You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Updates to Ranked Battles

108 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,967 posts
18,813 battles

Hm... I played the last 16 seasons for some extra signals and the commemorative flag and I cant see either in the current rewards...

• Cool 2

WG Staff
2,524 posts
931 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Newman said:

Which is next week? Assuming you're allowed to tell us ofc.

Hi Captain, 

Yes, If everything goes according to the plan, Update 0.9.12 will go live during the next week. 😊

• Cool 1

[EUTF]
Players
282 posts
6,996 battles
1 hour ago, Ubertron_X said:

Hm... I played the last 16 seasons for some extra signals and the commemorative flag and I cant see either in the current rewards...

Its still in there

A commemorative flag is awarded at the end of each season for achieving Rank 1 in the Bronze League.

Extra signals on the other way are send to the toilet bin cause WG is too generous and we got spoiled with Makarov this Christmas holidays

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-SFC-]
[-SFC-]
Players
5 posts
4,144 battles
23 hours ago, Captain_Newman said:

Nights and evenings are two different things. I'd expect the session to end at around 11PM CET. If you work and have to get up in the morning you probably wouldn't have stayed much later than that to play, anyway. I am amused with the sentence about "ensuring high-quality matchmaking". Have these people even played the game :cap_haloween:

Ironically enough the teams are better during the late evening and night...

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
1 hour ago, TheWarJaC said:

Hi Captain, 

Yes, If everything goes according to the plan, Update 0.9.12 will go live during the next week. 😊

Thanks!

• Cool 1

[RNLDA]
Players
8 posts

Lots of negative replies here but I for one am looking forward to it. I never really played ranked before as I am primarily a casual gamer and not a competitive one but I'm going to give this a try. Just wanted to let you know.

WG Staff
2,524 posts
931 battles
52 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

Thanks!

From a Simpsons fan to another: you are super welcome Captain! 😀

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,967 posts
18,813 battles
1 hour ago, Nauseica said:

Its still in there

A commemorative flag is awarded at the end of each season for achieving Rank 1 in the Bronze League.

Thanks for the heads-up! Still wondering why the flag is and always has been hidden in the text and not shown in the overview graphics.

Edit: I just overlooked this when I saw the ugly flag. ^^

[X-10]
Players
92 posts
6,719 battles
5 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

Hi Captain, 

Snowflakes will be back with the release of the update 0.9.12 😊

better be steel instead of santa containers :)

[OFFS]
Players
151 posts
32,263 battles
On 12/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, AmiralPotato said:

Interesting, but get rid of the damn 'farmer keeps a star' crap.

You can just give 2 stars to the first one in the winning team instead.

Right on target AmiralPotato  !

As ususal they are changing everything except what is wrong !

Giving stars for a classification by a lateral criteria goes against the leaderboard principle altogether (that first is better than second and so on).Here all the team is awarded the same, from the first one with +3000 base XP that carried, to the last AFK with undeserved 283 XP. Who devised this, I wonder....

Every player should be rewarded according to his apport IN BOTH teams, with some bonus added for victors. So even if slacker-snipers will stil be first by damage, the next ones will get something for their effort unlike now where everyone is disgusted .

Then ranking  and advancement should be obtained by averaging the "stars" per number of battles, or limit the number of battles per "season" as they are in the actual weekly battles. this could vary by season ship tiers or/and class (?).

Anyways, IMO this (lateral classification) is the only thing that is completely wrong in the actual format and it seems Wg cannot see it.

I am talking as a player who is often distracted from the game by various endeavours and who has won many unmerited stars being AFK on one hand, and have lost even more of them after hard work  in a DD fighting for caps, the battle being thrown by a couple of BB players sniping for max dammage instead of doing their part in winning.

About rewards, as in the case of  the daily awards at the time, people got the arithmetics compltely wrong. They are hugely increased especialy for those who never advanced in rank to get steel until now.  For the numbers see page 2 under post of

radius77

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
3,803 posts
18,634 battles

:Smile_teethhappy:

I don't know which rework is crappier, "captain skills" one or this Ranked one...

We get timegated yet nonstop grind for lesser rewards than before. Brilliant! (If you are a WG employee.)

Who the eff came up with the time limit anyway? Midnight to say 3am is about the most likely time window for me, so screw me, right?

And with my typical 30-50 battles per Ranked season, I'm basically doomed to restart each week at the beginning of Bronze league and never even reach Rank 1 in that. Awesome job in butchering Ranked, WG, well done! First you start shortening the seasons to the point I struggle to even get over Rank 10 and now you make it entirely impossible for me to even progress enough to get the commemorative flag. Bravo!

Just go eff you...

