as you.

Even if you would try to advance into silver, you would probably get no rewards at all under the current system...

My point is with old ranked people could progress with this reset feature it doesn’t allow people to go at there own pace.
For a lot of disabled players myself included it feels very much that wargaming has not thought the time limit reset though and therefore discriminated against us as well as those with limited time to play – not everyone can spend all day grinding some people have jobs and family’s and also the restricted hours is hard for those who play later in evening or early morning due to real life commitments. I do not see the point of example getting to rank 4 only to get reset to rank 7 its demoralizing and badly thought out.  

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[LSCA]
Players
1,518 posts
12,280 battles

what you complaining anyway, to you even look the gold one? for actually rank out at there you must be a very good player or allot luck. also price you get even if you lose

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-5D-]
[-5D-]
Players
18 posts
1,231 battles

If it's going to be short seasons like this, at least make it so you don't lose rank with losses.

• Cool 1

[LSCA]
Players
1,518 posts
12,280 battles
2 minutes ago, 01Haiku said:

If it's going to be short seasons like this, at least make it so you don't lose rank with losses.

how its short? it runs over month

[HFHH]
Players
314 posts
17,410 battles
36 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

what you complaining anyway, to you even look the gold one? for actually rank out at there you must be a very good player or allot luck. also price you get even if you lose

why should NOT Disabled people want to go above and beyond, are you implying that gold is only for the likes of you??

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[LSCA]
Players
1,518 posts
12,280 battles
4 minutes ago, Stronginthearms said:

why should NOT Disabled people want to go above and beyond, are you implying that gold is only for the likes of you??

no, i mean that gold is hard like hell, and if they would mix those all 3 what difference it makes, you not have time play anyway soo you not able rank out

Players
415 posts
6,036 battles
Vor 50 Minuten, Feline_Scholar sagte:

For a lot of disabled players myself included it feels very much that wargaming has not thought the time limit reset though and therefore discriminated against us as well as those with limited time to play – not everyone can spend all day grinding some people have jobs and family’s and also the restricted hours is hard for those who play later in evening or early morning due to real life commitments. I do not see the point of example getting to rank 4 only to get reset to rank 7 its demoralizing.   

I think you see that wrong. it absolutely does allow you to play at your own pace. It's just the concept that changes compared to the previous ranked. 

previously it was a time-limited event, with the goal to reach rank one. To get there you had to play a lot, or you don't reach rank one and get fewer rewards. 

Now, it's a permanent game mode, more like randoms. You play when you feel like, and if you don't want to play one or two weeks that's irrelevant now, as its basically a permanent mode. 

The goal, however, is not to reach gold rank one. There are three leagues, each designed for a certain group of players. bronze with low time effort, for players that play here and then when they feel like or have time. That's your group. Silver and gold work respectively. The main reward, steel, is given for wins instead of ranks now. reaching rank one in whatever league does give you extra rewards, but its everything but necessary. 

Tldr.: It's not a single event where the goal is to reach rank one, it's a permanent system in which every player can choose the amount he/she wants to play, and it gives rewards according to this.

I think you are still a bit stuck in the old concept behind ranked. If your personal goal is to reach gold 1 every week, you will have to grind it hard. Or be happy with whatever rank whatever. from a resource pov, its more efficient to just stick to bronze anyway.

• Bad 2

[HFHH]
Players
314 posts
17,410 battles
12 minutes ago, firerider202 said:

I think you see that wrong. it absolutely does allow you to play at your own pace. It's just the concept that changes compared to the previous ranked. 

previously it was a time-limited event, with the goal to reach rank one. To get there you had to play a lot, or you don't reach rank one and get fewer rewards. 

Now, it's a permanent game mode, more like randoms. You play when you feel like, and if you don't want to play one or two weeks that's irrelevant now, as its basically a permanent mode. 

The goal, however, is not to reach gold rank one. There are three leagues, each designed for a certain group of players. bronze with low time effort, for players that play here and then when they feel like or have time. That's your group. Silver and gold work respectively. The main reward, steel, is given for wins instead of ranks now. reaching rank one in whatever league does give you extra rewards, but its everything but necessary. 

Tldr.: It's not a single event where the goal is to reach rank one, it's a permanent system in which every player can choose the amount he/she wants to play, and it gives rewards according to this.

