You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HansRoaming

Trento, is it just me? Please help.

88 comments in this topic

[TACHA]
Players
331 posts
6,115 battles

Hi,

Please could you pass on some wisdom about Trento as it really is the ship I do worse in. The armor seems to be made of citadels no matter what angle the incoming rounds come in at and whilst SAP is good the DPM with a long reload doesn't seem to be worth it.

Is it me or the ship, any help appreciated.

Hans

• Cool 1

Players
756 posts
7,536 battles

I remember liking the Trento ok, found the Zara unplayable. I used some cover and some open water shooting. Took incoming fire alert for sure. The guns are good, the AP too. Positioning and map awareness, I'd say. And acceptance that French and Soviet (of course) BBs will wreck you.

• Cool 2

Players
3,161 posts
18,226 battles

Montegiggolo

Trento

Zara

Amalfi

All unplayable if there's mostly BBs and no DDs in the game.

Works okay for hunting dds, but the dmg output is otherwise pitifyl even vs flat broadside, AFK BBs.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,411 posts
9,841 battles

Probably one of the weaker ones id say. What was the upper belt armor? I think not so good, f.e. Zara has 30mm + the belt armor, which can actually bounce almost all BBs (except couple T9s), which does help a lot.

All of them have rather low DPM, so you need to make every salvo count and you need to know where to aim.

In the few games i played the midtier ITA cruisers, i usually tried to get on a flank, and have the smoke as emergency bailout. That way, your SAP works best when you can shoot at broadside targets. Again, midtier BBs, you need to know where to aim to get damage, as some of them have dreadnought style armor and you will struggle if you hit the wrong parts.

• Cool 5

[MUMMY]
Players
657 posts
10,457 battles

Primarily SAP, but dont be afraid to use your AP.

SAP on most things (go for superstructure/deck shots except on DDs), broadside CAs at <11KM use AP if you can.  

But yeah, you aint going to bounce many shells by angling her.

• Cool 5

Players
2,043 posts
3,816 battles

Trento is okay; yes, it's a floating citadel, but honestly... what Tier 6 heavy cruiser (or cruiser in general) isn't a floating citadel?

Having SAP helps you a bit when uptiered, because you pen 54m, which includes German deck armour.

My best advice is, at the start of the game, stay at long range and i really mean long range also angled away, should help to mitigate a bit.

Try also to use the smokes mostly as a defensive tool to disengage (because you can stay full speed in them)

Also, as Flamu said:"...in a cruiser, what you want to be doing, is to deal the maximum ammount of damage while taking the minimum ammount of damage in return" and also don't be greedy if you don't get much damage early game, the longer the game lasts, the less ships there are, the more powerfull a cruiser becomes.

Flamu also mad a Cruisers positioning guide with Brindisi, it's not Trento, but it should help

• Cool 7

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,753 posts
6,312 battles

Sadly I have no tricks to share in Trento, as I had miserable luck in her. Luckily for my sanity I had already gotten both Zara and Amalfi so I had no reason to keep her.

• Cool 3

Players
1,160 posts
13,196 battles

In trento you wanna keep those torps going. 1-2 hits per game will really help your damage output. Stay at good range, if you have Sansonetti pick up a kill ASAP. SAP works good on DDs and cruisers, on BBs you need to aim at a very wonky place- the deck line- to make it work a bit. 

The regular AP is very strong against cruisers, if theyre presenting broadsides. 

SAP will murder DDs, hits up to 8k are possible- so if you wanna win (best grinding strategy) supporting your DDs against enemy DDs and cruisers should be your focus. Ignore BBs unless you have nothing else to shoot at, throw some torps their way & try and go up close with torps if possible

• Cool 2

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Probably one of the weaker ones id say. What was the upper belt armor? I think not so good, f.e. Zara has 30mm + the belt armor, which can actually bounce almost all BBs (except couple T9s), which does help a lot.

25 mm. It isn't good.

Trento imo is passable. Trento really relies on its 36 knot base speed, excellent turning radius and smoke to avoid getting hit. The upper belt is poor if you are up vs big gun BB, though tbf, you won't get citadelled through the upper belt. On the flipside, no other T6 cruiser is going to tank these sorts of guns and few can boast the agility and smoke, so, well. On the upside, Trento has decent range, the 203s aren't the better Italian 203s, but at T6 still can overmatch a good few things, the SAP doesn't care about range and the lazy arcs mean that you more often get deck pens at range instead of deck ricochets. Zara was more fun, but Zara had at times to use spotter plane to get pens on a deck and some BBs (*cough* Sinop *cough*) really are a pain with good upper belt and stuff.

