You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Execute0rder66

A "Veterans Corner"

129 comments in this topic

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles

This is a question to veteran players who have over 10K-15K battles experience and forum administration whether we can have a section in the forum (somewhere in below screen shot) or a sticky post dedicated to veteran players who have accumulated vast knowledge of the game, possess or played with most ships where they can share their hands on experience with ships, game tactics, ask questions and inform each other, or not?

It is possible to see many players in general comments claim to know how XYZ ships perform over others although they lack experience in them. This creates unnecessary back and forth arguments and pages of unrelated , irrelevant comments people have to go through.

On the other hand, veterans can understand what each other is trying to say easier, quicker since they have been in the game together since the beginning or have played enough games to have meaningful discussions. Hence, the communication would be more effective and on point.

What do you think?

vet.JPG

• Cool 5
  • Bad 4

Players
642 posts
14,701 battles
23 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

This is a question to veteran players who have over 10K-15K battles experience and forum administration whether we can have a section in the forum (somewhere in below screen shot) or a sticky post dedicated to veteran players who have accumulated vast knowledge of the game, possess or played with most ships where they can share their hands on experience with ships, game tactics, ask questions and inform each other, or not?

It is possible to see many players in general comments claim to know how XYZ ships perform over others although they lack experience in them. This creates unnecessary back and forth arguments and pages of unrelated , irrelevant comments people have to go through.

On the other hand, veterans can understand what each other is trying to say easier, quicker since they have been in the game together since the beginning or have played enough games to have meaningful discussions. Hence, the communication would be more effective and on point.

What do you think?

vet.JPG

Not a fan. Feels like another layer of elitism.

• Cool 15

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
5 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

Not a fan. Feels like another layer of elitism.

Definition of Elitism; the belief that a society or system should be led by an elite.

I think you misused a word here as I do not propose an elite person, society or system to lead WoWs Forum.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[GJE]
Players
302 posts
4,255 battles

I have encountered a lot of players with over 10k battles with much worse statistics than mine (which is an achievement in itself), I would hesitate to take an advice from them, it could take my WR the other direction than desired 😉 But seriously, I think it would be hard to sieve the competent ones just based on number of battles, and if that would be restricted section how would new players take advice from them? And if it would not be closed section, it wouldn't be different from normal forum? 

• Cool 5

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
7 minutes ago, dommo77 said:

I have encountered a lot of players with over 10k battles with much worse statistics than mine (which is an achievement in itself), I would hesitate to take an advice from them, it could take my WR the other direction than desired 😉

Of course you are right on this. The 10K is a figurative number. It could be 15K, 20K. The thing is there are good players and bad players at every game count. 

I am not saying the ones who have more games are better players. Instead, I'm saying they have more experience of game play and perhaps with more ships than beginners. 

In the case of a 20K bad player, i can still gain from his experience. I could easily see what he is doing wrong that led him to have bad stats in so many games or another example, I'd take his opinions about a ship he played although he may not be good in it instead of someone's opinion who has zero experience in same ship. 

7 minutes ago, dommo77 said:

And if it would not be closed section, it wouldn't be different from normal forum? 

I thought it would be an open section or a sticky where anyone can jump in but mostly veterans would know that's the place to go when they want to share certain stuff or ask certain questions.

• Bad 1

[XTREM]
Players
4,150 posts
11,514 battles

That "Veterans" corner would be a place for players to open endless topics to "discuss" the horrible state of the game together and comfort each other? 

Why not? Better to have them in a dedicated place than here. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 1

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
Just now, Zuihou_Kai said:

That "Veterans" corner would be a place for players to open endless topics to "discuss" the horrible state of the game together and comfort each other? 

Why not? Better to have them in a dedicated place than here. 

I guess it could be one of the topics but I doubt it'd last long since there'd be other stuff to talk about. They also know the state of game, how it was 5 years ago and what it has become. So, not much to comfort there. For what you are suggesting, we need another sticky called "Ranting/Venting Zone" and I guess it would be one of the most populated stickies in the forum.

• Bad 1

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,166 posts
22,555 battles
10 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

In the case of a 20K bad player, i can still gain from his experience.

What experience does a player gain from wasting a lot of time semi-consciously in a video game? And how do you know if someone with closed stats is a veteran?

Why do you need a corner, can't you just make a thread for veterans (if there isn't one already)? They are a very small group that won't grow, seems like a lot of work for very few beneficiaries.

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
10 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

What experience does a player gain from wasting a lot of time semi-consciously in a video game?

It may be a ship experience, CB experience,  ranked experience, coop experience, event experience, purchase experience, tactics experience, game stats from years ago. It could be anything.

And how do you know if someone with closed stats is a veteran?

You can't know someone is a veteran with closed stats of course but we are not talking about a closed sticky or section.

