Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nik_K

Player Behaviour/Behavior

77 comments in this topic

Players
29 posts
1,129 battles

I've been playing WOW since 2015 so i consider myself to be among the oldest players around. Lately however i have noticed troubling behaviour by some members who simply put don't like playing with people who are outside of their clans.

For example today i was playing in a random battle and i was pretty much "attacked" by someone who was obviously used in playing Clan battles with the usual comments "how long have you been playing", "do you even know how to play", "learn how to play before you play in the high tiers" etc etc etc.

So my question is this, why don't these people stick to clan battles? Or whichever battles they can play with their "friends"? Why do the mods/admins accept such behaviours?

In all likelihood this will be read by most people in Clans so i may get negative comments here but i wanted to check and see what your opinion on the matter is.

Cheers!

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,441 posts
7,103 battles

You mostly make people lose, hence the salty reactions.

My question would be if you are part of the game for such a long time what are the struggles for you to improve?

• Cool 2

Players
29 posts
1,129 battles
1 hour ago, LemonadeWarriorITA said:

You mostly make people lose, hence the salty reactions.

My question would be if you are part of the game for such a long time what are the struggles for you to improve?

I play games to test gaming peripherals (my work) and enjoy myself, i don't play them so i can get to eSports level.

That's also why i haven't joined a clan. So my recommendation to people who see this differently is either to stick to Clan Battles or to leave and go to another game, there are plenty such games around, if i wanted to play Counter Strike like 2 decades ago I'd be doing just that.

• Bad 4

Players
2,300 posts
4,794 battles

@Nik_K

I'm not trying to be rude, but claiming to have been playing for five years when your profile states "647 battles" does raise a big ol' "Press X to Doubt" for me.:cap_hmm:

I mean, I had been playing for over three years (I quit in January) and my profile lists almost 5k battles.

Other than that, I can only recommend ignoring, blocking and reporting these sorts of toxic players if you're really having a lot of trouble with them.

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,623 posts
9,604 battles

Don't play if you can't handle the truth. 

• Cool 1

Players
7,276 posts
11,668 battles
7 hours ago, Nik_K said:

That's also why i haven't joined a clan. So my recommendation to people who see this differently is either to stick to Clan Battles or to leave and go to another game, there are plenty such games around, if i wanted to play Counter Strike like 2 decades ago I'd be doing just that.

You dont seem to understand, that clanbattles can be played for about 2% of the year, if I count by hours.

Edit: not even talking about the fact, that you need to play randoms in this game by design, to advance in silver lines, which you obviously fail to gasp.

How about you take your own advice and stick to another game, preferebly a single player game where nobody can invade your safe zone? Or how about coop - there you can relax and nobody cares about you.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
2 hours ago, LOZFFVII said:

@Nik_K

I'm not trying to be rude, but claiming to have been playing for five years when your profile states "647 battles" does raise a big ol' "Press X to Doubt" for me.:cap_hmm:

I mean, I had been playing for over three years (I quit in January) and my profile lists almost 5k battles.

Other than that, I can only recommend ignoring, blocking and reporting these sorts of toxic players if you're really having a lot of trouble with them.

He did register in 2015, however you raise a valid point - he has an amount of battles that could be considered low if he had registered last year, let alone in 2015. So if the argument of "considering myself one of the oldest members around" was meant as a "old guard veteran here", then indeed, X for doubt. It's the amount of battles that counts (coupled with performance in them), if you spend 2 months between each battle that doesn't exactly make you an experienced veteran player, does it..

14 hours ago, Nik_K said:

So my question is this, why don't these people stick to clan battles? Or whichever battles they can play with their "friends"? Why do the mods/admins accept such behaviours?

