Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aetius85

Spotter plane on mid tier IJN cruisers

20 comments in this topic

[BATES]
Players
888 posts
11,819 battles

I like very much this line, and I find some lack of range, especially on myoko and mogami, which could be covered with spotter as alternative to fighter. I don't think this would make these ships OP, what is your opinion? 

• Cool 2

Players
672 posts
14,738 battles

While I would have loved to had more range when I was gridning up to the Zao or getting over 3 million xp in the Atago adding a spotter plane would have deprived me of learning a some tactics and skills that I still use to day on every cruiser I play. If they had the spotters I feel I probably would have never learned these things and would have spent too much time max range firing and damage farming rather then being useful in hunting DDs and or supporting my teams DD's

[LUZ1]
Players
882 posts
12,916 battles
4 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

While I would have loved to had more range when I was gridning up to the Zao or getting over 3 million xp in the Atago adding a spotter plane would have deprived me of learning a some tactics and skills that I still use to day on every cruiser I play. If they had the spotters I feel I probably would have never learned these things and would have spent too much time max range firing and damage farming rather then being useful in hunting DDs and or supporting my teams DD's

I am interested, could you briefly summarise the tactics you learned?

[DREAD]
Players
10,249 posts
7,172 battles

Especially 20cm Mogami feels lacking by now. No Heal, big citadel, squishy and low range. Torps only fire backwards. 

There is little point in playing her with the 20cm guns. I think this gun option should offer better base range compared to the smaller guns 

• Cool 3

Players
672 posts
14,738 battles

Actually yes I can.

1. When to shoot, what to shoot, and when to stop shooting.
  2. Outside torp range interception angles(basicly predicting where the enemy will make contact with my torps and firing then while they are beyond torp range but will close into it works maybe 25% of the time)
  3. Ship angling for better concentration of hits in a general area.
  4. How to kite away and engage the enemy
  5. How to set  4 fires on a ship
  6. How to get aa defense USING ATAGO post rework(no joke)
  7. How to mitigate incoming shells from bbs.
  8. How to bait a brawler into turning into my torps.(mostly Atago due to torp angles)
  • Cool 3

Players
2,271 posts
14,157 battles

IFHE needed for 155 is the only thing saving bigger guns, as most when grinding to Zao will just skip it as moving captain up. I've bought her back recently but I could afford dedicated skipper with 14 points.

• Cool 1

Players
672 posts
14,738 battles
4 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Especially 20cm Mogami feels lacking by now. No Heal, big citadel, squishy and low range. Torps only fire backwards. 

There is little point in playing her with the 20cm guns. I think this gun option should offer better base range compared to the smaller guns 

There are many ships that have been power crept over the years. IJN and USN were the first CA lines in the game. In comparison to Germans, Russian, and even Italians, IJN has been left in the dust on so many levels, however they can still compete and do well with the right amount of dedication and discipline.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,175 posts
9,431 battles
5 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

I am interested, could you briefly summarise the tactics you learned?

Not knowing what he learned, but what I learned with the spotter plane:

- It can push you far back because you are given the range to do so. Once the plane runs out you can find yourself taken out of the battle for some time while you try to get back into position.

- Spotter plane gives you more range and thus higher detection. If you have poor situational or map awarness you will find yourself slapped by ships that normally would have a hard time seeing you. 

- This applies to all planes though, but it reveals your position from further away even if you are unspotted as plane detection is 10 km and moving in a circle around you so you can triangulate a ship both in open waters and around terrain.

Myoko and Aoba don't really need spotter plane imo, but the Mogami kinda does if I'm honest.

Players
2,271 posts
14,157 battles
3 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

How to get aa defense USING ATAGO post rework(no joke)

You know that this is not Atago good Aa, or your skill, but inability of enemy CV to use wasd keys when flying?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

IJN cruisers have lower base ranges than others. It's a balancing decision. Circumventing that would only make sense if these cruisers were actually hurting and so far, Furutaka to Mogami/Atago isn't exactly a weak line. Would spotter plane be nice? Sure. But feels like when I want spotter on my Thunderer for shooting over island or in smokes. It doesn't really need a buff. 

Players
672 posts
14,738 battles
10 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

You know that this is not Atago good Aa, or your skill, but inability of enemy CV to use wasd keys when flying?

If it was once I would say yes you are right. However it now 7 times. Though I have not played the Atago in the German cv meta could be different results, but UK, IJN, USN t8 lol not that hard. Just a matter of knowing at what distance to launch fighters, when to hit the focus and when to hit the dfaa.  However this isn't a cv complaint thread, there is a sticky for that nonsense. And for the record I was also sailing with a german cruiser at the time so our aa was somewhat stacked, cause you know more flak from different angles makes wasd useless.

Players
672 posts
14,738 battles
1 minute ago, HaachamaShipping said:

IJN cruisers have lower base ranges than others. It's a balancing decision. Circumventing that would only make sense if these cruisers were actually hurting and so far, Furutaka to Mogami/Atago isn't exactly a weak line. Would spotter plane be nice? Sure. But feels like when I want spotter on my Thunderer for shooting over island or in smokes. It doesn't really need a buff. 