I think you are still a bit stuck in the old concept behind ranked. If your personal goal is to reach gold 1 every week, you will have to grind it hard. Or be happy with whatever rank whatever. from a resource pov, its more efficient to just stick to bronze anyway.

your the one who is missing the point matey, the point is or was you could get to rank one , now you have a chance at a LOWE level one

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Beta Tester
149 posts

but Remember, Wargaming loves disabled players, they made the whole PR grind for us last Christmas .... or something 

• Funny 3

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,602 posts
13,884 battles
12 hours ago, Feline_Scholar said:

For a lot of disabled players myself included it feels very much that wargaming has not thought the time limit reset though and therefore discriminated against us as well as those with limited time to play – not everyone can spend all day grinding some people have jobs and family’s and also the restricted hours is hard for those who play later in evening or early morning due to real life commitments. I do not see the point of example getting to rank 4 only to get reset to rank 7 its demoralizing and badly thought out.  

I ma call it right here,

If i can do this in  20 games over 7 Days you can do it in 20 Games over 7 days.

You played 24 Randombattles over 2 Days. I honestly and i am trying to be as polite as possible here can see how this sprint season is discriminating you and or other players.

I am not disabled but i usually have to work long times over the week and I can appreciate the format as beeing a step forward to the endless hell of rank 5 bimbos that have no buisness beeing there but spamming enough games to get there.

drawing the disability and discrimination card on that end wins you no sympathy points with me personally. Ranked is individual competion and competetive play means you have to take time to play. It is just like that. End of story. 

Sad , hard but truth.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[NWP]
Players
3,154 posts
17,394 battles

I still don't see what this has to do with disabled players? 

Not being able to play is called life: some ppl have busy jobs, others have a busy family life and others have hobbies that prevent them from playing.

Calling this a discrimination to disabled players is low. Very low.

If if truly were discrimination you'd have my sympathies, but abusing this card is not done.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 5

Players
415 posts
6,036 battles
Vor 14 Stunden, Stronginthearms sagte:

your the one who is missing the point matey, the point is or was you could get to rank one , now you have a chance at a LOWE level one

The point was that OP can't play enough to get gold one. That was not possible before, it's not possible now. Playing a game here and then was never enough to reach rank one.

You can just play the bronze league every week and get good rewards. I already tried to explain that, if you are only keen on the rewards, the bronze league is the best league for it basically. you basically get more rewards per game, as you get good rewards for significantly fewer games then you get the best rewards in gold league for. I really don't see an issue here, if anything this system is slightly better then the previous one for people that can play much. 

• Cool 4

Players
29 posts
66 battles

For the most part, I like the new set up - In past i would usually rank out between 8-10, made it to 5th once. I put together a youtube tips/strategy video for this new system because it is so different. I won't link it here, this isn't my thread ;)  but search my name if interested. 

- First, I very much like the idea we will have a semi permanent new battle mode - it is much needed.

- Next, majority the rewards do not actually require us to rank out. just win games - Bronze gets steel & cammo for 3-6-8 victories - ranking gives some 200 doubloons , 100 steel and 1000 coal. So other than bragging rights, 3/4 of the awards can be attained simply by winning 8 matches in Bronze each week. Very attainable for most of us. 

- I am also optimistic over time having a permanent competitive mode will aid some captains playing skill - I pray for this at least,  as most of us have witnessed so many making beginner level mistakes over and over this ranked experience.

- I like the mixed tier system, but silver should be exclusively 9 - not mixed 9-10 until the challenge. Have us change up the ships we play, broaden the experience and ad some variety to the competition

- The reason i stayed in Bronze was time - but also - I have 352 ships in my port on my NA account - I played 29 different ships in the 32 games , a very quick way to blow off snow Flakes this ranked is!  AND, in choosing which ships/types to play, I looked at the missions requirements in the dockyard,  Strasbourg, & Ships and fates campaigns.  I had completed this weeks missions by end of day for all of these the day they unlocked :) 

A couple thoughts from my Video - Bronze is where the majority of players should stay - mostly for time reasons, but also ability/skill. I am more than capable to rank out silver, But for time reasons, I decided to stayed in Bronze & managed to rank out playing 16 games in each week. 11W 5L with 3 save a stars each - Quite fortunate to say the least. 

