You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
spitifre303

Captain perks Halland

46 comments in this topic

[TAOWS]
Players
11 posts
8,481 battles

Hi guys

this is my T10 Halland captain build (19 point in total and only 3 left)

20121509345423320917175095.jpg

this is my shuip buiild (torp oriented)

20121509384823320917175096.jpg

I just can't decide what to do with the 3 points I still have.

PM 1 point could be helpful

AR 2 points 

BoS 3 points

what would you advise?

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

100% PM+AR, you should have actually gotten those before you got SI and TAE.
I wouldn't have gotten TAE at all, DE instead. But the build is fine if you add PM+AR

[THIR]
Players
944 posts
4,626 battles

Get Adrenaline Rush and drop Superintendant for Radio Location. And why the hell are you using tanking upgrades? These are meant for BBs. Get engine room protection or even better the speed boost duration module. Acceleration or rudder shift for the other one.

[TAOWS]
Players
11 posts
8,481 battles

Thx I will take the Adrenaline and PM ... and I don't like spending 4 points on radio location... anyway you always quickly find a target :)  Well DE is nice but this thing doesn't have smoke  so I get a lot of hits whenever I open fire in the open... 

• Cool 1

[THIR]
Players
944 posts
4,626 battles
1 minute ago, spitifre303 said:

and I don't like spending 4 points on radio location... anyway you always quickly find a target :)

:Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,569 posts
9,841 battles
11 minutes ago, spitifre303 said:

so I get a lot of hits whenever I open fire in the open... 

DD DCP cooldown is 40 sec

DD fires burn for 30 sec or 9% of your HP max

your heal restores 14% HP each.

fires dont hurt DDs, as in ever. If you are unlucky and die to a fire - happens, but that also means you would only have like a couple of hundred HP anyway, which is also basicly dead.

[THIR]
Players
944 posts
4,626 battles
Just now, spitifre303 said:

I am missing something about the RL? It gives you the direction to the nearest enemy ship 

You use it to torp ships you can't see. That's why it's so good for DDs. Also helps finding DDs with better concealment, or avoiding DD hunters. It tells you when an enemy ship is closing in on your position while you farm another one. It's a damn powerful skill.

[TAOWS]
Players
11 posts
8,481 battles
32 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

DD DCP cooldown is 40 sec

DD fires burn for 30 sec or 9% of your HP max

your heal restores 14% HP each.

fires dont hurt DDs, as in ever. If you are unlucky and die to a fire - happens, but that also means you would only have like a couple of hundred HP anyway, which is also basicly dead.

I meant when i start shooting in the open. I just get multiple hits that hurt a lot, a lot. 

Well not so sur the RL even now. But will have to try it one day. 

[CHEFT]
Players
12,569 posts
9,841 battles
1 minute ago, spitifre303 said:

I meant when i start shooting in the open. I just get multiple hits that hurt a lot, a lot. 

But the DCP mods in slot 2+4 dont help with that at all? Neither does BoS btw, since that was one option.

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

Personally I'd go with AR+PM on top of what you have already, as it maximizes the boat's strengths (imho), alternatively the advice above about dropping SI in order to be able to afford Radio Location is also viable. Another possibility is sacrificing a few seconds of torpedo reload instead, so you can keep SI and the extra heal that goes with it, and still get RL. Like I said though, I'd just go with AR+PM on top of what you have already.

Forget about BoS on DD's. Fires will rarely ever get you killed and if you're taking torps as a DD floodings are the least of your concern - this is really not a DD skill. BoS will not solve the issue of taking damage when open water gunboating - learning when and how to do it will. Trust me, BoS will not make you survive longer in a DD if you misplay and take massive salvos in return. The main thing, as I said, is learning when to sacrifice your stealth in order to engage with guns so you don't get wrecked by half the enemy team, and that takes some awareness and practice. Utilize the information the mini map gives you, know your opponents, and don't engage with guns in front of things like Smolensks, nearby Conqs / Thunderers, Venezias, smoked up Harugumos, etc.

Players
22 posts
1,582 battles

Personally I dropped TAE in favour of Superintendent and RPF. The extra heal, engine boost and DFAA has proven to be more useful for me than a few seconds in torpedo reload

[THESO]
Players
816 posts
3,890 battles

RPF is vital, regardless if you wanna play torp boat or gun boat. You can get away with not using it, but then you really need to be on top of things (many dont take it, but  I always do) use it primarily to hunt or defend against DDs when moving about (esp near caps). It lets you play more aggressive and have your guns ready when you do get detected by the enemy DD, or know what position to avoid. AR is great for torp focused boats especially, since when/if all other DDs are taken out, you are free to torp other targets without worry, and since you are likely bruised, you get "free torp reload speed" when doing said torping.

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
2 hours ago, spitifre303 said:

Well DE is nice but this thing doesn't have smoke  so I get a lot of hits whenever I open fire in the open... 

Islands are a thing, DE is 20% more fires with a Halland.

2 hours ago, spitifre303 said:

I am missing something about the RL?

Lets you torp ships that you can't see and were never even spotted yet, unexpected torps best torps. Lets you chase things trying to get away from you, lets you run from things you're trying to get away from. It even increases your torpedo damage output by saving you otherwise wasted torps, for example, you might torp empty smoke, RL will let you know if whoever was in the smoke left it. It has many unexplained uses, like how BBs take priority target to know when they're being torped.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,152 posts
14,648 battles
3 hours ago, spitifre303 said:

I am missing something about the RL? It gives you the direction to the nearest enemy ship 

It helps with setting up for an encounter with another DD - you can get your turrets pointed in the right direction as not all DDs have fast turrets.

