You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Updates to Ranked Battles

108 comments in this topic

[CHEFT]
Players
431 posts
5,135 battles

Well this looks no better than the previous ranked seasons. I thought the idea was to make it less grindy and less no-lifey?

The rewards don't look that great either.

• Cool 6

[TF57]
Players
48 posts

My question is this.

When it says you need 3 wins then 6 and so on are these without loss or can you have as many tries as you like and a loss isn't a reset and start again ?

So you could in theory play 100 games and win 18 of them and get that reward ?

[STOMP]
Players
5 posts
9,618 battles

Have in mind that we will always starts in bronze league when a new season starts 

So the top reward possible will be

one sprint in bronze, one in silver and four in gold

400+500+4*600 ->3300 steel ( which steal be less than the maximum reward if you reach rank 1 with the previous sytem ) 

• Cool 1

Players
182 posts
9,946 battles

The rewards are total garbage yet again. 

It seems that the more WG muck around with this system the worse they get. 

1500 steel, 900 doubloons, 9,000 coal and a selection of crap camos max? Thats a total bloody insult and not worth the grind.

• Cool 8

[SWN]
Players
188 posts
8,494 battles

WG truly is the king of doing things nobody asked for.

New ranked = nerfed rewards.

Because greedy WG wants you to spend more money on buying stuff.

• Cool 3

[SWN]
Players
188 posts
8,494 battles

And wait CV's are allowed?

Ranked is ment to 'show your skill' right? compete against others on equal grounds? 

With CV's in there is no competition, it's just the question who gets shafted by the CV first... 

CV's have no bloody business in any form of competitive gameplay. 

• Cool 7

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
44 minutes ago, Asatori said:

WG truly is the king of doing things nobody asked for.

Aw don't be like that, people have been asking them for years to rework the skill tree system, specifically everyone wanted it more restrictive and convoluted... right...? Anyone? :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 3

Players
34 posts
10,259 battles

Seems like some people are a bit confused about total rewards, remember that everyone starts off in bronze and can increase by 1 per week, total of 6 weeks, so the best possible result is 1 week of bronze, 1 week of silver, then 4 weeks of gold. This total up to:
3.3K Steel

2.1K Dubloons

24K Coal

So less steel and dubs, but not as much of a reduction as has been posted earlier, and there is coal available, but no more standalone sprints.

Also a lot of signal handouts are not happening.

• Cool 3

[D-252]
Players
3 posts
6,909 battles
Huge issues with this reward system. For me, it is completely nuts:
- For the max rewards, of which the most important are a total of
3.3k steel, you will need more than 100 net wins (compared to the old 55). Double the effort for less rewards.
-Each of the 4 gold league weeks (19 net wins, against the best players) will be similar in terms of grinding to going from rank 5 to rank 1 in the old system (20 wins). Each week! No time to rest, no mistakes, no IRL. For only 60% of the steel you used to win.
- Purposefully staying in bronze league will net you a maximum of 2.2k steel, aprox. 70% of the maximum possible. You will need only 9 wins each week, with lots of irrevocable ranks and low skill opponents. Ok.
-Winning the qualifyers will usually feel, instead of an achievement, a curse. An averagish player who didn't have issues making it to rank 1 in bronze and qualifying, wouldn't probably make it to rank 1 the next following weeks on silver or gold leagues, so he would earn less rewards for playing a higher number and more difficult games than if he had chosen not to even play the qualifying rounds.
- Rewards-wise, this change feels like a "democratization" of steel (you get steel, and you get steel, everybody gets steel!), but heavily reducing the steel income for the best players. And I thought that was the whole point of steel.
- Similarly, I thought the point of ranked battles was to separate players according to their skill level. With this system, is going to separate them mainly in terms of (crazy) time investment, because:
-The clear rational, psychologically healthy choice would be to artificially stay in bronze or, at most, silver EVEN if you are skilled enough to prefer gold-league gameplay. I think most players, such as myself would do so (I achieved rank 1 last three seasons, since I started playing again after a long break) , and in doing so, hurt the "rankedness" of a very questionable system, in which many skilled players will be purposefully staying in the bronze league.
-Possible solution: increase NOTABLY the rewards for reaching rank 1 in Gold league. Even if you get this extra reward it only the first time you reach rank1 in gold league in a season (for instance, 2k extra steel). That way the extra bits of steel would be only for the truly masochist players, but still rewarding the highly skilled, dedicated ones.
I am not against the one-sprint-per-week system necessarily, but this reward system does not make any sense. The last system was a bit too demanding. This one is plainly nonsensical.
  • Cool 11

[ALYEN]
Players
2,586 posts
4,354 battles
3 hours ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

back then it was 4.700 per season

reading it again, there's a limit on sprints per league, so if you manage all of the sprints in each league you can get 1200+1500+1600 = 4300 gold

• Boring 1

Players
580 posts
17,662 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, AmiralPotato sagte:

Ok, then give 2 stars to the first score in winning team.

I still believe the only possible true measure of skill is winrate over a sufficient number of battles.

I'm afraid any kind of arguably single-game metric will be open to exploits.