Bronze has several irrevocable ranks meaning if we have a bad streak we do not fall back much , While in Silver you need 3 straight wins to get to rank 5, the only irrevocable rank for silver - Then 9 straight wins to rank out - EVERY week for 5 weeks - including the current one. Bronze is for the players who finished rank 18-10 in the old system. 

Lets put my current bronze ranked experience into numbers - IF somehow I managed to maintain my current 68% WR in ranked through all 6 seasons, but decided to move to silver the last 4 weeks. It would take nearly 30 battles to rank out silver vs the 16 in Bronze. Twice the effort for 100 doubloons and 2000 coal each week.  - The extra rewards are far too weak to justify the extra time sink - Bragging rights would be nice I suppose.  However, most players myself included would not likely maintain a 68% WR in silver so will require closer to 40-50 matches EVERY week moving to silver to rank out - That is a lot of playing.  Silver is a league for players who regularly finished  the old system around the 6-9 ranks.

Gold league - NO ONE should be pushing into that unless you have momentous free time and are a great player + Finished at rank 1-5 regularly in the old rank system. This Gold is comparable to the old in games required to complete - perhaps even more intense because of the 10 stages and lots of stars with not enough irrevocable ranks. It is hard core.

- All of the above considered, I feel the rewards have been cut too much this ranked season considering the # of games required for a 6 week period are FAR FAR higher than the old system. 

This season the maximum Steel is 3300 vs 5500 of Rank 1 in the old system and good players could get there in 150-200 battles. This season anyone advancing as far as possible each week will require far more games than this,  and also consider the missing rewards of past seasons - We are missing several hundred signal flags and the the flags from rank 10 & 5  to reduce post battle repair, 10 % 20% respectively that the old ranked system had. 

- This system is a test, so I will stay optimistic on seeing it improved in the next ranked season.  Rewards need to be vastly improved going forward if this battle mode is going to remain popular. It consumes signal flags at an alarming rate with the quick battles. In the old system, with the starter ranks from previous seasons, I often made rank 10 with as little as 6 battles and received 100's of signal flags steel, doubloons and such. I will need to run near 100 though the 6 weeks to get a fraction of the rewards. 

Plenty of opportunity for improvement here. 

• Cool 2

Players
11 posts
18,869 battles
11 hours ago, DasTongle said:

I ma call it right here,

If i can do this in  20 games over 7 Days you can do it in 20 Games over 7 days.

You played 24 Randombattles over 2 Days.

100% this. I hit rank 1 in bronze in a few hours. Rank 1 in silver took an afternoon. You have a week. 

Claiming this is in some way discrimination because you play less than some is nonsense. People have families, jobs, and other commitments. Everyone’s play time varies. But if you have the skill it’s achievable and that’s entirely the point of this new system. 

Old ranked was just randoms by a different name. Top 5 ranks were just a mix of unicums and 40% wr players who’d done 1500 games. 
IMO this new ranked is much closer to a proper competitive mode but if anything is currently giving too much time for people to progress. 

• Cool 1

[PWN3D]
Beta Tester
709 posts
19,417 battles
On 12/31/2020 at 9:45 AM, 159Hunter said:

I still don't see what this has to do with disabled players? 

Not being able to play is called life: some ppl have busy jobs, others have a busy family life and others have hobbies that prevent them from playing.

Calling this a discrimination to disabled players is low. Very low.

If if truly were discrimination you'd have my sympathies, but abusing this card is not done.

this is a  truly disgusting post.  

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[PGT2P]
Players
103 posts
7,496 battles
31 minutes ago, Peffers said:

this is a  truly disgusting post.  

The fact is... people without a certain disability usually find it impossible to imagine, or even begin to realise, the effect of that disability, and we have a "ready, willing and 'able'" culture which isn't much interested in perfecting sympathy, so people end up posting, "truly disgusting post(s)"... in fact, most people suffer from a lack of compassion.  OP doesn't seem to complain about the rewards, which most of the above responses discuss/focus on, but the fact that the new system makes it impossible for OP to progress beyond bronze... imagine, if you played the game and wanted simply to work at ranked battles and see how far you could make it?  What's denied is the ability to progress... forget about the steel/coal/doubloon rewards and instead think about how it feels to never make it off the bottom.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1