Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
enzog_1

Return RTS CVs

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[DODUS]
Players
4 posts
11,742 battles

Hi, i want to talk about aircraft carriers. First some context: I'm a Age of Empires player. My favorite gamemode is RTS since i started playing on PC. But in all the games i could play (AoE, starcarft, totalwar, etc) there was always something missing. Like if i played against someone it would just a battle of micro, just a 1v1 on who's the fastest in making things happen. I've always wondered if there would be someday a game that would integrate RTS type of play in a team battle. Where the player would NOT decide but influence the outcoming of the game. Just like another brick in the wall... And then I found  World of Warships. You see for people like me, RTS CVs was the charm of the game. Now don't get me wrong, they were OP as hell and needed to be balanced but the idea was just great and I think it would be a shame to just to throw it away for some damage focused arcade gameplay that is even worse ( it is almost impossible to stop the first wave of attack of a full squadron). Here are some suggestions for the balancing and rework of CVs:

 

1. Return to the old RTS gameplay;

 

2. Make CVs less focused on damage but more on spotting, finishing ships or starting fires/inondations and mostly protecting teammates by rewarding them more credits and XP on these tasks;

 

3. Make AA more interactive and balanced by letting the players shoot the planes. On ships that have double purpose guns it would be possible to load AA ammunition (on keyboard: HE shells => 1, AP shells => 2, Torpedoes => 3 and AA ammo => 4). This AA ammo would explode in a certain distance and deal a good amount of damage (depending on gun caliber, nation, etc) on planes nearby. If the player hits a plane, the whole squadron takes some damage and lose 1 plane. For ships with single purpose guns AA reinforcement is stronger but is divided in 4 parts( top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right) instead of 2 (actual left and right). I think this would greatly help Destroyer players and specialize Light Cruisers;

 

4. And finally, make it more difficult for CV players to launch planes. Historicaly, aircraft carriers would not launch planes against the wind, it could be integrated in the game. Make the hangar limited again but with a countdown for the planes preparation. Make it impossible to launch planes behind a island.

 

These solutions may be obsolete but are  i think a beginning... 

  • Cool 12
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DREAD]
Players
10,252 posts
7,172 battles

Unfortunately the RTS part wasn’t really good 

 

I do LOVE good RTS games but the CV RTS Minigame wasn’t that by any means

 

EDIT: pardon 

  • Cool 3
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LEEUW]
Players
2,640 posts
10,321 battles
44 minutes ago, enzog_1 said:

Like if i played against someone it would just a battle of micro, just a 1v1 on who's the fastest in making things happen.

Yes....so much fun.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,957 posts
12,937 battles

I also liked the RTS cv gameplay way more than what it is now. It was like having a break from wows and playing a different title. 

 

The only thing sucked were the bugs and unresponsive slow UI which they never fixed, i dont even know if this game interface is suitable for 3-400 actions per minute, what a real RTS title requires... 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,277 posts
9,954 battles

I think you probably realize yourself that what you suggest is not going to happen. Going from RTS CV's to the present iteration was the single biggest design change in the game, and they're near-certain to not reverse this.

The rework was also objectively successful at least on two fronts: made CV's more popular, and reduced the skill/influence gap between good and bad CV players, so WG's unlikely to feel compelled to do anything this radical.

They still aren't very fun to play against as a surface ship, which remains an unsolved problem...

 

I liked playing them also, mind you. I wish someone did a RTS indie game focusing on aircraft carriers alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
495 posts
10,863 battles

No. There was many good reasons it was taken out, the best being the omnipresence of the tiny tiny percentage of Unicum CV players who had the hand - eye coordination to deal one shot death to the whole opposing team. Money talks and WG had to make CVs sellable to the masses.

  • Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,083 posts
16,289 battles

Regardless of any arguments here, returning the old RTS system would mean WG admitting the rework was a failure. I think you'll sooner see a certain president concede he lost the elections than this happening.

  • Cool 7
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NMA]
Players
87 posts
4,313 battles
51 minutes ago, peoplescavalry said:

No. There was many good reasons it was taken out, the best being the omnipresence of the tiny tiny percentage of Unicum CV players who had the hand - eye coordination to deal one shot death to the whole opposing team. Money talks and WG had to make CVs sellable to the masses.

That's true to some extent, but from my experience I'd say the gap between good and bad CV didn't decrease enough to justify complete removal of CV vs CV interaction or any kind of multitasking...On top of that you could compare the pre REE CV to wasp stinging you hard but once vs the annoying mosquito now buzzing around endlessly screwing with you for a good minute while having your hands tied behind your back no matter what ship you're in. Hey, but you can try to twist around viciously to "just dodge" and mosquitoes are fun..right?

