Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lantirn

Aim Assist

12 comments in this topic

[CG]
[CG]
Players
31 posts
2,935 battles

Hi gents.

I am new to BBs and I have noticed some things regarding aiming.

When 2 targets are close enough and you aim at the de-selected one (not with X), the shot goes off. While when aiming at the correct target selected (with X) the shot goes spot on, with the guns being at the same position. 

This happened by mistake at first, so I realized what's going on and from there on I always carefully select with X the correct target I intend to shoot. 

So shells are not just going on the pixel you aim, there is something else behind.

I suck at long range aiming since I played for long only DD's and the last days I noticed that I got some very good hits with Georgia almost 25km away and I was excited by my aiming to be honest with only those 6 shells, so I thought that must be something else and not me:Smile_veryhappy:

I have noticed the shells go somewhat to the target to assist you.

Is there something available to look at?

Does it affect dispersion or precision when you incorrectly aim near the target? 

• Cool 1

Players
315 posts
5,207 battles

range is aim assisted

especially approaching or retreating ships

accuracy would go down below 10% if it wasnt 

its for all ship classes not just BBs

dispersion is not affected by the autoaim shells will fly all over the place no matter who you have targeted as a BB

and there is no horizontal autoaim, only vertical 

[CATS]
Players
28,241 posts
14,929 battles
  • shots without target lock have a bigger dispersion
  • target lock makes the aim assist use the correct elevation for the guns, because at longer distances, when you aim in front of a ship, the spot you aim at is really a couple hundred meters behind the target and you would miss, auto aim corrects that
  • Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
11,126 posts
9,500 battles
2 minutes ago, Ashardalon_Dragnipur said:

and there is no horizontal autoaim, only vertical 

There is also horizontal aim assist.

Try shooting a ship, which is about to beach and not aim at the island -> the game will make you shoot the islands, since thats where the ship was "supposed" to be, but couldnt because of the island. Alltho im not sure, to what extend this happens, but its as much so that you will notice.

Players
315 posts
5,207 battles

never noticed that one, have shot island ramming ships more then a few times and didnt hit the island

but i could be wrong about no horizontal aim assist

island ramming is a less common occurrence then shooting at a approaching or fleeing ship so maybe i didnt notice it yet 

the key battle mortar gun is a pretty good example of how extreme the vertical autoaim is 

if there is horizontal, its significantly less 

[THESO]
Players
615 posts
12,209 battles
40 minutes ago, Lantirn said:

Does it affect dispersion or precision when you incorrectly aim near the target? 

The target lock is absolutely crucial in this game. It provides you with aim assist that most importantly helps you to shoot at the correct range. If your target lock is on a "wrong" ship, then most likely you won't hit since the aim assist corrects your shooting range on the wrong target.

If you don't have target lock on ANY ship, then the dispersion ellipse of your shells becomes twice as big. The idea here is that if you lose sight of a ship, for example in a smoke or behind an island, then your blind shots are unlikely to cause good damage.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,247 battles
2 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

There is also horizontal aim assist.

Try shooting a ship, which is about to beach and not aim at the island -> the game will make you shoot the islands, since thats where the ship was "supposed" to be, but couldnt because of the island. Alltho im not sure, to what extend this happens, but its as much so that you will notice.

I don't think I've ever noticed this while shooting ships I expected to beach. Although this is most common when playing DDs (also because that's my most played class) so the shell flight time usually isn't that long, possibly making such situations less obvious. Then again, I wonder how it would be supposed to work? When you aim at a fast-sailing ship, you're guaranteed to shoot behind it. So if there is a correction, it would need to be a small fraction of the actual needed lead. But if so, it defeats the purpose, because it doesn't take lead for you, it just f*cks up your calculation of needed lead... What's the point of even having such a mechanic then?

