Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FlamingHooligan

Steel choices...

20 comments in this topic

Players
66 posts
7,303 battles

G'day Gents, Probably another horse that's beaten to death, so please forgive me in advance.:Smile_hiding:  I finally after a protracted squirrelling away of steel I have the funds to purchase my first steel ship. 

For the longest time the Stalingrad was on my list as my grail ship but then Shikashima turned up. I will preface by saying that I truly enjoy the Yamato/Musashi and their play style, on the other hand, I also thoroughly enjoy the Moskva and Kronstadt which I hear are akin to the Stalin's play style, in particular the Moskva.

Not interest in the other offerings (Sommers, Bourgogne, Plymouth or FDR) for the moment. It is also likely not to be my last steel purchase but it will probably be a long time between drinks before I can afford another if you get my meaning.

Not in a clan that actively competes in clans, unfortunately (would love to) but do dabble in ranked when I can. if that helps.

Any insight from owners of the above would be greatly appreciated.

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,790 posts
39,277 battles

Because the ranked will be available almost all the time means you can gather steel way easier. And also daily missions steel 40 per day. 

So maybe you'll gather that steel in the entire year + next year snowflake event you can get another ship. 

Well if you are determined to get the Shikishima then get it. Austin will be in few months released for steel, a T10 Atlanta hull with way stronger AA and different type of guns that shoots HE or SAP. Idk if you would want that one. 

Vampire II probably will be for free exp (after Smaland will be out) . Kitakami probably for research points. So nothing will be for steel for really long time. So get your Shikishima, you can even make her meme secondary build that will be working and because of the better reload on 100mm guns - more funny. Plus better AA cause you'll be getting mid range aura which was lacking in Yamato (although T10 CVs will still be having not a big deal to attack you - the T8 ones will feel it more). 

• Cool 1

Players
66 posts
7,303 battles
1 hour ago, MacArthur92 said:

Because the ranked will be available almost all the time + you can gather steel way easier. And also daily missions steel 40 per day. 

So maybe you'll gather that steel in the entire year + next year snowflake event you can get another ship. 

Well if you are determined to get the Shikishima then get it. Austin will be in few months released for steel, a T10 Atlanta hull with way stronger AA and different type of guns that shoots HE or SAP. Idk if you would want that one. 

Vampire II probably will be for free exp (after Smaland will be out) . Kitakami probably for research points. So nothing will be for steel for really long time. So get your Shikishima, you can even make her meme secondary build that will be working and because of the better reload on 100mm guns - more funny. Plus better AA cause you'll be getting mid range aura which was lacking in Yamato (although T10 CVs will still be having not a big deal to attack you - the T8 ones will feel it more). 

I suppose you are right being that steel is easier to obtain nowadays. Another option could be to hang on to the steel and wait and see. I would hate for the Stalin to be pulled and not get it TBH. 

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,274 posts
13,396 battles

MVR and the commander skill rework turned me off getting the Stalingrad. I went for Bourgogne and do not regret my choice.

Bourgogne is almost like a cruiser in that you’ll use HE and AP. It’s reload booster makes it very dangerous.

• Cool 1

Players
2,374 posts
32,092 battles
5 hours ago, FlamingHooligan said:

G'day Gents, Probably another horse that's beaten to death, so please forgive me in advance.:Smile_hiding:  I finally after a protracted squirrelling away of steel I have the funds to purchase my first steel ship. 

For the longest time the Stalingrad was on my list as my grail ship but then Shikashima turned up. I will preface by saying that I truly enjoy the Yamato/Musashi and their play style, on the other hand, I also thoroughly enjoy the Moskva and Kronstadt which I hear are akin to the Stalin's play style, in particular the Moskva.

Not interest in the other offerings (Sommers, Bourgogne, Plymouth or FDR) for the moment. It is also likely not to be my last steel purchase but it will probably be a long time between drinks before I can afford another if you get my meaning.

Not in a clan that actively competes in clans, unfortunately (would love to) but do dabble in ranked when I can. if that helps.

Any insight from owners of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Since you you don’t play competitive and like Yamato/Musashi style go for Shikishima.

• Cool 1

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
108 posts
5,186 battles

I have do make the same decision. 🙁

Balansgrad seems to be a nobrainer.

Somers is being pulled soon.

Everybody seems to like Bourgogne, but I don‘t really know about her strength.

can‘t make a decision. ☹️

• Cool 1

Players
596 posts
6,778 battles

I am also torn between Bourgogne and FDR. I have no French BB captain. FDR seems good, but I find the torps meh and the rockets are said to be useless? Stalin, I don't like at all, but seems strong? Decisions,  decisions...

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
11,699 posts
9,731 battles
1 hour ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Stalin, I don't like at all,

Dont get something which you dont like.

I got Stalin first because reaons, its really not much fun in randoms. It was very strong in CBs, but even that was over when Petro was released.

With the captain rework, it will get nerfed aswell. Could take it for ranked ofc, but thats atleast silver league, and Stalin really doesnt like CVs.

1 hour ago, tyco said:

Everybody seems to like Bourgogne, but I don‘t really know about her strength.

Bourgogne is JB + Alsace in better. Very fast and spike DPM thanks to reload booster. Cruisers will get punished easily, and if a BB angles you can get permafires on demand.

• Cool 2

Players
596 posts
6,778 battles
22 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Dont get something which you dont like.

I got Stalin first because reaons, its really not much fun in randoms. It was very strong in CBs, but even that was over when Petro was released.

