You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Curesto

Need Tips For Aircraft Carrier.

10 comments in this topic

Players
48 posts
594 battles

Hi, new player. I've recently bought Hosho but i don't have any idea which planes attacks with. One attack with torpedoes. Others drops "bombs" i think.

So, i don't have any idea how aircraft carriers work.

Does carrier turns by itself when you started the engines and you're controlling the squadrons?

Thanks.

• Cool 1

Players
2,066 posts
16,151 battles

If you press "M" to bring up the map you can set waypoints for your ship to follow on autopilot. The 1 key will launch rocket planes (fastest, good for spotting, lighting fires and harassing destroyers, german ap rockets are great at citadeling cruisers), 2 key will launch bombers (if your bombers are AP, like the IJN or german ones, you can go for cruisers or german battleships and citadel them. The HE rockets work much like HE shells, splash damage and fires). 3 key will launch torpedo bombers - in general they're best against big, lumbering targets from the side - german torps are actually fast enough to be a danger to DD's).

• Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
6,110 posts
14,566 battles
36 minutes ago, Curesto said:

I'd suggest you start with this overview video:

It dates from just after the new carriers were released, but the broad brushes are still relevant.

• Cool 3

[JOLLY]
Players
497 posts
11,837 battles
44 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Hi, new player. I've recently bought Hosho but i don't have any idea which planes attacks with. One attack with torpedoes. Others drops "bombs" i think.

Does carrier turns by itself when you started the engines and you're controlling the squadrons?

Thanks.

At tier 4, experiment with torpedos, bombs and rockets, in the CooP mode. All 3 types have their advantages, and disadvantages, depending on what/when/how you are attacking. Each CVs squadrons have unique features, so the only way to really learn is through practice, preferably in a game mode where mistakes and slow reactions don't matter (such as the Training Room, CooP or Operations)

As for controlling your CV, when you are in Squadron mode, open up the map (M) and click on it to set waypoints for your CV, which it will try to follow autonomously.

• Cool 2

Players
413 posts
2,233 battles

Practice, practice and more Practice. Rocket planes for IGN are good at scouting and DD hunting or finishing off very low health Cruisers.

Torpedo bombers are your bread and butter go to murder machines for dealing with.. well... anything you don't really like to be honest.

Dive Bombers will pummel Cruisers with Citadel strikes and can chip off substantial BB HP per bombing run once you get the hang of it.

As for how to do it... (Copy pasted from an older thread as I can't be bothered to re-type the whole thing again - was some good advice here

Spoiler

*Cracks knuckles* You might want to go grab a cup of [Insert favorite caffeinated hot beverage here] for this one.

So aiming CV bombers and torpedo planes generally changes on a CV by CV basis depending on whether or not they a silver line CV or Premium CV alongside what nation they belong to and what ordinance they are dropping.

A few base rules are as follows.

+Thou shall lead thy target. Super important this one, the amount of new CV players I see aiming where the target is, rather than where it is going is painful. Remember that ALL munitions have a travel time so aim where they are going to be based around what they are doing and adjust accordingly, for example if a ship starts turning into your torpedo attack remember to drop earlier and give less lead time as the act of turning bleeds speed and course change will give less arming time.

+Thou shall learn to recognize thy enemy ship. Comes with time and practice (Ops are great for this) but all ships have different handling characteristics and speeds that need to be accounted for. Observe the ship and what the captain does when you attack them to be better able to predict how they will react on your second/third attack (how the smoke is coming out of the stacks can help determine if the ship is speeding up or slamming the brakes on)

+Thou shall aim for or ahead of the nose if at full speed. NEVER drop amidship on a moving target, you WILL miss.

+Thou shall give enough time for arming. On Torpedoes, the yellow area (see below pics) is where the torpedo hasn't armed yet. In this zone the torpedo will, upon impacting the enemy ship, make an interesting clang sound as it bounces harmlessly off the side doing sweet nothing in terms of damage. Don't be one of those CV players who complain in chat that the enemy ship is cheating because the torpedoes hit and did no damage and it's all hacks and everyone should feel bad. Instead leave a bit of green area between the yellow segment and your torpedoes aquatic victim so that if they try to turn into the torpedo attack or you have lag or the server stutters etc. etc. and so forth, your torpedoes will still arm in time.

So in the picture below you can see the lead time for a Japanese Tier 6 CV (Ryujo) with Torpedo Acceleration and Aerial Torpedo Mod 1 (at which point for admitting this I'm probably going to get slapped by some unicum CV player -_- ) again both aforementioned modifications will change how much lead time you need to give so keep that in mind.

image.thumb.png.c45c2b68dedd3a409d80659bc37de333.png

See how i'm aiming ahead  of the ship? Notice how the smoke is coming out of the funnels and going straight back indicating they are going ahead at full or close to full speed? Notice the green band between the yellow section and ship?

If you main CV this is the point where all the receptors in your brain light up and you get that giddy dopamine rush because you know you have him, he's screwed, nothing he can do at this point will allow him to dodge those torps, he's as good as dead. (well... mildly irritated due to CV torpedo damage output but still...)

