Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
xSudden

Why is there an FPS lock at 75?

31 comments in this topic

[BOTS]
[BOTS]
Players
17 posts
10,442 battles

Dear Community,

I was wondering why there is an FPS cap at 75 frames that you cannot adjust via the In-Game settings? Its super annoying to go the registry after every little patch to unlock FPS again?

It would be a blessing to learn the reason for this unneded hustle...

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,177 posts
22,593 battles

Registry? You can just edit the engine_config.xml (in WoWS\bin\<highest number>\res\).

fps.png.256e605eddd905f2834a235596109053.png

144 fps works in battle but your PC will turn into a turbine in port. IMO a high number doesn't help much anyway, stable fps is better.

• Cool 1

Players
2,304 posts
31,435 battles
15 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Registry? You can just edit the engine_config.xml (in WoWS\bin\<highest number>\res\).

144 fps works in battle but your PC will turn into a turbine in port. IMO a high number doesn't help much anyway, stable fps is better.

I think (correct me if i'm wrong xSudden) what he's asking is, without having to go to registry, or editing the xml or doing it through the WoWs MOD pack, why can't we do it directly from the in-game settings.

• Cool 2

[I-J-N]
Players
5,472 posts

One thing about the FPS is, that if you set it higher than your rig is able to do, you will just end up with a highly unstable FPS which is not a good thing.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,022 posts
2 hours ago, xSudden said:

Dear Community,

I was wondering why there is an FPS cap at 75 frames that you cannot adjust via the In-Game settings? Its super annoying to go the registry after every little patch to unlock FPS again?

It would be a blessing to learn the reason for this unneded hustle...

Because of "glorious programming" with well optimised engine... :Smile_sceptic:

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,177 posts
22,593 battles
39 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

I think (correct me if i'm wrong xSudden) what he's asking is, without having to go to registry, or editing the xml or doing it through the WoWs MOD pack, why can't we do it directly from the in-game settings.

There is no in-game setting and IMO there is no need for one. There is no advantage in having a higher fps, this is a slow game. Your internet connection to WG's server and it's stability has much more impact.

• Cool 1

Players
2,304 posts
31,435 battles
7 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

There is no in-game setting and IMO there is no need for one. There is no advantage in having a higher fps, this is a slow game. Your internet connection to WG's server and it's stability has much more impact.

I know and hence my FPS is set to 60  since last year and a half. Though, for instance, I don't know technically how difficult it would be to embed such option in the game settings.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,022 posts

There is a mod in the modstaton for the fps locking just click and apply

Players
2,263 posts
14,115 battles
2 hours ago, xSudden said:

I was wondering why there is an FPS cap at 75 frames that you cannot adjust via the In-Game settings?

It is probably native FPS of our glorious Рубин, so no need for more comrade.

image.thumb.png.e1c97a185d4f13c8b8d893a5d0786c42.png

• Cool 2

[I-J-N]
Players
5,472 posts
3 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

It is probably native FPS of our glorious Рубин, so no need for more comrade.

image.thumb.png.e1c97a185d4f13c8b8d893a5d0786c42.png

Sadly, Soviet TV sets were actually very dangerous as some were made with explosive elements. A tiny power surge could spark a fire at any moment.

:Smile_ohmy:

https://www.rbth.com/history/329086-why-soviet-tv-was-dangerous

• Funny 1

Players
1,666 posts
1 hour ago, Ze_Reckless said:

This! WoWs is not a shooter where frames matter. Anything above 60 FPS is just a waste of money, because your graphics card runs at a higher power consumption without you gaining anything at all other than you can brag to yourself about a nice high number in the top left corner.

The smartest thing you can do is cap the FPS at your monitor Hz within your driver or with RivaTuner, unless you absolutely need the higher FPS. This way you save money (lower power consumption = lower electricity bill), your hardware last longer (slower electromigration), less noisy and your card has much more resources that can be put into more important things such as improving the image quality, higher AA settings, image sharpening, DSR, and so on.

But to each their own i guess…

• Cool 2

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,177 posts
22,593 battles
16 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

That's why parents never let me sit too close to the set.:cap_haloween:

Let me guess, you used this as a remote:

broom.thumb.jpg.03532775be1a4665b27e899773254876.jpg

• Funny 4

[BRITS]
Beta Tester
383 posts
7,973 battles

Freesync has 75hz refresh rate. My monitor has freesync and I have 75 fps inside the game.

[BOTS]
[BOTS]
Players
17 posts
10,442 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, ThePurpleSmurf sagte:

This! WoWs is not a shooter where frames matter. Anything above 60 FPS is just a waste of money, because your graphics card runs at a higher power consumption without you gaining anything at all other than you can brag to yourself about a nice high number in the top left corner.

