Jump to content
Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

Alaska or Aegir or Friesland? The time has come

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

I will try to draw a kinda of profile of myself

 

Friesland

 

To be honest i don't have experience in DDs, but in co-op Nicholas it's among one of my go to ships of the second line for mission requirements, it's a shark and i love it, I don't know why but Farragut  not so much, i also have Akizuki, what a absolute beast, it's totally my cup of tea, the torps are there for show 98% of the times only being use if i really, really have to,  when i'm about to lose concealment 4km /5km away. I guess i'm playing RU ships too much

The biggest selling point of Friesland as far I'm concern  it's the lack of torps , the lack of BS , even faster to shoot than Akizuki, with smoke and with Hydro ( i would gladly trade Aki torps for an Hydro)

That being said, it's use would be limited, cause i don't dare to bring a DD in random or sprint.

But i'm expecting An Aki with hydro

 

Alaska or Aegir

 

While i'm a cruiser main i rarely adventure past T7 , it seems t8 cruisers don't have the agility of t6 cruisers which i miss, so i'm turning to BBs after T7, That being said,  i use to make sorties to upper tiers, I got Moskva before it turned into a special ship, i love Shchors (one of my go to ships)  but i hated Chappy (i will never play that pig again kinda of hate) but i found Donskoy a very capable ship and comfortable ship to be in, it's ok. I love Balti and Buffalo seems promising ..

Moskva, in tests ( i have a 4 point captain),  i already saw why it's called "Battleship" you are walking a thin thread with it but you can citadel BBs and bounce their shells and has a decent rate of fire. 

 

 

So, in your opinion which ship should i get?

 

which one it's the meanest motherf***er in the valley and the funniest to play with?

 

Sigma values if you may.

 

Thank you.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DREAD]
Players
10,756 posts
7,438 battles

Alaska is a fantastic ship - I would say she is a safe bet. Not exactly agile like a T6 cruiser but very well suited for the meta and quite a lot of fun. Reminds me I use mine far to seldom.

 

Ägir I do not own but as she is not going to be removed anytime soon and it is doubtful she is better than Alaska (probably no T9 cruiser is) - I would hold m fire on Ägir or go for Siegfried instead.

 

Now Friesland is a great ship but I am probably the wrong Expert to give advice on her. She has fantastic guns though, very good AA and can daka. The lack of torps can be strange for me if you meet someone too close but the ship is certainly good as long as the captain is decent. Plus: I love the looks of the boat 

 

 

My opinion is - since she gets removed soon - get yourself Alaska. I doubt anyone getting her will regret it. The other two will probably be around a little longer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
279 posts
6,224 battles
22 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

To be honest i don't have experience in DDs, but in co-op Nicholas it's among one of my go to ships of the second line for mission requirements, it's a shark and i love it, I don't know why but Farragut  not so much,

not strictly on topic, but ive finally bought a farragut and took her out brand new stock in newport yesterday for her 1st time out ever.

this is the result:

unknown.png

 

i think i might like this ship already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,623 posts
9,595 battles

Alaska

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
3,438 posts
14,144 battles

The Alaska always was by far the preferred choice in these threads.

 

Now we know the Alaska is going, you really should grab her!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
279 posts
6,224 battles
1 minute ago, gopher31 said:

Now we know the Alaska is going, you really should grab her!

Do we know when exactly she's going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,576 posts
15,046 battles
44 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

So, in your opinion which ship should i get?

Alaska, for the unimaginative reason that the cruiser meisters almost all seem to think she's one of the best cruisers in the game, and she's being pulled from sale in a couple of months (+/-).

 

Friesland is fun and interesting (pure dakka; no torps), but I would view her as non-essential, and she isn't about to be removed. I don't have Aegir yet, but - again - she's not being removed any time soon, as far as we know, so less pressing than Alaska.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,175 posts
7,578 battles
58 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

Farragut  not so much

 

Farragut is one of the best carry-ships at tier 6 due to her often being underestimated by other destroyers in terms of firepower, while also having useable torps for larger ships. So, if you do not enjoy the Farragut playstyle of contesting caps and sinking enemy destroyers (in addition to shooting from smoke), I doubt you will like the Friesland.