As someone who averages 1 battle every 3 days with, and don't take this as a personal attack, but fairly questionable stats, you basically fit into the super casual category. So let me turn your logic around on you and ask you - why don't people like you stick to coop? You can test gaming peripherals there just as well... And you won't be ruining the game of 11 other people that were unfortunate enough to get you as a team mate, as you took a spot that could have been filled by a much better player and have, in effect, drastically lowered your team's chances of winning just by being on it. Yes, you have the right to do that, but don't expect to be liked when you do. If 544 random battles with those stats is all you could muster in 5 years, it's fair to say the chances of this improving are fairly low, so again, I ask you, why don't you stick to coop? People don't like it when they put in skill and effort but still lose due to clueless teammates. I'm not condoning toxic behaviour, but am also not surprised by it when you approach the game like this.

As for clan battles:

- they are only available during clan battle seasons, there's long periods of time in between seasons when they are not available. Are you suggesting actually good players who did make an effort to learn the game and develop the appropriate skill sets not play for months between seasons?

- when they are available, they are only available for a few hours several days a week, so, same questions apply as above; are good players not allowed to play outside of these set times?

- how are people going to grind new ships that might be needed for the ever shifting meta of clan battles? Because they sure won't be grinding a line in CB's that are always restricted to a single tier, often t10.

-how are people not going to get rusty and keep their skills in shape / upgrade them if they only play during cb seasons with long breaks in between?

- some actually find randoms enjoyable, and they play quite differently to CB's, why should they not play them because there are people there who refuse to put any effort into learning the game and improving, but don't want to be berated when they drag their teams down?

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,788 posts
21,338 battles
8 hours ago, Nik_K said:

I play games to test gaming peripherals (my work) and enjoy myself, i don't play them so i can get to eSports level.

Then do it in an environment where you will not bother anyone. Such as coop or in the training room.

You ruin the gameplay experience of others then expect it to be tolerated? Really?

Players
29 posts
1,129 battles
3 hours ago, LOZFFVII said:

@Nik_K

Some of us have lives outside the game, just because many choose to play every day of the year for multiple hours doesn't mean i wasn't registered in 2015. Been a gamer since the late 80's (when it comes to internet games from the days of Dial Up and Kali) and it's somewhat strange to see that people to this day find it more "normal" for people to spend countless hours  in front of a PC playing (and a specific game at that).

2 hours ago, _DeathWing_ said:

Don't play if you can't handle the truth. 

Been around the block long enough to not care what others think, this topic was not me caring, this topic was just a question to why Wargaming allows for such behaviours.

PS: When you have a Pommern and the enemy has an Izumo and a Georgia class both inside an 8k range due to storm firing at you, you can't win, period (somehow that player thought i could - meanwhile he was cowering with his destroyer 10k away waiting to see if i can take one out).

2 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

You dont seem to understand, that clanbattles can be played for about 2% of the year, if I count by hours.

Edit: not even talking about the fact, that you need to play randoms in this game by design, to advance in silver lines, which you obviously fail to gasp.

How about you take your own advice and stick to another game, preferebly a single player game where nobody can invade your safe zone? Or how about coop - there you can relax and nobody cares about you.

Again i don't care about what others think, if people are "hurt" just because in 5 years I 've played less than 700 times and they have over 10k times that's their problem, not mine. They could always come together and ask Wargaming to "group" players with the same amount of games into battles (i think that would work best for everyone).

1 hour ago, Captain_Newman said:

He did register in 2015, however you raise a valid point - he has an amount of battles that could be considered low if he had registered last year, let alone in 2015. So if the argument of "considering myself one of the oldest members around" was meant as a "old guard veteran here", then indeed, X for doubt. It's the amount of battles that counts (coupled with performance in them), if you spend 2 months between each battle that doesn't exactly make you an experienced veteran player, does it..

As someone who averages 1 battle every 3 days with, and don't take this as a personal attack, but fairly questionable stats, you basically fit into the super casual category. So let me turn your logic around on you and ask you - why don't people like you stick to coop? You can test gaming peripherals there just as well... And you won't be ruining the game of 11 other people that were unfortunate enough to get you as a team mate, as you took a spot that could have been filled by a much better player and have, in effect, drastically lowered your team's chances of winning just by being on it. Yes, you have the right to do that, but don't expect to be liked when you do. If 544 random battles with those stats is all you could muster in 5 years, it's fair to say the chances of this improving are fairly low, so again, I ask you, why don't you stick to coop? People don't like it when they put in skill and effort but still lose due to clueless teammates. I'm not condoning toxic behaviour, but am also not surprised by it when you approach the game like this.