2 hours ago, Lantirn said:

When 2 targets are close enough and you aim at the de-selected one (not with X), the shot goes off. While when aiming at the correct target selected (with X) the shot goes spot on, with the guns being at the same position. 

This happened by mistake at first, so I realized what's going on and from there on I always carefully select with X the correct target I intend to shoot. 

So shells are not just going on the pixel you aim, there is something else behind. 

There are two things:

1. The shells don't land exactly on the pixel you picked - there is a bit of randomness involved and this randomness is bigger when firing without target lock

2. The aim assist that goes roughly like this (assume stationary target for cleaner example):

- without target lock: you aim at a place in the water. Aim at ship's superstructure? Now you're aiming at the water you WOULD be pointing at if there was no ship there. If you fire like this, you'll probably overshoot, possibly by a lot.

- with target lock: you aim at the selected ship. Aim at ship's superstructure? Now you're aiming at the superstructure - your gunners still assume that the DISTANCE you want to shoot is the same but you want your shells to reach that given distance at specific height over the water. If you shoot, your shells will hit superstructure (the ones precise enough, at least - since there's the random factor involved)

This makes it much easier to aim, especially when you want to hit the superstructure or hit slightly below waterline - but it also means that if you have a target lock on the WRONG ship, your salvo will be f*cked up like hell. Imagine two ships, one 18 km from you, the other 20km, 2km behind it. Imagine you've locked onto the closer one but are aiming at the further one. And Imagine that your shells have a high trajectory so they fall down almost vertically.

And, here's how your aim is going to be interpreted:

1. Ok, so we aim at a ship 18km away.

2. Now we adjust the elevation so that our shells reach 18km target at altitude of... a bit higher than the tallest battleship's superstructure? Huh, whatever, that's what the captain wants, we're not here to do the thinking, execute!

...aaand then you can watch how your shells gloriously fly over the first ship and drop into the water right behind it

It's very important to make sure you have the right ship selected. The game does a decent job to pick them automatically, but when that's not good enough, you can help it by learning to use the target lock (or whatever it was called) key... I think it's X, although I'm not 100% sure if that's not my custom key binding so you might want to double check in your controls settings :Smile_honoring:

[SHAFT]
Players
11,126 posts
9,500 battles
9 hours ago, eliastion said:

What's the point of even having such a mechanic then?

I have no idea really... but it has happened to me a few times. Even Flamu talks about it sometimes.

Alltho we dont know, if there arent different levels of assitance. Like, the worse you aim, the more help you get or something :cap_hmm:

[-TPF-]
Players
4,254 posts
17,793 battles

I must admit that I have become much more aware of Target Lock recently, mostly because the game keeps choosing the wrong ship. The animations (the little circle) also seem more prominent, were they changed with a recent patch? 

[UA-NF]
Players
431 posts
7,437 battles
Vor 17 Stunden, Lantirn sagte:

I have noticed the shells go somewhat to the target to assist you.

it's not 'aim assist' but more like 'zoom aim'.... If you have target selected, aiming is 'zoomed' on that target and your shots land near that target even if your cursor is elsewhere. Game always assumes you are shooting your selected target, and compares your cursor location to the location of target and sends shells correspondingly. Without such assist it wouldn't be possible to aim at all. If you aim on target 15-20km away, each vertical pixel on your screen would be equal to hundreds of meters, it wouldn't be possible to aim for citadel and such. Instead game zoomes on target and each pixel corresponds to what do I know, five meters, or ten or twenty, around your target. So you can move your cursor few pixels up and you are targeting superstructure instead of citadel. Without aim assist those few pixels would already aim many hundred meters behind the target.

But it's hilarious when you sometimes aim for one ship and hit another, when it happens.

[CG]
[CG]
Players
31 posts
2,935 battles

Thanks a lot. Makes more sense now.

The video above gives really good hints especially on the mini map, which I was using it one click below maximum. Now I am using it in max scale, with transparent waters. Helps a lot.

Sign in to follow this