 

As for the cruisers, Alaska is much better than Ægir in most situations (1vs.1 being the notable exception) and she is scheduled for removal so there is little reason to not get her.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles

Alaska all day every day. You can bully around any other cruiser - kick the whatsits out of careless BBs and microwave DDs with radar. 

 

Agir is fun but nowhere near as universally useful.

 

Friesland is fun in a silly/daft kind of way - but its a purely gunboat DD that can only do damage with a pair of twin bofors 120mms. Lack of torps gives you limited damage-dealing power in some MMs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,494 posts
17,269 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Butterdoll sagte:

The biggest selling point of Friesland as far I'm concern  it's the lack of torps , the lack of BS , even faster to shoot than Akizuki, with smoke and with Hydro ( i would gladly trade Aki torps for an Hydro)

That being said, it's use would be limited, cause i don't dare to bring a DD in random or sprint.

But i'm expecting An Aki with hydro

I wouldn't compare or describe Friesland as a t9 akizuki that trades torps for Hydro. 

 

Gun handling is different, esp in terms of what you can pen and what you can not. 

 

That all aside I would consider it a waste to spend 1m fxp on a t9 dd that you will only use in coop. Esp for a DD that is pretty special in terms of play style, can't be used for any DD mission that requires high tier + torps and outside of coop needs a very high level captain. Who unless you also own smaland or Orkan, doesn't really meshs well with the more torp centric play style of the euro DD line. 

 

If you need (main gun) hit ribbons you can do it with Aki already, no need to waste 1m fxp on Friesland unless your either a DD main or Dutch. 

 

Zitat

Alaska or Aegir

 

While i'm a cruiser main i rarely adventure past T7 , it seems t8 cruisers don't have the agility of t6 cruisers which i miss, so i'm turning to BBs after T7... 

Neither is an agile boat, but both offer more bang for your buck as a cruiser main than Friesland. 

Zitat

 

So, in your opinion which ship should i get?

 

which one it's the meanest motherf***er in the valley and the funniest to play with?

Alaska, because... She is a mean mothertrucker, she is way more versatile than aegir due to access to us radar. 

 

And as has already been said by the previous commenters, she is the only ship on your list that will get pulled from the tree as an purchase option in the near future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,055 posts
8,570 battles

Alaska feels like playing a squishy BB. It has BB guns, but she is even more squishy than a Georgia. She has radar, but her HE is too weak to deal with DDs alone. Agir feels like playing a super Scharnhorst, with precise guns. Alaska is more OP, but I have more fun in Agir. I’d get Alaska first, as it’s being removed early February.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
896 posts
6,058 battles

Although I do not have ANY serious experience in any of them (especially in Randoms), I do own all three. My personal advice:

 

Personally, I do not have a serious preference for either three, however:

 

 

- Friesland is somewhat tricky to play well (easier in Co-op than randoms) mostly because of her concealment, and her being a one-trick pony. If you have an aggressive enemy who dares to push you, you can be in serious trouble. She is a great ship for certain Co-op missions though. But to get her for that alone?

- Aegir can be fun, a bit of a super cruiser. Thing is, she will probably be available for quite some time.

- Alaska with its radar and hard hitting guns, I think you can arguably get more out of her than out of Aegir. More importantly, she will be gone in about 2 months. 

 

Personally, if I were forced to chose between the three of them: Alaska first.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CKBK]
Beta Tester
939 posts
11,368 battles

Alaska if you're planning to use it in T9 ranked/clan battles. But Ægir is equally fun.

 

I have both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,150 posts
18,072 battles

Get Alaska since it will get removed soon.

 

It is also quite a mean ship.

Friesland is decent, but there are better tier 9 DDs. Biggest plus is smoke and good AA, but it has no heal so CV will quickly eat it (or smoke charges).

Dont have Ægir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
3,438 posts
14,144 battles
32 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Alaska feels like playing a squishy BB. It has BB guns, but she is even more squishy than a Georgia. She has radar, but her HE is too weak to deal with DDs alone. Agir feels like playing a super Scharnhorst, with precise guns. Alaska is more OP, but I have more fun in Agir. I’d get Alaska first, as it’s being removed early February.

