YabbaCoe

0.9.12 - Updates to Ranked Battles System

79 comments in this topic

[WG]
WG Staff
6,103 posts
4,486 battles

WG_SPB_WoWS_Infographic_Release_0912_Ranked_Upd_1200x240.jpg

Update 0.9.12 sees a large-scale update of the Ranked Battles system and gives start to a test Season of the new Ranked Battles.

Key features of the new system

• Ranked Battles seasons are now going to be held on a regular basis with short breaks between each one. This will mean that you can choose between Random, Co-op, and Ranked Battles, as the latter battle type will be more regularly available.
  • Each season is divided into several sprints. The duration of a single sprint is approximately 1–3 weeks, and this may differ from season to season.
  • During a single sprint, players can only progress through their current league and qualify for the next one.
  • Demonstrate your skills in the qualification, during which you'll fight against players from the next league to determine whether you'll progress to the next league or stay in your current one.
  • The leagues are more tailored to your preferences:
    • You can progress through the Bronze League at a smooth and leisurely pace.
    • The Silver League offers bigger rewards, but will require more effort.
    • The Gold League is the best option for the most experienced players who want to collect the most impressive haul of rewards.
  • Ranked Battles aren't available to play during the hours of least activity. This is necessary to ensure high-quality matchmaking.

Rewards in brief

• The rewards are refreshed and updated for each new sprint and can be collected again—fight in your preferred league over and over again, and you'll collect rewards every time.
  • Rewards are granted for achieving victories, reaching Rank 1, and qualifying.
  • Steel hasn't gone anywhere: achieve victories, reach Rank 1, and accrue it to spend on items you desire in the Armory.
  • Doubloons are granted as a reward in each league—the higher the league, the more doubloons you can get.
  • New themed camouflages and achievements in each of the leagues.
  • Ranked Tokens are awarded each time you reach Rank 1 in the Gold League. In Update 0.9.11, the cost of permanent camouflages available in exchange for Ranked Tokens has changed, and the number of Tokens on player accounts has increased by a factor of four.

Test season

060b5fb0-4052-11eb-8cc3-8cdcd4b147d4.jpg

ime:

• CIS: 06:00 — 23:00 UTC
  • NA: 16:00 — 09:00 UTC
  • ASIA: 01:00 — 18:00 UTC
  • EU: 08:00 — 01:00 UTC

Format:

• 7 vs. 7
  • Tier VIII in the Bronze League
  • Tiers IX–X in the Silver League
  • Tier X in the Gold League

Season structure

Six sprints, each lasting 1 week. Each next sprint starts immediately after the end of the previous one.

During the Season, you can participate in no more than six sprints in the Bronze League, or five in the Silver League, or four in the Gold League.

Sprint rewards

Bronze League: up to 400 Steel; up to 200 doubloons; up to 1,000 Coal; up to 5x Bronze camouflages; and up to 5x "Type 3 — Ranked" camouflages.

Silver League: up to 500 Steel; up to 300 doubloons; up to 3,000 Coal; up to 3x Bronze camouflages; up to 3x Silver camouflages; and up to 10x "Type 3 — Ranked" camouflages.

Gold League: up to 600 Steel; up to 400 doubloons; up to 5,000 Coal; up to 3x Bronze camouflages; up to 3x Silver camouflages; up to 8x Gold camouflages; and one Ranked Token.

This Season is the test Season for the new Ranked Battles system. We'll keep an eye on how it goes and monitor your feedback. Following the test Season, additional changes may be made to the new Ranked Battles system in order to improve it. In future seasons, the format, rewards, combat missions associated with Ranked Battles, and other details may differ from the current ones.

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[-SHT-]
Players
1 post
3,505 battles

Greetings,

I would like to ask why in silver league there are tier 9-10 ships?
As bronze is tier 8 only, gold 10 only wouldn't it be logical for silver to be 9 only?

What is the point of having an option to play tier 9-10 in silver league and silver qualifier? Everyone(almost everyone) is going to play tier 10. This happened to me in the silver qualifier.

I am kinda sad not to be able to play tier 9. I mean I am able to but against tier 10 ships I don't want to.

other than that new ranked feels very nice indeed.