Inbefore this thread gets merged to wall of shame aka CV discussion thread.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Players
160 posts
9,407 battles

https://youtu.be/2TV3emHuyH8


Oh yeah brings the good odd rts cv gameplay, and get even more unbalanced game, Wows needs this for sure.

im not against « rts gameplay games » but just remember how it was, like 90% bad players and 10% very good players and we all know what these 10% players could do in game.:Smile_trollface:
 

Answers are probably more with bringing support class CV (to counter) and try some balance with current CVs if needed like rockets against dd’s,  Reduce AP bombs dmg and maybe buff some AA to be more competitive ( and guys if you stay close to one or two ships that’s enough to avoid strikes) the tons of yolo’s player i see get sunk and whine because of broken CVs.. funny.

 

for me CV’s arent more annoying than HE  spamming..

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UA-NF]
Players
435 posts
7,472 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, jss78 sagte:

The rework was also objectively successful at least on two fronts: made CV's more popular, and reduced the skill/influence gap between good and bad CV players, so WG's unlikely to feel compelled to do anything this radical.

exactly... in eyes of WG, CV rework is a success. And current CVs are way less OP then RTS ones were, and more popular

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,894 posts
19,449 battles

WG have an extremely stubborn attitude when it comes to the CV rework. There is nothing that would compel them to admit it was a mistake it's hard enough for them to admit mistakes were made in the implication, and they will never go back to RTS. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,307 posts
31,630 battles
9 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

WG have an extremely stubborn attitude when it comes to the CV rework. There is nothing that would compel them to admit it was a mistake it's hard enough for them to admit mistakes were made in the implication, and they will never go back to RTS. 

I guess it depends on the definition of success when it comes to rework. 

I.e. If their goal was to have more CV players by making it dumb-proof to play, their spreadsheets may be saying they achieved their goal and hence they may call it success.

They are the ones that design and develop this game, not us. Therefore, their definition of success is more important. If they can justify they reached their goal to their bosses,  rest is story "Of course we listen to the community"...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,469 posts
20,573 battles
2 hours ago, xxHELIOS said:

but just remember how it was, like 90% bad players and 10% very good players and we all know what these 10% players could do in game.

 

Why remember when this is still the case?

Objectively speaking the rework has hilariously failed in almost every aspect, including adressing the skill gap.

  • Cool 6
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SV]
Players
1,107 posts
14,160 battles
3 hours ago, xxHELIOS said:

https://youtu.be/2TV3emHuyH8


Oh yeah brings the good odd rts cv gameplay, and get even more unbalanced game, Wows needs this for sure.

im not against « rts gameplay games » but just remember how it was, like 90% bad players and 10% very good players and we all know what these 10% players could do in game.:Smile_trollface:
 

Answers are probably more with bringing support class CV (to counter) and try some balance with current CVs if needed like rockets against dd’s,  Reduce AP bombs dmg and maybe buff some AA to be more competitive ( and guys if you stay close to one or two ships that’s enough to avoid strikes) the tons of yolo’s player i see get sunk and whine because of broken CVs.. funny.

 

for me CV’s arent more annoying than HE  spamming..

i agree people who want it back and think it was balanced has a weird think of remebering things!

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
426 posts
2,279 battles

Not going to happen. All we can hope is that WeeGee eventually get's sick of the negative press and tries again on the reeeeeework. Which won't be until after aquatic cash cows err... Submarines get released... so... next year maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Players
160 posts
9,407 battles
Il y a 1 heure, El2aZeR a dit :

 

Why remember when this is still the case?

Objectively speaking the rework has hilariously failed in almost every aspect, including adressing the skill gap.

Sorry but i disagree, the 90% bad rts players are closer to be average than mediocre cause it is way  easier to play CV now and about the 10% rts gods they cant performs anymore as they did before just because they cant control multiple squads anymore so the skill gap between bad and gods is reduced and i guess more players tried or play this class after that « rework », for me the rework didnt failed just because it’s still wip.

  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,469 posts
20,573 battles
1 hour ago, xxHELIOS said:

Sorry but i disagree, the 90% bad rts players are closer to be average than mediocre cause it is way  easier to play CV now and about the 10% rts gods they cant performs anymore as they did before just because they cant control multiple squads anymore so the skill gap between bad and gods is reduced and i guess more players tried or play this class after that « rework », for me the rework didnt failed just because it’s still wip.

 

Well, then you're simply wrong. Average and bad rework players actually do a lot worse compared to before.

This is why e.g. you get a lot more PR for the same stats compared to previously as PR calculation is based on averages. And the PR difference is quite staggering due to, again, how much worse average and bad reworked CV players are.

Basic example:

PhmwwKp.png

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WCWVE]
Players
1,051 posts
16,833 battles

I much preferred the old RTS style CV's and seriously think that WG need to rework the current CV's so that we get the best of both worlds 

I.e. somewhere in the middle with ship contrallability and the option to use the older style of attack instead of the current attack style 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×