 

Not when broadside! Alaska Citadel is tricky.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOATY]
Players
878 posts
15,249 battles
4 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

I will try to draw a kinda of profile of myself

 

Friesland

 

To be honest i don't have experience in DDs, but in co-op Nicholas it's among one of my go to ships of the second line for mission requirements, it's a shark and i love it, I don't know why but Farragut  not so much, i also have Akizuki, what a absolute beast, it's totally my cup of tea, the torps are there for show 98% of the times only being use if i really, really have to,  when i'm about to lose concealment 4km /5km away. I guess i'm playing RU ships too much

The biggest selling point of Friesland as far I'm concern  it's the lack of torps , the lack of BS , even faster to shoot than Akizuki, with smoke and with Hydro ( i would gladly trade Aki torps for an Hydro)

That being said, it's use would be limited, cause i don't dare to bring a DD in random or sprint.

But i'm expecting An Aki with hydro

 

Alaska or Aegir

 

While i'm a cruiser main i rarely adventure past T7 , it seems t8 cruisers don't have the agility of t6 cruisers which i miss, so i'm turning to BBs after T7, That being said,  i use to make sorties to upper tiers, I got Moskva before it turned into a special ship, i love Shchors (one of my go to ships)  but i hated Chappy (i will never play that pig again kinda of hate) but i found Donskoy a very capable ship and comfortable ship to be in, it's ok. I love Balti and Buffalo seems promising ..

Moskva, in tests ( i have a 4 point captain),  i already saw why it's called "Battleship" you are walking a thin thread with it but you can citadel BBs and bounce their shells and has a decent rate of fire. 

 

 

So, in your opinion which ship should i get?

 

which one it's the meanest motherf***er in the valley and the funniest to play with?

 

Sigma values if you may.

 

Thank you.

 

 

 

 

I actually have all three.

 

Friesland is a fun boat, but you can not see it as a dd. A dd hunter/ support fire boat sure, but your lack of torps are going to be a bit of a pain, still this thing is hilarious when you are in a nice smoke bank just pumping out the HE shells setting multiple fires. In a 1v1 against a dd if you can duck the torps you have a clear fire power advantage as long as you can aim.

 

Alaska is probably the best t9 supercruiser. Its HE is solid, Its AP is the doom of many cruisers and can spike some nice upper hull/ deck damage. Factor in the Radar and you have a nasty package. It also has some great gun angles allowing for kiting style of play as well as angled pushes with support from other bbs.

 

Agir is probably the 2nd best t9 supercruiser and in some ways has advantages over Alaska, but Alaska is still #1. Agir is pretty accurate with its dispersion and it comes with German HE pen so you can always get damage no matter the targets relative position to you. You also get some turtle back which works for cruiser fire but bbs will find your soft juicy center and destroy you. Topping off the awesome of agir is secondary guns, even without a secondary build these things are insanely accurate and if they are firing that means you have a target for your torps. The torps are nothing to write home about but you would be surprised how often people forget it has them..

 

All in all I would rate as follows.

1. Alaska

2. Agir

3. Friesland.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,544 posts
20,662 battles

I play Friesland more but for you Alaska sounds like the better choice. Agir is fun too I hear, but I have Siegfried instead, which is as much fun but different from the Alaska.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

Between those three, and after taking a look at your profile to see what you do best in, I'd go with Alaska.

 

Don't get me wrong, Friesland is excellent, but she's not easy to play - anyone not a very experienced DD player will likely have a bad time in her. That leaves Agir and Alaska, and between the two, Alaska is straight up, no competition better. She's also getting removed soon while the Agir will likely remain available for at least 6 months to a year.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ARKA]
Players
26 posts
20,568 battles

Alaska is the way as Mando would say.....

 

It is an incredibly easy decision tbh, Alaska is simply put a monster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

Thank you all guys.

 

I got some pretty cool information from you. some hands on information. and to call  me back to reason

I remember Mogami and everyone praised how fun  to play and squishy it was, When Hallo ops came i made a faulty build in Octupus because no one mentioned the turret transverse sucked.

I wish i made a topic back then.

So, thank you.

Alaska it will be.

 

@EmilyKing

 

I'm not saying farragut is a bad ship, far from it,  i'm just saying i didn't clicked as well as i clicked with Nicholas

Nicholas/ Farragut, I just want to share a little review. - General Discussion - World of Warships official forum

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×