They also have stronger HE then most cruisers of thier tier and tend to have tighter dispersions. Hiting a few shells at 18km is great but wont make much an impact. Hitting 10 shells at 14km, now that is an impact.

[DREAD]
Players
10,249 posts
7,172 battles
14 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

There are many ships that have been power crept over the years. IJN and USN were the first CA lines in the game. In comparison to Germans, Russian, and even Italians, IJN has been left in the dust on so many levels, however they can still compete and do well with the right amount of dedication and discipline.

Well yes. Although the US line got some rebalancing when the tree was split. 

I am not saying the IJN CA line is terrible but they feel to require quite some effort to do anything meaningful with them. Given all the additions to the game they feel a little dated.

In Mogami’s case in particular the two gun options should offer a distinct choice rather than the daka ones flat out superior. And giving big guns a more useful range would be the obvious choice. Although a possible outcome is people hanging farther back - sure 

• Cool 1

Players
672 posts
14,738 battles
1 minute ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Well yes. Although the US line got some rebalancing when the tree was split. 

I am not saying the IJN CA line is terrible but they feel to require quite some effort to do anything meaningful with them. Given all the additions to the game they feel a little dated.

In Mogami’s case in particular the two gun options should offer a distinct choice rather than the daka ones flat out superior. And giving big guns a more useful range would be the obvious choice. Although a possible outcome is people hanging farther back - sure 

Considering the Mogami was a Light cruiser trying to be a Heavy cruiser I think it's performance in game has been beyond amazing from the historical aspect.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
31 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

Midtier IJN that is being discussed here for spotter plane hardly has been left behind. Furutaka to Myoko they got dispersion buffs, Myoko got a fire rate buff, Furutaka and Myoko likely are some of the best cruisers at their tiers. Mogami got a ton of 27 mm plating in latest rework and it is the only non German CL that can pen 38 mm. Also, Russians aren't just largely unbuffed at these tiers, IFHE rework and replacing the good Kirov with crap Kotovsky made it actually worse by comparison. 

[DREAD]
Players
10,249 posts
7,172 battles
48 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

Considering the Mogami was a Light cruiser trying to be a Heavy cruiser I think it's performance in game has been beyond amazing from the historical aspect.

Not really a light cruiser. She was a heavy cruiser armed with 15cm guns ad-interim to avoid naval arms limitation treaties. And light doesn’t indicate the armour but just a max allowed caliber of 15cm and a certain maximum displacement. She had more belt armor than the Hippers although her overall protection scheme was probably still inferior. Given that Washington CA were a terrible compromise to begin with. 

Regardless it was well known that the Japanese ships violated the treaties. A contemporary commented: “either the Japanese build their ships from cardboard or are straight up lying”. 

The real Mogami classes’ most prominent design feature was their extraordinary heavy armament and punch. I just feel very little of that makes it into the in-game representation. I usually appreciate if I can recognize “real” characteristics translated somewhat into the game.

• Cool 3

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

The real Mogami classes’ most prominent design feature was their extraordinary heavy armament and punch. I just feel very little of that makes it into the in-game representation. I usually appreciate if I can recognize “real” characteristics translated somewhat into the game.

I mean, 10 203 mm guns give it the best AP and HE alpha per salvo of any T8 CA except Anchorage (which has a better AP salvo), with Atago being joint best, Hipper-class having similar AP alpha. This on DD accuracy, so even if the Hipper, Baltimore and Albemarle come close in some aspects and Anchorage surpasses them in some, the effective punch is no joke. As for 155 Mogami, best alpha at the tier (AP joint best with Mainz), though obviously 155s pen less.

So, I don't really see the issue here. IJN 10 gun cruisers at T7, 8 and 9 only get "outpunched" by the Buffalo-class (12 guns), Brindisi (12 guns and SAP), Drake (234 mm guns) and dedicated supercruisers.

[2DQT]
Players
384 posts
4 hours ago, Aetius85 said:

I like very much this line, and I find some lack of range, especially on myoko and mogami, which could be covered with spotter as alternative to fighter. I don't think this would make these ships OP, what is your opinion? 

I'd take it for the chance I am bottom tier and dont want to be at ranges from my top tier enemies where they can broadside salvo me  without much lead. If I use it, I make sure too have cover nearby or when the reds nearby are shooting at my allies. If the alternatiive in the slot is a fighter plane, the spotter is just a tiny bit more useful. 

[BATES]
Players
888 posts
11,819 battles
8 minutes ago, rimmer_the said:

I'd take it for the chance I am bottom tier and dont want to be at ranges from my top tier enemies where they can broadside salvo me  without much lead. If I use it, I make sure too have cover nearby or when the reds nearby are shooting at my allies. If the alternatiive in the slot is a fighter plane, the spotter is just a tiny bit more useful. 

That was my point, as I already try to angle( also if you can only try to reduce the hit area, armour is not reliable) and kite, but I feel the fighter is quite useless vs a spotter when retreating in order to be a bit more effective. If this makes ships too buffed, for this I am asking an opinion to the forumites :)

Players
257 posts
8,277 battles

I'm agree, they should buff something 200mm of Mogami. The 155 it's just better. And the 200 mm should be a different option, not a worst one. The IJN cruiser line needs some love, specially the high tiers. They are ultrapowercrept. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this