Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Molly_Delaney

In other news (NOT Politics)

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
741 posts
2,144 battles

Free Speech Victory: Judges Rule Social Media Users Have Right to Offend

 

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/12/18/free-speech-victory-judges-rule-social-media-users-have-right-to-offend/

 

Still wont stop a chat ban, that's due to Wargaming's policy and conditions of use.

 

BUT, anyone causing offence can no longer be dragged to court and locked up!!!

 

:cap_popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,061 posts
15,430 battles
4 hours ago, Molly_Delaney said:

 

BUT, anyone causing offence can no longer be dragged to court and locked up!!!

 

:cap_popcorn:

Depends on the offense.

The judgement was only about "cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another", nothing else. But certain websites like to blow the meaning of such rulings out of proportion.

 

And England is only a small part of the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,299 posts
4,794 battles

I find it hilarious this thread is titled "NOT Politics" and yet the subject of Free Speech is very much a political issue.:Smile_veryhappy:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
741 posts
2,144 battles
19 hours ago, LOZFFVII said:

I find it hilarious this thread is titled "NOT Politics" and yet the subject of Free Speech is very much a political issue.:Smile_veryhappy:

Why yes it is!:cap_cool:

But I think we can all agree Free Speech is good. Therefore no arguments. (though this is an internet forum so you never know)....:Smile_hiding:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,061 posts
15,430 battles
43 minutes ago, Molly_Delaney said:

Why yes it is!:cap_cool:

But I think we can all agree Free Speech is good. Therefore no arguments. (though this is an internet forum so you never know)....:Smile_hiding:

Free Speech is good. One has to recognize where Free Speech limits the freedom of others and has to be limited.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,699 posts
11,390 battles

I find the West quite selective when it comes to freedom of speech.

 

For example make even the slightest remark against Jewish ppl and its instantly anti-semitism, regardless of what its about. Yet for Muslims, they aren't afford the same protection. Publications like Charlie Hebdo are free to disparage them as much as they want, all in the name of "Freedom of Speech" and some value of the Republic.

 

Freedom of speech isnt true freedom of speech, just what the west feels is to them when it suit their needs. Frankly to me its just hypocrisy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,299 posts
4,794 battles
1 hour ago, pra3y said:

I find the West quite selective when it comes to freedom of speech.

 

For example make even the slightest remark against Jewish ppl and its instantly anti-semitism, regardless of what its about. Yet for Muslims, they aren't afford the same protection. Publications like Charlie Hebdo are free to disparage them as much as they want, all in the name of "Freedom of Speech" and some value of the Republic.

 

Freedom of speech isnt true freedom of speech, just what the west feels is to them when it suit their needs. Frankly to me its just hypocrisy.

This is the ultimate question of freedom of speech.

Pure freedom of speech should allow everyone to say whatever they want whenever; regardless of if it's anti-semitic, islamophobic, racist, sexist, whatever. Obviously, it goes without saying that all of those views are wrong.

But those of us who know that those views are wrong are forced into a predicament where obviously the opposite of freedom of speech is much worse than allowing these people their voice (just look at China).

 

Unfortunately I don't really have a solution to this dilemma.

If I did, I wouldn't be here discussing it in the message boards for a shooty-shooty game about pixel botes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[4_0_4]
Players
8,012 posts
14,352 battles
9 hours ago, LOZFFVII said:

Unfortunately I don't really have a solution to this dilemma.

If I did, I wouldn't be here discussing it in the message boards for a shooty-shooty game about pixel botes.

 

There never will be a solution:

If you have complete Freedom of speech, extremist can spread their nonsense freely over the media and reach the masses.

If you limit the speech, the same extremists will claim the state censors them and that they're the righteous in a "war for free speech", despite them being autoritarian themselves.

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,699 posts
11,390 battles
1 hour ago, LOZFFVII said:

This is the ultimate question of freedom of speech.

Pure freedom of speech should allow everyone to say whatever they want whenever; regardless of if it's anti-semitic, islamophobic, racist, sexist, whatever. Obviously, it goes without saying that all of those views are wrong.

But those of us who know that those views are wrong are forced into a predicament where obviously the opposite of freedom of speech is much worse than allowing these people their voice (just look at China).

 

Unfortunately I don't really have a solution to this dilemma.

If I did, I wouldn't be here discussing it in the message boards for a shooty-shooty game about pixel botes.

Lol thats the problem I have though. To me absolute freedom of speech should not exist, rather a balanced one. However the prevalent view in the west is that its fine to say anything u want.

 

We had this young guy in our country who was just talking all sorts of controversial nonsense (an extreme troll) just to get attention. He later fled our country and obtain asylum in the States, where he said that his freedom (of speech) was oppressed in our country and was granted asylum there. Guess what, now he is being charge for pedophilia (or sexually grooming a teenager). 

 

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/singaporean-once-jailed-videos-seeks-asylum

 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/amos-yee-child-porn-charges-indicted-grand-jury-13469104

 

Quite hilarious really.

 

It just seem that most western democracies embrace the notion of absolute freedom of speech (when it suits them). I mean just look at this:

 

PM blasts China for 'truly repugnant' image of Australian soldier

 

The australian PM calls it repugnant (picture was posted by some chinese diplomat) and fake news (or whatever), but nevertheless it is a fact that australian special force soldiers were killing Afghan civilians for sport (they themselves admitted to it). In a way i guess you can consider the picture a form of satirical cartoon. So why the double standards in what is a freedom to express an opinion and what is not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5,439 posts
2,939 battles
4 hours ago, pra3y said:

the West

 

Ah yes, the West. This uniform cultural area , by opposition I imagine to the equally uniform East.

In the end it's always us versus them, what we are versus what we are not.

 

Even then, I always at humanity's tendancy to define ideas and opinion through geography. Because a group is always uniform and uniformly grouped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CN_]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
2,345 posts
7,057 battles

Even though the title says this should not be about politics, this topic is about politics.

 

That's why I will lock this thread. The forum rules are very clear on this: No politics or political discussions in the forum.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×