That would be a helpful mechanic. I'd like to see them go further in the direction of WoT's Ranked mode, which follows the scheme in the image below. I've never heard anyone complain about the arrangement over there.
image.png.384bd7d34f6b8ce4235653b04af29a6b.png
Winrate over a sufficient number of battles is indeed a useful measure of skill (provided like is compared with like), but I certainly don't believe it is the only possible one. Against random opponents, it may well be the best available, but when MM is driven by player skill, there are more sophisticated alternatives, such as Elo and similar measures.

• Cool 3

Players
1,070 posts
15,102 battles

So if I understand this correctly you will never be demoted in a season.

Once you get past qualification for Silver you can stay there merrily farming for the rest of the season. 400 Steel and 100 Doubloons for 11 wins, and a realistic chance of Rank 1 with an additional 100 Steel, 200 Doubloons, and 1,000 Coal.

On the other hand if you qualify for Gold...400 Steel and no Doubloons for 12 wins (same as Silver league). Or grind out 18 wins for 400 Doubloons (only +100 more than Silver). Rank 1 is...ambitious.

Um...for time efficiency you are actually promoting Bronze for the best reward: effort ratio.

Edit: although on second thoughts that's actually quite a good ploy for tempting filthy-casual co-op mains like me into playing more pvp.

• Cool 1

[HNFC]
Players
68 posts
8,293 battles
7 hours ago, The_EURL_Guy said:

Updates to the Ranked Battles system, and the first Ranked Battles Season with the new rules!

Read it on the portal

Couple of points:

1. Bad tier placement for silver (should be just tier 9)
  2. Pathetic rewards (sum total of 1.500 steel, 900 gold, 9.000 coal)
    Last ranked sprint had 10.000 coal
    Last normal ranked had 4,800 Steel; 2,750 doubloons
    Either way I see it, it's a big NERF
  3. increase on the cost of cammos (needs 10 tokens instead of the old 3)
    ... WHY???
  4. the fakk is up with this "Ranked Battles will not be available at night"  bull.. ? 

The increase in frequency will just wear everyone down faster. So you'll have to work MORE, a lot more to get the same rewards... THANK you WG, I thought 2020 couldn't be more shitty...   you just had to drop this here...

• Cool 1

[X-10]
Players
92 posts
6,663 battles

is snowflake event gone?

• Boring 1

[1701]
Players
143 posts
14,467 battles

So, for reasons already started by others - particularly the poor rewards, more grind and the incentive to fail qualifications - this looks really bad to me. One question: Now that ranked will be on constantly, does that mean no more sprints? I mean the old sprints with divisions. The ones people actually liked...

[ALYEN]
Players
2,586 posts
4,354 battles
13 hours ago, Culotropio said:
- Purposefully staying in bronze league will net you a maximum of 2.2k steel, aprox. 70% of the maximum possible. You will need only 9 wins each week, with lots of irrevocable ranks and low skill opponents. Ok.
-Winning the qualifyers will usually feel, instead of an achievement, a curse. An averagish player who didn't have issues making it to rank 1 in bronze and qualifying, wouldn't probably make it to rank 1 the next following weeks on silver or gold leagues, so he would earn less rewards for playing a higher number and more difficult games than if he had chosen not to even play the qualifying rounds.

Something like this .... I was already looking into staying in Bronze and Silver and repeating the sprints to rank one. failing qualifiers to higher league on purpose .....

The proposed system is nuts ...

• Cool 2

[-GG-]
[-GG-]
Players
383 posts
22,945 battles
17 hours ago, thiextar said:

extremely nerfed rewards for waaay more grind and no division play. Rubbish

Quite opposite - in this new RB system rewards are MASSIVE compared to old one.

Old RB were three seasons per year (at best) with avg. 5k steel for rank 1. So if you were one of few UNICUMS to get rank 1 three times you got approx. 15.000 steel per calender year

Now we'll have ongoing "sprints". Let's assume they are in 6 week cycle with some breaks. That could be 8 cycles per year (52 weeks, 6x8=48 weeks).

In the lowest league you can get 400 stel per sprint and there could be 48 sprints per year that you can play only Bronze league ! 48x400 = 19200 steel - for the LEAST SKILLED.

Those players in old format probably would never go past rank 10 and collect max 6-7k steel per year.

• Cool 1

Players
71 posts
13,031 battles
19 hours ago, AmiralPotato said:

You can just give 2 stars to the first one in the winning team instead.

That's a good idea! +1

WG Staff
2,497 posts
929 battles
7 hours ago, ImLate said:

is snowflake event gone?

Hi Captain, 

Snowflakes will be back with the release of the update 0.9.12 😊

[VETS]
Players
145 posts
20 hours ago, Captain_Newman said:

I’m not entirely clear on how qualification will work, exactly. Is it like struggles between leagues in CB’s? So, 5 attempts, you need 3 wins. If you fail, I take it you have to wait until the next season to try again? 

In test, when you got rank one you just play on and you will find, that all of a sudden you can use ships of a higher tier. So be attentive, since you can also play your lower tier ships. And of course you don't want that unless you are sure to be able to kill the higher tier ships......

So be aware once you reach highest rank in your legue!

• Cool 1

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
1 hour ago, TheWarJaC said:

Hi Captain, 

Snowflakes will be back with the release of the update 0.9.12 😊

Which is next week? Assuming you're allowed to tell us ofc.