QueenIxxxo

Recent Linux crash at startup (mem/virtmem issue) and fix - now fixed completely!

16 comments in this topic

[O-S-W]
Players
7 posts
3,679 battles

Some people reported issues since last day or two (update of WG launcher possibly?) on Linux Steam.  Game started crashing during Loading phase on memory or virtual memory issue eventhough it perfectly ran for 4 months before on daily basis.  Issue can be fixed by downgrading Proton to 3.16-9.  Issue is described at ProtonDB and GitHub of Proton:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/333

There's a bit more stutter with 3.16-9, but at least game is playable, so far seems stable last 2-3 hours.

EDIT: Regression has been somehow resolved, game now again works with Proton 5.13-2!  Thanks WG! <3

Edited by QueenIxxxo
Update
  • Cool 3

[PV]
[PV]
Players
87 posts
11,855 battles

Thanks for the info! I was wondering whether there was some undocumented patch - as of yesterday the game refuses to start under Lutris, too.
Been running perfectly before. Will try Proton 3.16-9 and let people know if it works under Lutris. Steam is no option for me, unfortunately, as long as linking to an existing WG account is not possible.

• Cool 1

[GG-EZ]
Players
2,631 posts
13,455 battles

Have tried a bazillion things yesterday, couldn't get it to work anymore. I joined the dark side & installed a winblows partition on a small SSD that I had laying around.

I'm gonna bet MS is giving weegee a small allowance each month to screw over other OS's. 5 bucks or so would probably suffice.

• Cool 1

[PV]
[PV]
Players
87 posts
11,855 battles

What does work under Lutris is: Wine settings to Win7,
Lutris Runner options:
Wine version: 5.21 (Staging)
Use system winetricks on
Enable DXVK off
Enable Esync on
all the rest off

Graphics is a bit off (red circles around gun reload timers, cursor is a black rectangle) and I experienced lags after a number of matches,
but it clearly is playable and seems stable and on the plus side I haven't experienced the widely reported issue of invisible shells and opponent
ships that WGs introduced with the 0.9.10 dirty hack patch.

• Cool 1

[YEET]
Players
14 posts
4,355 battles
10 hours ago, olomeron said:

Lutris Runner options:
Use system winetricks on
Enable DXVK off
Enable Esync on
all the rest off

Graphics is a bit off (red circles around gun reload timers, cursor is a black rectangle) and I experienced lags after a number of matches,
but it clearly is playable and seems stable and on the plus side I haven't experienced the widely reported issue of invisible shells and opponent

Ah ok, DXVK off, then it starts at least... Good to narrow it down more...

More info here:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/333

and:

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/1834

• Cool 1

[O-S-W]
Players
7 posts
3,679 battles
22 hours ago, olomeron said:

Lutris Runner options:
Use system winetricks on
Enable DXVK off
Enable Esync on
all the rest off

With DXVK off you fall back to WineD3D which is reported to have its own quirks (eg. you don't see deployed smoke).  I'd try to get it running on DXVK as much as possible.

[PV]
[PV]
Players
87 posts
11,855 battles
12 hours ago, QueenIxxxo said:

With DXVK off you fall back to WineD3D which is reported to have its own quirks (eg. you don't see deployed smoke).  I'd try to get it running on DXVK as much as possible.

True, of course. Will try to get Proton 3.16 linked to Lutris. I have 5.0 for some reason (even twice in the options) and suspect it has been installed via steam, but 3.16 is not available. Also, while the game seemed working on Steam a while ago, WGs and Steam's incapability to link existing accounts makes Steam itself useless for WOWs, unfortunately. Don't understand these linking issues - it would immediately solve all Linux issues for WGs and get Mac plus Linux customers directly satisfied. Meh - suppose fixing things that ain't broken and shoving tons of unhistorical fantasy steamers in the game has priority for the devels :/

Players
12 posts
13,891 battles

Seems to be working on lutris with this settings :

1) Download wine 5.22 (x86_64) from playonlinux

2) configure wgc runner to use it

3) launch wgc and wait... -> there is no output but a black window and the icon in the task bar....

4) Run EXE inside the prefix and choose : ~/Games/wargaming-game-center/drive_c/Games/World_of_Warships_EU/bin/3052606/bin64/WorldOfWarships64.exe

The game launches and has a successfull connexion. It runs with no DXVK 1.7.2

You can now  create a new shortcut to launch ~/Games/wargaming-game-center/drive_c/Games/World_of_Warships_EU/bin/3052606/bin64/WorldOfWarships64.exe

Enjoy...

First battle completely OK with no glitch. :Smile_Default:

image.png

I just tried with "DXVK on" with no luck.... WGC launches OK with both an OK window and icon but the game fails...

• Cool 1

[PV]
[PV]
Players
87 posts
11,855 battles
4 hours ago, Polo_poubelle said:

Seems to be working on lutris with this settings :

1) Download wine 5.22 (x86_64) from playonlinux

2) configure wgc runner to use it

3) launch wgc and wait... -> there is no output but a black window and the icon in the task bar....

4) Run EXE inside the prefix and choose : ~/Games/wargaming-game-center/drive_c/Games/World_of_Warships_EU/bin/3052606/bin64/WorldOfWarships64.exe

The game launches and has a successfull connexion. It runs with no DXVK 1.7.2

You can now  create a new shortcut to launch ~/Games/wargaming-game-center/drive_c/Games/World_of_Warships_EU/bin/3052606/bin64/WorldOfWarships64.exe

Enjoy...

First battle completely OK with no glitch. :Smile_Default:

image.png

I just tried with "DXVK on" with no luck.... WGC launches OK with both an OK window and icon but the game fails...

Thanks for the hint, seems to work, though stutters occur after a handful of matches and the graphics is a bit distracted without DXVK but it's playable. Also, the problems of today (crash after every match) disappeared. Haven't observed the issue with the invisible ships and frozen map since... maybe this is gone now.

Cheers!

Players
2 posts

I use Lutris to start World of Warships and for me the game now works again like it did befor November 25th. No tweaks nessesary.

[YEET]
Players
14 posts
4,355 battles

Yeah, a lot of people agree that the game works like before now again!

Uhm... Thanks WG, I guess! :-)

• Cool 1

[O-S-W]
Players
7 posts
3,679 battles

8 hours ago, zappor said:

Yeah, a lot of people agree that the game works like before now again!

Uhm... Thanks WG, I guess! :-)

This exactly, just tested, works again nicely with Proton 5.13-2.  Thanks WG! :)  I'll update the OP.

(Would be absolutely stunning, if we could get some simplified answer what was changed.)

[PV]
[PV]
Players
87 posts
11,855 battles

Confirmed - back working. Thanks, WG! Hope the invisible-ships and frozen-minimap bug is the next now? ;)