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,070 posts

So, we have a backward step again. Still the camping soul who lives till the end, or the DD that grabs a few caps and does nowt else, will keep stars and the players who actually play to win get nothing.

AND taking away divisions again, thus making this just another random mode where you don't get any team play and you can't play with your friends. So much for this being a social game....

FAIL FAIL FAIL once again WeeGee..... go sell some more rigged containers .... seems to be about the only thing you know how to do.... and even that you got caught with your hands in the cookie jar...... 

• Cool 3

Players
202 posts
23,280 battles

Excuse me - maybe I am getting this wrong - but - it seems you are not getting it....

(Maybe I overlooked something here...please tell me)

Why would you try to rank-out EVER AGAIN (not sure if there is still a rank-out feeling in this mode)?

This is nothing about "saving-a-star-mechanics" or "camping-till-the-end" or "less rewards"...

This is a "Steel and doubloons for all" activity - so most of you should probably be very happy about it. 

With basically no effort (just look at the Bronze league mechanics) everyone gets 400 steel and 200 doubloons every week...

Maybe you add a bit more effort and go for Silver to get another 100steel and 100doubloons per week more...but thats it...

This is a HUGE increase for vast majority, as most people made it to rank 10 max every season - which meant nearly no dubloons and less steel...

Gold means a FULL former Premiere League Rank Out EVERY SINGLE WEEK!!! to get the goodies...and you cant go back. 

I ranked out every season since I am able to from a ship tier perspective. 

Always tried to reach Prem Leage as soon as possible (first 2-3 days) as I enjoyed the skill-sorted matchmaking there, 

playing vs. 55% plus WR players only, challenging myself... But in this mode? nope...I wonder who would still go for this....

• Cool 1

Players
582 posts
17,677 battles
Vor 11 Stunden, cherry2blost sagte:

So, we have a backward step again. Still the camping soul who lives till the end, or the DD that grabs a few caps and does nowt else, will keep stars and the players who actually play to win get nothing.

AND taking away divisions again, thus making this just another random mode where you don't get any team play and you can't play with your friends. So much for this being a social game....

FAIL FAIL FAIL once again WeeGee..... go sell some more rigged containers .... seems to be about the only thing you know how to do.... and even that you got caught with your hands in the cookie jar...... 

It's you who's got it perfectly backwards. Ranked has always been about solo progression, demarcated by stars. Because players have no control over who is on either team and the respective skill levels of those other players, having some way of differentiating a skilled player's performance from the rest of their team is highly desirable. Star saving is a small but significant step in that direction. Those who play to win - and are good at it - will be usually rewarded by earning a star. Sometimes they will be consoled by keeping one after a loss.

Allowing divs into Ranked would make a mockery of the concept. The mode rewards those who get ahead by combining individual skill and the ability to work as a team with strangers, not those who have a skilled friend to tow them along. If you want a social experience you should play Randoms or Clan Battles.

[LS]
Players
24 posts
11,269 battles

Just take time restriction out, we all know pop is low but anyone would rather wait as long as needed to have a complet team in off hours than needing to play in specific hours.

You have a rather "old" audience witch means sometimes playing overly late or early to squize some play time between real life.

You are already milking the last bit of the good parts of the game, show some mercy.

• Cool 2

[T-N-T]
Players
3,803 posts
18,634 battles
10 hours ago, FreakinBiber said:

Excuse me - maybe I am getting this wrong - but - it seems you are not getting it....

(Maybe I overlooked something here...please tell me)

Why would you try to rank-out EVER AGAIN (not sure if there is still a rank-out feeling in this mode)?

This is nothing about "saving-a-star-mechanics" or "camping-till-the-end" or "less rewards"...

This is a "Steel and doubloons for all" activity - so most of you should probably be very happy about it. 

With basically no effort (just look at the Bronze league mechanics) everyone gets 400 steel and 200 doubloons every week...

Maybe you add a bit more effort and go for Silver to get another 100steel and 100doubloons per week more...but thats it...

This is a HUGE increase for vast majority, as most people made it to rank 10 max every season - which meant nearly no dubloons and less steel...

Gold means a FULL former Premiere League Rank Out EVERY SINGLE WEEK!!! to get the goodies...and you cant go back. 

I ranked out every season since I am able to from a ship tier perspective. 

Always tried to reach Prem Leage as soon as possible (first 2-3 days) as I enjoyed the skill-sorted matchmaking there, 

playing vs. 55% plus WR players only, challenging myself... But in this mode? nope...I wonder who would still go for this....

Well that's your perspective.

My perspective is that with the weekly resets and timegated schedule, I will manage absolutely [edited]all with 10-15 battles per week.