The smartest thing you can do is cap the FPS at your monitor Hz within your driver or with RivaTuner, unless you absolutely need the higher FPS. This way you save money (lower power consumption = lower electricity bill), your hardware last longer (slower electromigration), less noisy and your card has much more resources that can be put into more important things such as improving the image quality, higher AA settings, image sharpening, DSR, and so on.

But to each their own i guess…

Well in essence, it is correct that you dont "need" more than 60 fps. And if your monitor can only run 60hz it is absolutely pointless to have more than 60 fps (or anything that is higher than what your monitor runs in terms of hz)

But (!!) if you have a monitor than can procude 100hz 144hz or 240hz, you sure want to run your game as close as possible to that number because the picture quality is so much smoother and more enjoyable.

Trust me, I was long a believer that anything above 60 fps/hz wouldnt even be recognizable by my eye and a pure waste of money.
However when I first saw a 120 hz combined with G-synch I literally was surprised what I saw.

I was so impressed that I had to upgrade immediately and consider it the most significant upgrade in picture quality I have experienced in years (despite game graphics just getting better overall).

So 120hz is what my monitor produces and therefor I want to run it at 120 fps.

So @ThePurpleSmurf @Ze_Reckless even though its correct that higher FPS is not a necessary thing per se, hower experiencing a lower FPS than your monitor can run (especially with g-synch) is a little bit comparable to having a 1920x1080p monitor being run at 1024x768p all the time.

Vor 5 Stunden, Execute0rder66 sagte:

@Execute0rder66 you are correct. I am asking exactly this.

• Cool 1

[BOTS]
[BOTS]
Players
17 posts
10,442 battles

@Origin47 I think freesynch and Gsynch work a little different than you might think. Somewhat simply said those technologies (either G-Synch or Freesynch) synchronize your frames which are sent to the monitor with the "refresh" rate (hz) or your monitor to prevent small distortions (tearing). If your monitor is able to procude 100hz freesynch will also synch at max 100 fps (provided your pc runs 100 fps).

But if your screen can handle 100hz, but WOWs procudes maximum 75 fps (as this is the standard limit of wows if you dont change it) freesynch will max out at 75 fps. So check your monitor what its actual possible refresh rate is and make sure you are not limited to 75 fps just because of wows...

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,627 posts
16,684 battles

Hi all,

If anyone is interested in learning more about the FPS and impact of FPS in games (and especially why GSync and FreeSync are such great inventions) I wholeheartedly recommend the "nVidia Pendulum Demo":

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/community/demos/

it is just 40+MB:

https://us.download.nvidia.com/downloads/cool_stuff/demos/Setup_G-SYNC_1.13.exe

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 3

[BOTS]
[BOTS]
Players
17 posts
10,442 battles

So despite the personal opinions of wether more frames and hertz are useful or not, the key question remains the same. Why is there no ingame function for it so everyone can decide for themself where to set the max fps cap.....?

Players
2,263 posts
14,115 battles
2 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Let me guess, you used this as a remote:

broom.thumb.jpg.03532775be1a4665b27e899773254876.jpg

Nope, I was a remote:cap_haloween:

• Funny 2

[BOTS]
[BOTS]
Players
17 posts
10,442 battles
Vor 37 Minuten, Leo_Apollo11 sagte:

Hi all,

If anyone is interested in learning more about the FPS and impact of FPS in games (and especially why GSync and FreeSync are such great inventions) I wholeheartedly recommend the "nVidia Pendulum Demo":

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/community/demos/

it is just 40+MB:

https://us.download.nvidia.com/downloads/cool_stuff/demos/Setup_G-SYNC_1.13.exe

Leo "Apollo11"

^this +1 :D 

[BOTS]
[BOTS]
Players
17 posts
10,442 battles
Vor 7 Stunden, Ze_Reckless sagte:

@Ze_Reckless thank you anyway for pointing this out and trying to help. However this is how im doing it I would just like to see this setting ingame. Maybe there are even people here who would like to cap it a less than 75 fps for whatever reason, who knows :Smile_hiding:

[I-J-N]
Players
5,472 posts
29 minutes ago, xSudden said:

@Ze_Reckless thank you anyway for pointing this out and trying to help. However this is how im doing it I would just like to see this setting ingame. Maybe there are even people here who would like to cap it a less than 75 fps for whatever reason, who knows :Smile_hiding:

I use 30.... :Smile_unsure:

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,246 battles

In WoWs I consider even the base 75 setting to be well over the top - which is precisely why I'd like an in-game setting for that. Because I prefer to keep my laptop quiet and be able to play a quick WoWs match while having other people in the same room and without bothering them with the noise. Having to use mods or go and edit files manually every time a patch comes is pretty annoying.

Sign in to follow this