As for clan battles:

- they are only available during clan battle seasons, there's long periods of time in between seasons when they are not available. Are you suggesting actually good players who did make an effort to learn the game and develop the appropriate skill sets not play for months between seasons?

- when they are available, they are only available for a few hours several days a week, so, same questions apply as above; are good players not allowed to play outside of these set times?

- how are people going to grind new ships that might be needed for the ever shifting meta of clan battles? Because they sure won't be grinding a line in CB's that are always restricted to a single tier, often t10.

-how are people not going to get rusty and keep their skills in shape / upgrade them if they only play during cb seasons with long breaks in between?

- some actually find randoms enjoyable, and they play quite differently to CB's, why should they not play them because there are people there who refuse to put any effort into learning the game and improving, but don't want to be berated when they drag their teams down?

I got a tour in Kosovo with K4 back in 2001, with your reasoning I'm less of a Veteran compared to others who had several tours, right? So no, the same applies everywhere, how many times and/or hours you've played a game matters not. As for the rest of your post there's no way for people to play with their peers in the game aside clan battles?

1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Then do it in an environment where you will not bother anyone. Such as coop or in the training room.

You ruin the gameplay experience of others then expect it to be tolerated? Really?

I too am a customer so, yes. Although judging by my stats i think i do quite well overall, certainly better than some with many times my battles that i check from time to time. Again i don't care about their opinion, Wargaming should however, it's their platform and such behaviours shouldn't be tolerated. Like i said if these people think everyone should have countless hours on this game they should demand Wargaming a solution. If that solution can't happen, then they should leave, not everyone else.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,788 posts
21,338 battles
10 minutes ago, Nik_K said:

Again i don't care about their opinion, Wargaming should however, it's their platform and such behaviours shouldn't be tolerated.

If you don't care then why do you demand WG to do something about it?

And even go as far as create a thread on the forums?

Also just because you too are a customer doesn't invalidate my point. Since, you know, the other players are customers too yet you demand your behavior to be tolerated over theirs.

• Cool 6

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
21 minutes ago, Nik_K said:

As for the rest of your post there's no way for people to play with their peers in the game aside clan battles?

Of course there is. It's called random battles. Which you didn't want the actually good players to play so you don't get berated when you throw games. So I asked you why don't you stick to coop since you clearly don't heave enough interest in the game or it's mechanics to put in any time an effort into actually becoming good at it? Why go pvp and get berated when you can just play coop, which is a mode perfectly tailored to the casual mind set? There's no shame in it...

21 minutes ago, Nik_K said:

I got a tour in Kosovo with K4 back in 2001, with your reasoning I'm less of a Veteran compared to others who had several tours, right? So no, the same applies everywhere, how many times and/or hours you've played a game matters not. As for the rest of your post there's no way for people to play with their peers in the game aside clan battles?

Your weird Kosovo example notwithstanding, someone with 500-ish battles has far less experience and practice than someone with 5000, 10000 or more battles regardless of how long they've been playing. The fact you stretched that number over 5 years doesn't make you a veteran here in the sense of having lots of experience playing wows - the amount of hours you put in is far lower than most. In fact, stretching that number over 5 years probably makes you worse than someone with an equal amount of battles but all done in 6 months, since they played often enough to actually learn and improve. If you stretch it out that much you simply aren't able to learn from experience as well as someone who plays more often. Not saying you should, you can play as often or rare as you'd like, it's just a fact, and you calling yourself a veteran with barely any battles played is a bit funny. I mean, after 5 years you don't own a single t10 ship, your highest tier is t9 and even that isn't a tech tree ship, but rather a coal one (Pommern). The highest you got at tech tree is tier 8, with.. (drum roll) 1 battle played in total. So almost no high tier gameplay experience at all. Still pressing that X on your veteran status. Let me put it this way: I could own an entire library of books. If I only read 1 page every 3 days for years, it still doesn't exactly make me well read despite me having been reading for years, because the amount of reading I actually did during that time was quite low, and I did it so little with so much time in between that by the time I got to the next page, I forgot half of what was on the previous one, and I only barely read one book. Am I as well read as someone who's read hundreds of books, then, simply on the merit of having owned a library for years? I'm not sure why I have to explain this, it should be common sense.