And against a Cruiser

image.thumb.png.8ef2cf7a583ff246fc1497748e70281d.png

Notice how more lead time was given? How I allowed more leeway for arming time in case they tried to dodge into the attack (not that it mattered as the AI plowed into the iceberg [face palm] )

Practice, practice and more practice. If you can, go into a training room with your CV of choice, set AI to hard with no weapons and just drop on them repeatedly. Go play Ops such as Killer Wale and Newport and try to nuke DD's with your torpedo bombers. Get a bucket and soap to scrub yourself clean afterwards and go play... Tier IV... (shudders) along side the rest of the CV hoard at that tier to learn how to drop against player ships (possibly skip Tier IV and go straight to Tier VI if you don't like seal clubbing helpless surface ships)

As for dive bombing a ship all the general rules (except arming distance) apply here too (hence general rules) so.. LEAD THY TARGET as bombs take time to fall. Start the bombing run a bit early as it takes time for the planes to be able to drop during the set up phase so don't leave it until the reticule is over the ship. Start it when the reticule is where the ship will be during the dive aka. where the ship is going (lead the target)

Example A: This is a bad drop, at the height I am at and where the aiming circle is  by the time the bombs reach the ship they will either miss or hit the ships stern and over penetrate.

image.thumb.png.32deba45ccf673542aa2d2b71b1310bd.png

If I follow through on the dive though.

image.thumb.png.9095c9a591439b37b9291b4e00fc1490.png

Now when the bombs release the ship will sail straight into the bombing area, maximizing the chance of a hit amidship where the citadel is, as the Japanese drop AP bombs so you want to get that tasty Citadel strike but with HE bombs such as what the USN drop it doesn't really matter where you hit as long as it's not the top of a main battery turret (too much Armour for the bomb to penetrate)

Example of a British bombing run (gave a little bit too much lead on this one) Ideally you want the bottom of the aiming sight to be about amidship when you drop if bombing from behind although this varies per tier your at as some of the higher tier ships have more 'floaty bombs' that take longer to descend and thus need more lead time.

image.thumb.png.901c5daa06663b253578d4878f11d781.png

And the German premium with it's remarkably quiet Stukas (stares intently at WarGaming O_O), note how with this bomb drop which would have been fine for the Japanese CV's the slow fall speed of German bombs resulted in both bombs striking the BB's aft quarter where one hit the deck (Yaaay!) while one bounced off the roof of turret D (Boooooo! Op turret armor please nerf!)

image.thumb.png.ed409b0bae5c879130a036bc6ac979a5.png

This time with more lead the bombs hit amidship and both detonated  properly setting two fires

image.thumb.png.8923a84041bc3fd5c4f1cca5907ab8ca.png

Gabriel Drop Out House On Fire GIF - GabrielDropOut HouseOnFire - Discover  & Share GIFs

MWUHAHAHAHA! (ahem *cough's* )

Anyway as stated before PRACTICE! Seriously despite what some might claim getting used to CV's aiming systems and quirks and actually hitting things reliably is hard when your starting out. You will screw up, you will miss targets and slap yourself for it, you will "accidentally" torpedo your allies complete with

Image result for anime embarrassed gif red face | Blushing anime, Anime,  Anime expressions

reaction.

But sooner or later with enough practice you will join the ranks of the infamous CV lords who single handedly give WarGaming a migraine and start a hundred thousand new anti-CV threads a day with their shenanigans.

AzurLane

(OP CV captain staring mercilessly at their next victim)

Just take it slow, learn how to drop targets and how to use the planes before rushing up the Tiers. Tier 6 Ops are a good way to practice further once you reach them and only go to Tier 8 once your confident at Tier 6 because Tier 8 is where the (semi)effective AA comes in to play making CV games much harder.

image.gif

• Cool 2

Players
3,431 posts
3 hours ago, Curesto said:

Thanks.

Hey don't worry neither do I,and I have some all the way to tier 10:Smile_veryhappy:

Hosho is the best CV and at a nice tier, one tip though do not division up with a team mate who has a tier 5 ship, that will get you up tiered to tier 5, and getting up tiered in any CV is simply not fun.

Some good advice already given, when dropping the torps make sure you drop in front of that ship your aiming at, that way more chance of a hit that way, use your rocket planes to spot the red fleet first for your team, (and pray the yare awake enough to actually shoot the red team) then select any target of your choice to annoy.

Others may well correct me on this but i don't mind as I suck in most things and am the undisputed king of potatoes:Smile_veryhappy:

[GEUS]
[GEUS]
Players
333 posts
11,020 battles
11 hours ago, Curesto said:

Thanks.

Practice. Takes a while to get used to carriers, and each nation of carriers feature some differences. Generally, rocket planes are your fast and reliable source of damage, not necessarily a lot of damage, mainly to target smaller and faster targets like destroyers. Torpedos and boms are useful for larger and slower ships such as battleships. With torpedos try to attack a ship from the side, while with bomber planes you want to attack from the front or rear. Took me quite a while to manage torpedo planes well, so expect it'll take a bit of time to get the hang of it. Also takes practice to learn which ships have good AA which you need to be careful with. Try to pick lone targets and avoid ships which are grouped together. Use rockets to reset caps. Always pay attention to your minimap. Use autopilot to relocate your ship to a safe place. Use islands to your advantage; island block the line of sight between your planes and enemy ships, so they can't AA you. Island hugging enemies also have less oportunities to maneuvre to dodge your bombs or torpedos. 

Oh, and it took me a bit to discover you can use AWSD keys to help maneuvre your planes. :P

In my experience, British carriers are most forgiving and easiest to handle, followed by Japanese and American. German carriers are hard to master and quite unforgiving in my experience. All tier 4 carriers feel pretty boring, tier 6 carriers are considerably more fun to play in my experience (although being uptiered can be challenging). 

Be prepared to receive plenty of hate and toxicity when playing a carrier. 

Always could start with a coop game to practice the very basics of maneuvring your planes, targetting and autopiloting. 

[NECRO]
Players
669 posts

Ignore the ship itself. Despite the fact that it is made of tin, full of fuel and ammo and a large target, it does neither burn nor explode, and flooding appears no problem neither. WG made it a ship that is almost invulnerable, mainly decorative and thereby perfectly suited for... complete inepts.