Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
rmbg

What is the difference between potential damage and hypothetical damage?

15 comments in this topic

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
32 posts
16,380 battles

I learned from the advent calendar that they are different by a factor of 20 (hypothetical damage = 20 * potential damage). But I couldn't figure out what is the definition of hypothetical damage.

[MRP]
Players
84 posts
7,604 battles

Buy a makarov crate and you will get hypothetical damage to your dignity and sanity.

Its just a mumbo jumbo on calendar.

• Funny 8

Players
2,588 posts
6 hours ago, rmbg said:

(...) But I couldn't figure out what is the definition of hypothetical damage.

Most probably damage presented using large enough modifier, so potato reading it feels good about how stronkTM his performance in the game is. :Smile_trollface:

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,190 posts
7,819 battles
6 hours ago, rmbg said:

But I couldn't figure out what is the definition of hypothetical damage

If I were to guess, I'd say that hypothetical damage is all damage sent your way while potential damage is everything within a certain radius around your ship.

Stronk WG translation might also be a possibility.

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,569 posts
9,841 battles
6 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

If I were to guess, I'd say that hypothetical damage is all damage sent your way while potential damage is everything within a certain radius around your ship.

Stronk WG translation might also be a possibility.

Thats what i think aswell.

Only weird thing is, in that advent calender, it said "potential damage i caused" so they would need to track that aswell? And i wonder why the hypothetical damage should be 20 times higher than the potential damage. That would mean, most shells/torps would never hit close to any ship? (could make sense for torps, doubt it for shells tho)

[1FA]
Players
419 posts
18,742 battles

Could the hypothetical damage be the sum of potential damage that your shells and torpedoes "caused" to enemy ships?

[OHRIP]
Players
1,193 posts
9,899 battles
1 hour ago, Yamashiro42 said:

Could the hypothetical damage be the sum of potential damage that your shells and torpedoes "caused" to enemy ships?

That would be kind of ruining the gameplay by encouraging toxic playstyle. You could abuse that by just shooting targets left right and center even if you have no chance of actually hitting or doing any damage (like bow on BB with AP)....Oh wait, you are right, WG doesn't care about that.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,813 posts
21,406 battles

I would guess hypothetical damage is the damage you could have cause had all your shells/torps/whatever that you ever fired hit.

Whereas potential damage is the damaged "tanked" by the enemy.

Players
477 posts
4,741 battles

I suspect "potential damage" is calculated off the theoretical damage for shells fired at you with you as the target. Or is it able to actually calculate blind firing e.g. as potential damage? Has someone monitored whether their potential damage goes up when blindfired at?

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,190 posts
7,819 battles

Well, I went back to actually looking at the card and just multiplying the value with 20 doesn't make much sense. However, WG might have used the global average engagement time and the average game duration to find a factor that gives the hypothetical damage for a match that lasts 20 minutes in which you fire at targets nonstop.

Either that, or the card is mistranslated and the intended meaning was to find the hypothetical DPM (though that is also weird due to 20 minutes not being the average game duration).

Players
1,326 posts
20,710 battles
9 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

I would guess hypothetical damage is the damage you could have cause had all your shells/torps/whatever that you ever fired hit.

It should be pretty much this. Someone who has a gunnery accuracy of, say, 40% and lands them in equal parts as penetrations, overpens and non-pens would deal 0.4(0.3/3 + 0.1/3) = 0.0533... (i.e., slightly above one twentieth) of the damage a 100% accuracy, 100% citadel hit ratio could do. Since WG has the related data for the whole player population, they probably arrived at a similar average, which is why they put it like that.

Salute.

• Cool 1

[NCDF]
Players
226 posts
6,580 battles
Vor 12 Stunden, arttuperkunas sagte:

I suspect "potential damage" is calculated off the theoretical damage for shells fired at you with you as the target. Or is it able to actually calculate blind firing e.g. as potential damage? Has someone monitored whether their potential damage goes up when blindfired at?

Potential damage is calculated by all shells and torpedos landing withing a certain area around your ship. It does not matter who was targeted. If a shell lands within X meters from you, you get it. And yes, it is possible that several people get potential damage from the same shells.

For torpedos is similar. If the torpedo ever gets withing X meter to your ships it counts as potential damage. 

[SCRUB]
Players
3,973 posts
20,769 battles
14 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

At least one player who has a working brain.

Sign in to follow this