You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Seargent_Nigel

Jerzy Świrski in armoury date?

14 comments in this topic

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,674 posts
4 minutes ago, Seargent_Nigel said:

Does anyone have an idea when commander Jerzy Świrski will be available in the armoury to obtain?

Half a year after the end of the Campaign, we plan to make Jerzy Świrski available in exchange for Coal in the Armory. Thus, you'll be able to get this Commander at a later date, even if you don't manage to finish the Strong-Willed Campaign.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-guides/campaigns-strong-willed/

• Cool 1

[-R-F-]
Players
87 posts
2,240 battles

You can't get it now. I do have something to ask about this... I recently started to play de European DDs, I decided to skip all the way to Skane... only realizing to my horror that I only have a 7 point captain. So, first match -bottom  tier against 2 radars, one tier8 cv... and me without concealement expert. Any ideas on how to grind this captain faster without being stomped every match?

Players
2,271 posts
14,157 battles
13 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

You can't get it now. I do have something to ask about this... I recently started to play de European DDs, I decided to skip all the way to Skane... only realizing to my horror that I only have a 7 point captain. So, first match -bottom  tier against 2 radars, one tier8 cv... and me without concealement expert. Any ideas on how to grind this captain faster without being stomped every match?

No way really expect of using flags and camos. Unless you have 19 pointer on the other line and you can grind captain XP. Or willing to convert with doubloons - not a good idea though, better value would be to get premium time soon for half price on usuall December promotion. 

Beta Tester
3,225 posts
3,720 battles
2 hours ago, Harvin87 said:

Here's what I did.

A couple of years ago, I spent about a million free xp to promote my then most-played captain to 19 skill points. He's the commander of several of my ships, so the special elite xp - xp that you earn with any captain who has reached maximum level, and that can be used to level up commanders at no doubloon cost - started rolling in pretty quickly. As soon as I had enough elite xp I promoted another captain to max rank, and then another and so forth.

I know that many players are reluctant to spend doubloons - i.e., real money - to level up their captains, and this is a perfectly legitimate choice. It is certainly not for me to have an opinion on how others will spend their money. To me, however, it is often worth it. If nothing else, it will save a lot of time and effort in getting that first captain up to max rank. Once that point is reached and the elite xp start rolling in, promotions will progress much faster. 

Another thing I'd mention is that destroyer captains are generally more dependent on their skill points than captains of ships from other classes. A destroyer captain with less than 10 skill points, and thus without access to the Concealment Expert skill, is at a painful disadvantage when facing an enemy destroyer whose captain has this skill. I usually try to push my destroyer captains up to at least 13 skill points as quickly as I can manage.

Best of luck!

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,020 posts
13,520 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

Here's what I did.

A couple of years ago, I spent about a million free xp to promote my then most-played captain to 19 skill points. He's the commander of several of my ships, so the special elite xp - xp that you earn with any captain who has reached maximum level, and that can be used to level up commanders at no doubloon cost - started rolling in pretty quickly. As soon as I had enough elite xp I promoted another captain to max rank, and then another and so forth.

I know that many players are reluctant to spend doubloons - i.e., real money - to level up their captains, and this is a perfectly legitimate choice. It is certainly not for me to have an opinion on how others will spend their money. To me, however, it is often worth it. If nothing else, it will save a lot of time and effort in getting that first captain up to max rank. Once that point is reached and the elite xp start rolling in, promotions will progress much faster. 

Another thing I'd mention is that destroyer captains are generally more dependent on their skill points than captains of ships from other classes. A destroyer captain with less than 10 skill points, and thus without access to the Concealment Expert skill, is at a painful disadvantage when facing an enemy destroyer whose captain has this skill. I usually try to push my destroyer captains up to at least 13 skill points as quickly as I can manage.

Best of luck!

:Smile_honoring:

I agree the more 19 point captains the more Elite Captain XP is available to boost other captains.

While 10 points for a DD captain is the minimum I only start to feel comfortable with 14 - I think I usually take RL/RPF at that 14 point skill (after the standard ones).  I find DDs without that to be at a disadvantage especially if they have slow turret rotation.  Having the guns in the right direction at the start of an engagement is an advantage.   RL/RPF also helps when torping DDs in the cap.

Can't free XP be used to boost the captain skills?

The one thing Harvin87 has done is used up FXP for going up the tiers but they've also lost the captain XP that would have been gained along the way.

