Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lantirn

Speed Boost Question

10 comments in this topic

[CG]
[CG]
Players
31 posts
2,935 battles

Does Propulsion Modification 1 affects the performance of Speed Boost consumable? 

Is the acceleration combined from both when Speed Boost is active? Or the Speed Boost is overmatching the Propulsion modification?

Or the speed boost is only for the max speed? (no acceleration)

Edit: Where Speed Boost=Engine Boost...sorry for that

[THESO]
Players
4,410 posts
11,817 battles

Never crunched any numbers just to be clear, but I would say they add up.

Now I am not using the propulsion mod on many ships (if any tbh, since RN CL buff), but I use engine boost regularly to get out of torps way when stationary.

If I'm mistaken, then its gonna be a revelation gor me :)

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Propulsion mod enhances acceleration, speed boost increases acceleration and maximum speed. You can get even more acceleration from speed boost with propulsion mod, but you won't get faster than without propulsion mod.

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,706 posts
38,348 battles

For speed boost your can buy for coal speed boost modification in armoury. It doesn't increase your speed but the time the speed boost is active. +30% longer speed boost. 

[CG]
[CG]
Players
31 posts
2,935 battles
36 minutes ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Propulsion mod enhances acceleration, speed boost increases acceleration and maximum speed. You can get even more acceleration from speed boost with propulsion mod, but you won't get faster than without propulsion mod.

Thanks. So they enhance each other. 

4 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

For speed boost your can buy for coal speed boost modification in armoury. It doesn't increase your speed but the time the speed boost is active. +30% longer speed boost. 

Already have it :Smile_glasses:

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
46 minutes ago, Lantirn said:

Thanks. So they enhance each other. 

Imo, prop mod on ships with engine boost is worth it only in few cases:

• DDs you take it on those that often stay in a smoke or in some place and might need to accelerate, while not needing to open gunboat. IJN DDs are a prime example where I'd go prop mod despite already getting engine boost, as I hardly ever would need a faster rudder, but acceleration/deceleration helps get moving or stop if you see torps coming or other weird stuff. USN DDs would be similar to me, while for French or Russians, I'd go rudder, so as to be better able to dodge with rudder, while speed boost handles the aceleration/deceleration and you typically should run speed boost when open water gunboating with them, while being shot at.
  • For cruisers, only case that comes to mind is Henri, now that they nerfed its acceleration to bits. Most cruisers already run rudder over propulsion and those where I do run propulsion on don't have a speed boost (e.g. USN CAs, which play a lot around island cover)
  • On BBs, you run damage control mod. And even if you think you can skip it on stuff like Georgia or Gascogne because fast heal, I'd go rudder to go with the speed if I were to deviate from the build.

[CG]
[CG]
Players
31 posts
2,935 battles
10 hours ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Imo, prop mod on ships with engine boost is worth it only in few cases:

• DDs you take it on those that often stay in a smoke or in some place and might need to accelerate, while not needing to open gunboat. IJN DDs are a prime example where I'd go prop mod despite already getting engine boost, as I hardly ever would need a faster rudder, but acceleration/deceleration helps get moving or stop if you see torps coming or other weird stuff. USN DDs would be similar to me, while for French or Russians, I'd go rudder, so as to be better able to dodge with rudder, while speed boost handles the aceleration/deceleration and you typically should run speed boost when open water gunboating with them, while being shot at.
  • For cruisers, only case that comes to mind is Henri, now that they nerfed its acceleration to bits. Most cruisers already run rudder over propulsion and those where I do run propulsion on don't have a speed boost (e.g. USN CAs, which play a lot around island cover)
  • On BBs, you run damage control mod. And even if you think you can skip it on stuff like Georgia or Gascogne because fast heal, I'd go rudder to go with the speed if I were to deviate from the build.

Actually I have the prop mod on my Georgia and I am flirting between this and rudder shift (steering gears mod 1)

[POP]
Players
637 posts
12,538 battles

With prop mod on cruisers you can speedjuke the incoming shells while still having all guns on the target. It's like the poor mans version of the old Henri IV speedjuke tanking. Haven't really missed the rudder shift mod on any ship.

Works wonderfully for me.

[SHAD]
Players
2,984 posts
12,714 battles

I’m not sure it does make a difference.

The propulsion mod halves the time it takes for the engine to reach full power.

Speed boost seems to make the engine reach full power instantaneously.

If that is the case, the propulsion mod and speed boost do not stack in any meaningful way.

[CG]
[CG]
Players
31 posts
2,935 battles
4 hours ago, gopher31 said:

I’m not sure it does make a difference.

The propulsion mod halves the time it takes for the engine to reach full power.

Speed boost seems to make the engine reach full power instantaneously.

If that is the case, the propulsion mod and speed boost do not stack in any meaningful way.

That’s what I think, differences are small.

I will give a try on rudder shift.

EDIT: I tried it. The difference is huge without prop mod...the speed boost is not so strong. Definitely will stay with prop mod on.

Sign in to follow this