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
15,264 battles

Hah  Drat I was writing the same thing. :P 

So after play in new ranked system I would say I like it. And as friend above I feel same way. In silver there should be T9 and if there is CV T8 and thats all. Otherwise people will play T10 if they have choice and is no fun if Silver will be same as Gold. :/ 

[DLBN]
Beta Tester
174 posts

i wonder what you have done there ? We all have holidays now and its only possible to play this all 5 Days ? I have to work after chrismas and now nothing to play. Well done Wargaming !

[OLEUM]
Players
232 posts
20,704 battles

if you qualify for the following  league you can't keep playing anymore.  starts again in  few days :Smile_sad:

.why should this be a system good idea?

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,800 posts
14,504 battles

Well the experience of progressing through bronze league was pretty straightforward.

With regards to the future leagues though, I dont feel like Silver and Gold offer enough rewards.

I would rather stay at bronze league and get 400 steel for winning ~10 games than be at gold league and have to win 20 to get 600 steel. You do get more coal than at bronze league, but its such a small amount of coal relatively to the time taken.

More steel at higher leagues please.

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,030 posts
22,322 battles

The whole mode is now even worse than before. Everything is worse, from game play to rewards.

• Cool 5

[EUTF]
Players
254 posts
6,773 battles

These new revamp for rank gameplay could have been a nice change but sadly it was treat it like a chore, it was just a task to be done and put a check mark and everyone at headquarters to be happy not to say that was meant also to reduce the overall rewards of rank battles.

Overall my time in rank games in the past was just to climb at 15-14 rank get some steel (around 1000) and collect the commemorative flag and occasionally have some better games than in random battles - i could push for more but i have a work and a life outside the game and i also wanted to keep my remaining sanity in the higher rank battles that all had been whining.

Now i have to play atleast twice as in the past and to get 1/3 of the rewards, great thinking im speechless. Someone can come and say but these is just a test season .... ye test season in our heads that we been treated as hamsters on experiments all the time (and the upcoming Commander tree revamp) without even putting some effort to make it slightly better.

I wont go in detail that you should add some more flexible matchmaking in ranks that alot of people propose for the last years (the developers can search their trash bin for that feedback from us) but il list my idea.

Each Rank season can run for 2 months and split it in 4 sprints, each sprint can run for 10 days.
example if a season started at january 2021
From 1 to 10 january we have a sprint, from 11 to 14 a break (you dont want your customers to die right)
15 to 24 it comes the second sprint with 25 to 28 a break again and it continues the same way

You can keep the 3 Leaques or if you want to add a 4th one called Diamond leaque so people can achieve the highest rank in the 4 sprints as i said above
You should atleast double the rewards in all leaques cause now is just a cruel joke for us.

Personally with the new system i cant even get more than 200 steel ...
On the past i could get more steel alot of flags and the commemorative flag.
Now the time i need to invest i nthe game for these rewards is atleast triple more and i have to do it on your short schedule that dont suits some working people.

Overall for me the new system is beyond a circus fiesta with clowns slapping my face, if your plan is to alienate some of us from the rank and try to buy steel in your shortcuts (aka shipyard etc) you are wrong - it will make more hesitant to play more. But again i guess you are happy with some called "whales" that throw some money on their screen and make the matchmaking and our time ingame so much interesting as it happening last year - on the past you could had 1 bad player out of 24 doing some yolos or stupid things ingame but now its like 6 players being in the same match.

Best wishes for a happy year from a disappointed customer of yours.

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
7,860 battles

hi

the new system is nice, but for more fun it would be possible to consider the following points:
no ranked if no camo or flag.
organize battles if possible between levels
when we are lvl 2 or 3 end up with lvl 7 which melt in two minutes it is very frustrating

thanks 

(helped with google trad)

• Cool 1

[SYTHE]
Players
618 posts
6,382 battles

Hmm. I can see the appeal of this, but it requires a minimum amount of play *per week*, which is hard for some of us. Under the old system I used to bimble my way to 15 over time, sometimes treat Rank 10 as the goal if I had a bit more time that month - but in this system I have to burst to get through a league in a week, or have all that progress reset. Dispiriting.

• Cool 2

[B-F-L]
Players
49 posts
On 12/30/2020 at 2:08 AM, locky92003 said:

so one star away from silver league and the ranked battle become unavailable. This means i have to start from bottom of bronze league again?

Yes I am afraid, thats another big issue....

[DKP]
Modder
392 posts
7,071 battles

The amount of wins required for just receiving the seasons's commemorative flag is ridiculous now. 1 vs. at least 9 wins.

Players
4 posts
13,049 battles

Hi everyone,

I just have managed to battle to rank 1 in silver. Couple of thoughts:

What I personally like:

+ to call for three leagues and define these as gold, silver and bronze is motivating, at least to me.

+ camouflages in these colours are also a nice gimmick

+ using different Tier levels has made me play more different ships from T8 thru T10 over the past 10 days

propositions:

- rewards in silver and gold league should be increased. 

- don´t start always from bronze but introduce a relegation in each direction, e.g. being in silver you may move to gold if you make it within 1 week up to rank 1, but move to bronze if you fail to achieve rank 5 within 1 week. You may qualify for a "vacation exemption" twice or thrice a year. This would help to differentiate random (purely randomized match making) from ranked (skill based MM)

- use different tiers per league (silver uses 85-90% T10) and start with lower tiers to introduce bronze also to relatively new players (e.g. bronze T6, Silver T8, Gold T 10)

Overall I like it and would play it even more with the proposed adjustments.

Thx and Happy New Year

[H-O-E]
Beta Tester
32 posts
8,903 battles

Absolutely awful experience. Number of games required per week of sprint is quite high. There needs to be a way to drop down into previous leagues if someone wants to. Silver and gold probably need more 'safe' ranks to be a sane experience. Ideally, losing stars shouldn't be the default - there should be an XP threshold or something on the losing team to save your star, not just the 'best.' Losing stars could be reserved for the actual AFK or yolo forward morons.

The number of games where two or three friendlies die 3 minutes into the game is mind boggling, and makes this incredibly frustrating instead of fun. Rewards heavily linked to winning games when you don't get to decide your teammates are not pleasant.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SHAFT]
Players
1,265 posts
25,778 battles

The amount of horrid players is amazing.... Funny thing is that they reach higher ranks just because they're clicking battle all the time hoping someone will carry them.

• Cool 2

[M_T_R]
Players
409 posts
24,933 battles
3 hours ago, Ghesthar said:

Absolutely awful experience. Number of games required per week of sprint is quite high. There needs to be a way to drop down into previous leagues if someone wants to. Silver and gold probably need more 'safe' ranks to be a sane experience. Ideally, losing stars shouldn't be the default - there should be an XP threshold or something on the losing team to save your star, not just the 'best.' Losing stars could be reserved for the actual AFK or yolo forward morons.

The number of games where two or three friendlies die 3 minutes into the game is mind boggling, and makes this incredibly frustrating instead of fun. Rewards heavily linked to winning games when you don't get to decide your teammates are not pleasant.

This.

For me the bronze league was a real pain in the a...

When I held rank 2 with 1 star I lost like five times (probably more) with that star revoked (about two or three times I managed to secure the star).

The amount of players wasting their ships is mind boggling too.

You`ve all seen the likes of the average Prinz Eugen potato turning full broadside to release their fish ... just to give one example.

So, having been at Rank 2 it took me 16 more games to finally reach rank 1. :cap_wander:

WoWs_rank 1 bronze.png

[KRONA]
Players
5 posts
5,118 battles

After playing second sprint now i can se a partten emerging. If you dont advance fast upp to silver leage you will more or les be stuck in bronze. I waited to play the first days of the sprint, managed to play to ranked 1 in the first sprint but decided to stay in bronze to se how bad it will get and i can tell you its worse now. I manage to get to rank 3 in a day but after this its just gone down hill from there i played like two days now not able to reach rank 1. I have like carried my team like most of the games 70% ish but it has lead me to more losses than wins like 20% wins and 80% loss.  So probably i will not play this mode more and wait to a new ranked battle will start. Its not posible to reatch silver leage in my opinium now if you dont have like stupid luck. In my opinion WG shuld change it to be more player experinced than team play. Now in bronze there  is no team play ocuring any more.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-WHO-]
Players
117 posts
9,880 battles

Just qualified to gold, didn't notice the sh... rewards and it's not worth it, can I go back to bronze? Or do u think they woll buff the rewards.

• Cool 1

[LMFBO]
[LMFBO]
Players
4 posts

its rigged in mm for me everytime on last star get put against a team full of highest emblem players