Back when Ranked lasted a good 6 weeks, my 60-90 battles were good enough to get me up the ranks and get nice rewards. Then they started shortening Ranked till it amounted to less than 4 weeks and I started struggling. Even the relatively easy Ranked Sprints were 9-10 days, which while silly stressful, was enough time to manage. Now we get only 7 days in a row, then again, again and again. That's insane! Nothing better to turn me completely crazy.

Players
1,070 posts
15,102 battles

So everybody is theory-crafting, the first iteration will be a test season from 22 December 2020 until 2 February 2021, and after that everything could change (format, rewards, missions).

I hope that WG is rightfully alarmed at the feedback so far pointing out how terrible the rewards are for providing incentives to play Gold league, let alone attempting to Rank out.

A simple fix for that would be to add all the rewards for the lower league(s) to the rewards from your current league, perhaps at the penultimate stage.

e.g. For 11 wins in Silver League you get those rewards and the cumulative rewards for Bronze League. For 15 wins in Gold League you get the rewards for Bronze League as an addition. For 18 wins you get the rewards for Silver League as an addition. Too generous? Link those additional rewards to Ranks instead, considering a lot of players win-a-battle-and-lose-a-battle, so rewards based on battles won just becomes a participation reward for playing long enough.

Additionally it would be good to replicate some of the feature previously seen in Ranked Sprint that we will now never see again. Sprint was notable for being easier to access, it was initially introduced at Tier 5 remember, and more casual friendly allowing divisions of two. You could replicate these accessibility features in the Bronze League which is smaller and less important, allowing 2-player divisions there would not be unbalanced (personally I'm not bothered either way as I have no friends).

And then what about Tier requirements, bearing in mind the twin goals of accessibility at the lower end and pure competition at the higher end?

I would suggest making Bronze League Tier 6/7, Silver League Tier 8/9, and Gold League Tier 10 only.

For Bronze and Silver that means that any CV is always uptiered to balance their overwhelming impact in small teams. And it provides an interesting trade-off between being uptiered and having XP and credit gains from attacking a higher tier, and being top tier and having the better ship but an XP and credit penalty attacking a lower tier. For Gold League there is no change. These Tier groupings also avoid the Tier 7/8 split disparity where Tier 8 has access to the 5th Upgrade slot (CE). The usual +/- 10% rewards could be adjusted as needed.

That diversity of Tiers not only allows participation of newer players in Bronze League (and thus a disincentive for veterans to keep farming there based on skill and XP/Credit modifiers for the time invested) it would also provide its own incentives for qualifying for Silver and Gold Leagues based on a player's need to grind ships at those tiers. For Silver League this effectively means no change, as the current proposals already allow grinding Tier 8 (Bronze League) and Tier 9 (Silver League) silver ships. It also removes a current disincentive for Silver League which is playing a Tier 9 and being dumped on by a Tier 10 CV.

Hopefully there will be another survey to follow.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
26 posts
15,768 battles
En 15/12/2020 en 16:18, Arnianor dijo:

Silver brings more steel than gold rank..... (5x500 = 2500 vs 4x600 = 2400)

You are not computing the mandatory on silver, it is 5*500=2500 VS 4*600+1x500=2900. That is, you stay on silver and got total 2900, you go to gold and total 3300 (considering the 400 for bronce).

On simple: stay on bronce, got 2400 steel. Go to Silver and stay, 2900. Go to Gold, 3300. Silver looks like a nice spot to be, considering the hardness of gold league.

• Cool 1

Players
3,186 posts
22,872 battles

I am left wondering what WG currently thinks this mode is supposed to be.

What it should accomplish.

Why it is even there. What their vision is.

Because what WG said, back at the CC summit in St. Petersburg all those months ago - that it was meant as a preparatory stage for actual competitive modes, which are Clan Battles - that is no more true with these changes than it ever was.

It might actually be a little more fun, to be sure. But I still fail to see a purpose.

[PST]
Players
59 posts
On 12/17/2020 at 1:13 AM, cherry2blost said:

They obviously have employed someone with special needs. I can only marvel at the way WG manage to eff things up with greater zeal each time they fix something that diidn't need fixing.

Weekend Tester
24 posts

I like ranked battles. My problems are CV that are too OP for the competitive mods (i.e. clan battles) and inability to pass from bronze to silver league in the same sprint. If I would played more seriously, I could finish this week sprint today. What shall I do for next six days in Ranked?

Players
2,759 posts
15,345 battles
1 hour ago, _Geronimmo_ said:

... and inability to pass from bronze to silver league in the same sprint. If I would played more seriously, I could finish this week sprint today. What shall I do for next six days in Ranked?

Buy some Makarov crates ? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2