You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Skyee_8492

Uss Oklahoma

42 comments in this topic

[91-BS]
Players
170 posts

USS Oklahoma

giphy.gif

40 second reload!

WHY?

I rate dreadnought BB's so i'm not new to this but this ship is hot garbage hence why its free.

It has the same guns as Texas & Arizona but some how they seem worse, the reload time is completely laughable!

Its like a US BB Meme, I thought i was in for a T5 Arizona experience because i love playing that ship but nope.

If you don't have one, don't be upset you didn't get one because its not good.

lo.png

[XTREM]
Players
1,885 posts
14,428 battles

You trade a lot for having lulzy secondaries.

Her speed retention after performing manoeuvres is terrible, acceleration not good, reload is bad, alright fine. 

But on top of all these things, she has atrocious penetration on the main guns. 

NxoaHjE.png

^ Pic from LWM preview 

She at least has good conceal and improved heal though *Shrug*

I want it.

Also plus one for Anthony Fantano meme 

100928287_277268036726315_390799812997414912_n.jpg.6754323fe99927306fef9ba0d61345ee.jpg

• Funny 1

[91-BS]
Players
170 posts
48 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

You trade a lot for having lulzy secondaries.

Her speed retention after performing manoeuvres is terrible, acceleration not good, reload is bad, alright fine. 

But on top of all these things, she has atrocious penetration on the main guns. 

NxoaHjE.png

^ Pic from LWM preview 

She at least has good conceal and improved heal though *Shrug*

I want it.

Also plus one for Anthony Fantano meme 

100928287_277268036726315_390799812997414912_n.jpg.6754323fe99927306fef9ba0d61345ee.jpg

my memes are your memes :Smile_veryhappy:

[POP]
Beta Tester
209 posts
9,495 battles
On 11/19/2020 at 1:59 PM, Skyee_8492 said:

its not good

Understatement of the year.

• Funny 1

[91-BS]
Players
170 posts
1 hour ago, MixuS said:

Understatement of the year.

hahaha yeah! its pretty bad IMO and something i was looking forward to because i have every Brit & Us dreadnought in the game prem and non prem so this is abit of a let down. Its biggest issue is that 40 second reload! Its just to long and why its worse than ships that have the game guns makes no sense! (WG logic) Yeah its secondaries are nice for its tier when you have all the bells and whistles but if you ain't in range then what? :Smile_veryhappy:and since its slow people will soon crack on to keep out its range and it WON'T be able to keep up so you'll just end up getting shredded... Shame but for me its a total port queen!

[THESO]
Players
609 posts
12,140 battles

Looking at the Oklahoma stats, especially the main battery and the AP shells, I just can't understand what exactly WG has been thinking.

The main battery has god-awfully long reload. But this is fine -- it's a defining characteristic of the ship. I can deal with that.

The ship also has a great secondary battery with VERY long firing range for tier 5, more than 8 kilometers. This could potentially compensate for the very lacking DPM of the main battery. Take your secondary-build skipper from Massachusetts, Georgia and/or Ohio and you're ready to roll.

However, for whatever reason, for 0.9.10 Wargaming nerfed the AP shell Krupp value by whopping 40 % (source), and the call it finished. So maybe the ship WAS too strong in 0.9.9 and needed a nerf. But it makes absolutely no sense that the AP penetration of the 356's is much worse than the 305's of Wyoming. Even South Carolina in tier 3 has very similar penetration. 

Is there an unwritten rule that if something is free, then it has to be bad?

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Tester
209 posts
9,495 battles
12 hours ago, asalonen said:

The ship also has a great secondary battery with VERY long firing range for tier 5, more than 8 kilometers. This could potentially compensate for the very lacking DPM of the main battery. Take your secondary-build skipper from Massachusetts, Georgia and/or Ohio and you're ready to roll.

I'm definitely considering this if I ever think to play another game in it, although I predict that lack of speed prevents fully utilizing secondaries.

12 hours ago, asalonen said:

Some good ships they have given away for free earlier (or still do in case of Shinonome), not counting those you need some resource for, nor ships that got premium status due to tech tree changes: Oktober Revolution, Aigle, Kamikaze R, Shinonome, Indianapolis, earlier ARP Kongos, Myokos and ARP Takao (now with bonuses of actual premiums!), Lazo, PEF, Campbeltown, Gallant, Cossack (well not 100% free for most but still), London, Vampire, Siroco (goodness is debatable, but can be a beast top tier), Genova (I considered it crap when I got her, but it felt pretty good when I played her some time ago, buffed?), and IIRC at least one tier6 premium ship container has been given for free.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
609 posts
12,140 battles
2 hours ago, MixuS said:

I'm definitely considering this if I ever think to play another game in it, although I predict that lack of speed prevents fully utilizing secondaries.

I have plans for three-Oklahoma meme divisions. Most likely it'll provide some good laughs in a tier 5 or a tier 6 battle on a small map. Then when it just doesn't work... at least you can comfort each other.

