Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

When and why did WG break the autopilot?

16 comments in this topic

Players
2,688 posts
21,668 battles

Such as it was.

By which I mean:

Used to be that you could change the speed setting. As long as you did not set it to all stop or change direction altogether, the autopilot remained active. Which was very useful.

For example when using the autopilot to thread the ship through a channel while focusing on shooting the enemy, you could vary the speed to a degree while still avoiding to ground the ship.

Only dabbing any of the rudder keys, stopping or reversing direction would switch off the autopilot. Now, a change of speed already does.

Another reworsening, or is there a benefit I fail to see?

Possibly to benefit a certain dumbed down OP class of ships that everybody hates like the plague?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Tbh, any extensive usage of autopilot in a non-CV is already questionable. And how does a crappier autopilot benefit a class that has to actually heavily rely on that autopilot?

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

It certainly isn't benefitting CVs. For the most part, autopilot is crap and always kind of was. It gained new abilities (e.g. actually trying to reverse if stuck on an island frontally), but I guess it lost some other things. If you don't have to use it, don't use it.

[SHAD]
Players
2,939 posts
12,673 battles

Why did Wargaming do something silly?

Same answer as usual: to accommodate CV players.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Players
2,688 posts
21,668 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, gopher31 sagte:

Yes well maybe but how exactly does it help them?

I mean they now, too, have to remember to first set the speed, then set the map points, or else delete all their course planning with a flick of the throttle.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,451 posts
20,570 battles

When? Sometime in the middle of 2019.

Why? Because as usual WG thought they're improving something when in reality they were making it worse.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
4,383 posts

The worst bug for me is that autopilot does not always stop (lets say i want to put the cv behind an island, but still far enough to maneuver left or right if needed). I find my CV ramming the island.

Sometimes I set a path for the CV only fo find minutes later that CV decided to rush the enemy spawn (without ever going into M view).

I never use it on any other ship class.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,940 posts
19,550 battles
On 11/25/2020 at 9:28 PM, gopher31 said:

Why did Wargaming do something silly?

Makes no sense at all in this topic.

:edit:

But at least now I realized why WG is dumbing down this game ...

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles
8 hours ago, lup3s said:

Makes no sense at all in this topic.

:edit:

But at least now I realized why WG is dumbing down this game ...

It makes perfect sense as, prior to the rework, there were no Autopilot issues reported - the autopilot got messed around with and broken (causing far more issues than it solved) only due to WG's CV-Rework as prior to then RTS CV players had no issues using the Autopilot.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,940 posts
19,550 battles
27 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

It makes perfect sense as, prior to the rework, there were no Autopilot issues reported - the autopilot got messed around with and broken (causing far more issues than it solved) only due to WG's CV-Rework as prior to then RTS CV players had no issues using the Autopilot.

I get your point, but with the CV rework it makes even less sense to have a crappy autopilot (since you have to recall your squad if you want to manually steer your ship) - so I don't really see why WG is making this mistake for the CV players (since they are the most/worst affected).

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles
1 hour ago, lup3s said:

I get your point, but with the CV rework it makes even less sense to have a crappy autopilot (since you have to recall your squad if you want to manually steer your ship) - so I don't really see why WG is making this mistake for the CV players (since they are the most/worst affected).

I agree, it makes no sense. I think they were trying to make the Autopilot more "new CV player" friendly so CV's could just concentrate on flying but they somehow broke it and now don't know how to fix it without removing all the post-rework fixes they tried.

Players
98 posts
5,486 battles
2 hours ago, IanH755 said:

The autopilot is BS for CVs as well, can literally kill them

Players
1,260 posts
19,709 battles
4 hours ago, IanH755 said:

There were autopilot issues in RTS times, like the collision avoidance messing up with it: if you got too close to an island with your established path, the avoidance kicked in and the ship kept sailing in a straight line afterwards even if the autopilot waypoints were still set and visible, so you had to give a touch to the rudder then set a new path.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Only dabbing any of the rudder keys, stopping or reversing direction would switch off the autopilot. Now, a change of speed already does.

And conversely, setting a brand new path changes your speed to ahead full, which wasn't the case in RTS times. I've experienced it recently since I'm grinding Hakuryu's LU and already ground Midway's, although the first time I noticed that was with Furious in Killer Whale. I haven't tried moving the waypoints around though, basically because in the heat of the battle it's faster clicking than dragging. Maybe even that option has been removed.

Salute.

Players
2,523 posts

Don't be silly.

WG never breaks things. They always improve them in accordance with FFS*

*Fun Factor Spreadsheet

Sign in to follow this