Additionally, Trento with its agility and smoke is likely one of the best to avoid CV attacks at T6 and any Ryuujou or Langley felt more like a potential damage farm late-game, as you can citpen them with SAP. 

• Cool 2

[ONE2]
Players
3,144 posts
24,050 battles

Just like they said it all. Trento is a good ship, but do not even try to tank or play static. STAY mobile (wasd and top speed throughout the game) and pick your targets: DD's first (you will murder them), then target the Light Cruisers (those with smaller than 203mm guns and light armor = massive damage... And Pensacola), then other Heavy Cruisers. Do not waste too much time shooting at BB's unless no other targets are available, especially if they are higher tier, you won't do much else than attract their attention to focus on yourself. Lower tier BB MAY take a citadel if you land a lucky shot from maximum range into the mess window but sadly you can't really count on it happening every time.:cap_like:

You can also use the smoke to make forays closer to the enemy in order to support your DD's and ambush the enemy's (err, remember though that you cannot see outside of the smoke yourself so you need a spotter) and launch torps, just do not overstay your welcome because if you run out of smoke at an inconvenient time things are gonna git bad in a hurry. So plan the use of your smokes in advance and try to use them sparingly, they are literally worth your life to you. Oh and keep in mind, if making torp run in smoke OR trying to escape in it, it may not always be a good idea to fire your guns because doing so will immediately get you spotted even inside the smoke for up to 8,7km (so if there is a chance anyone would be within that range, when deploying smoke - FFS do not shoot).:cap_old:

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
331 posts
6,115 battles

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it, maybe like the Pensacola it will click eventually but I took some time off and took out my De Grasse which I just love. Will watch the video and see how it compares to his Pensacola one which was an eye opener.

Again, appreciate all your comments.

• Cool 1

Players
756 posts
7,536 battles
14 hours ago, HansRoaming said:

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it, maybe like the Pensacola it will click eventually but I took some time off and took out my De Grasse which I just love. Will watch the video and see how it compares to his Pensacola one which was an eye opener.

Again, appreciate all your comments.

If you like De Grasse, you might come to like the Trento. It's fast and agile. I think I remember I played it with double rudder (at that tier it might be single rudder, but anyway) and incoming fire alert. Like I play the French cruisers. I had fun with the Trento, though as I said: sometimes I just got wrecked. Zara was pants, then Amalfi played like Trento again. I wish you all the luck.

• Cool 1

[MUMMY]
Players
657 posts
10,457 battles
1 hour ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Dude, it is a garbage ship on a garbage tier with garbage matchmaking and loads of carrier plague.

Just skip it with Free XP.

Skip everything until Brindisi in fact.

I find the Italian CA line strange due to peoples differing experience of the line :cap_hmm:

I really enjoyed playing the Amalfi and did not use any FXP to get Brindisi. I did not like the Brindisi; I got so frustrated with her I used FXP to skip.

Yourself and others I know, did not like Amalfi but enjoyed the Brindisi.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
1,452 posts
22,794 battles

skipping is probably not an option for OP and this is a techtree you want to freexp to the tier 10.  

The only good ones are Venezia and Gorizia (Premium) 

it is a garbage ship on a garbage tier with garbage matchmaking and loads of carrier plague.

T6 is fun especially with Pensacola it has battleship plating at t6 now and is basically immune to shells under 358mm if angled correctly while being able to citadel some battleships 

• Cool 1

Players
756 posts
7,536 battles

I find this interesting. Some people find the Trento and the Amalfi - fast, agile, lightly armored - impossible, others (like me) the - slower, stationary - Zara and Brindisi. I free-xp'd the latter.

I found the same dichotomy in the IJN BB line. People love the Amagi and, to some extent, the Nagato for some god forsaken reason (I'm going to say it's the guns). I hate battleships that can't take hits, so i skipped the Amagi and liked the Izumo, which people love to hate.

De gustibus...

• Cool 1

Players
3,060 posts
22,524 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, rage1750 sagte:

Yourself and others I know, did not like Amalfi but enjoyed the Brindisi.