I heard from elsewhere that Wargaming just ended up giving Oklahoma the old shells that New York used to have. Likely WG just got lazy when they wanted to nerf it. It's a tier 5 freebie, so just get it done. Make sure it's not OP, and move on...

• Funny 1

[91-BS]
Players
170 posts
13 hours ago, asalonen said:

Looking at the Oklahoma stats, especially the main battery and the AP shells, I just can't understand what exactly WG has been thinking.

The main battery has god-awfully long reload. But this is fine -- it's a defining characteristic of the ship. I can deal with that.

However, for whatever reason, for 0.9.10 Wargaming nerfed the AP shell Krupp value by whopping 40 % (source), and the call it finished. So maybe the ship WAS too strong in 0.9.9 and needed a nerf. But it makes absolutely no sense that the AP penetration of the 356's is much worse than the 305's of Wyoming. Even South Carolina in tier 3 has very similar penetration. 

Who knows what WG thinks these days haha

Oky is have essentially dropped main battery credentials for secondaries ones and not it a balanced way or should a say a healthy way. It should have really followed in the footsteps of P.E.F in fire power balancing *IMO 

A ship i consider capable in both fields.....

Tbh i don't know what i was expecting but it wasn't something this bad thats for sure. WG has definitely sandbagged poor oky, A ship i'd have happily paid for given more balance 

[91-BS]
Players
170 posts

Oklahoma, Such a huge disappointment!

As a lover of dreadnought era battleships, i was looking forward to adding another to my collection since i basically own a huge portion of; premium & non premium.

This IMO is thee worst of the bunch because it makes no sense for WG to build it this way whilst

I've made posts about ships being sucky before, usually i find something enjoyable about them in the end (West Virginia) but this is truly sucky because it just doesn't make sense, to me anyways.

Trying to bring a massa style dreadnought, it just doesn't work... Unless you have a 14Pt commander with all the bells and whistles its play style is absolutely rage inducing and for me this is a first in over 3 years of playing this game i genuinely think a ship is poor.

Why doesn't it make sense? Because it doesn't fit the dreadnought playstyle in general and what they do... Long range shelling!

but Oklahoma is like WGs attempt to make a dreadnought fast battleship battlecruiser type deal. Ether way i don't know what they was going for and the results suck! No wonder its free because its genuinely IMO the worst U.S BB in the game. Its absolutely hopeless at just about everything and i've tried playing it number of ways and my frustration always comes down to 1 thing. Its Main Battery Reload Time! And it didn't have to be so unbalanced, they would have ended up with something like a P.E.F gun set up but nope. WG had to completely drop any real main gun performance for this 11.5km top secondary range giving us a

completely unnecessary 40 seconds that is poor even by tier 5 standards which wouldn't be so bad if the shells hit hard but they don't

It just makes no sense to completely nerf the crap out of its reload time compared to similar style dreadnoughts and make its main guns just generally bad just to up its secondaries which can easily get worked around if you're smart.

Caught alone you can barely defend yourself and even if you do have all the bells and whistles applied getting the secondaries up to 11.5km i think it is whist flags, having poor main guns even by U.S bb standards is ridiculous because its what you rely on the most..

Long range, Shells don't seem to have the penetration power, Close range you're just completely screwed no matter what ship type it is because anything could run rings around you.

lo.png

I tried using it serval ways each have pitfalls.

Using it at range, its shells barely seem to do any DMG.

Close Range, its not much better and if you're unsupported you're completely stuffed because its reload time just gets you frustrated that you're getting the sht kicked out of you whist barely being able to respond and if you have a bad salvo you then have to wait another 40 seconds, a couple of those going bad and its basically night night.

Its secondaries only seen to keep whatever is shooting you at bay, cruisers will just and can kite you, Close BB combat will have thee other BB winning my DMP alone and i've had DDs so undeterred by Oklahoma they just get within 6km, smoke up and torp you.

How or why it performs so badly compared to ships so similar just doesn't make sense, WGs attempt of trying to get a round peg in a squire hole! 

Statically my worst ship and im pretty convince for me its cursed but i haven't won once using it and if a win have been near its gotten thrown.:Smile_facepalm:

If you don't have one, trust me you aint missing nothing. 

If you brought containers to get one, you got ripped off and if you was thinking about getting Oky, Get a Texas instead whilst not leaps better but at least it is better or even better, get an Arizona. Looks the same, same guns and 100x better and fun to play.

A little long and rambling (Tired) but you get the point. 

I hope:Smile_trollface:

[CATS]
Players
28,120 posts
14,893 battles
  • Do not use BB on long range
  • Use them on mid range
  • Go closer when there is an opening

WG needs to consider giving her decent AP shells.