• Cool 2

Players
29 posts
1,129 battles
16 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

If you don't care then why do you demand WG to do something about it?

And even go as far as create a thread on the forums?

Also just because you too are a customer doesn't invalidate my point. Since, you know, the other players are customers too yet you demand your behavior to be tolerated over theirs.

So you are saying that game experience equals behaviour? How old are you? Honestly now, this is strange to say the least.

16 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

Of course there is. It's called random battles. Which you didn't want the actually good players to play so you don't get berated when you throw games. So I asked you why don't you stick to coop since you clearly don't heave enough interest in the game or it's mechanics to put in any time an effort into actually becoming good at it? Why go pvp and get berated when you can just play coop, which is a mode perfectly tailored to the casual mind set? There's no shame in it...

Your weird Kosovo example notwithstanding, someone with 500-ish battles has far less experience and practice than someone with 5000, 10000 or more battles regardless of how long they've been playing. The fact you stretched that number over 5 years doesn't make you a veteran here in the sense of having lots of experience playing wows - the amount of hours you put in is far lower than most. In fact, stretching that number over 5 years probably makes you worse than someone with an equal amount of battles but all done in 6 months, since they played often enough to actually learn and improve. If you stretch it out that much you simply aren't able to learn from experience as well as someone who plays more often. Not saying you should, you can play as often or rare as you'd like, it's just a fact, and you calling yourself a veteran with barely any battles played is a bit funny. I mean, after 5 years you don't own a single t10 ship, your highest tier is t9 and even that isn't a tech tree ship, but rather a coal one (Pommern). The highest you got at tech tree was tier 8. Still pressing that X on your veteran status. Let me put it this way: I could own an entire library of books. If I only read 1 page every 3 days for years, it still doesn't exactly make me well read despite me having been reading for years, because the amount of reading I actually did during that time was quite low, and I did it so little with so much time in between that by the time I got to the next page, I forgot half of what was on the previous one. I'm not sure why I have to explain this, it should be common sense.

Again if you people have a problem with the system direct your input to Wargaming, if they can't fix it then so be it. Negative behaviour shouldn't be tolerated and from what i read in the forums countless gamers have that issue (from people swearing and belittling them in chat to people putting negative Karma to them). We didn't have such behaviours online 20+ years ago, to have them now is just ridiculous.

So your example to oppose my example is books? There are veteran book readers out there? I think some of you are missing the entire point, deliberately of course. So again, someone with 1 tour in Vietnam back in the 60's is less of a Veteran compared to someone with 10 tours? You see this is a valid example, book reading no it's not.

Practise and experience has Nothing literally Nothing to do with being a Veteran at something. The Veteran word was created to describe  seniority, someone who has a history with something, not who is better at something, Veteran doesn't mean "experienced" (although in the gaming sense this word has been used by companies to describe that, still that's not what the word means).

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
7 minutes ago, Nik_K said:

The Veteran word was created to describe  seniority, someone who has a history with something, not who is better at something, Veteran doesn't mean "experienced" (although in the gaming sense this word has been used by companies to describe that, still that's not what the word means).

In the gaming world "veteran" and "experienced" mean largely the same. But getting bogged down in semantics isn't productive. You still haven't answered why you insist on randoms (pvp mode) when you clearly don't care about your performance or much about the game mechanics in general. Why aren't you playing coop? Do you know what it is and how to switch modes? It can provide you with the experience of pressing W a few times, shooting some ships, and dying just as well as randoms can, only without angry toxic people belittling you for throwing the game.