Edited: I had the Friesland to train up my EU captain before the tech tree line was released - I think there isn't a common set of skills as it's a gunboat with no torps and smoke while the tech tree line doesn't have smoke but has torps.  There is the Orkan also in the shop still.

Players
1,673 posts
14 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

I agree the more 19 point captains the more Elite Captain XP is available to boost other captains.

Yes it can and because WG knows about this and also knows that people are happy to throw money out of the window to get more Free XP they decided to raise the max commander points to 21.

Beta Tester
3,225 posts
3,720 battles
22 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

While 10 points for a DD captain is the minimum I only start to feel comfortable with 14 - I think I usually take RL/RPF at that 14 point skill (after the standard ones).  I find DDs without that to be at a disadvantage especially if they have slow turret rotation.  Having the guns in the right direction at the start of an engagement is an advantage.   RL/RPF also helps when torping DDs in the cap.

I agree that Radio Location is a hugely useful skill on any DD. In spite of this, when spending skill points from level 11 and onward I tend to prioritize such skills as Adrenaline Rush, Basic Firing Training and - where necessary - Expert Marksman. This usually means that Radio Location is the last skill I get, if I can afford it at all. Many of the mid-tier non-american gunboats suffer a lot in knife fights without an Expert Marksman on the bridge. Knowing from which direction the enemy is approaching, is less of an advantage if I can't keep my guns trained on him when he arrives. If one specializes in torpedo boats (the IJN mainline in particular), things are of course much different.

22 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

They sure can! But most of the xp one accumulates has to be converted to free xp before it can be spent on anything other than moving up the tech tree, and this conversion costs doubloons. Or at least that is how I have understood it to be. After five years of on-and-off gameplay, I still find embarrassing gaps in my knowledge of this game...! :Smile_teethhappy:

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,020 posts
13,520 battles
5 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

They sure can! But most of the xp one accumulates has to be converted to free xp before it can be spent on anything other than moving up the tech tree, and this conversion costs doubloons. Or at least that is how I have understood it to be. After five years of on-and-off gameplay, I still find embarrassing gaps in my knowledge of this game...! :Smile_teethhappy:

I agree that most XP needs dubloons to be converted to Free XP.   But a portion of the XP earnt in a game becomes FreeXp which does not need to be converted using dubloons.  Using this to by-pass tiers has a hidden cost - getting to higher tiers with, maybe, and inexperienced captain.

Which is one reason to think hard about skipping tiers and using up the 'real' FreeXP.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,020 posts
13,520 battles
10 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

Yes it can and because WG knows about this and also knows that people are happy to throw money out of the window to get more Free XP they decided to raise the max commander points to 21.

Yes, I also read/heard that the XP from the captains in the Reserve can be used to boost the XP of other captains - no doubt that won't come cheap either.

Beta Tester
3,225 posts
3,720 battles
2 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

But a portion of the XP earnt in a game becomes FreeXp which does not need to be converted using dubloons.

You are of course correct. This is such a small portion of the total xp earned, however, that I at least would hardly get anywhere relying solely on this "free" free xp. This is obviously part of WG:s calculations to bring in money from the players, and since this is a voluntary option with all requirements out in the open, I am perfectly fine with the deal. It is basically an equation of time versus money, and an individual choice of which currency to invest. 

[JOLLY]
Players
515 posts
11,926 battles
4 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

This is such a small portion of the total xp earned, however, that I at least would hardly get anywhere relying solely on this "free" free xp. This is obviously part of WG:s calculations to bring in money from the players, and since this is a voluntary option with all requirements out in the open, I am perfectly fine with the deal. It is basically an equation of time versus money, and an individual choice of which currency to invest. 

If/when you are able to stack flags (PapaPapa, and similar) and camos (German navy camo) that give from 200% to 777% free xp boosts each, it is quite possible to earn more freexp than normal xp, in a battle.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,225 posts
3,720 battles
30 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

If/when you are able to stack flags (PapaPapa, and similar) and camos (German navy camo) that give from 200% to 777% free xp boosts each, it is quite possible to earn more freexp than normal xp, in a battle.

I know! The first time I did this, it seemed hilarious! :Smile_veryhappy:

I am at present hoarding my precious signal flags like a sinister brooding hen on eggs. And Wargaming has stopped selling Victory and Commanders Day camos in bulk. But with the deadline for last-chance-of-ever-acquiring-the-Småland fast approaching, I am thinking of just tossing the whole stockpile onto my ships and sail out swinging...! :Smile_izmena: