You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
WarDax

Arsonist - tips on how to accomplish?

34 comments in this topic

[REGIN]
Players
135 posts

So I have to complete the achievement Arsonist. I never have thus far, not even by accident, I read some tips in the US forum, but I wonder if you may share any additional insight?

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/167699-arsonist-achievment/

Also

With Cleveland from 2015...

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/content/guides/achievements/

Set an enemy ship on fire and destroy her. Damage caused by fire must exceed 40% of the destroyed ship's normal HP.

So from my German ships I was kinda thinking loading up a T5 or T6 to do this, even getting München since it claims to be fast firing... I could do Mainz but it is kinda fragile... Nünberg has a reload time of 6.0 secs... I think reload time is important to achieve this.

Open for opinions...

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,175 posts
9,431 battles

No real tips or tactic for this. Play a spam type ship, pepper your target with HE and hope it's one of those players that don't run full fire prevention builds and don't use their damage control properly. If anything it is enemy dependant and not really much you can do on your end.

Players
696 posts
3 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Today Arsonist is as hard as Liquidator... it is a case of pot luck nowadays.

Did they ever return the Liquidator-achievement? It got removed quickly after the CV-rework, but I think it was before nerfing the flooding mechanism.

Unsinkable, now there's are rare achievement.

• Cool 1

Players
2,393 posts
2 minutes ago, Fatal_Ramses said:

Did they ever return the Liquidator-achievement? It got removed quickly after the CV-rework, but I think it was before nerfing the flooding mechanism.

I have absolutely no idea all I know is that I haven't had one since February 2018.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,141 posts
9,500 battles

Imo german Cruisers are not really suited for that, as their firechance is pretty low. T5-6 have reasonable reload, but higher firechance makes it easier.

French ships (starting T6) are suited for this, as they have MBRB. Get the target to use DCP, then shortly after that pop the reload booster to get permafires. Whether you get the actual kill tho, is down to your team not grabbing it before he dies :cap_haloween:

Also you wanna ofc shoot BBs for that, in case that wasnt clear.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
43 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Today Arsonist is as hard as Liquidator... it is a case of pot luck nowadays.

Arsonist is way easier to accomplish than Liquidator, on par imo with Witherer. Pick right ship and right target and you easily get it. Liquidator meanwhile is basically impossible to get.

35 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Imo german Cruisers are not really suited for that, as their firechance is pretty low. T5-6 have reasonable reload, but higher firechance makes it easier.

French ships (starting T6) are suited for this, as they have MBRB. Get the target to use DCP, then shortly after that pop the reload booster to get permafires. Whether you get the actual kill tho, is down to your team not grabbing it before he dies :cap_haloween:

Also you wanna ofc shoot BBs for that, in case that wasnt clear.

German cruisers aren't bad, as fire chance per shell may be crap, but when you throw out this many shells, it adds up. There's a reason the Mainz can reach levels of non-IFHE Chapayev in terms of fire setting, while keeping its great 38 mm pen and the Hindenburg outperforms the Zao and among heavy cruisers only gets outdone by the Des Moines and Salem.

As to how to get Arsonist I'd say, if you try mid-tiers, IJN CA are a decent choice, due to decent fire chance, decent tankiness and not having enhanced pen. After all, if you want to get the achievement, you want a ship that can set an enemy on fire, does not die from return fire and actually doesn't do much in pen damage compared to fire chance. Something like Hindenburg for example would be good only if you actually leave people to burn inbetween not just non-stop shell them till they die, as you'd get way more pen damage. Something like Smolensk meanwhile is made for the job, setting ridiculous amounts of fires while doing crap all in raw pen damage.

• Cool 1

[REGIN]
Players
135 posts

Ok, so I am relieved my question actually seems to have been reasonably motivated and that you guys don't bash me for missing something obvious and noobish... :cap_like:

I am reluctant to use Hindenburg (I have it) and stick to mid tiers like Nürnberg seems like a better choice, it is just cheaper overall. Could try with Grose Kürfust but seems like a bad idea... 

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,175 posts
9,431 battles
9 minutes ago, WarDax said:

Ok, so I am relieved my question actually seems to have been reasonably motivated and that you guys don't bash me for missing something obvious and noobish... :cap_like:

I am reluctant to use Hindenburg (I have it) and stick to mid tiers like Nürnberg seems like a better choice, it is just cheaper overall. Could try with Grose Kürfust but seems like a bad idea... 

Hinden is not a bad choice for potential arsonist as it spits out lots of shells and is a pretty good firestarter. Plus it can survive longer than a Nurnberg for instance so the chances of piling on more fires and chances to get an Arsonist can be higher.

[THESO]
Players
617 posts
12,216 battles

The only real trick is to get the target burning again after he has used damage control. If you then immediately get a fire, then it will burn for a good while. If you get two fires, then you're already pretty close to Arsonist -- but only if it's you who finally gets the kill.

The German ships have HE shells with low fire chance, so they are not ideal. But the best thing you can do is mount India X-Ray and Victor Lima signals, and spam HE nonetheless. If you can, get Demolition Expert for your skipper. If you can, focus on a ship that nobody else in your team can killsteal.

Players
826 posts
5,514 battles

My noobish notion of ship candidates:

- Mid- to high tier British BB (Thunderer if you have it)?

- Smolensk (if you have it).

- Friesland (if you have it).

That said, this seems to be a 'luck of the draw' achievement for various reasons mentioned above. Though somehow I have managed to get one (of two) in the Kirov.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
19 minutes ago, asalonen said:

The German ships have HE shells with low fire chance, so they are not ideal.

Low fire chance per shell would be bad if you don't just throw more shells out than most other ships at your tier, meaning stuff like flags or DE have a disproportionate impact on your ability to set fires.

Spoiler

XYIBh2a.png

From LWM's London review.

For a ship that doesn't need IFHE, the Nürnberg is hands down the best fire setter at T6, anyone who's better has to live with the fact they cannot pen even same tier BBs. And even then, they'd be barely better. Similar results you get for Königsberg, München, Mainz and Hindenburg. Yorck, Hipper, PE and Roon are overall rather mediocre for the job.

• Cool 1

Players
672 posts
14,738 battles

Couple of tips from some one who plays way too much cruiser.

1. When you start a fire on a BB stop shooting HE at it and switch targets. Basic BB logic says let one fire burn 2 fires or more put out. If they put out 1 fire Keep shooting
  2. When you see the enemy take a torp and you see flood indications suddenly go away soon after getting it focus fire them and stack fires
  3. Play ships with high fire chance or high rate of fire with a modest fire chances. (UK BBS GREAT FIRE CHANCE, Smolensk GREAT RATE OF FIRE)
  4. Focus less on getting the achievement and more on winning, the achievements will come. 

shot-20.11.21_15.28.44-0351.jpg

• Cool 2

Players
2,700 posts
21,714 battles

This is one of the achievements that comes the hardest to me, which is probably indicative of sucky positioning and doing too little damage overall, and usually dieing too soon.

You don't just need to do a lot of fire damage but you also need to avoid taking a lot of damage in return, at least before you can finish off the target. So your position needs to reflect that. And you need to be able to secure the kill yourself. Now what usually happens is the lower a target gets, the more players in range tend to focus it. So ideally you want to pick a target that cannot easily be hit by anyone else to avoid the kill steal.

So as per usual, the best tier for this would seem to be tha magic Nine because on any other tier, you runa much higher chance of not only the enemy CV but even the one on your own team to massively interfere with your plans.

[REGIN]
Players
135 posts
12 hours ago, The_Chiv said:
  1. Focus less on getting the achievement and more on winning, the achievements will come. 

I would agree if my win rate in Random was above 30%. Since it is not, I  tend to focus on what I can do regardless of win. While still trying to have a constructive and destructive impact on the team.

6 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

So as per usual, the best tier for this would seem to be tha magic Nine because on any other tier, you runa much higher chance of not only the enemy CV but even the one on your own team to massively interfere with your plans.

Magic nine? Care to elaborate on that?

I currently have Ägir in 9. Sold off all (well those I had) 9 cruisers to get Hindenburg which turned out to be a bit of a fragile choice... I guess I could get Roon back... or get Pommern.

• Cool 1

[2DQT]
Players
378 posts

Play at night when you have more casual players and smaller teams. Use a fire flag which wont increase the chance much, but a bit. 

Players
672 posts
14,738 battles
1 minute ago, WarDax said:

I would agree if my win rate in Random was above 30%. Since it is not, I  tend to focus on what I can do regardless of win. While still trying to have a constructive and destructive impact on the team.

I currently have Ägir in 9. Sold off all (well those I had) 9 cruisers to get Hindenburg which turned out to be a bit of a fragile choice... I guess I could get Roon back... or get Pommern.

Ahh low win rate simple fix.

1. STOP SHOWING BROADSIDE SO MUCH.
  2. ONLY FOOLS RUSH IN
  3. Wait for your target to engage another target before firing. Just because you can take a shot doesn't mean you should.
  4. It is ok not to use all your guns.
  5. Dynamic crosshair is your friend use it.
  6. Focus fire on the same target and use f3 to highlight a target so others will fire on it.
  7. Kill dds and radar ships first everything else is a lessor priority. 
  8. Never take a shot and try to turn away, Start to turn away first and at the apex of the turn then fire and thus set up a kiting angle(easier to dodge and mitigate damage.)
  • Cool 1

[2DQT]
Players
378 posts
7 minutes ago, WarDax said:

Is Roon really that good/fun enough for you to get back ? Just curious, as I'm choosing a new t9 cruiser now.