Also not sure what the point of this thread is? Salty toxic players berating each other is as old as online gaming. Was this thread meant to put a stop to it? Because I have some bad news for you if so.

And again, I don't condone toxicity and when someone really goes over the top (racist slurs, even had death threats after torping a guy, etc) I do contact support and get them banned. As for the "good job potato, you threw the game" kind of comments, eh, ignore, or report, just stop making threads about them please. It won't change anything.

• Cool 3

Players
29 posts
1,129 battles
Just now, Captain_Newman said:

In the gaming world "veteran" and "experienced" mean largely the same. But getting bogged down in semantics isn't productive. You still haven't answered why you insist on randoms (pvp mode) when you clearly don't care about your performance or much about the game mechanics in general. Why aren't you playing coop? Do you know what it is and how to switch modes?

I am not playing an online game so i can play against the computer essentially, easy. And again you are right, what matters is the end result. If some of you don't like playing PvP with people who have less time in the game than you talk to Wargaming. If they can't do that suck it up and stop behaving like you own the game. How about it? Too hard?

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

If they can't do that suck it up and stop behaving like you own the game. How about it? Too hard?

Do you see the irony here? You literally made this thread because of your failure to suck it up. Like I said above, when someone crosses a line that breaks the game rules, report them to support. If someone doesn't do that but you still don't like something they said or did, you have the option to report them using the in-game menu. Neither of which options requires ranting about it in a thread.

No, I won't cross the line and insult you in a way that breaks the game rules if you potato hard and throw the game. I may have a sarcastic comment or two, though, because if there's 11 people trying to win and you're there just doing whatever because you can't be bothered to learn, well, those 11 might see you as selfish since you put your own "just for my personal fun, cba to improve" mind set over the fact there's 11 other people on your team counting on you. If you don't care about that, don't expect to be liked or appreciated when you throw a game.

Your options:

- talk back;

- ignore;

- block said user;

- turn off chat;

- report;

- contact support;

- switch to coop or another game.

You're free to pick any of those as long as it's the last option.

• Cool 4

Players
29 posts
1,129 battles

Do you see the irony here? You literally made this thread because of your failure to suck it up. Like I said above, when someone crosses a line that breaks the game rules, report them to support. If someone doesn't do that but you still don't like something they said or did, you have the option to report them using the in-game menu. Neither of which options requires ranting about it in a thread.

Do you think in the 5 years I've played this was the only time i read such comments? If i cared I'd have started another thread long, long ago.

Still after reading that others too have the same issue (and others do seem to care) i wondered why Wargaming doesn't do something about it (reporting doesn't work, this should be made automatic, and yes it can be done) and let's face it, nothing attracts attention like a forum post. I may not care about the opinion of others but at the same time it's getting tiresome to have to block people just because they can't be civil. 

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
9 minutes ago, Nik_K said:

Do you think in the 5 years I've played this was the only time i read such comments? If i cared I'd have started another thread long, long ago. 

No, I don’t, given your stats I can totally believe that you get berated for your gameplay a lot.

Have you considered learning the basics and improving? Genuine question, not having a go - I won’t tell you that it will completely eliminate those comments because there’s still salty idiots that berate even good players because of their own lack of understanding - but if you’re good, it does become a lot less frequent.

Also imagine thinking forum threads attract attention in 2020 :cap_haloween:

These kinds of threads are common. They change nothing, so again, ignore, report, block, or switch game / mode. I guarantee you this thread will accomplish about as much as dozens others like it - nothing.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,788 posts
21,338 battles
29 minutes ago, Nik_K said:

So you are saying that game experience equals behaviour? How old are you? Honestly now, this is strange to say the least.

Your behavior worsens their game experience. Apparently you don't care about their behavior yet complain about it here so it would appear that it worsens your experience too.

