Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MacFergus

Carrier Advice

43 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
950 posts
3,432 battles

I have recently come back to play Wows after a 2 year break , I have decided to play CV's but need some advice from CV players.

As of now I'm playing coop to try and fine tune my skills before i commit to random.

I would like to know what specific traits each nation has when using equipment as far as i can tell the Japanese have Torp Aircraft as their main selling point but what about the rest of the nations I'm a bit confused.

The same can be said about crew skills again very confusing apart from the Japanese.

Thx for reading.

Beta Tester
950 posts
3,432 battles
22 minutes ago, ReapingKnight said:

Would players begging you not to play CV stop you?

Erm not sure what you mean I'm not in loop with what's happing in Wows are they op or something?

From what i have seen in coop they seem a bit underpowered of course I cant comment on random play of anything above tier 8.

[RONIN]
Players
465 posts
4,280 battles
1 hour ago, MacFergus said:

I have recently come back to play Wows after a 2 year break , I have decided to play CV's but need some advice from CV players.

As of now I'm playing coop to try and fine tune my skills before i commit to random.

I would like to know what specific traits each nation has when using equipment as far as i can tell the Japanese have Torp Aircraft as their main selling point but what about the rest of the nations I'm a bit confused.

The same can be said about crew skills again very confusing apart from the Japanese.

Thx for reading.

Japanese :

-AP bombers second best after German ones, you can get nice citadels.

-Torp planes only 2 torps per attack but strong dmg, (around 12 k)

-ok rocket planes against DDs.

In general a lot of planes in reserve.

American:

-HE bombers a lot of them, nice damage, ok fire chance,

-Torp planes 6 torps  per attack,average damage,hard to hit with all of them

-ok rocket planes against DDs

- Medium planes in reserve.  

German :

-AP bombers (currently OP in game), you can get a lot of citadels with them, they can hit more then 25 k!

-3 torps per attack, fast but low dmg.

-Ultra strong rocket planes but you must hit broadside only, weak against DDs since they are AP.

-Not great planes in reserve, around medium.

British:( I dont have yet tier 10, only tier 6)

-HE carpet bombers, a LOT of bombs  and a big chance to cause fire,

-not sure about torp planes .they are like medium

-And rocket planes are ok, something like american ( I still dont have  tier 10 but working on it, giving advice about british CV from a tier 6 perspective.)

In general German CV is currently OP and strongest beacouse of the AP bombers and AP rocket planes.

Japanese is second in place, has a lot of planes in reserve.

American is all around CV, average against everything ,excel at nothing.

British I would call it good for setting fires.

Hope this helps, ask anything else if I missed something.

• Cool 3

Players
3,293 posts
20,019 battles
2 hours ago, MacFergus said:

Erm not sure what you mean I'm not in loop with what's happing in Wows are they op or something?

From what i have seen in coop they seem a bit underpowered of course I cant comment on random play of anything above tier 8.

No they are not considered OP just very toxic as a class design.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,267 posts
21,507 battles
52 minutes ago, MacFergus said:

As @Europizza wrote: Not OP but toxic...

So when You start playing CVs get ready to say Sayonara to your Karma...

And they aren't underpowered either... there's only a shipload potatoes captaining CVs because they are the winningest class right now.

[RONIN]
Players
465 posts
4,280 battles
1 minute ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

And they aren't underpowered either... there's only a shipload potatoes captaining CVs because they are the winningest class right now.

Good players will always give +1 to a good CV, and only potatoes who die in first 2 minutes blames CVs for everything, I am sick of them

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
5,267 posts
21,507 battles
8 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Good players will always give +1 to a good CV, and only potatoes who die in first 2 minutes blames CVs for everything, I am sick of them

I rarely give +1 Karma to anyone, whatever class they play, so I don't think that has any influence on being any kind of player :cap_cool:

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
950 posts
3,432 battles
41 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Japanese :

-AP bombers second best after German ones, you can get nice citadels.

-Torp planes only 2 torps per attack but strong dmg, (around 12 k)

-ok rocket planes against DDs.

In general a lot of planes in reserve.

American:

-HE bombers a lot of them, nice damage, ok fire chance,

-Torp planes 6 torps  per attack,average damage,hard to hit with all of them

-ok rocket planes against DDs

- Medium planes in reserve.  

German :

-AP bombers (currently OP in game), you can get a lot of citadels with them, they can hit more then 25 k!

-3 torps per attack, fast but low dmg.

-Ultra strong rocket planes but you must hit broadside only, weak against DDs since they are AP.

-Not great planes in reserve, around medium.

-And rocket planes are ok, something like american ( I still dont have  tier 10 but working on it, giving advice about british CV from a tier 6 perspective.)

In general German CV is currently OP and strongest beacouse of the AP bombers and AP rocket planes.

Japanese is second in place, has a lot of planes in reserve.

American is all around CV, average against everything ,excel at nothing.

British I would call it good for setting fires.

Hope this helps, ask anything else if I missed something.

Thankyou very much exactly what i was looking for.

Beta Tester
950 posts
3,432 battles
16 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

I stopped being competitive 4 years ago playing this game wasn't worth having a heart attack over , I solo 100% so i don't expect uber stats more important its about the fun now althoughi must say the gind in CB is awful everthing is dead before you can get some decent damage in.