With the captain rework, it will get nerfed aswell. Could take it for ranked ofc, but thats atleast silver league, and Stalin really doesnt like CVs.

Bourgogne is JB + Alsace in better. Very fast and spike DPM thanks to reload booster. Cruisers will get punished easily, and if a BB angles you can get permafires on demand.

Thanks.

Anyone have opinions on the FDR? I am not talking about OP or not, but if it is fun. I play CVs to hunt DDs, to be mobile and I probably prefer alpha to over-time damage. I am average at best. As an opponent, I've seen the torps just tickle (unless I eat all of them) and the rockets are supposed to be useless? So just bomb, DoT, repeat? Even if OP this sounds pretty boring... 

• Cool 1

[PANEU]
Players
16 posts
10,564 battles

I'd hold off any purchases for now until the captain rework hits. Stalingrad in particular - which has already been made almost obsolete in clan battles due to the presence of CVs and Petro - will be hit hard by the loss of survivability skills such as Fire Prevention.

Shikishima is generally acknowledged to be a slightly worse version of Yamato, losing three barrels and access to the legendary module in exchange for 35mm overmatch and faster reload. The problem with that trade is that very few ships in the game have armour that falls within the 33-35mm bracket, and some of them aren't even within your match-making spread (e.g. Fuso). What Shikishima overmatches, Yamato also does 99% of the time.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
11,699 posts
9,731 battles
32 minutes ago, MatZam said:

Yamato also does 99% of the time. 

AFAIK its only Riga, which has 35 mm midsection, everything else is either 32mm or 38mm and more.

1 hour ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Anyone have opinions on the FDR? I am not talking about OP or not, but if it is fun. I play CVs to hunt DDs, to be mobile and I probably prefer alpha to over-time damage. I am average at best. As an opponent, I've seen the torps just tickle (unless I eat all of them) and the rockets are supposed to be useless? So just bomb, DoT, repeat? Even if OP this sounds pretty boring... 

Dont think those rockets are useful against DDs at all. On the other hand, the Bombs are hitting hard, but need skill to hit a DD, see Erazers FDR vid (1:20 or so against the Halland)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsUYAEQ5-iA

For average players, i think FDR is better than other CVs, because the planes are so tanky. For damage output, i guess others are better. Btw i dont have FDR, but from what @El2aZeR has been saying, he rather prefers Midway in randoms. Ofc most peoples experience differs from his :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 3

[PANEU]
Players
16 posts
10,564 battles
6 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

AFAIK its only Riga, which has 35 mm midsection, everything else is either 32mm or 38mm and more

Yes exactly. It would have been interesting to see if the meta in the recent CB season would have changed at all had Petropavlovsk's deck remained the same thickness as Riga's, rather than increasing to 50mm.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,756 posts
17,320 battles

Hi all,

Last year I got "Stalingrad" and this year I will get "Bourgogne" after I finish all the Snowflaking...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 3

Players
66 posts
7,303 battles

The Commander rework has me a bit worried, the more I look at it and add to that the substantial investment of steel for these ships which isn't insignificant. The more I get the feeling I should hold off for the moment and keep my Steel banked rather than end up with a useless target Barge.

I might use the coupon for coal and get myself the Marceau instead for the discount ( Was saving for Philippe Auboyneau but it looks like buying special commanders need to be handled carefully with the upcoming changes also). and reassess in 6 months when the new coupon arrives.

Thank you all who commented, You have given me food for thought. :cap_like:

[VIBES]
Players
375 posts
17,804 battles

Unless you often spend coal on camos/modules/signals, I'd save the coupon for steel ships, as coal is easier to obtain.

Imho you should consider your captain situation: if you're into farming free cpt xp, it makes more sense to pick a ship you already have an 18-19 point captain for.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of free cpt xp to spare and you're looking for more gameplay variety, you might pick something different altogether.

To give you an idea, I could've gone for Ohio, Slava or something else from the Research Bureau, but I picked the Yolo Emilio because she seemed more unique, even though it meant starting a captain from scratch. The Ohio was kinda similar to the Georgia; the Slava to the Iowa, I guess.

The Shikishima has a few tricks up her sleeve (better secondaries, AA and rudder) the Yammy doesn't have, but even though the DPM is similar, with fewer guns she can feel more frustrating, as well.

Since she allows some variety in her build, she's probably less likely to disappoint you after the rework, compared with ships that basically only have one way of playing them.

Cheers.

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,871 battles

You like Yamato more then Moskva or not?

Then you know the answer. 

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,871 battles
23 hours ago, FlamingHooligan said:

I would hate for the Stalin to be pulled and not get it TBH. 

Petropavlovsk is as good as Stalingrad and you can get it for silver. 

• Cool 1

Players
66 posts
7,303 battles
43 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Petropavlovsk is as good as Stalingrad and you can get it for silver. 

I am actually well on my way to this grind and am halfway through the Tallin. I suspect it might be an idea to expedite this grind if cruisers are subject to be poo after the rework.

1 hour ago, 22cm said:

You'd think it was that simple and normally I am more than decisive but on this occasion, I am struggling, Hence the thread. :fish_nerv:

Players
66 posts
7,303 battles
On 12/31/2020 at 1:19 PM, 22cm said:

You do have a point there. I pulled the trigger on the Shikishima and could not be happier.. Time to start saving for Stalin.

Thanks for all who contributed! Happy Newyear!

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this