You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

CV protection by matchmaking

13 comments in this topic

Players
3,001 posts
22,244 battles

Hi,

a few of you might remember that I started keeping stats on the percentage of carrier Random battles I get with any given ship about a year ago or so because I thought that WG futzes with the matchmaking in order to protect aircraft carriers even more. So that on top of all the other protections for their precious CVs, the sacred class also has to endure fewer battles against those rare DDs that have almost adequate AA, viz., the top European ones.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11G0IGENL2SOSoJx8yP6Sz_RhVIk0hovHasSaWKiw1KM/edit#gid=1420727126

Admittedly, over time that suspicion was not borne out by the numbers, with both Friesland and Benham getting about the same 35.odd % of CV battles which is actually about one percent less than my tier average. And in any event, it was explained to me that even several dozens of battles per ship do not make the numbers statistically reliable. So I am reluctant to base more than very general trends on these numbers, not the least since they are a bit error-prone because I failed to devise a way to automate the count, or even just to make it semi-automatic, like by adding a button to the spreadsheet that just increases the number in question by one for each click. [1]

That said though, in these past few weeks the feeling of something being wrong has returned. I can't seem to get in a Benham game these days without getting the godam fun police while Friesland gets barely any CVs. So three days ago I started a new count, and although these numbers are not even in the single digits yet, the ratio is actually 80% for Benham and 0% for Friesland.

My current hypothesis is that some matchmaking rule is to blame for that, and at the top of my list is the mirroring of ship nationalities. "If possible, ships of different nations are distributed between teams on an even basis." Since there are US and Japanese and German and English carriers, but no Swedish ones, it stands to reason that the matchmaker is more prone to rope in a carrier for DDs of these nations to fulfill this rule, while it can't do that for European ships.

I am not very algorithmically minded though, so what do you say?

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Matchmaking#Other_restrictions_in_Random_Battles

Spoiler

[1] Although that can apparently be done in Google spreadsheets, you need to write a discrete script and upload a discrete image for each of these buttons. You cannot simply drag or copy-paste them in the way you can every other kind of cell content. So that was way too much work for my taste.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[2DQT]
Players
404 posts
3,590 battles

Div a Benham with a Friesland and see if the game explodes....

(In all seriousness, your nation theory would explain why Friesland gets so few CV battles)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[BOATY]
Players
881 posts
15,287 battles
9 minutes ago, Bear__Necessities said:

My Halland get nothing but CV games. 

IKR. 

Players
3,001 posts
22,244 battles
Vor 5 Stunden, Bear__Necessities sagte:

As per the spreadsheet, mine gets just 52% on the EU server.

But that is Tier X which gets more CVs anyway.

Even on the NA server, it's just 68%.

The difference is that I'm completely happy to play Halland without CVs since the torps are great and the stealth is adequate. Friesland, not so much. And Benham is completely ruined if the enemy CV is even semi-conscious.

• Cool 1

Players
3,001 posts
22,244 battles
Am 28.11.2020 um 00:10, rimmer_the sagte:

(In all seriousness, your nation theory would explain why Friesland gets so few CV battles)

Then the only logical answer is to demand...

Spoiler

Swedish Aircraft Carriers!!1

• Funny 1

[I-J-N]
Players
6,127 posts
On 11/28/2020 at 2:22 AM, Bear__Necessities said:

Use a full AA build. Problem solved! :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

@FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

you play way too many ships and very few battles in each one of them.

I think i would be a better subject than you, just take a look  at my profile, t6 and t7 i  could help you with that if you want.

It would take some time but i could provide you with a more focused and reliable data as a much bigger sample size just in a couple of ships.

Let me know if you want my help.

MM experience may vary person to person.