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
10,224 posts
7,164 battles
49 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:
  • Use them on mid range

The secondary guns are funny but honestly don’t pack a punch. Plus speccing doesn’t do much as the accuracy improvement only works from T7 on.

Right now I agree that Oklahoma looks great but plays terrible.

I think reload down to the usual 34 secs or 36secs and better AP. Apparently AP got heavily nerfed from best to worst 35cm by adjusting the Krupp value just before release.

I think WG overdid it again here 

• Cool 1

Players
364 posts
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:
  • Use them on mid range

Subject of this thread is not HOW to play BB's.  Shitting something low-quality out just to have said something in every German and English thresd reeks of boredom. 

[CATS]
Players
28,120 posts
14,893 battles
2 minutes ago, rimmer_the said:

Subject of this thread is not HOW to play BB's.  Shitting something low-quality out just to have said something in every German and English thresd reeks of boredom. 

He was complaining she does not work at long range...

[-H-F-]
Players
11 posts
7,090 battles

Must agree with remarks about poor performance. 

I am a mediocre player at best, but I was very disappointed when I dropped a full broadside on a broadside Sinop at 6 km range and NONE of the shells penetrated. 

Same story when I encountered a Sharny at 4,5 km, 5 shell salvo and none penetrated. 

Strangely, at range, I get quite some overpens... on BBs and cruisers alike.  .

Yeah the secondaries are a bit of fun, but that doesn't compensate for the mains IMO. 

I tried her out with my 19 pnt captain from Georgia and honestly, it doesn't make a huge difference.  

I don't mind challenges, just as long as I can have fun with them, winning or losing, but I think this one is going back to the shelve for a while. 

But at the end of the day she's free so .... 

• Cool 1

[F_M_B]
Beta Tester
1,037 posts
6,240 battles
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

He was complaining she does not work at long range...

But with that speed you can not get into close range, so they need to work at long range.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
28,120 posts
14,893 battles
33 minutes ago, Spartan_93 said:

But with that speed you can not get into close range, so they need to work at long range.

That is no problem. Should the enemy pull away, you gain map control. And maps are limited in size.

• Cool 1

[91-BS]
Players
170 posts
8 hours ago, ColonelPete said:
  • Use them on mid range

I usually encounter real no problems long/mid range especially in the Arizona that just pens cruisers at any range but in oklahoma, it can't even do that. I was totally rambling in my complaint but you're right. WG definitely should consider giving the AP a buff  

[91-BS]
Players
170 posts
7 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

The secondary guns are funny but honestly don’t pack a punch. Plus speccing doesn’t do much as the accuracy improvement only works from T7 on.

Right now I agree that Oklahoma looks great but plays terrible.

I think reload down to the usual 34 secs or 36secs and better AP. Apparently AP got heavily nerfed from best to worst 35cm by adjusting the Krupp value just before release.

I think WG overdid it again here 

Yup, Totally hit that nerf a little to hard. For me its practically unplayable which is a shame because i enjoy this kinda play style.

[CATS]
Players
28,120 posts
14,893 battles
  • every BB hits better at mid range than at long range, going closer improves your damage output
  • a BB also tanks better for his teammates when stays at mid range instead of long range
  • going into close range can improve this further, but is only advisable in certain situations

[91-BS]
Players
170 posts
4 hours ago, FredW_2017 said:

Must agree with remarks about poor performance. 

I am a mediocre player at best, but I was very disappointed when I dropped a full broadside on a broadside Sinop at 6 km range and NONE of the shells penetrated. 

Same story when I encountered a Sharny at 4,5 km, 5 shell salvo and none penetrated. 

Strangely, at range, I get quite some overpens... on BBs and cruisers alike.  .

Yeah the secondaries are a bit of fun, but that doesn't compensate for the mains IMO. 

I tried her out with my 19 pnt captain from Georgia and honestly, it doesn't make a huge difference.  

I don't mind challenges, just as long as I can have fun with them, winning or losing, but I think this one is going back to the shelve for a while. 

But at the end of the day she's free so .... 

I couldn't agree more, the penetration values are completely weak. Things i'd usually citadel in other BBs of similar types some how Oklahoma can't do which is completely laughable which if the shells hit hard i guess i wouldn't mind the reload time as much but like i was saying it makes no sense to completely weaking main battery performance in order to boost its secondary performance, A playstyle that IMO doesn't suit this kinda of ship, not in the early stages of a battle anyways.

[91-BS]
Players
170 posts
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:
  • every BB hits better at mid range than at long range, going closer improves your damage output
  • a BB also tanks better for his teammates when stays at mid range instead of long range
  • going into close range can improve this further, but is only advisable in certain situations

usually i'd agree but Oklahoma ain't the one. :Smile_veryhappy: IMO 

[CATS]
Players
28,120 posts
14,893 battles
1 minute ago, Skyee_8492 said:

usually i'd agree but Oklahoma ain't the one. :Smile_veryhappy: IMO 

all bullett points apply to Oklahoma too