Also, when the cap is contested it points you in the direction of the enemy DD - if they're not moving around they are a candidate for some torps.  Nothing funnier to me than a DD being torped to death while hiding in a small smoke screen.

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
42 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

Nothing funnier to me than a DD being torped to death while hiding in a small smoke screen.

There is one thing funnier, a DD being torped to death on his way to the cap circle before he really started the match

[SM0KE]
Players
6,749 posts
15,261 battles
5 hours ago, spitifre303 said:

what would you advise?

I'm not sure about advise, but I can tell you what I do myself; how idiotic my approach is (or otherwise) I leave to you.

FWIW I run this captain build in Halland (Smaland too):

image.thumb.png.4f8a118017ee9f3b924babc4d6ce23e4.png

The 'logic' (as such) is as follows, and in no particular order:

• First ten points is 'standard DD' build, so nothing too surprising.
  • BFT, rather than torp reload, as I like the AA boost, plus Halland's dakka is very worthwhile and this improves it; also, the gain from torp reload is marginal - IMO - and I prefer something with a better balance between torps and dakka.
  • Running the same captain in Smaland, which is mostly about the dakka, makes the previous decision a bit easier, but I pretty much take the same approach throughout the line: captain boosts dakka, and ship upgrades boost torps.
  • SI as the extra heal alone makes it worth it - farming Dreadnoughts in DDs is the occupation for the discerning.
  • AR because - despite having a healing potion - it can often make a crucial difference when you've been a bit maimed.
  • PM because what else am I going to do with the last point, and it does sometimes come in useful when a lot of buggers are shooting at you.
  • I don't take RL because - in randoms anyway - I find I get more consistent benefit from spending the four points elsewhere, plus a good opponent can do a lot with the knowledge of when you have him tagged with the skill (with the reset that will probably come with the rework, I'm planning to build a second Halland captain with RL, or whatever it'll end up being called).

As to the ship herself, the build looks like this:

image.thumb.png.0de0caf100ed298dadd72ecc8032a1e7.png

Mostly obvious:

• Speed boost because - with no smoke - the longer you can go flat-out the better.
  • Zoomy torps because - with their range - the extra speed does help (IMO), plus gains with the guns upgrade are more marginal with most applications of dakka happening pretty close-to anyway.
  • Maximum donkey-shaking as I rarely slow down anyway, and every bit helps when every opponent (and their ferret) is shooting at you, plus As It Is Written, the enlightened chap has to - often - Just DodgeTM.
  • Concealment, because what else would you take?
  • Torp reload because I didn't with the captain, and BFT has covered off the dakka sufficiently.

Make of that what you will; it's what I do, but I don't suggest for a moment that it's the 'right' answer (and my personal WR in Halland is awful)...

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Also AR will give you more torpedo reload buff than TAE, for 1 point less, on top of boosting the reload of your guns, because on average in a game, logically, you are half-dead, thus it gives you +12,5% faster torpedo and gun reload for 2 points. 0% when you're fresh, 25% when you're a corpse. TAE is kinda junk, just my opinion, even on a 'torpedo boat' He can just mess around with RL for a few weeks to try it out because free captain skill resets incoming with 0.10.0

[OHFK]
Players
273 posts
7,305 battles
14 hours ago, spitifre303 said:

Hi guys

this is my T10 Halland captain build (19 point in total and only 3 left)

"...."

what would you advise?

First a question:

Where are you going to use your Halland: Randoms or CB's?

Beta Tester
2,177 posts
12,792 battles
14 hours ago, Stormhawk_V said:

Get Adrenaline Rush and drop Superintendant for Radio Location. And why the hell are you using tanking upgrades? These are meant for BBs. Get engine room protection or even better the speed boost duration module. Acceleration or rudder shift for the other one.

Pls dont tell me you take SE on your Yama to get 100 K HP......

SE on T10 DDs are pretty much mandatory these days.

[THIR]
Players
944 posts
4,626 battles
24 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Pls dont tell me you take SE on your Yama to get 100 K HP......

SE on T10 DDs are pretty much mandatory these days.

You realize that was about the upgrades he uses, not captain skills, right? SE is already part of his build.

Players
3,121 posts
22,700 battles

My captain build is

PT-LS-SE-CE-AR-RL-TAE.

AR is because I use Jerzy Swirlie who has enhanced AR.

While I do sometimes miss the extra consumables of the SI perk, I just feel naked and afraid without RL.

The alternative would be to drop the TAE in favour of SI but I just love torping too much.

Spoilt by almost 600 Benham games and counting.

Upgrade-wise I go for the Steering Gears Mod 2 instead of the Dam Con Mod 2 which frankly I think is ruining your build. This big, unwieldy DD benefits a lot more from the extra rudder shift. And that flaw is exacerbated whenever you get caught off-guard because of the missing RL.

But that alone does not explain your <cough> 11% Halland win rate by a long shot.

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,623 posts
9,608 battles
15 hours ago, spitifre303 said:

and I don't like spending 4 points on radio location... anyway you always quickly find a target

Wrong