Amalfi would be ok since it starts getting the extended smoke duration, were it not for the carrier plague on Tier VIII.

Vor 2 Stunden, Ysterpyp sagte:

skipping is probably not an option for OP and this is a techtree you want to freexp to the tier 10. 

Why would you want to skip Tier XI of all tiers?!

It is the only one that even resembles fun most of the time any more, with 33% CV plague or less.

All you need to do to have a good time with Brindisi is not push early, not push alone and not broadside, i.e. normal cruiser gameplay while skipping the dumb stuff.

• Cool 2

Players
3,060 posts
22,524 battles
Vor 46 Minuten, Bindolaf_Werebane sagte:

slower, stationary - Zara and Brindisi.

Brindisi is the fastest Tier IX cruiser as long as Saint Louis stays off the engine boost, and among the most agile ones, too. Amalfi has actually worse rudder shift (if a slightly tighter turning circle) and is only .3 kt faster.

Zitat

I free-xp'd the latter.

Well, yeah.

• Cool 2

Players
756 posts
7,536 battles

Brindisi is the fastest Tier IX cruiser as long as Saint Louis stays off the engine boost, and among the most agile ones, too. Amalfi has actually worse rudder shift (if a slightly tighter turning circle) and is only .3 kt faster.

Well, yeah.

Hmm, may have to revisit Brindisi, then.

• Cool 1

[-YR-]
Players
738 posts
23 hours ago, HansRoaming said:

Hi,

Please could you pass on some wisdom about Trento as it really is the ship I do worse in. The armor seems to be made of citadels no matter what angle the incoming rounds come in at and whilst SAP is good the DPM with a long reload doesn't seem to be worth it.

Is it me or the ship, any help appreciated.

Hans

SELL IT, SELL ALL ITA CRUISER LINE AND PLAY THE RUSSIAN LINE:

FAR BETTER AND LESS FRUSTRATING. YOUR TEAM WILL ALSO SAY THANKS CAUSE YOU HAVE RADAR!!!

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

I for one say, don't free exp anything, it's a learning experience and none of them are so bad skipping is necessary. Yes, some people will tell you that others are better or that certain ships in the line are poor, but well...

Spoiler

Top 3 tech tree cruisers T7:

Fiji: 51.69%

Surrey: 50.76%

Zara: 50.25%

Top 3 tech tree cruisers T8:

Edinburgh: 50.87%

Albemarle: 50.38%

Amalfi: 50.09%

Top 3 tech tree cruisers T9:

Drake: 51.23%

Riga: 50.50%

Dmitri Donskoi: 49.04%

(Brindisi is #4 at 48.83%)

Source: http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20201212/eu_2month/average_ship_u.html

Also, top 3 T10 tech tree cruisers are Petro, Goliath and DesMo in that order. Venezia is #5 after Minotaur.

Trento seems to be average, everything after it at least does enough useful things to win games and it should be kept in mind, apart from damage and dodge-tanking, these ships do not do any utility.

1 hour ago, Alfa_Tau said:

SELL IT, SELL ALL ITA CRUISER LINE AND PLAY THE RUSSIAN LINE:

FAR BETTER AND LESS FRUSTRATING. YOUR TEAM WILL ALSO SAY THANKS CAUSE YOU HAVE RADAR!!!

Only at T9 and T10 some Russian cruisers manage to edge out the Italians. Only line that consistently beats the Italians are British lines at the moment. Generally, there's no reason to give up on Italian CA line.

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,753 posts
6,312 battles
1 minute ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Only line that consistently beats the Italians are British lines at the moment. Generally, there's no reason to give up on Italian CA line.

The British lines? So the British CA's are performing well as well?

• Cool 1

[_ES_]
Players
43 posts
6,089 battles

Both Trento and Zara were/are fun for me. Like in every cruiser you need to be aware of the surroundings and map. Pick your opponents, shoot when safe, don't be the only target, disengage using smoke (don't use it like DD smoke for farming), use your speed and manouverability. Of course, you need a little bit of luck and a CV that doesn't paint bull's eye on your ship. SAP os very good but inconsistent. You can get really good salvos.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

The British lines? So the British CA's are performing well as well?

Contrary to the poor reviews these ships get, yes, the CA line has performed quite decent ever since release and has remained quite high in the WR department ever since, including weakpoints in the line like the Albemarle. Whether it is an enjoyable line is up to the player though.

• Cool 2