Why do you need a corner, can't you just make a thread for veterans (if there isn't one already)? 

A thread you make in here disappears in either a day or two. There are so many new threads daily in the forum from "What day is today" to "Explain me the Quantum Mechanics".

They are a very small group that won't grow, seems like a lot of work for very few beneficiaries.

Yes, this I agree. Doesn't seem like the number of veteran players will grow.

The only way for its to grow is if players keep playing and playing. WG can give some incentives like emblems to veteran players ( do we have one, i don't remember), flags, patches, a sticky or section in the forum...

• Bad 1

[XTREM]
Players
4,150 posts
11,514 battles
6 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

A thread you make in here disappears in either a day or two. There are so many new threads daily in the forum from "What day is today" to "Explain me the Quantum Mechanics".

That's because there are no meaningful discussions happening here. Every topic that is opened either starts being:

*A flame war between forum users for various reasons

*Moaning about bad playerbase and matchmaking

*Another CV op thread

*Moaning about WG sales. 

There is nothing else that is being discussed here mostly. No veterans talking about advanced game mechanics or anything like that. It's just whining next to more whining. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
1 minute ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

That's because there are no meaningful discussions happening here. Every topic that is opened either starts being:

*A flame war between forum users for various reasons

*Moaning about bad playerbase and matchmaking

*Another CV op thread

*Moaning about WG sales. 

There is nothing else that is being discussed here mostly. No veterans talking about advanced game mechanics or anything like that. It's just whining next to more whining. 

Yes, unfortunately, we see these coming up very often. Fully agreed.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
4,150 posts
11,514 battles

If you want a veterans section then there first needs to be a reasonably big show of demand. 

Meaning Veterans first need to start opening these topics for Veterans and keeping their own topics clean. 

Reminding people to stay on topic and reportimg offtopic/memes. 

Once more of these topics pop up and these Veterans stay disciplined not to drift into memes and shittalk in their own topics one can think about having a more heavily moderated, separate section for them. 

But before that is considered you first need all the above to happen. 

• Cool 1

Players
642 posts
14,701 battles
56 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Definition of Elitism; the belief that a society or system should be led by an elite.

I think you misused a word here as I do not propose an elite person, society or system to lead WoWs Forum.

38a405c6025e27247874f224f4b27cfd.png.6432176cd7b2c64173776909d56afdd4.png

Nope proper usage. 

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
11 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

38a405c6025e27247874f224f4b27cfd.png.6432176cd7b2c64173776909d56afdd4.png

Nope proper usage. 

I checked a dictionary (below).

Even if we assume elitism is defined as per Wikipedia (where you copied it from) is correct and Merriam-Webster is wrong, we are talking about a sticky or section open to all without anyone holding any power. 

The only ones holding power here are the forum administrators and according to your definition they are the elitists.

el.JPG

[LEEUW]
Players
2,600 posts
10,265 battles

@Execute0rder66 Players can do that for themselves. Let's say I am a beginner and i post a thread on this forum with a question regarding gamemechanics or what to do in a specific situation. In that thread a number of people will give their reaction and/or opinion. Now I can listen to the guy with 1000 games + 45% wr and follow his advice, or I can follow the advice of some dude with 15k battles and 65% wr. But that is completely up to me. Nothing elitist about it.

• Cool 1

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
2 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

@Execute0rder66 Players can do that for themselves. Let's say I am a beginner and i post a thread on this forum with a question regarding gamemechanics or what to do in a specific situation. In that thread a number of people will give their reaction and/or opinion. Now I can listen to the guy with 1000 games + 45% wr and follow his advice, or I can follow the advice of some dude with 15k battles and 65% wr. But that is completely up to me. Nothing elitist about it.

True.

[THESO]
Players
608 posts
12,105 battles
2 hours ago, The_Chiv said:

Feels like another layer of elitism.

So what are the other layers of elitism? An honest question. 

Players
3,962 posts
5,268 battles

So term veteran apply only to those with 10k+ battles and not by how long are they in game? Interesting.

If someone joined in game just last year and had grinded hard for 10k battles, he is veteran and not someone who is here 5 years (and see everything)...:Smile_facepalm:

• Bad 1

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
21 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

So term veteran apply only to those with 10k+ battles and not by how long are they in game? Interesting.

I think you didn't read previous posts, interesting.

Players
3,962 posts
5,268 battles
32 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

I think you didn't read previous posts, interesting.

What post # are you refering to specific? Some posters here are on my ignore list so I dont see all.

And when I see the very first line of this thread starting: ''This is a question to veteran players who have over 10K-15K battles experience '',  what do you expect me to think about this so called ''ranking'' of players?

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
13 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

What post # are you refering to specific? Some posters here are on my ignore list so I dont see all.