Players
2,081 posts
16,277 battles

By insisting on getting arsonist with german ships you are making this much harder than it needs to be. It’s just not a nation tree well suited to the type of gameplay that results in this achievement very often. Get a known fire starter and get it done. Obviously Smolensk would be easy mode, if you have it. Otherwise, French or IJN cruisers. I had it with a Friesland as well. Akizuki, Kitakaze or Harugumo might work too.

Players
315 posts
5,207 battles
25 minutes ago, rimmer_the said:

Is Roon really that good/fun enough for you to get back ? Just curious, as I'm choosing a new t9 cruiser now.

its basically a hindenburg without the front gun to tempt you into another way of playing then the kiting wiggler she is so good at 

what she does best she does just as good as the hindenburg

just less versatile tho still not horrible in most situations 

[REGIN]
Players
135 posts
1 hour ago, The_Chiv said:
  1. STOP SHOWING BROADSIDE SO MUCH.
  2. ONLY FOOLS RUSH IN
  3. Wait for your target to engage another target before firing. Just because you can take a shot doesn't mean you should.
  4. It is ok not to use all your guns.
  5. Dynamic crosshair is your friend use it.
  6. Focus fire on the same target and use f3 to highlight a target so others will fire on it.
  7. Kill dds and radar ships first everything else is a lessor priority. 
  8. Never take a shot and try to turn away, Start to turn away first and at the apex of the turn then fire and thus set up a kiting angle(easier to dodge and mitigate damage.)

I know... got yelled at for being to far away with my Kurfurst but I was pounding with every shot and not running into a crossfire, three minutes later the rest of the team, including the whiner, was gone. 30 seconds after that I was gone. I actually have been both reading up and watcing youtubes... but broadside, my guns are there, I wanna fire with all of them :cap_rambo:

1 hour ago, rimmer_the said:

Not sure, I only had it for a short while running up for Hindenburg...

1 hour ago, Captain_Newman said:

By insisting on getting arsonist with german ships you are making this much harder than it needs to be. It’s just not a nation tree well suited to the type of gameplay that results in this achievement very often. Get a known fire starter and get it done. Obviously Smolensk would be easy mode, if you have it. Otherwise, French or IJN cruisers. I had it with a Friesland as well. Akizuki, Kitakaze or Harugumo might work too.

I am considering buying a Premium ship from another tree, but I have thus far completed all but DD in the German Tree and I would like to stick to that. Spending 20-60 bucks  ( $ € ) to complete an achievement is of course a bit steep, but could also be an investment.

Anyhow failed again... I need more silver... need to do a few König / Eitel Friedrich  / Scharnhorst / Bismarck runs to get some cash... reliable sturdy killers...

Players
2,081 posts
16,277 battles
19 minutes ago, WarDax said:

I am considering buying a Premium ship from another tree, but I have thus far completed all but DD in the German Tree and I would like to stick to that. Spending 20-60 bucks  ( $ € ) to complete an achievement is of course a bit steep, but could also be an investment.

Anyhow failed again... I need more silver... need to do a few König / Eitel Friedrich  / Scharnhorst / Bismarck runs to get some cash... reliable sturdy killers...

Buying a premium to get any achievement is not something I can recommend, it's just wasted money. My advice to you is to stop trying to actively get any achievement and just keep playing to the best of your ability. Achievements will come.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,068 posts

@OP Take a RN BB for instance Thunder or Nelson (depending what tier you need) or if you need it to be a cruiser IJN or French, anyways RN BBs are best suited for it esp T10 ones, you just pick a positon for decent firing line on several enemy BBs and fire HE on them until one of them uses DCP and then you light them on fire again, you dont want to do 2 much direct damage as fire needs to burn for a while, ofc your team might just kill the target 2 fast or steal the kill but not much you can do there...

Alternate option is a CV with strong HE bombs that you can use to fly deep into the enemy backround and find a target that will only be yours but you will likely get salt and reports for that...

If it has to be german ship IDK, I guess Nurnberg or Sharnhorst can be used to a degree, Hindi can as well but you will have a harder time with her doing it in T10 then say with Zao or Yoshino...

Players
2,700 posts
21,714 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, WarDax sagte:

Tier IX gets the fewest carrier battles, about 33% on average.

Any other tier between III and X gets between 50 and 100%.

It feels as though I've gotten the most of my few Arsonists with English BBs, especially Lion and Thunderer. Alsace was also good though.

• Cool 1