I will not play random until I think I'm a decent CV player. 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,465 posts
20,571 battles

Well there is a name I haven't seen in a while.

I would recommend starting with the US line as they're the easiest to play while still retaining high potential. Do note that the T4 and T6 are fairly lackluster though.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
94 posts
5,477 battles
Vor 18 Minuten, El2aZeR sagte:

I would recommend starting with the US line as they're the easiest to play while still retaining high potential. Do note that the T4 and T6 are fairly lackluster though.

To me it generally seems that T4 and to a certain extend T6 CVs are the only ships in the game that manage being lackluster AND making their respective tiers unfun to play at at the same time…

• Funny 1

Players
3,293 posts
20,019 battles
1 hour ago, MacFergus said:

I stopped being competitive 4 years ago playing this game wasn't worth having a heart attack over , I solo 100% so i don't expect uber stats more important its about the fun now althoughi must say the gind in CB is awful everthing is dead before you can get some decent damage in.

I will not play random until I think I'm a decent CV player. 

If you want to have fun why are you going to focus on carriers? The redesigned ones are boring and repetitive AF.:fish_sleep:

Nobody will care much how you do even if you do good since carriers are in their own little mini game. Carriers are hardly ever part of a team effort these days. Might as well start randoms. Coop matches are too short due to aweful bot design anyway. All bots are rushing mid and DDs will torp most of the bots within 3 minutes. Hardly worth it for a carrier.

• Cool 3

[RONIN]
Players
465 posts
4,280 battles
3 minutes ago, Europizza said:

If you want to have fun why are you going to focus on carriers? The redesigned ones are boring and repetitive AF.:fish_sleep:

You know there are some people who enjoy carriers, even if you dont like them.

Players
3,293 posts
20,019 battles
1 minute ago, Wulf_Ace said:

You know there are some people who enjoy carriers, even if you dont like them.

I know. I cant imagine why.

• Cool 2

[RONIN]
Players
465 posts
4,280 battles
Just now, Europizza said:

Maybe one day and three beers later I ll explain that to you

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, Wulf_Ace said:

• Bombs are many, but individually weaker and BB-sized area. No precision whatsoever. Pen is limited (18 mm at T4, 32 mm at T6 and 8, 40 mm at T10).
  • Torps are decent, converging drop. Typically not a lot of torps, but getting all to hit isn't too hard.
  • Rockets are many, but 27 mm pen. At T6 that's cool, at T8 it's medioce, at T10 it's basically just your tool to crap on a DD or disrespect some random T8/9 cruiser by taking off a good part of their hp.
  • Planes are slow, with slow restoration, but somewhat beefy.

Frankly, either you just play them for the heck of it or you grind a different line. It's an openly underpowered line (by CV standards) with the T4 being garbage, the T6 being okish, the T8 getting constant small buffs these days as WG realises this CV is beyond crap and the T10 is basically there to just be less bad than the T8, but still not good. And somehow they still managed to give them an even more impotent premium with Indomitable. Ark Royal is quite decent though, if you like watching 118 knot planes... on boost (no seriously, AR is decent, just very slow).

3 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Others play Kamikaze or GC so they can feel good. I go and play my Ark Royal and torp some T6 ships. If WG wants to fix their friggin game, they are welcome to do so, but they don't seem in any hurry.

• Cool 2

Players
3,293 posts
20,019 battles
1 minute ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Maybe one day and three beers later I ll explain that to you

I played them for a while when 0.8.0 came out. Used them to vent my frustration. I hardly play them anymore not even my Big E. Its just so tedious to me, so uninspiring, so disconnected, so utterly unimersive as far as aviation game design goes. What do you like in playing them? Serious question.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
950 posts
3,432 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Hello https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/profile/526953200-el2azer/ How are you?.

That's sound advice coming from one of the best carrier players both old and new no doubt.

I did prefer the old carrier play but i have to say the new style is fun although i don't know how borked it is at high level i never seem to get past tier 8 :Smile_smile:

[XTREM]
Players
4,212 posts
11,558 battles
6 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Honestly I would have suggested IJN first. 

Learning how to AP drop as early as possible will help dropping bombs on all other CV types.

If he learns US first and then tries IJN he will need to get used to AP bombs first because of how different they need to be dropped and maneuvered. It will hurt his progress. 

[-TPF-]
Players
4,259 posts
17,811 battles
7 hours ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Ark Royal is quite decent though, if you like watching 118 knot planes... on boost (no seriously, AR is decent, just very slow).

Ark Royal is still very good but they definitely did something to it in the last patch which made it quite frustrating to play - the torpedo planes now deliver their payload more accurately, but they take an eternity to turn and it's easy to run into flak simply because the darn things won't move. It's especially annoying when you compare it to Furious, whose torp planes are nimble enough to make one attack, turn 180 degrees and make another without getting back into the flak zone of 3k+ (ish). 

Beta Tester
950 posts
3,432 battles
2 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

Welcome back @MacFergus !

I missed that avatar :Smile_Default:

Thankyou Sir although I'm not sure how long I will last it could be a fleeting visit i tend to do spurts just like when I do manual labour then I have to rest for 2 weeks :cap_tea:

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this