Now tell me, why should your case be favored over theirs?

• Cool 2

Players
29 posts
1,129 battles

No, I don’t, given your stats I can totally believe that you get berated for your gameplay a lot.

Have you considered learning the basics and improving? Genuine question, not having a go - I won’t tell you that it will completely eliminate those comments because there’s still salty idiots that berate even good players because of their own lack of understanding - but if you’re good, it does become a lot less frequent.

If by learning the basics you mean play as others would like me to, no, not interested in that. I am playing to enjoy myself, not necessarily to win.

It's never hard to learn how to play a game and i learned the mechanics behind WoW almost immediately, playing however the way i should just to win makes things far less fun and interesting for me and in the end why play at all?

Sure no one likes to lose but the result of a battle will not depend on 1 ship, if it comes down to the performance of 1 ship then many others weren't good either.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Players
29 posts
1,129 battles
Just now, El2aZeR said:

Your behavior worsens their game experience. Apparently you don't care about their behavior yet complain about it here so it would appear that it worsens your experience too.

Now tell me, why should your case be favored over theirs?

So behaviour for you is that i don't play the game like they would want me to......Ok i got my answer, thanks :)

[2DQT]
Players
405 posts
3,768 battles
17 hours ago, Nik_K said:

I've been playing WOW since 2015 so i consider myself to be among the oldest players around. Lately however i have noticed troubling behaviour by some members who simply put don't like playing with people who are outside of their clans.

For example today i was playing in a random battle and i was pretty much "attacked" by someone who was obviously used in playing Clan battles with the usual comments "how long have you been playing", "do you even know how to play", "learn how to play before you play in the high tiers" etc etc etc.

In all likelihood this will be read by most people in Clans so i may get negative comments here but i wanted to check and see what your opinion on the matter is.

Cheers!

Our clan is not like that, ofc I might say something if you kill a ally, but otherwise I dont comment on new players.

But disable chat and you wont be bothered by elitists who dont want to learn you anything so they can keep looking down on you.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,788 posts
21,338 battles
1 minute ago, Nik_K said:

So behaviour for you is that i don't play the game like they would want me to.

You have literally just admitted that your gameplay is toxic.

Or if you need a refresher:

2 minutes ago, Nik_K said:

If by learning the basics you mean play as others would like me to, no, not interested in that. I am playing to enjoy myself, not necessarily to win.

So, once again I can only ask, why should your toxic behavior be tolerated yet other toxic behavior be punished?

• Cool 2

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

And who cares about the other 11 in your team. Gee, I wonder why your team mates don't like you. They should totally appreciate you for "doing your own thing" and throwing games.

It's never hard to learn how to play a game and i learned the mechanics behind WoW almost immediately, playing however the way i should just to win makes things far less fun and interesting for me and in the end why play at all?

Yes, I'm quite sure you've learned to play as a super unicum, but that just wasn't doing it for you, I mean potato moves where you get obliterated after doing 2k damage in your t8 BB, and then lose the game, that's the sort of riveting gameplay that gets the blood pumping.

X for doubt.

Sure no one likes to lose but the result of a battle will not depend on 1 ship, if it comes down to the performance of 1 ship then many others weren't good either.

I thought you said you don't play to win, therefore you must like losing, or at least don't mind it...

• Cool 1

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,623 posts
9,604 battles

已解决: Turn off the new ribbon and go back to the old style - Autodesk  Community - FeatureCAM

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Players
29 posts
1,129 battles
Just now, El2aZeR said:

You have literally just admitted that your gameplay is toxic.

Or if you need a refresher:

So, once again I can only ask, why should your toxic behavior be tolerated yet other toxic behavior be punished?

That you simply can't grasp that WOW is not an Pro eSports platform aimed towards only those who can sit in front of their computers and play countless hours (and not for fun obviously but for self-entitlement) is a serious issue. Even worse you compare people attacking others with how someone chooses to play the game. I would ask your age again but i think it's clear.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Sign in to follow this