Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ocsimano18

Yoshino or Salem for Coal?

19 comments in this topic

Players
2,099 posts
8,702 battles

Would you pick Yoshino or Salem, and why? I already have the other T10 options, along with Georgia and Pommern.

[BOATY]
Players
915 posts
15,414 battles
3 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Would you pick Yoshino or Salem, and why? I already have the other T10 options, along with Georgia and Pommern.

If you have a Des Moines I would say get the Yoshino.

Though the Salem is often seen as weaker it does have a better heal, but Atlanta levels of radar so.

Beta Tester
283 posts
6,940 battles

Depends on what you like better gameplay-wsie

Yoshino is basicly a T10 Ibuki - can be effective but not exactly very engaging gameplay.

I don't own a Salem and, considering my stats on my Des Moines, I am really not an expert on these types of ships :Smile_veryhappy: I assume though that the gameplay is rather similiar - so frontline island-hugging it is. Salem has the added bonus that everyone thinks you're a scrub and won't expect much of you (lowest WR of all T10 cruisers i think)

I bought the Yoshino purely because i like the looks of it, but i can't say that i am particularly happy with what i've got.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,712 posts
15,214 battles
13 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Would you pick Yoshino or Salem, and why?

I picked Salem first, partly because she's cosplay Graf Spee, and partly because I was years away from getting Des Memes.

I'm rubbish in both, but - playing mostly DDs - I have a lot more respect for Salem, mainly due to the radar and superior heal (the latter making it harder to kill off, to eliminate said radar).

Salem also has the benefit of being real, if you care about such things.

• Cool 3

[BOATY]
Players
915 posts
15,414 battles
2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I picked Salem first, partly because she's cosplay Graf Spee, and partly because I was years away from getting Des Memes.

I'm rubbish in both, but - playing mostly DDs - I have a lot more respect for Salem, mainly due to the radar and superior heal (the latter making it harder to kill off, to eliminate said radar).

Salem also has the benefit of being real, if you care about such things.

Salem takes getting use to. If you play too aggressive too early You are dead. If you try to bow tank you are dead. If you try to do anything pushing its ROF before the half way point in the game, you guessed it you are dead. If you play it conservatively and supportive of your dds, it does some amazing things. A DM or a Salem lasting to late game is just a pain to deal with.

• Cool 3

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
14,564 battles

They are the two ships left in the Armoury for coal that I'm not interested in getting - even though I have just over 400K coal at the moment (I got the Neustrashimy and Flint in the Xmas Mega containers because I have most, if not all, premiums).

I have the Des Moines, Yoshino and Zao so the two ships are redundant to me.

I did buy the Z-44 for Coal though.

[GWR]
Players
552 posts
9,337 battles

Yoshino because those torp hits and kills are just hilarious

[RODS]
Players
1,736 posts
7,791 battles

Have the Salem, don´t have the Yoshino, If I had made a choice between the two today I would have gone for the Yoshino

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
2 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

For me, clearly Salem.

I don't have DM but, Salem looks pretty cool with the huge heal, screw the radar

Players
3,069 posts
22,584 battles

I would pick the Kusnetzov captain over both those ships any day of the week.

In fact the only reason I'm not buying that guy right now on my NA account is I'm still holding out for WG to maybe introduce commander coupons.

But of these two ships, I like the Salem playstyle better.

Its most serious drawback is that unlike DM, it can't take both hydro and radar at the same time.

[RODS]
Players
1,736 posts
7,791 battles
40 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

I would pick the Kusnetzov captain over both those ships any day of the week.

In fact the only reason I'm not buying that guy right now on my NA account is I'm still holding out for WG to maybe introduce commander coupons.

But of these two ships, I like the Salem playstyle better.

Its most serious drawback is that unlike DM, it can't take both hydro and radar at the same time.

That is what I did last time I had the coal, well had been saving for Yoshino but in the end I came to my senses and got Kusnetsov

[THESO]
Players
4,864 posts
4 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

If you have DesMoines and Zao ... probably neither.

That is if you are looking for variety.

Players
6,058 posts
12,094 battles

I have both ships. I play neither often. But both are totally different ships.

Salem is very close to Des Moines, except with the differences some friendly folks here already pointed out.

Yoshino is a totally different animal altogether, she is huge, sluggish and very easy to detonate.

Ship that I played and that was remotely most similar to Yoshino, is basically something like a Saint Louis but without all the speedboost and reloadboost stuff, but with Shima torps (but I doubt this description would truly describe Yoshino).

I don't think either ship is very strong, but I think Salem can be very strong if you like the island hugging playstyle. Perhaps Salem is nice to have if you like to regrind the USN CA line and will sometimes be left without DM for a while till you regrinded her back.

And Yoshino...well..yes.

If I had to pick again, I think I'd still doubt which one I would prefer.

[RONIN]
Players
530 posts
4,813 battles
6 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

easy, if you dont have des moines then Salem, if you have it, then Yoshino

• Cool 1

[TBHXX]
Players
15 posts
16,019 battles
6 hours ago, Spjuvern said:

yoshino is not good, long range hespammer, and very easy to cit......

Well it seems to me that most Yoshino players lets the anchor go in the backlines with broadside towards the enemy to be able to use all their guns and spam torpedoes and then get blapped by Yamatos or Slavas

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,639 posts
11 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

easy, if you dont have des moines then Salem, if you have it, then Yoshino

I agree

[KAKE]
Players
2,789 posts
6,795 battles

I went with the Yoshino and haven't regretted it so far. Good guns that reward good aim, can tank a metric arseton of incoming damage if you know how to position and angle her. Excellent kiting ship in the early stages of the game, with the durability to make a push in the later stages.

Only caveat is that supercruisers are likely to get :etc_swear:ed by the captain skill rework, so she may not be particularly fun to play in a couple of months. Right now she's great, though.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this