And when I see the very first line of this thread starting: ''This is a question to veteran players who have over 10K-15K battles experience '',  what do you expect me to think about this so called ''ranking'' of players?

What i wrote was, numbers are figurative (meaning can change) and it would be an open section or sticky. Not something like where only veterans are allowed to comment. A veteran can be a player who's been in the game for a long time and/or played most of the ships, or they can be a coop veteran, CB veteran who played CB battles since the beginning or very early stages, rank veteran who played rank battles since the beginning or very early stages, or operation veteran who knows all the operations much better than others. My point was, having such corner would provide clearer and more informative conversations compared to the general discussion threads which is like borscht soup.

Players
3,280 posts
19,937 battles

I'm not a fan of a veteran section. Sometimes experience overdose can cause deadly unwillingness to adapt, sometimes lack of knowledge combined with a keen eye can shed a insightful new light on matters. It is usually best to venture beyond the frontiers of one's own bubble, newbie and vet alike.

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,287 posts
8,931 battles

Hello,

Personally I think not. If I've understood your suggestion correctly, what you're suggesting is a section of the forums be closed to the general public to post in so that only some form of experienced players be allowed to take part on the presumption that statements within posts in this closed section of the forum will have some degree of experience behind them and therefore these posts will reflect more strongly to or against the discussion taking place. Is this correct?

If I've understood it well enough, then I would disagree to such a section on the forums. If what you're trying to do is suggest an idea to build-up a group or community of players whom the general public can rely on to give rational opinions and thoughts and these players would automatically be invited dependant on a high battle count or the age of their account, well it would not be a group particularly well filtered. Essentially, it would be a forum section of which its reputation is based on the ideal that posts within said section are fact or hard knowledge or positively reputable but that would invite the opinions of players perhaps with 20k battles who in reality don't actually provide rational or reasonable thoughts or perhaps don't behave in a mature and respectable manner.

I think if you want to provide a more reasonable means for more experienced players to be recognised and given the ability to stand out and be known for their well strucuted and informed posts then you must be selective. And I think the best way to do that is for players to choose and nominate individuals that they appreciate in that manner. In the past we had the Quality Poster initiative, a group of people who built a reputation on the forum by being active and taking part in a manner which was positive, constructive and entirely respectable. This initiative has been shelved for some time, but perhaps we can dust it off and maybe make some changes and work on it once again. I would far rather read the thoughts of someone who I know was nominated, reviewed and selected rather than just assume someone knows what they're saying because they have an old account or thousands of battles.

If forumers believe we should take a look once more at the Quality Poster initiative I am more than happy to bring it to the table.

Kind regards,

Minia

[NWP]
Players
1,386 posts
11,196 battles

@Execute0rder66

Dear Friend, there is no need for such a thread. As Neil Degrasse Tyson said "If an argument lasts more than five minutes then both sides are wrong." You see, you cannot argue about opinion. And "Veterans" have hard held opinions. You can argue about facts. But then...between knowledgeable individuals that approach a discussion with open mind one sets the argument the other presents the counterargument and both at once agree on the right thing, There can be no debate about facts. Debates and arguments are about "opinions". We don't need more opinion, we need more facts. And you can find them in the open forum. We know who's opinion and who's argument to pay attention to. We know who talks facts and who just babbles. The rest we ignore.

@The_Chiv

What is wrong about elitism? According to what you posted "people described as having an intrinsic quality, high intellect, wealth, special skills, or experience—are more likely to be constructive to society as a whole". This sounds true to my ears. 

I really don't like the idea that a dumb person is to be taking decisions or a flat earther deciding about the curriculum of schools. I d rather smart people be making the decisions and real expert educated teachers deciding about what is to be taught in classrooms.

But lets keep the conversation to our game. I d rather read what X,Y, Z proven good player has to say about aspects of the game than read the babbling of anyone that think they know what they are talking about. And when confronted with facts about the lack of basic logic of their arguments they resort to playing the elitist card.

Anyone is entitled to have an opinion. Anyone is entitled to have their opinion spoken. But, who's opinion do you care about? I prefer to listen to those that know what they are talking about. You want to call them elites and elitists...good for you. Then in my book elite is a good word.

• Cool 1

Players
2,299 posts
31,385 battles
20 minutes ago, CptMinia said:

Hello,

Personally I think not. If I've understood your suggestion correctly, what you're suggesting is a section of the forums be closed to the general public to post in so that only some form of experienced players be allowed to take part on the presumption that statements within posts in this closed section of the forum will have some degree of experience behind them and therefore these posts will reflect more strongly to or against the discussion taking place. Is this correct?

Kind regards,

Minia

Hi, 

No, it is incorrect because i stated in a couple of posts already it would be an open section or sticky :Smile_sad: